Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I can never really tell the True Believers on Head-Fi apart from the people just posting bullshit to see what reactions you get, but I would guess that this loving loon

Falls in to the category of the former, based on his posting history.

grack fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

That Kitechaser dude is hilarious because he didn't notice a 4db channel imbalance with his RHA CL2 until some people at some Head-Fi meet measured his pair for him. Which then he noticed that 4dB difference but convinced himself that 4db was a tiny difference. Which then some people in the thread went "uuuuhhh dude 4db is freaking huge, you should return it" and he finally noticed the problem being pretty freaking bad.

existential anger fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 8, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Loving the thought of electrons carving out a path through the cable, like little miners with pickaxes.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You see it burns away the impurities making the cable better.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
And that it's somehow more efficient than the power traveling in a straight line across the surface of the metal wire.

Somebody touch the poop and make a post about the burn in of their power conditioner.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can't burn in a power conditioner, that will use up the conditioning agents. Everyone knows you're supposed to replace them every five years, two for optimal sound quality.

Though, since they begin to degrade as soon as they're used, you can replace them even more often for piece of mind and truely superior sound quality.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can refill the conditioners, just pour them in through the holes on the top. I use head-n-shoulders in mine to reduce static flakes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’d love to know how many women post on headfi. They must be outnumbered by thousands to one.
There's certain online niches that are, in the words of a paper I read once, "105% male." I know women who like having a nice sound system or good headphones but I know of zero who like to argue about it on the internet. There's a reason "WAF" is a thing [although I've seen people start using "spouse acceptance factor" lately].

e: the paper was about "research chemicals"/smart drugs/brain hacking

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
If the D30 is anything like the VX1, the blue LEDs on the front are extremely bright and annoying. Fortunately the front faceplate comes off really easily and you can shove some cotton in there to dim them to a reasonable level. Mine hasn’t caught fire yet in the twoish years I’ve had it.

Edit; oh poo poo I replied to something from two pages ago :[

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

finally gave the miniDSP a go, and I gotta say, pretty okay

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

grack posted:

I can never really tell the True Believers on Head-Fi apart from the people just posting bullshit to see what reactions you get, but I would guess that this loving loon

Falls in to the category of the former, based on his posting history.
The audio community seems to have a hard-on (or at least used to, haven't checked up on that) for the rubber mantled power cables of the company I work at. Actually, they're manufactured in my department. I wonder what mumbo-jumbo they'd come up with when I'd tell them that each spool of final cable that exists the extrusion line gets subjected to 2KV AC for 15 minutes to test for defects. That sure fucks up their "burn-in".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Now I want to see a video of a defective cable being tested.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The audio community seems to have a hard-on (or at least used to, haven't checked up on that) for the rubber mantled power cables of the company I work at. Actually, they're manufactured in my department. I wonder what mumbo-jumbo they'd come up with when I'd tell them that each spool of final cable that exists the extrusion line gets subjected to 2KV AC for 15 minutes to test for defects. That sure fucks up their "burn-in".

No, that speeds up the erosion of the electron channel, saving them break-in time. You should be charging extra for that service. The downside (upside?) is people will try to do it themselves to wire they bought elsewhere.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I should sell them flyback transformers salvaged out of old TVs for $20,000. Comes with a free waiver of liability!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Now I want to see a video of a defective cable being tested.
It's as unspectacular as can be, because there aren't any high currents. When there's a voltage drop, the test stops and the spool gets marked as faulty (--edit: then gets sent to another dept. that does testing on large gauges and figure out where the issue is with signal reflections and poo poo).

Also, with e.g. 3x2.5mm² there's typically like 6000 meters per spool (it gets cut into smaller pieces in another department). For anything to be visible, it'd need to happen on top.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Combat Pretzel posted:

The audio community seems to have a hard-on (or at least used to, haven't checked up on that) for the rubber mantled power cables of the company I work at.

You really should take advantage of that by releasing an ‘audiophile edition’ that costs 50c more to make but sells for $1,000 more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not in sales, and I don't think the sales department would care to contact companies to sell that poo poo, because we mainly sell to wholesales and projects. That said, if one of the companies would contact us and demand a few kilometers of pixie cable, they'd probably go for it, if it didn't involve much or any special steps. For instance, we're doing like a kilometer twice a year for a local company, because they'd like a combined cable with multiple core gauges.

We've a few products where we just change what we ink-stamp on the mantle in the middle of the production run, which adds up to 50% to the price just like that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you can figure out a way to do that “treatment” in a cryogenic chamber you could make bank. No joke.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's almost kinda cool that Sony are putting out insanely priced stuff because they were never really known for being exemplary in the audio arena so you've got all these little boutique companies charging a billion dollars for clearly lovely, shoddily produced products and then you have SONY producing 'better' stuff (in terms of these particular IEMs) with very few quality control issues.

I can imagine how hurt a proper audiophile would be listening to those IEMs, thinking they were from some boutique brand, talking them up only to find they were from Sony of all places.

Old Sony stuff from the '70s has a good reputation for being fantastic quality and being crazy reliable. I've got a matched set of a Sony amp/receiver/speakers from 1975 and Sony turntable from '76 and they're great and sounds wonderful. Plus you can pick up a lot of this old stuff off of eBay or Craigslist for very reasonable prices. I think my entire hi-fi ran me $600 in total after some very minor repair/refurb costs.

Anyway all of that old made in Japan stuff is great, the problem is when these companies moved all their manufacturing off shore to Korea, Taiwan and eventually China in the '80s and '90s. It's kinda funny actually, you can plot the decline of quality, affordable consumer audio equipment against the spread of neoliberalism and globalized capitalism pretty much 1:1.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sony CD players were always considered solid. (the standalone ones)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hellequin posted:

Old Sony stuff from the '70s has a good reputation for being fantastic quality and being crazy reliable. I've got a matched set of a Sony amp/receiver/speakers from 1975 and Sony turntable from '76 and they're great and sounds wonderful. Plus you can pick up a lot of this old stuff off of eBay or Craigslist for very reasonable prices. I think my entire hi-fi ran me $600 in total after some very minor repair/refurb costs.

Anyway all of that old made in Japan stuff is great, the problem is when these companies moved all their manufacturing off shore to Korea, Taiwan and eventually China in the '80s and '90s. It's kinda funny actually, you can plot the decline of quality, affordable consumer audio equipment against the spread of neoliberalism and globalized capitalism pretty much 1:1.

Japan was already the "cheap overseas Asian manufacturer" country of the 50s through mid 70s though, lol.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sony has put out some very good, and very well respected personal audio stuff over the last few years. Up until now it's also been pretty reasonably priced.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

grack posted:

Sony has put out some very good, and very well respected personal audio stuff over the last few years. Up until now it's also been pretty reasonably priced.

It's kind of funny watching them keep increasing the price on their "high resolution" Walkmen and headphones as they see how much that niche can bear. As it stands you can pay over three thousand dollars for one.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

qirex posted:

It's kind of funny watching them keep increasing the price on their "high resolution" Walkmen and headphones as they see how much that niche can bear. As it stands you can pay over three thousand dollars for one.

I'm very disappointed that's not a tape / CD player.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fishmech posted:

Japan was already the "cheap overseas Asian manufacturer" country of the 50s through mid 70s though, lol.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you have usernames turned off or something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do you have usernames turned off or something?

Ah, gently caress me. I didn't even notice in that vortex of "what the gently caress does that have to do with anything?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Ah, gently caress me. I didn't even notice in that vortex of "what the gently caress does that have to do with anything?"

Given one, I assume the other at this point.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

qirex posted:

I've said it before, but if companies can make money hawking overpriced poo poo to audiophiles, all the more power to them. Every time I (stupidly) go on Head-Fi, I leave thinking "Oh god I hope you all go bankrupt you loving retards."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

The accusation was that once everything moved off Japan we lost "quality affordable equipment". The point is Japan was already the "cheap junk" manufacturer of its day, so the accusation doesn't make sense. Also consumer audio equipment quality has only gone up over the years so it's bogus on that end too.

You can get equipment that blows away any stuff from the 70s for cheap as hell in the modern world.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Maybe a repost? Either way, courtesy of the AMD thread, for some reason:

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/elfidelity-axf-104-ultra-power-supply-filter/

Not stupidly expensive, but still...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In a time where electrical engineers can wrangle signaling accurately enough to transfer several tens of gigabits over a PCIe bus, they're still all considered somehow inept in electronics design and require a third party to supply a capacitor bank to smooth out power fluctuations on the power rail of said bus.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Who gives a crap about your PSU when EMI from unshielded components is still the biggest issue with PC audio.

Also, almost too cheap for this thread.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ItBreathes posted:

man, that is one ugly company logo

also, it's been done

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That HIS card is for pussies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ItBreathes posted:

I guess they couldn't sell them to Bitcoin miners anymore?

Also, this is a thing:
https://www.techpowerup.com/136908/evga-intros-power-boost-gadget-to-improve-pci-e-power-stability

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
So, in case anyone was wondering, the only power rails on the pcie edge connector are 12v and 3.3v. 12v is essentially never used as anything but an input to dc-dc converters. 3.3v is not used much at all anymore except as the digital io supply for a few miscellaneous low speed signals on the 1x finger of the edge connector (reset, presence detect, interrupt lines).

Exactly what any of these caps are supposed to do for you is beyond me. If your audio device happens to use 12 as the input to its local regulators maybe you’ll clean it up a little, but the truth is that bypass caps need to be as close as possible to the load they’re trying to help stabilize. Adding a pcie card full of caps won’t do much of anything besides stressing the ATX PSU more during power up due to higher inrush current.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I feel like I'm being a retarded audiophile so maybe it's the perfect one.

My PC runs audio via optical to a Schiit stack (Magni 2 uber, Modi 2 uber).

There are two settings to accomplish this in Windows: "speaker" and "SPDIF Passthrough".

I don't understand why, but the passthrough connection is FAR louder than the speaker option, and seemingly accomplishes the same goal in the end (and the PC volume still changes the passthrough volume, so it's not like it's louder because it's being passed through at full strength or whatever).

If I do run the passthrough option, this allows me to turn the gain on my Magni to the low setting.

They both sound pretty good to my ears, but it is loving impossible to tell because of the vast difference in volume.

So what setting is appropriate here? Am i being a loving idiot by even caring?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You should probably just use whichever.

Passthrough seems to really only affect surround audio. Leaving it enabled means you can also enjoy Dolby headphone effects in games and programs that support it.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Your first mistake was buying Schiit gear, which has been known to live up to its homonym