Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I. M. Gei posted:

I used to say it too, but now that words like “retarded” are falling out of favor, using autism as a pejorative reads a little worse than it used to.

My bad. I've edited to a less lovely word. Hope this is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dino. posted:

My bad. I've edited to a less lovely word. Hope this is better?

cool thanks :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

He wasn't even the person asking about towels!!!

the av is similar to gitmo's, so this is gitmo most likely

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hey ummm isn’t this usually $250

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the av is similar to gitmo's, so this is gitmo most likely
no, this is the "ridicule" he was referring to

someone said to towel guy:

Lawnie posted:

You’re massively overthinking this

Or, gitmo moneyson parachute spotted?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

no, this is the "ridicule" he was referring to

someone said to towel guy:

Yeah and him, being gitmo, was ridiculed. I need to be an internet PI

/E I do have avs off for work so I would have never made the connection unless I wanted to see the pepe rendition

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Can we maybe drop that now? I feel like the derail has gone on long enough.

Steve Yun posted:

Not sure what the deal is with that one, but Amazon shows that model going for $500 at the lowest, so :shrug:

I’d buy it just in case. Or at least double check the model number.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 7, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yeah and him, being gitmo, was ridiculed. I need to be an internet PI

/E I do have avs off for work so I would have never made the connection unless I wanted to see the pepe rendition
Oh yes true. I thought you thought the towel guy with the weird green face gif avatar was gitmo given the weird green face gif avatar

Steve Yun posted:

Who do I know with a costco membership...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just to be clear that’s a business Costco I don’t think they have it at regular Costco

(you can get in with a regular costco card, they just have fewer locations)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 7, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i have the consumer/cheaper version of that and it's pretty convenient, fewer noodle types than that one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress now I’m craving pasta.

Does this thread have a particular favorite pasta maker, hand-crank or otherwise?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I like the Kitchen Aid pasta maker attachment.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I bought this guy about a year ago and freaking love it. Feels much sturdier than the last cheap one that I had and works perfectly.

I legit enjoy making fresh pasta even more than I enjoy eating it afterwards.

Edit: If you end up enjoying making pasta, get the lasagnette attachment. It's my favorite pasta, at a nice middle ground between fettuccine and papardelle.

Stay far away from the ravioli attachment though. It underfills and then squeezes filling all over the seams so they end up not sticking together well. There really is not actual shortcut for filled pastas.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Doom Rooster posted:

I bought this guy about a year ago and freaking love it. Feels much sturdier than the last cheap one that I had and works perfectly.

Seconding this. I looked at other brands but everything except one other Italian brand felt cheap and flimsy in comparison. My grandkids will probably be inheriting this machine.

Sad to hear the ravioli attachment doesn't work. I was suspicious about it and haven't got around to buying one yet. Back to Plan B - any recomendations for a tray or are there other ways to do it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

I legit enjoy making fresh pasta even more than I enjoy eating it afterwards.

Edit: If you end up enjoying making pasta, get the lasagnette attachment. It's my favorite pasta, at a nice middle ground between fettuccine and papardelle.

Stay far away from the ravioli attachment though. It underfills and then squeezes filling all over the seams so they end up not sticking together well. There really is not actual shortcut for filled pastas.

Funny you say this, I was just looking at a similar model that comes in a bunch of colors. Might be the same one, I’m not sure.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hexigrammus posted:

Seconding this. I looked at other brands but everything except one other Italian brand felt cheap and flimsy in comparison. My grandkids will probably be inheriting this machine.

Sad to hear the ravioli attachment doesn't work. I was suspicious about it and haven't got around to buying one yet. Back to Plan B - any recomendations for a tray or are there other ways to do it?

I haven't tried any of the trays, but seems like they should work and provide a consistent product. Right now I'm just doing the filling on one side, fold over method, or the double line of filling and lay another full sheet over the top. They come out rustic, but great.

I. M. Gei posted:

Funny you say this, I was just looking at a similar model that comes in a bunch of colors. Might be the same one, I’m not sure.

Yeah, looks to be the same 8320 model. Be aware though, none of the other cutters/attachments/motor are available in colors as far as I can tell, so you won't be able to match. I'd personally just get the standard stainless/chrome finish, since all of the attachments will match. If you super want a blue/red main unit though, more power to you.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Their colors thing is recent, they're trying to catch the KitchenAid magic.

The Marcato Atlas machine is the gold standard anyway. If you're gonna be making it yourself, and therefore have a maximum of two hands, consider getting the bundle with the motor so you don't have to use a hand for cranking.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
$250 for a pasta maker seems excessive. There’s zero chance that it’ll extrude 100% of the dough. I’m aware that 00 flour isn’t like gold, but the waste would be enough to annoy me about spending $259, and having waste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s why you get it for $100 at Costco Business (tm)

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Generally when costco prices end in a 7 it indicates the item is on sale reduced below the normal costco price.

So the manager probably wanted to just get rid of the rest of those pasta makers. Nice deal!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dino. posted:

$250 for a pasta maker seems excessive. There’s zero chance that it’ll extrude 100% of the dough. I’m aware that 00 flour isn’t like gold, but the waste would be enough to annoy me about spending $259, and having waste.

it does waste. Definitely a convenience machine. 15 minutes with 0 effort vs 45 to make it well by hand. You also can't do pure egg noodles, have to cut with water.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

The Marcato Atlas machine is the gold standard anyway.

And they last FOREVER. My mom's is 35 years old now, and it's still in perfect condition.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Given that PFAS are an emerging contaminate and known to be toxic/carcinogenic, and that the frying pans I have are Teflon, can anyone recommend a good 10" non-stick frying pan? We have stainless and cast iron, but one non-stick would be good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Buy the slightly upmarket tfal pan by whatever name they are calling it this season. Throw it out soon as it gets a scratch.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey Im looking to seriously upgrade my food processor this weekend since the bowl of my last one (one of the 3 in 1 ninja blender things) is starting to crack in half and its impossible to replace lmao. Im looking at the Breville Sous Chef stuff, is there other stuff in that price range thats worth looking at? Or is there some crazy expensive food processor thats worth shelling out even more for? Also does Breville live up to the hype it gets?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Control Volume posted:

Hey Im looking to seriously upgrade my food processor this weekend since the bowl of my last one (one of the 3 in 1 ninja blender things) is starting to crack in half and its impossible to replace lmao. Im looking at the Breville Sous Chef stuff, is there other stuff in that price range thats worth looking at? Or is there some crazy expensive food processor thats worth shelling out even more for? Also does Breville live up to the hype it gets?

Breville is generally good. I’m a former chef and I love my cuisinart food processor linked below, but it seems like it’s gone up in price recently. I think I paid about $120 for it.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4WV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B54HCbFQP5ZHT

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Possibly the dumbest question, but I'm looking for a new set of mixing bowls and I have no idea what I should be looking for. I just want a set that has at least one bigger bowl (honestly the bigger the better, an 8qt would be wonderful) for mixing bigger things/getting lazy and using to hold popcorn, that I can sometimes throw on a double boiler, and that isn't going to be lovely metal that falls to pieces if I leave something with acids in for an hour or so (like, for a short marinade). Also I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, the bowls are definitely going to get wrecked and need replacing eventually.

I thought this wasn't gunna be hard, but on Amazon I'm seeing weird-rear end reviews that say poo poo like "no only use this for mixing salads don't put hot liquids inside" and "this rusted while my lettuce was inside" and "GREAT MY DAUGHTER LOVE COOKIES BOX LOOKS GOOD WILL OPEN LATER TODAY" and nothing that just kinda says... "yeah this is half an orb what you can put foods in for cheffing at home"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you just want plain metal and dgaf, go to a restaurant supply store

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^Yup. Stainless is unequivocally the way to go.

I have a set from Costco that are Kirkland brand and quite good imo

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Breville is generally good. I’m a former chef and I love my cuisinart food processor linked below, but it seems like it’s gone up in price recently. I think I paid about $120 for it.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4WV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B54HCbFQP5ZHT

Seconding that this thing is built like a tank and well worth the investment if you can swing it.

Also mixing bowls don't matter. I inevitably use whatever set my mother most recently gifted me, which refreshes them every year or two. I think i have two plastic sets and a glass set.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Seconding Costco, I have a set of Tramontina bowls from there that are great.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The only reason I would argue against steel is if you do a lot ceviche or acid based cooking. So unless you plan on making a ton of acid based foods, then get some Costco steel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually really like glass mixing bowls so that when I have a bunch out on the counter I can more readily see what's in them, also I think I just enjoy using them more than the stainless, not sure why but I always grab the glass bowls. Maybe it's the way the light comes through them while you're beating eggs etc that just seems more aesthetic or something.

I used simple stainless ones years ago in a restaurant setting (I'm not a chef) and they always were beat to poo poo so maybe I'm associating them with that (or associating them with working for $6/hr emptying rat traps in the back of a hellhole diner).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I actually really like glass mixing bowls so that when I have a bunch out on the counter I can more readily see what's in them, also I think I just enjoy using them more than the stainless, not sure why but I always grab the glass bowls. Maybe it's the way the light comes through them while you're beating eggs etc that just seems more aesthetic or something.

I used simple stainless ones years ago in a restaurant setting (I'm not a chef) and they always were beat to poo poo so maybe I'm associating them with that (or associating them with working for $6/hr emptying rat traps in the back of a hellhole diner).

To me stainless steel are the lovely tiny bowls my mother used growing up that always screeched when the fork hit the side while she scrambled eggs or whatever.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I upgraded my mixing bowls lately and it was super worth it. They have silicone bottoms, etched measurements inside, and snap-on tops. And of course they nest perfectly. It looks Pinteresty but I regret nothing

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Any suggestions for glass meal prep containers? I found some oxo's that look good but, I don't want round ones and I don't need the tiny 4 oz containers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Verisimilidude posted:

I’m a former chef and I love my cuisinart food processor linked below, but it seems like it’s gone up in price recently. I think I paid about $120 for it.

I just bought one of these a week ago and it kicks rear end so far.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

I upgraded my mixing bowls lately and it was super worth it. They have silicone bottoms, etched measurements inside, and snap-on tops. And of course they nest perfectly. It looks Pinteresty but I regret nothing

Gonna link them or what?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp that $100 Panasonic pasta maker at Costco disappeared without a trace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Go for metal bowls, but don’t pay more than $10 per bowl. Alternatively, the OXO plastic bowls with rubber feet and pouring lips are fantastic and will last for a long rear end time if not forever.

OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U256CS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LJfICbNB1TK41

I personally own 2 small bowls, 3 medium, and 1 large and I always find myself on the lookout for more bowls. Serious cooks go for many cheap metal bowls. Casual cooks I’d say you’re ok with the OXO