Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also finally got around to watching the RE2 Boundary Break video. Two neat snippets:

1) Mr. X is actually fully modelled and animated behind the wall when he busts an arm through to get Ben.

2) The transmitter in his temple actually has a tiny Umbrella logo on it!

Important to recognizable brand your secret clean-up murder monster. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Interesting fact brought brought up about Resident Evil 2 remake in this DMC5 vid - for DMC5 and RE2 they actually used costumed live models who they 3D-scanned and made character models out of. According to the capcom guy here, it lets them achieve a level of subtle detail you don't see in most other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biTDO9bfUYs

I'm thinking they also used this technique for Resident Evil 7.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spacedad posted:

Interesting fact brought brought up about Resident Evil 2 remake in this DMC5 vid - for DMC5 and RE2 they actually used costumed live models who they 3D-scanned and made character models out of. According to the capcom guy here, it lets them achieve a level of subtle detail you don't see in most other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biTDO9bfUYs

I'm thinking they also used this technique for Resident Evil 7.

Its some pretty awesome tech, not gonna lie. There was an interview with Stephanie Panisello, the mocap and voice actress for Claire, where she admits to playing Pattycake with Sherry’s actress as a bonding thing, but they did it in full mocap gear on-set, so on screen you could see Claire and Sherry just playing Pattycake and I really hope someone recorded that because that sounds adorable!

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Finally got Claire S+ and Leon S+, I forgot Leon A was alot easier.

I need to give the B scenarios a go in Hardcore now.

I have to say Capcom have done a really good job with this game I have not replayed a game this much in a very long time

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

VoLaTiLe posted:

I have to say Capcom have done a really good job with this game I have not replayed a game this much in a very long time

B is a lot easier imo, even though you get less time allowance. Because you can get the magnum and the SMG, with upgrades even! before you fight G1

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I went with Claire for my first run, and I just made it to the lab. I am enjoying the hell out of this. I thought the SMG was a trash gun at first, but fully upgraded it works really well for hosing down weak points.

I'm a little confused on how to use the spark shot. Do I just shoot something with it one by tapping RT, and then continue to focus on whatever I shot by holding down LT? What happens if I shoot something multiple times with it?

I haven't played the original since '98, but I was surprised by how familiar a lot of this felt. I'm excited to play through all of the scenarios.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 12, 2019

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Whoops, wrong thread

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You have to shoot the wire and hold down the fire button. You will see a bar that fills up. Once its full, release the fire button for an electric shock

You can only have one wire active, firing another will break the previous one.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 12, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm a little confused on how to use the spark shot. Do I just shoot something with it one by tapping RT, and then continue to focus on whatever I shot by holding down LT? What happens if I shoot something multiple times with it?

I haven't played the original since '98, but I was surprised by how familiar a lot of this felt. I'm excited to play through all of the scenarios.

Spark Shot you shoot something and then hold down LT while the little bar fills up. When it gets full it does an extra explosion that usually kills most things in 1 shot. Shooting things without the charge mechanic is just wasting bullets. Downside of it is that if there are multiple enemies coming at you it's hard to stay focused on 1 enemy for the time it takes to explode.

If you played the original in '98, you should check out the free DLC Capcom released that lets you change the skins to the '98 polygonal versions.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

I went with Claire for my first run, and I just made it to the lab. I am enjoying the hell out of this. I thought the SMG was a trash gun at first, but fully upgraded it works really well for hosing down weak point.

The note describing it is really poorly worded. You're supposed to shoot something and hold down the fire button until it bursts and overcharges. Then you can fire another. Anything else won't do maximum damage and you'll lose the dart anyways. It does a ton of damage on a zombie (though not necessarily kill it of course) and if you manage to hit a weakpoint on a boss-type enemy it can do really good damage.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

You're supposed to shoot something and hold down the fire button until it bursts and overcharges.

At least on console versions, I think you're supposed to hold down the aim button, not the fire button.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Also regarding the SMG, the gun actually has around 20 % dmg penalty against zombies but deals full dmg against other enemies.

It makes no sense but its a thing to keep in mind

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

At least on console versions, I think you're supposed to hold down the aim button, not the fire button.

Oh. Well that's weird.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

qbert posted:

I beat Claire's B scenario today but I have no muscle memory of this.

I might have to double check this later

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I've always just held down the aim button playing on PC with a PS4 controller and the Spark Shot charge mechanics have worked just fine. :shrug:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think I held down both triggers just to be safe.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Party Boat posted:

I think I held down both triggers just to be safe.

:same:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It makes sense to hold down aim, otherwise the charge bar goes away. Also you have to maintain line of sight with the target while aiming the whole time it's charging.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

qbert posted:

Spark Shot you shoot something and then hold down LT while the little bar fills up. When it gets full it does an extra explosion that usually kills most things in 1 shot. Shooting things without the charge mechanic is just wasting bullets. Downside of it is that if there are multiple enemies coming at you it's hard to stay focused on 1 enemy for the time it takes to explode.

If you played the original in '98, you should check out the free DLC Capcom released that lets you change the skins to the '98 polygonal versions.

OK, thanks. I will give it a go tonight only holding down the LT button after I fire a single shot. It sounds like I wasn't the only person confused as to how it works. I fired two shots at a sewer monster and managed to miss both times, so I said gently caress it and shot it with a flame grenade and finished it off with the SMG fire hose.

Thanks for the DLC tip, I will check that out.

WaltherFeng posted:

Also regarding the SMG, the gun actually has around 20 % dmg penalty against zombies but deals full dmg against other enemies.

It makes no sense but its a thing to keep in mind

This would explain why it felt so weak at first. I was running low on pistol ammo but had a bunch of SMG, so I decided to use the SMG on trash mobs. Between the recoil and low damage on zobmies, I was going through ammo like crazy, plus it didn't seem to stun enemies which left my vulnerable while I fumbled around with it. The suppressor increases damage by about 25% and tones down the recoil quite a bit, which makes it really good for certain situations. As far as late-game weapons go, it seems that the high-powered bullets are the best way to take care of zombies. Popping heads with 1 shot is satisfying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've got a technical question in regards to RE2make, Resident Evil 7 and probably other games running on that engine: does anyone else have an Nvidia card and issues with the graphics looking really over-bright and washed-out when using sRGB mode? In addition, there is this strange graphical noise that looks a bit like TV static, but smaller and in the color of the the background - it's particularly visible on flat colors. Whatever the problem is, it makes everything look noticeably lighter than it really should be, with what almost looks like a greyish-colored half-transparent overlay over the graphics proper. Imagine turning down contrast and turning up brightness on a game, but not the actual gamma setting. That's basically what it's like.

I can't figure out where it's coming from and it's driving me kind of nuts. The game looks fine under BT 709 or whatever it's called, it's noticeably darker and probably how everything ought to appear - but I'm not using a bloody expensive graphics card and a full-range monitor to play on a restricted color range, so I'd rather resolve the issue properly before I buy DMC 5 and find it doing the same thing. My system is fully updated and using not quite the newest graphics drivers, but still pretty new ones. A lot newer than RE7, anyway, so I don't think it's a driver issue, but I really have no idea because I'm also getting that issue where the Sparkshot will make the game hitch and stop for half a second with every flash, so clearly something is awry there.

Is this a known issue? If so, does anyone have an idea on how to solve it in any way other than changing the color range? There has to be something else wrong with my settings that I ought to be able to fix somehow, either with my graphics card or the game itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cardiovorax posted:

I've got a technical question in regards to RE2make, Resident Evil 7 and probably other games running on that engine: does anyone else have an Nvidia card and issues with the graphics looking really over-bright and washed-out when using sRGB mode? In addition, there is this strange graphical noise that looks a bit like TV static, but smaller and in the color of the the background - it's particularly visible on flat colors. Whatever the problem is, it makes everything look noticeably lighter than it really should be, with what almost looks like a greyish-colored half-transparent overlay over the graphics proper. Imagine turning down contrast and turning up brightness on a game, but not the actual gamma setting. That's basically what it's like.

I can't figure out where it's coming from and it's driving me kind of nuts. The game looks fine under BT 709 or whatever it's called, it's noticeably darker and probably how everything ought to appear - but I'm not using a bloody expensive graphics card and a full-range monitor to play on a restricted color range, so I'd rather resolve the issue properly before I buy DMC 5 and find it doing the same thing. My system is fully updated and using not quite the newest graphics drivers, but still pretty new ones. A lot newer than RE7, anyway, so I don't think it's a driver issue, but I really have no idea because I'm also getting that issue where the Sparkshot will make the game hitch and stop for half a second with every flash, so clearly something is awry there.

Is this a known issue? If so, does anyone have an idea on how to solve it in any way other than changing the color range? There has to be something else wrong with my settings that I ought to be able to fix somehow, either with my graphics card or the game itself.

Turn off HDR if it’s on and recalibrate brightness settings to “one darker than least visible” for both high and low ranges. The last two RE Engine games have had this problem on PC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh wow, I didn't think I'd have to turn it down that hard, so I never even tried. Yeah, that actually looks right, now. Also, I feel kind of like a doofus for never even noticing the film noise setting that I would swear didn't exist until I looked just now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I just figured it was a visual glitch that came from the same source.

You wouldn't have any idea what could be causing the Sparkshot thing, too? I've been having a similar issue in Monster Hunter World, which makes me think it might be a misconfiguration of graphics card on some level, but I can't imagine how one particular kind of bright light makes it freak out when no other effect in the entire game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Digital Foundry addressed the black levels in their video breakdowns. Fast forward to 3:45 on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvYJLU5FsQ&t=1080s

They come to the conclusion that the game is constantly color correcting from scene to scene, so trying to correct it on your end is basically a fools errand. They accept that the game just doesn't have deep blacks. With that said, I haven't tried turning down the levels as far as the poster above me recommended, so maybe DF came to the wrong conclusion.

I tried out BT 709 and I didn't think the game looked right. It was darker, but the colors otherwise seemed off to me.

Also, update your drivers to the newest version; it couldn't hurt. Lots of people seem to be having issues with the spark shot tanking performance. I'll check to see if it gives me any issues tonight, but it might just been an optimization problem. I'm curious if you have any monitoring software that may show a CPU or GPU utilization spike when the performance drops?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 12, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

They come to the conclusion that the game is constantly color correcting from scene to scene
I agree about the BT whatever settings, they're just unpleasantly drab. Also, the engine absolutely does that, you can even watch it happen when you do things like step through the door from the attic with the medal into the library, for example. The color of the light adjusts visibly.

I could swear it does a lot more than that, even. I have this really interesting effect where that particular transition will result in the floorboards of the library looking like the water-covered streets do - it dials up the reflection setting in a way that makes them look distinctly wet, like there are puddles on the ground. It's kind of fascinating to watch them slowly turn back to regular glossiness, actually. I never would have guessed that internally, "wetness" visuals are just different values applied to regular surface reflection shaders.

quote:

Also, update your drivers to the newest version; it couldn't hurt.
I'll give it a shot later. I've been leery about this since MHW is such a technical mess and I was glad to just get it running stable at all, but I don't really play the game anymore anyway.

quote:

I'm curious if you have any monitoring software that may show a CPU or GPU utilization spike when the performance drops?
I do, actually, that's a good idea and I tried that right now. Seems like that's a resounding "no." There are no visible spikes at all, or at least nothing that I could read as being a viable reason for lag spikes that last only a fraction of a second each. I'm barely hitting 50% usage on either end which makes sense, since I'm running a quadcore/1070 Ti combo that really isn't remotely hitting its limits with an engine this well-optimized.

It's not like the actual framerate drops, either. The game just... stops, for varying lengths of time seemingly dependent on the size of the flash visual itself.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 12, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I think the spark shot performance issue is almost definitely a glitch with the game, given how widespread it seems to be on all sorts of systems.

As for the weird swimmy effects you've noticed, the game's screen-space reflections aren't the best and can look distorted in certain situaitons. I wonder if the different lighting values during transitional color-correcting phases are causing elements of the scene to reflect for a moment when they otherwise wouldn't because of the different lighting values? It would be weird to assign the different surfaces different material values while the color correction happened.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh it didn’t go away entirely, the game still looks a touch too bright

Cardiovorax posted:

I agree about the BT whatever settings, they're just unpleasantly drab. Also, the engine absolutely does that, you can even watch it happen when you do things like step through the door from the attic with the medal into the library, for example. The color of the light adjusts visibly.

I could swear it does a lot more than that, even. I have this really interesting effect where that particular transition will result in the floorboards of the library looking like the water-covered streets do - it dials up the reflection setting in a way that makes them look distinctly wet, like there are puddles on the ground. It's kind of fascinating to watch them slowly turn back to regular glossiness, actually. I never would have guessed that internally, "wetness" visuals are just different values applied to regular surface reflection shaders.

I'll give it a shot later. I've been leery about this since MHW is such a technical mess and I was glad to just get it running stable at all, but I don't really play the game anymore anyway.

I do, actually, that's a good idea and I tried that right now. Seems like that's a resounding "no." There are no visible spikes at all, or at least nothing that I could read as being a viable reason for lag spikes that last only a fraction of a second each. I'm barely hitting 50% usage on either end which makes sense, since I'm running a quadcore/1070 Ti combo that really isn't remotely hitting its limits with an engine this well-optimized.

It's not like the actual framerate drops, either. The game just... stops, for varying lengths of time seemingly dependent on the size of the flash visual itself.

Sudden frame spikes can be a common problem with DX12 implementation, maybe change the rendering mode to 11 and see if there’s any improvement?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Oh yeah, good call. DX12 implementation is bad with this game, and pretty much everyone should be playing it on DX11.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't know if I've played a single game where DX12 was worth using at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I think the spark shot performance issue is almost definitely a glitch with the game, given how widespread it seems to be on all sorts of systems.
Yeah, I checked up on Google and the Steam forums about it a while ago and it seems to hit a lot of people for no clear reason. What I just can't figure out is why it would happen in two completely different games, with completely unrelated engines, during what is definitely the same kind of "camera/electric flash" visual effect, but which doesn't really seem all that special in any other way. It doesn't happen for flashbangs, for example.

quote:

It would be weird to assign the different surfaces different material values while the color correction happened.
I'm getting the impression that shaders, lighting and other settings are grouped together as "scenes" of sorts, so the game always changes the complete bundle of values whenever you transition between locations - it would make sense to do this because many areas just do not have reflective surfaces of that type, it's fairly rare. I might be mistaken, but I actually do not think there are any areas with wet surfaces that also also have glossy floor textures of that type, so they simply set it up to never do both at once. I would guess that it only happens in that particular transition because the attic area has a window to the outside, where the wetness shaders would naturally need to be applied, while the library is one of the few rooms that are completely closed off and also have reflective floors.

quote:

Sudden frame spikes can be a common problem with DX12 implementation, maybe change the rendering mode to 11 and see if there’s any improvement?
No, that definitely can't be it. I already had to force DX11 behaviour by config file because I was getting the black screen bug in certain places and this is the only thing that helped at all. It's also set to DX11 in the menu, though. Somewhat surprisingly, this actually made average performance worse for me - I started getting occasional little stutters that weren't there before.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 12, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr E posted:

I don't know if I've played a single game where DX12 was worth using at all.

Much like DX10 and DX11, it'll be worth it once DX+1 comes out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does this game use more than 8gb of ram? I have an nvidia 980, and my cpu is a 3770k and the game is on an ssd. my ram is the only possible weak point AFAIK and I get a good frame rate with a sudden drop/stutter every now and then, especially if I look around. I'm just using the recommended settings. Is there an optimization breakdown anywhere?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Capcom make any balance or difficulty changes to RE5 when they ported it to the PS4? A friend and I got the Resident Evil bug thanks to the remake and are making our way through it now but that stupid turret section and its boss are destroying us and we don't remember it being that hard.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

DX12 has its uses; iirc there are certain games that perform better if you have an AMD system (graphics and CPU) with DX12 than DX11.

DX11 doesn't support the fancy RTX / ray-tracing features on Nvidia's new GPUs, either. BF5 and Metro: Exodus are the only two games that currently have official ray-tracing support (and it's only worth using in Metro, imo), but as that number grows DX12 will become more important. My understanding is that DX12 gives developers much more control over low-level CPU tasks and multi-threading, as well as management. But that extra control means optimization can be more difficult, since some of the easy / automatic stuff that used to fall on the API now falls on devs, and they don't have enough experience yet to squeeze out its full potential.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

redreader posted:

Does this game use more than 8gb of ram? I have an nvidia 980, and my cpu is a 3770k and the game is on an ssd. my ram is the only possible weak point AFAIK and I get a good frame rate with a sudden drop/stutter every now and then, especially if I look around. I'm just using the recommended settings. Is there an optimization breakdown anywhere?

Indeed there is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvYJLU5FsQ&t=878s

I don't believe 8GB of system RAM would be a bottleneck for this game, but you might be getting some texture swapping between the 980 and your system RAM that's causing stutters, depending on your settings.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 13, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jimbot posted:

Did Capcom make any balance or difficulty changes to RE5 when they ported it to the PS4? A friend and I got the Resident Evil bug thanks to the remake and are making our way through it now but that stupid turret section and its boss are destroying us and we don't remember it being that hard.

That was always low-key the hardest part of the game. I know a few different people who would have cleared the whole game on Professional were it not for the turret levels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

That was always low-key the hardest part of the game. I know a few different people who would have cleared the whole game on Professional were it not for the turret levels.

Yeah the timing and area to hit to interrupt the boss is already tight on regular difficulties and it just gets even tighter on Professional. Especially if you're co-oping over the internet and have even a small amount of lag.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VoLaTiLe posted:

The re-playability is astonishing for such a relatively short game with a fairly tight environment. I don't know how Capcom took a decades old game, made so few real changes to it and still created something so fresh, fun and addictive but, yeah. Major kudos. It's rare that a game can "hook" me like this anymore since I feel like I've either seen it all or just don't have the time for 90 hour open world stuff but I mean god drat.

They really nailed it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of it is just in the enemy and weapon design. The old games were so rigid that you could literally count your bullets and know exactly what you needed to get through if you were so inclined. In REmake2 a single missed shot at the wrong time can be the difference between moving forward with no problems and instead being in caution and no healing items (or having to backtrack).

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Today I learned that although Mr. X makes a big scary entrance on Leon B run, he doesn't activate for good until you try to go to the Stars office sooooo I'm going to just take my time hoovering up everything on my first B run before I *OH gently caress new licker placements drat poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jimbot posted:

Wanderer posted:

We're talking about that stupid giant bastard right? Ndesu? That segment just plain loving sucks. The 'chase' along the savannah is okay but once you get to him it takes a massive nosedive and there's nothing you can really do about it except continue as many times as required. Clearing that on Professional is literally a load of trial-and-error bullshit until you learn when and where all the little majini shitlets will pop-up to distract you with small-arms fire while Ndesu is stomping around.

I hate it.

BiggerBoat posted:

The re-playability is astonishing for such a relatively short game with a fairly tight environment. I don't know how Capcom took a decades old game, made so few real changes to it and still created something so fresh, fun and addictive but, yeah. Major kudos. It's rare that a game can "hook" me like this anymore since I feel like I've either seen it all or just don't have the time for 90 hour open world stuff but I mean god drat.

They really nailed it.
Was talking about this sort of thing* without someone earlier. One example was how it took me ~60 hours to get through a game like Borderlands 2 back in 2012, and even though it's been over six years since then I've still done precisely gently caress-all with it. But here I am with REmake 2, somewhere over 65 hours total playtime, still finding the time to just clown around without a single "oh god, that part is still ages away" moment during any given playthrough. Replayability! It's something which vast open-world games seem to lose out on (at least as far as I care) because they end up being such a loving slog to get through the first time (with of all the grinding for gear/skills and empty travelling between objectives) that when you finally reach the endgame the very idea of running through it once more becomes the stuff of nightmares.

Meanwhile a short 4-hour casual SP experience like RE2 will draw me back in over and over again because even after the tenth time around the fine-tuned design means it's still always progressing in a way that feels rewarding. Even going through the sewer section, which I think is somewhat crap compared to the RPD and Lab, feels rewarding once you're done with it.

*Among other things, such as how/why RE managed to be the only fixed-camera series on PSX that succeeded in everything important and didn't look/play like utter poo poo, particularly when compared to the absolutely unspeakable waste of megabytes that was Men In Black.