Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Weller and blantons are both wheated options but it's not really available at normal prices. Blantons is (retail) at the lower end of your budget after WASLT, but you'll probably have a hard time finding it. I've seen it a couple times at various places, but it's not consistently available. Weller is cheaper but also just as unavailable, and I've only ever seen weller special reserve and not regular weller. I have no real recommendations for specifically wheated bourbons because the "best" ones are all impossible to find at normal prices. Total wine has a makers barrel select and an MGP wheated bourbon from Redemption, but I haven't tried either of them.

Otherwise, you can get something like russel reserve single barrel select for that price, or you could visit the woodinville whiskey co for something local and see if they have anything selections in your price range--their normal lines are more like 45 post tax, but they may have other offerings. I don't have a huge amount of experience in the $80+ range for bourbon because there are just so many good sub-$60 options

Blanton's isn't wheated, it's a "high rye" mashbill. Still a great gift for a bourbon lover. EH Taylor is also solid if you can find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Vox Nihili posted:

Blanton's isn't wheated, it's a "high rye" mashbill. Still a great gift for a bourbon lover. EH Taylor is also solid if you can find it

Oops, my mistake. Still pretty difficult to find around here though. EH taylor straight rye is definitely available here since i've seen it at costco and various safeway/qfcs.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Booker's is $100 these days and is a pretty good bottle of bourbon.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Some of the higher end Jefferson's are tasty and in the $100 range. Old Forrester 1920 for around $70 is a winner too.

Weller 12 if you can find it, but good luck with that one.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I can't really think of any "easily available" bourbons at all in the $75+ price range - they all seem to be limited releases.

High West's Bourye is pretty tasty and widely available, I might suggest that.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks to all the Goons who have helped! My wife hasn't been directly exposed to SA yet (probably a reason she's still my wife :rimshot:) and she'll be impressed by the intelligence and helpfulness of the responses.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

A bottle of Old Weller Antique would be a good gift for a maker's drinker. I have a few bottles and can check the stores around me. They usually stock in Wednesday.

I'll leave the choice to her but this sounds solid. One question though, as you're a local -- good liquor stores in Seattle? I'm in West Seattle but am in First Hill/Capital Hill a lot of the time. Down to Tukwila or up to North Seattle wouldn't be a problem for an occasional trip but no desire to drive to Everett for a bottle of something that I'm not able to drink. ;).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Admiralty Flag posted:

Thanks to all the Goons who have helped! My wife hasn't been directly exposed to SA yet (probably a reason she's still my wife :rimshot:) and she'll be impressed by the intelligence and helpfulness of the responses.

I'll leave the choice to her but this sounds solid. One question though, as you're a local -- good liquor stores in Seattle? I'm in West Seattle but am in First Hill/Capital Hill a lot of the time. Down to Tukwila or up to North Seattle wouldn't be a problem for an occasional trip but no desire to drive to Everett for a bottle of something that I'm not able to drink. ;).

Ha! Nah I moved from the area years ago, sorry about the avatar confusion. I find it everywhere in Ohio. But if you need a bottle let me know via PM.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

What's the going rate for EH Taylor? I see a bunch of people have it in their collections but I have yet to try it. One of the small shops near me has a couple bottles for $55 - Worth it? They had Bookers as well but I don't think it was anywhere near $100 as mentioned above.

They also had Oban Little Bay marked down to $40 from $90, but I have no clue about scotch.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

emotive posted:

What's the going rate for EH Taylor? I see a bunch of people have it in their collections but I have yet to try it. One of the small shops near me has a couple bottles for $55 - Worth it? They had Bookers as well but I don't think it was anywhere near $100 as mentioned above.

They also had Oban Little Bay marked down to $40 from $90, but I have no clue about scotch.

Which EHT? I think it’s great. The Small Batch and Rye are my favorite. You should buy a bottle.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

emotive posted:

Small Batch ranges from $40-$55. It's the only one I've has--quite enjoyable but not a huge, mind-blowing whiskey or anything. I like it @ $40, especially for gifts.

Single Barrel seems to be in the $50-$70 range. Haven't had it. Supposedly it's a bit older.

Straight Rye seems to be in the $70-$90 range. Would love to try it but not willing to shell out quite that much.

I haven't seen the Full Proof on shelves but would be eager to try it. Probably around $80-$100.

There are a ton of other ultra-special EH Taylor releases ranging from "Four Grain" to "Tornado Surviving" that you'll never, ever see, each of which command seemingly absurd prices.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

emotive posted:

Oban 14 is still the best offering in their line-up, but any Oban OB for $40 seems worth it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

personally I don't buy non-age-statement scotch whisky anymore out of principle, and I don't think anyone should. However, $40 is probably a very good deal for what it is.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What principle is that?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Quarter Cask is a better whisky than the 10.

:colbert:

I’ll keep buying it as long as it’s tasty and relatively inexpensive.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’d throw maker’s mark cask strength into the recommendation pile, as well as the maker’s mark private select. I really enjoy the CS, and it’s about the only cask strength wheater you can actually find these days.

High west midwinter’s night dram is supposed to be really good and it comes in right around $100. It’s not super available but I’ve seen it around quite a bit in my neck of the woods. It’s a limited release and pretty unique.

Angels envy rum finished Rye is another that comes in right around $100. It’s most likely overpriced for what it is, but for someone that likes ‘smooth’ or ‘easy drinking’ whisky, angels envy can be a crowd pleaser.

Otherwise there are some limited edition stuff you might be able to find, but I have no experience with them. Woodford reserve master’s collection, Jim beam distillers edition, wild turkey revival(they have a couple I forget) , etc. those are usually on that $100-$150 range and while they may not be ‘worth’ it, they can be great gifts cause the bottles are generally fancy and it’s something they’d likely not buy for themselves.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

personally I don't buy non-age-statement scotch whisky anymore out of principle, and I don't think anyone should. However, $40 is probably a very good deal for what it is.

I've found that very young peated malt can be quite good (though the bottle Im thinking of admittedly does have an age statement--3 years).

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

emotive posted:

I would absolutely jump on a bottle. I’ve always enjoyed Little Bay. I haven’t had it in a few years. Like a previous poster said, any Oban bottle going for $40 is worth picking up.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I just got back from a trip to Europe, which included a few days in Edinburgh, a truly stunning city. The Scotch Whiskey Experience next to the castle is neat, if a bit hokey, but worth a visit. Part of the tour/tasting takes place in this gigantic collection.

Generally, I could take or leave scotch and prefer bourbon. Except when it comes to Islays. I want to drink all the Islays.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Someone on my bookface posted wedding photos taken in that collection

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My boss and I trade whiskey samples back and forth, and lately we’ve been doing them blind.
The last one I tried was just an absolute butterscotch bomb of a bourbon. It ended up being a woodford Reserve double oaked store pick.

Has anyone had a regular bottle of the double oaked? Did you get that same butterscotch flavor? It was really unique and now I want a bottle. Couldn’t drink it every night, but man, it was a total dessert whiskey.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I've been drinking Rare Breed recently (cask strength Wild Turkey). It's no ECBP or Stagg Jr, but for $38 it gets the job done almost as well and at (approximately) half the price. Basically a big old funky cinnamon bomb.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Lately my go to old fashioned whiskey is Old Overholt rye. $20 for a liter so very affordable but makes a tasty cocktail. Just the right amount of spice, not as pronounced as Rittenhouse.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

DoctaFun posted:

My boss and I trade whiskey samples back and forth, and lately we’ve been doing them blind.
The last one I tried was just an absolute butterscotch bomb of a bourbon. It ended up being a woodford Reserve double oaked store pick.

Has anyone had a regular bottle of the double oaked? Did you get that same butterscotch flavor? It was really unique and now I want a bottle. Couldn’t drink it every night, but man, it was a total dessert whiskey.

I had the regular DO at a Woodford tasting and remember it having a butterscotch flavor.

The strongest butterscotch I’ve experienced was actually the Forty Creek Copper Pot (Canadian whiskey).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Picked up the last bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year BIB (Apparently 2019's Best Whiskey).

It's ok. I like Stagg Jr. better.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Now that we know that Minnick's taste buds are broken who will we go to for bourbon recommendations. In all seriousness though, the McKenna was a single barrel so unless you got barrel 4976 you're not drinking the award winning bourbon. Heaven Hill could have cherry picked the best possible barrel for the competition.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think that's why we should be wary of single barrel recommendations. Maybe less so from people you know, but definitely "official" recommendations like this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Picked up the last bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year BIB (Apparently 2019's Best Whiskey).

It's ok. I like Stagg Jr. better.

McKenna was generally pretty good for like $25 but everyone has bumped up prices now and it's hit-or-miss at $35. In my experience, it tends to have pretty pronounced barrel notes (I had a bottle that tasted strongly like those cedar planks they sometimes cook salmon on), but there's enough variation that you really never know what you'll get. I always assumed that they used off-profile barrels that were otherwise intended for Elijah Craig.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vox Nihili posted:

McKenna was generally pretty good for like $25 but everyone has bumped up prices now and it's hit-or-miss at $35. In my experience, it tends to have pretty pronounced barrel notes (I had a bottle that tasted strongly like those cedar planks they sometimes cook salmon on), but there's enough variation that you really never know what you'll get. I always assumed that they used off-profile barrels that were otherwise intended for Elijah Craig.

ECBP and store-picked EC small batch bottles from groups I know always have blown McKenna out of the water in my opinion

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I've noticed a ton of variation bottle to bottle, but always found it to be reasonable at $30. Worst case, you get about what you expect for $30 bourbon, but occasionally you get a really great bottle. I agree though - it usually is kind of woody, though I don't mind.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The big benefit of McKenna being named world's best whiskey is that it'll keep people focused on that and away from my everyday favorite of OF 1920.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I sure wish I could find McKenna single barrel (I think this is the same as McKenna BiB?) at $35 or $45 in Southern California.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I've had 3 McKenna BiBs in recent memory; one terrible, one alright and one pretty great. Even for a single barrel brand the consistency doesn't seem to be there. But having another one again won't be an issue for awhile.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah, the variance for McKenna is significant. If they just went ahead and said they don't even check the barrels before bottling, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

In other news, I am now in love with Islay scotches, but the sticker shock coming from bourbon is a bit rough. I think my favorite from what I've tried at bars is Ardbeg Uigeadail, but at $85 a bottle, oof. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a runner-up, with Ardbeg 10 probably being the best value.

What is everyone's go-to Islay?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Lagavulin 16 is my everyday Scotch.

Uhh, not that I have an everyday Scotch.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Laphroaig 10 was on sale this weekend at Costco. Thirty something bucks a bottle. Good value imo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Laphroaig 10 was on sale this weekend at Costco. Thirty something bucks a bottle. Good value imo

Yeah, Laphroaig is the best value Islay, and as a bonus their cask strength and special release bottles are also regularly quite available in the $60-$90 range.

Lagavulin 12 (full strength annual release) is the Islay I've enjoyed the most overall, but the price is pretty stupid. For whatever reason I have a very strong aversion for Ardbeg, I get a a plasticky note from the peat that repulses me. I've only had the 10, though.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Laphroaig 10 is excellent too.

I’ve tried Lagavulin 16, and while it’s good, I found it to be a bit too mellow. How does the 8 year compare?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

All of you Islay fans should try Longrow if you get the chance.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's good op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
And also Kilkerran if you like the Sprinkbank ‘funky’ house style.