Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Geemer posted:

I've never seen more irony in a post on the Something Awful forums. Shine on you crazy diamond, you.

Yeah I love how he just ignores the irrefutable slam dunks, cherry picking bits that he can pretend to have an argument against.

He reminds me a lot of Peter B(right) of Ars Technica, except Peter was usually actually right, though he was just as insufferable about it in the same manner. Peter managed to somehow still be likeable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol all i ever see is Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

lol all i ever see is Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

But enough about your posts

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So I made the switch to 10, and so far I like it, but the one thing that irks me a bit is fan control. Like, the graphics card used to spin up the fans when I'm in a game, but now everything stays silent. I barely notice a difference. Everything's more silent than it used to be, but I'm not sure if that's actually ok.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mike12345 posted:

So I made the switch to 10, and so far I like it, but the one thing that irks me a bit is fan control. Like, the graphics card used to spin up the fans when I'm in a game, but now everything stays silent. I barely notice a difference. Everything's more silent than it used to be, but I'm not sure if that's actually ok.

Windows 10, by itself, doesn't have any fan control.

If you aren't running some software with a fan controller, the only good explanation I can think of is that you upgraded from 7 and now your games are running in DX12 -- which is actually more efficient than 11 and thus running cooler. Alternately you updated your graphics drivers for the first time in ages and they've changed to a more lax fan curve.

You can grab HWinfo64 if you want to look at temperatures while you play games or something. Modern hardware has plenty of protection against overheat damage so it's definitely ok from a safety standpoint, it just reduces framerate if it has to throttle.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Klyith posted:

Windows 10, by itself, doesn't have any fan control.

If you aren't running some software with a fan controller, the only good explanation I can think of is that you upgraded from 7 and now your games are running in DX12 -- which is actually more efficient than 11 and thus running cooler. Alternately you updated your graphics drivers for the first time in ages and they've changed to a more lax fan curve.

You can grab HWinfo64 if you want to look at temperatures while you play games or something. Modern hardware has plenty of protection against overheat damage so it's definitely ok from a safety standpoint, it just reduces framerate if it has to throttle.

Ok, that's good to know. Yeah I upgraded from 7 to 10, must be DX12. Games look better, and it's running more silent, pretty cool.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I finally decide gently caress it, I'm going to have to switch to w10 eventually, might as well put it on my laptop. Now it freezes on boot unless I have the USB drive I used to install it plugged in. :confused:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sounds like it installed on the USB.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
It might have put one of the boot partitions on the USB, much like how it sometimes puts random recovery partitions on other drives I have installed.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

It might have put one of the boot partitions on the USB, much like how it sometimes puts random recovery partitions on other drives I have installed.

Probably the UEFI thingy.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I figure that's the case. I'll try to fix it tomorrow, since I think I can get it to trigger recovery without the disk in and then I should be able to reinstall/fix the bootloader without wiping my files (probably).

It's the sort of stuff that's been keeping me from upgrading thus far, though, just enough things break that it's frustrating to get it working like it did before.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

See that's the kind of poo poo that Just. Should. Not. Happen. anymore but it does. I don't blame anyone who's perfectly satisfied with their machines' present abilities and performance for clinging to 7 till support ends, and after that I wouldn't blame them for moving to 8.1 (gently caress the original 8) instead of 10. I ran 8.1 for a long time and loved it. It had lots of the good things about 10 but less of the fuckery. I only moved on to 10 for complicated convenience reasons, and rather than assume my mostly problem-free installations are a given, I frankly count myself lucky and knock on wood constantly.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

See that's the kind of poo poo that Just. Should. Not. Happen. anymore but it does. I don't blame anyone who's perfectly satisfied with their machines' present abilities and performance for clinging to 7 till support ends, and after that I wouldn't blame them for moving to 8.1 (gently caress the original 8) instead of 10. I ran 8.1 for a long time and loved it. It had lots of the good things about 10 but less of the fuckery. I only moved on to 10 for complicated convenience reasons, and rather than assume my mostly problem-free installations are a given, I frankly count myself lucky and knock on wood constantly.

Go run Win98.... ;)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't really get what the expectation is for this particular situation. If you install Windows 10 with a jacked up boot order, at least with BIOS it's going to put the bootloader where it needs to so that it can boot successfully. If you don't want that, disconnect the drives you don't want to install on or fix your boot order. It's not going to magically read your mind and know what drive you plan to use when there are other drives that are valid targets and higher in the list.

You can make the same thing happen in Windows 7 with BIOS. Try installing it with two+ drives in your boot order, not to the first drive, and then pull the first drive and let me know what happens when you try to boot again.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 12, 2019

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I'm trying to enable retpoline, and unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't work on my machine.

I'm running 1809 education on a i7-3770, KB4482887 installed, added the appropriate registry keys and even uninstalled Hyper-V to be sure.

No dice, Get-SpeculationControlSettings returns :

BTIKernelRetpolineEnabled : False
BTIKernelImportOptimizationEnabled : False

My motherboard is a Asus P8Z77-V LK, the BIOS is from 2014, but there's no newer one. Is it too old?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

pofcorn posted:

I'm trying to enable retpoline, and unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't work on my machine.

I'm running 1809 education on a i7-3770, KB4482887 installed, added the appropriate registry keys and even uninstalled Hyper-V to be sure.

My motherboard is a Asus P8Z77-V LK, the BIOS is from 2014, but there's no newer one. Is it too old?

Unfortunately, user-hostile or low-effort firmware is entirely capable of locking people out of things. Also wow that Asus dropped support for the board that quick.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The registry keys worked fine for me, with Hyper-V installed and running, so it must be an external factor.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pofcorn posted:

Did you install the current microcode for your CPU? Note that you will need to manually install an updated version of the microcode update with every new Feature update for Windows 10 (so, twice a year) - these tend to get released about a month after the updates starts deployment.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465065/kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates (or a more direct link to the update http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4465065)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eletriarnation posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't really get what the expectation is for this particular situation. If you install Windows with a jacked up boot order, it's going to put the EFI partition or bootloader or whatever where it needs to so that it can boot successfully. If you don't want that, disconnect the drives you don't want to install on or fix your boot order. It's not going to magically read your mind and know what drive you plan to use when there are other drives that are valid targets and higher in the list.

You can make the same thing happen in Windows 7 with BIOS. Try installing it with two+ drives in your boot order, not to the first drive, and then pull the first drive and let me know what happens when you try to boot again.

You have to put a USB drive ahead of the HD to boot the installer.

General advice for installing modern windows with the separate boot partitions is to make your system as simple as possible before installing. But in this case I can't imagine a laptop was equipped with half a dozen drives. Normally it is pretty good about not putting that stuff on a removable -- personally I've had more often when the installer is trying to *avoid* a drive for some reason. I think something must have been at least a little non-standard with the OP's system to make it put the bootloader on the USB stick that it was installing from.

I dunno, this is why I clean install every time.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, putting the bootloader on the drive containing the installation media is pretty :downs: no matter what. This isn't a bios problem.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Lambert posted:

Did you install the current microcode for your CPU? Note that you will need to manually install an updated version of the microcode update with every new Feature update for Windows 10 (so, twice a year) - these tend to get released about a month after the updates starts deployment.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465065/kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates (or a more direct link to the update http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4465065)

Thanks, but no luck I'm afraid. Oh well.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah, wouldn't take on my 2500k either. I know MS was claiming they were bundling the microcode update with the OS since my mobo manufacturer long since stopped supporting this hardware but I'm guessing there is some caveat somewhere that's stopping it from enabling.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, wouldn't take on my 2500k either. I know MS was claiming they were bundling the microcode update with the OS since my mobo manufacturer long since stopped supporting this hardware but I'm guessing there is some caveat somewhere that's stopping it from enabling.

It's not bundled with the OS, but part of a separate update (the one I linked) that doesn't tend to get installed automatically through Windows Update. They did push a previous version through WU, though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Woof, completely missed that. Thanks.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Well, turns out that turning off "Core isolation" in Defender did the trick.

I found that out after running hwinfo (to confirm the CPU microcode), it showed a message that Hyper-V was enabled even though it was uninstalled. Thought for a second and remembered that Defender had a setting that used virtualization.

All this because I wanted to play some Far Cry 3. It barely ran better than my old Phenom 2, I knew something was up. Went from 50 FPS to 120. God damnit, Intel.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I can't even get Windows 1809 to install to even try this. I've not deferred updates but win 10 automatic updates just won't even find it. It's been pushed to the Semi-Annual Channel, right? edit: clicking the check for updates button doesn't prompt 1809 to download

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MagusDraco posted:

I can't even get Windows 1809 to install to even try this. I've not deferred updates but win 10 automatic updates just won't even find it. It's been pushed to the Semi-Annual Channel, right?

If you want to update to 1809 but it's not being pushed to you (and if you aren't subject to the two software/driver blockers), you can use the windows 10 update assistant. Info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can also use the regular Media Creation Tool to update.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

astral posted:

If you want to update to 1809 but it's not being pushed to you (and you aren't subject to the two software/driver blockers), you can use the windows 10 update assistant. Info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Didn't realize I could force the update with that. I'm on an i5-3550 and am trying to eke out whatever life I can get out of it before building a new computer after Zen 2 shakes out. Thanks. Though I guess I should image my previous install in case 1809 causes me problems.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

MagusDraco posted:

Didn't realize I could force the update with that. I'm on an i5-3550 and am trying to eke out whatever life I can get out of it before building a new computer after Zen 2 shakes out. Thanks. Though I guess I should image my previous install in case 1809 causes me problems.

Windows 10 does that automatically, you can roll back for 10 days after installation of a new Feature update.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Lambert posted:

Windows 10 does that automatically, you can roll back for 10 days after installation of a new Feature update.

Yeah I remember that but also remember 1809 (or the first roll out of 1809) sometimes nuking your files

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 13, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Always good to have a backup.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does this retpoline fix apply only to Intel processors, or would it affect AMD ones as well?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hooah posted:

Does this retpoline fix apply only to Intel processors, or would it affect AMD ones as well?

Both. It's a change to how the kernel makes specific syscalls to by injecting a break point which stops the cpu from doing further speculative instructions. All AMD processors are compatible and most Intels though not the latest gens for reasons I haven't totally figured out yet.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

You have to put a USB drive ahead of the HD to boot the installer.

It might be the more obvious method, but it's not the only one; the one-time boot menu lets you do that too.

I wonder if there's a difference in how removable drives advertise themselves to the system that would affect whether Windows sees the drive as a valid target. I don't think it can really have a blanket exclusion, since installing to a USB drive isn't inherently an invalid choice.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Wouldn't/shouldn't the bios be telling the installer "yo this one's usb" regardless of what the drive reports?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Wouldn't/shouldn't the bios be telling the installer "yo this one's usb" regardless of what the drive reports?

Don't assume UEFI firmware isn't incredibly inept under any circumstances.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

most Intels though not the latest gens for reasons I haven't totally figured out yet.

I'm guessing the latest Intel processors have some kind of Spectre/Meltdown mitigation in place, and that might be incompatible with what retpoline is doing.

Just a guess, though.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm guessing the latest Intel processors have some kind of Spectre/Meltdown mitigation in place, and that might be incompatible with what retpoline is doing.

Just a guess, though.

Opposite, almost. Newer Intel CPUs (Skylake and later) do further unsafe speculative execution that can't be avoided entirely with a retpoline construct, so they are forced to use the slower microcode-based mitigation instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Not if the flash drive is advertising itself as a hard drive.

Or the system firmware is masking USB drives as hard drives for some godawful reason.

Depends on whether the board knows a given USB socket is inside or outside the case. And also whether, say, laptop manufacturers even considered that a user would manually install an OS and deprive the poor deprived mega-OEM of hundreds of dollars in service fees.