Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Man it's always so much fun when this thread turns to politics, I sure do love reading the same goddamn opinion phrased slightly differently over and over and over and over and

Cicadalek posted:

He has an annoying habit of announcing a twist or interpretation as if it was an earth-shattering revelation. "The book itself is a maze" is not an insight that needed that much buildup.

Also he's including clips from this channel that's pretending to be videos from Johnny Truant, but it's actually just another Night Mind channel? And they're kind of lovely?

I didn't make it much farther than the intro where he was talking about what an amazing and influential book this was and I'm like, "Bro, it was popular and did some cool stuff but hasn't really made that much of an impact on most creative work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

You know you sound like a Fox News anchor right now?

lol

lmfao

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I heard that Donald Trump is a less than ideal president. Is there any truth to this?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 12, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

Let's get our minds off of neoliberalism and chuds getting mad with this short comedy video I did on REAL Gamers, where I poke fun on the ridiculousness of the hardcore gamer types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLagG5zzG0

ArfJason posted:

what the gently caress is this post

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pull up! Pull Up!

New 3 arrows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_HdqYCDcVE

There is also a new Jack Saint but it's about Captain Marvel and we just stopped that one. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Ib3z0r0E8

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like Super Eyepatch Wolf but I think he pronounces 'film' with two syllables and I can't un-hear it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah as someone who grew up very poor getting a ticket to see a movie wouldn’t be something I would be extremely excited about. It would be neat but it’s not a transformative experience to see one movie in a theatre

I think it just comes down to middle class people who don’t really experience hardship and tend to see the poor as something from Oliver Twist I guess.
Honestly people raising that money sounds like it was a bunch of people at the same time chipping in and it suddenly just ballooning to that amount. What that charity should have done was also direct said people to an actual transformative charity.

Granted kids shouldn't be needing loving charity to have decent school lunches because lunches at schools should be free to begin with.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ArfJason posted:

what the gently caress is this post

Uhhhh, pretty self-explanatory?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Spark That Bled posted:

I wouldn't rule out some right-wing bloviator co-opting that song for their message.

"I love this guy! He hates liberals too! He knows what real Americans are talking about!"

And anything else would probably be swept under the carpet.

i have never heard any right wingers reference him weirdly enough.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly people raising that money sounds like it was a bunch of people at the same time chipping in and it suddenly just ballooning to that amount. What that charity should have done was also direct said people to an actual transformative charity.

Granted kids shouldn't be needing loving charity to have decent school lunches because lunches at schools should be free to begin with.

Clearly this wouldn't have happened with Black Panther.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

No I mean they literally worked with the Air Force and did co-marketing with them and poo poo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sanguinia posted:

I too hate charity, and also for children in desperate situations to be exposed to media that may inspire them or at least expose them to a positive message and potentially empowering role-model. All those idiots who paid for young black kids to see Black Panther really should be in prison when you think about it.

Raising $60,000 to ultimately give $20,000 to Disney as if Disney doesn't waste $20,000 on napkins every day. I mean, gently caress, maybe petition Disney to offer the screenings for free for underprivileged kids if you really think it's that important. As soon as you start 'buying something to piss off the chuds/libs,' congratulations, this is how and why people get scammed.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i also liked the idea in that post that if this charity scam didn't happen, these poor kids would have to suffer the whims of the 'cowboy channel' instead, and be tragically exposed to, like, Once Upon a Time in the West instead of a loud, stupid, mediocre super-hero movie

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MonsieurChoc posted:

No I mean they literally worked with the Air Force and did co-marketing with them and poo poo.

I also heard that the Air Force advertising wasn't as bad as it was assumed?

I can't fault you for disliking military involvement in Hollywood action movies, but I have to imagine that would be at odds with an anti-war message concerned with the plight of refugees.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spark That Bled posted:

I can't fault you for disliking military involvement in Hollywood action movies, but I have to imagine that would be at odds with an anti-war message concerned with the plight of refugees.

The us military helps fleeing refugees by toppling despotic regimes and dropping freedom right on top of oppressed people, citizen. The Air Force has certainly never created refugees, nor blown them apart from a great distance as an incidental part of regular operations. That Vietnamese girl shouldn’t have been so close to the forest.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The us military helps fleeing refugees by toppling despotic regimes and dropping freedom right on top of oppressed people, citizen. The Air Force has certainly never created refugees, nor blown them apart from a great distance as an incidental part of regular operations. That Vietnamese girl shouldn’t have been so close to the forest.

I think it's fun there are people unironically stanning for the US military and Faux feminism and organizing "charity drives" that gives money to one of the biggest corporations on the planet.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

So you're basically saying that Captain Marvel is vaporising Vietnamese girls in the new movie, then?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
hosed up if true.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spark That Bled posted:

Who cares how bad it was? It's there regardless. Cancerous pro-war propaganda being paraded around as the Big Progressive Marvel Movie. It's awful, the world we live in

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

McCloud posted:

I think it's fun there are people unironically stanning for the US military and Faux feminism and organizing "charity drives" that gives money to one of the biggest corporations on the planet.

Well, bad news about where food and shelter come from re: charity drives giving money to evil corporations.

Movies are frivolous compared to food and housing insecurity, but if kids were invited to see a movie for free, they’d probably like it. Like, the harm of all media being propaganda for the us global empire is pretty diffuse, such that it’s not going to hurt a bunch of kids worse than the years of being stalked by hungry recruiters who are allowed into their school cafeterias.

I agree that it’s dumb to act like getting kids a free screening of a movie is some great victory or even particularly meaningful, but it’s not worse than anything else people try to do for their communities.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spark That Bled posted:

So you're basically saying that Captain Marvel is vaporising Vietnamese girls in the new movie, then?

A pro-peace message can coexist with the militarism of us culture because people don’t typically think of them as at all related. War pilot is just a cool job associated with freedom and excitement, whereas the horrors of war are perpetrated by bad armies far away, as Americans typically imagine those things. And the movie keeps those things separate as well, as most movies do.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

YggiDee posted:

I like Super Eyepatch Wolf but I think he pronounces 'film' with two syllables and I can't un-hear it.

Is he Irish? That's usual there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

nah thats watchmen. she is never even a combat pilot. she gets picked by the secret kree defector scientist to make warp drive so they skrull refugees can find a safe place to escape the kree empire. also marvel than leaves to hell the refugees find a new home. the air force is in it but its mostly some top gun flashback type poo poo thats like 3 min total.

corn in the bible posted:

Who cares how bad it was? It's there regardless. Cancerous pro-war propaganda being paraded around as the Big Progressive Marvel Movie. It's awful, the world we live in

if it makes you feel better, military recruitment is dying hard in the last few years or at least the obvious stuff has.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

This is a very long thread and it's predecessors were also very long and had a lot of posters in them but Spark That Bled you might be the dumbest motherfucker who has ever posted in here

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alaois posted:

This is a very long thread and it's predecessors were also very long and had a lot of posters in them but Spark That Bled you might be the dumbest motherfucker who has ever posted in here

bababooey

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This thread has lore.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I think a 1$ pledge on patreon being a slap in the face almost gave me an aneurysm.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

my parents boyfriend posted:

I think a 1$ pledge on patreon being a slap in the face almost gave me an aneurysm.

I didn't know Stefan Molyneux posted here.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Alaois posted:

lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
for whatever it's worth, i respect you're posting alaois

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have to say, I wanted to at least get a sense of what this movie was about, even though I won't watch it because I've lost interest in superhero movies long ago, but that Wikipedia summary made absolutely no sense to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alaois posted:

Impossible, Mister Bibs used to post here.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm going to see Capt Marvel saturday with my friends cause we like movies that go pewpewpew woosh bhwop bam kapow. :3:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zedd posted:

I'm going to see Capt Marvel saturday with my friends cause we like movies that go pewpewpew woosh bhwop bam kapow. :3:

Enjoy your fascist pro-military propaganda, you rube.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Zedd posted:

i wish more people online were like you

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Captain Marvel continues the years-long Hollywood tradition of tantrically denying me, specifically, the satisfaction of seeing a Sonic Adventure 2 homage on the big screen.

i am so weary. one fuckin quote from such a quotable game is all i ask. if you're going to visually reference the True Ending of that game at least admit it!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'm really glad that the last page or so of this thread is loving indecipherable to me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ArfJason posted:

this thread is beyond cursed

This video was for the previous thread, and I keep meaning to make an updated version, but it's still applicable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3uZCVQyiY

DoubleCakes posted:

Let's get our minds off of neoliberalism and chuds getting mad with this short comedy video I did on REAL Gamers, where I poke fun on the ridiculousness of the hardcore gamer types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLagG5zzG0

I don't like saying this, but I think my version is better:

Sanguinia posted:

I too hate charity, and also for children in desperate situations to be exposed to media that may inspire them or at least expose them to a positive message and potentially empowering role-model. All those idiots who paid for young black kids to see Black Panther really should be in prison when you think about it.

I teach at a school where 75% of the student body is on free lunches and something like 40% of them don't even have a reliable place to sleep every night. The movie theater is one of maybe three places in town where those kids can go for fun where they don't have to worry about a drug bust or an exploding meth lab. Stupid superhero movies and a lot of other schlocky popcorn entertainment are pretty much the only things that theater carries. You can poo poo on Marvel and Star Wars and whatever all you want, and on the people who treat them as important films in the modern zeitgeist. But as far as I'm concerned if even one of the 11 year old girls in my English class feels better about herself as a human being because she saw it instead of sitting at home and absorbing some 60s trash on the cowboy movie channel (yes that's a thing here) where the female character's only job is to be borderline emotionally abused by the male lead as part of a "romance," then Disney did a good thing by making it.

I was going to say that I recall seeing there was a similar fundraising effort for Black Panther.

I think most people would argue, though, that with $60K worth of funds, it would be better spent on improving or adding something more long-term and beneficial to an under-privileged area (say a rec center, or funding for extra-curricular actitivites), as opposed to a film that's over in a few hours and with half of the proceeds going to Disney, who could probably provide five times that amount to a community without their bottom line going into the red.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuHWdSGOIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zedd posted:

hell same. it was some DBZ level laser poo poo.