Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

The Dark Wind posted:

New guitar day!
It's a Schecter Reaper 7 Multiscale.
Jealous as hell. I was debating replacing my 7 with one of those. Interesting to hear the stock pickups are good, I figured those would be its weakest aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Death Panel Czar posted:

Jealous as hell. I was debating replacing my 7 with one of those. Interesting to hear the stock pickups are good, I figured those would be its weakest aspect.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how good the stock pups sounded. They're hot for a passive, a little less hot than my D-Activators. They can do chugs great like EMGs, without being overly compressed and one-notey, much more life to them. A tiny bit lacking in the mid range, but (I use a Line 6 Helix) putting a small eq bump before the amp in a couple of mid-range spots gave them a great snarl. They sound absolutely great clean, and the single coil tapping is surprisingly pretty useful (but I'm clueless as to what constitutes a good single-coil sound).

I have Fishman Fluence Moderns in my other 7 string and honestly I like these better. The fluences sound great but they can be way too noisy, especially when I'm trying to play 2 hand tapping parts. These handle that kind of playing a lot better, at least for me personally.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

If you had gotten a single coil guitar, you would have gotten one of these.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 9, 2019

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Any of you guys ever teach a youngin' to play? My cousin wants me to teach her 5 year old son, and I don't really know what to show him. We had one "lesson" so far where I showed him how to fret a note, but it's hard for him and the dogshit guitar my cousin got him isn't helping. The action is a mile off the fretboard and adjusting it at all leads to fretting-out all over the neck. I told my cousin I'd let him have one of mine when I see him again, but with him not being able to even fret notes I don't see him sticking with it 2 weeks from now. The other thing I showed him -- that he really seemed to enjoy -- was how to play with the knobs on the amp and guitar to do volume swells and tremolo effects, and that the drive button on his Frontman was the "radness" button. I also wrote down tabs for smoke on the water and seven nation army that he can play with his thumb on the low E, but I feel like that's putting the cart before the horse considering the only way he can fret a note is by using his thumb on the low E, and also because he has trouble picking individual strings which leads to him getting frustrated easily.

Any of you guys have thoughts on some sort of skills progression for kids that young? My cousin wants me to give him another "lesson" in 2 weeks, but without him being able to play at all I don't know what else I could possibly show him. My only real goal is to keep him interested in playing long enough until his fingers develop enough to actually play. Maybe just bring pedals over to let him fiddle with them? Like, show him how to do "skritch-a skritch-a" mute stuff with a wah.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The 2 most important things for that age are 1) being willing to commit to it or the parents making the kid commit to it and 2) having a playable instrument. Kids that age are incredibly fickle and that’s the biggest hurdle. If both are checked off then there are things you can do to teach that age but is start with the first.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
NO PEDALS FOR CHILDREN

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

The Dark Wind posted:

A tiny bit lacking in the mid range, but (I use a Line 6 Helix) putting a small eq bump before the amp in a couple of mid-range spots gave them a great snarl.
Messing with Helix Native made me wish I never threw out my old EQ- though I remember mine being noisier, maybe their model is better. There's enough poo poo I want to replace or upgrade that I probably oughta weigh it all against a Helix Stomp...

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I know that the stomp is limited to 6 blocks, so keep that in mind. That being said, if size isn't an issue, you can probably get a used LT for like $200 more than a new stomp. Absolutely worth the purchase in my opinion.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

So I want to learn classical guitar, which requires that I buy a classical guitar. Problem: I know *nothing* about acoustic guitars. Been playing electric for 17 years (thousands upon thousands of hours), have probably played acoustic guitars for less than an hour.

Budget is around $3-600. Could stretch that a little bit. I'll almost certainly stick with it because I sure do love drilling technique for hours on end, and yay a whole new set of techniques to master.

I went to a store and tried out a few but my main worry is that in a loud music store it's really hard to tell if a guitar will be too loud for apartment playing. I'd go with a silent guitar, but the Yamahas are a little outside of my budget and part of me wants to learn on a *real* instrument. Do they make...mutes?... for classical guitars? I work night shifts usually and I do a lot of practicing after midnight. Really I think I'd be fine with a Cordoba C7 or C9 if the volume isn't too bad.

Any suggestions?

if you're willing to spend the money, get something with a solid top. though keep in mind you can get a very playable classical guitar for like 100 - 200 bux on the used market if you don't mind having a laminate top

And if you're going to spend the money, make sure it has a nice pickup so you can plug in, otherwise you might have a hard time cutting thru the mix when jamming with friends

I suggest getting one with a cutaway.. because you're an electric player i bet you'll miss having access to those frets past the 12th

Think about the different kinds of music you'd like to play too! Will you be playing strictly classical, or would you maybe want to get into some jazz? Maybe you would prefer a gypsy jazz guitar or a flamenco guitar? Those guitars will usually have a spruce top, and many classical guitars have a spruce top too. Spruce gives you a bright sound, but you might prefer the more complex overtone-rich sound of cedar.

My classical is cedar, and I love the sound of it: http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitar_45488_concertcw.html I got it from this guy https://reverb.com/shop/slightlytouchedguitars?make=la-patrie

He fixes and sells guitars that get hosed up by UPS. The one I bought had a crack in the side, so I got it for like 400 instead of 650.

There's only one classical on there right now with a cutaway that's in your budget... but i would give it a miss because the damage is to the top, and thats where I would draw the line. But he posts new listings all the time, so maybe you can get something nicer than you would usually be able to afford

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
regarding apartment worries: i dont think you'll find a ton of variation in how loud all the classical guitars are. i feel like you won't really hear it thru a wall, and you would only hear it a little bit thru a closed door

i guess if you're playing at 4am you might look at something like this https://reverb.com/item/19358256-godin-multiac-nylon-encore-natural-sg-demo

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So thanks for the replies everyone.

Sweetwater had a Yamaha SLG200N demo (and I had a gift card leftover from the holidays) so I'll see how I gel with that once it gets here. Sounded pretty good in some of the videos I saw at least, and I bet if I run it through the right room IR it'll be good. But if it isn't I can just return it for a Cordoba.

I'm initially just trying to learn basic classical guitar technique. I'll probably start learning jazz eventually, but honestly one of my main motivations is that my wrists just loving HURT if I do my neoclassical shred technique routine two days in a row and I'd like to explore playing without a pick. (I don't like the way steel string acoustics sound.)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
pls dont play guitar in a way that causes pain. but im excited for you, playing without a pick is fun

for the best sound (imo) you're going to need to grow out your nails on your right hand. not too much, but some. and they'll need to be strong, so eat oatmeal (it helps)

you cant just grow your nails out out and call it good tho. you gotta file them down to round out the corners, then experiment with different shapes to get the best tone. everyones hands are different, but start with the suggestions here

https://medium.com/tonebase/fingernail-basics-for-classical-guitarists-length-shape-and-tools-tonebase-609af431e54d

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
fun thing about that yamaha silent guitar that i didn't know: the preamp/pickup models the sound of an actual classical guitar

so you dont have to listen to the raw signal from the piezo all the time, you can mix in as much of That Good poo poo as you want

i wonder if a future revision will let you choose between different models based on different recordings

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

pls dont play guitar in a way that causes pain.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Everything I play ends up hurting someone, somehow. It's a curse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rape Stink posted:

Any of you guys ever teach a youngin' to play? My cousin wants me to teach her 5 year old son, and I don't really know what to show him. We had one "lesson" so far where I showed him how to fret a note, but it's hard for him and the dogshit guitar my cousin got him isn't helping. The action is a mile off the fretboard and adjusting it at all leads to fretting-out all over the neck. I told my cousin I'd let him have one of mine when I see him again, but with him not being able to even fret notes I don't see him sticking with it 2 weeks from now. The other thing I showed him -- that he really seemed to enjoy -- was how to play with the knobs on the amp and guitar to do volume swells and tremolo effects, and that the drive button on his Frontman was the "radness" button. I also wrote down tabs for smoke on the water and seven nation army that he can play with his thumb on the low E, but I feel like that's putting the cart before the horse considering the only way he can fret a note is by using his thumb on the low E, and also because he has trouble picking individual strings which leads to him getting frustrated easily.

Any of you guys have thoughts on some sort of skills progression for kids that young? My cousin wants me to give him another "lesson" in 2 weeks, but without him being able to play at all I don't know what else I could possibly show him. My only real goal is to keep him interested in playing long enough until his fingers develop enough to actually play. Maybe just bring pedals over to let him fiddle with them? Like, show him how to do "skritch-a skritch-a" mute stuff with a wah.

I'd say the biggest concern would be getting him a guitar that's actually playable by his hands. I've heard countless stories of kids who have tried to play on some cheap $30 guitar and it was so painful and difficult because of the bad action that they gave up, thinking that all guitar was like that. If you don't want to spend money getting him a guitar, have him practice on whichever one of yours has the best action.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
would it be unreasonable to start a kid off on ukulele?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I need to replace a few old cables in my guitar setup, but I also only recently learned about instrument vs speaker cables. Do I need to use the latter in my effects loop, since that's post-preamp? Or are speaker cables only for after the final amplification stage?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Fender Anarchist posted:

are speaker cables only for after the final amplification stage?

ya, use a speaker cable for strong, already amplified signals

use an instrument cable for weak, unamplified signals that need to be shielded from noise

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey youtube content producer is a modern career

personally I reckon a uke is cool for a bab, it's a tiny guitar they can make noise with and maybe pick out some melodies, get them interested in music. But it's not a guitar, it's very different to play and it's obviously super limited in comparison. If they want to play uke, great! And getting them one when they're small will help them find out. It's no replacement for an acoustic though

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got my daughter a ukulele when she was 4. She liked it but within a year she was saying that she didn’t like that it didn’t sound like a guitar. She has perfect pitch so I’m not sure if that factored into it. When she was 5 1/2 I got her a Córdoba Mini instead. It can be tuned up a fourth and I think they consider that standard for that guitar but we keep it tuned standard so the strings are loose and very easy to press down. It isn’t too much bigger than a ukulele either and that’s now my go to for suggestions for young kids wanting a guitar.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Some guitar teachers do this for really little kids because even fractionally sized guitars still have full width necks sometimes. The teacher we tried said either way was fine for learning the basics of fretting notes and rhythm and stuff.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

So, my technique is solid. I'm not playing the instrument incorrectly. I'm playing a scalloped neck Strat with 8s tuned to Eb so it's literally impossible for me to play with too much tension in my hands without sounding horrifically out of tune. I'm just pushing into stupid Yngwie speed and if *anyone* tries to play 16th triplets at 120-140bpm for a few hours, I bet their hands would hurt too!

Unfortunately the only way I'm able to push to higher speeds is to do.... completely insane amounts of practice. Nothing else has worked, but this does in fact work. I'm not planning on doing this every day for forever, I just really wanna be able to play Far Beyond the Sun.

for the best sound (imo) you're going to need to grow out your nails on your right hand. not too much, but some. and they'll need to be strong, so eat oatmeal (it helps)

So, I just realized something: I'm gonna buy a bass soon and I wanted to learn finger style. Am I... going to be able to play classical guitar and bass at the same time? Seems like the nails for CG wouldn't survive a bass.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Nah, you will not need to contact bass strings with your nails. You'll see when you give it a try.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

For me I couldn’t keep playing bass with classical nails. It was actually one of the final reasons that I decided to give up playing classical. There was absolutely no way I could have classical nails of any length and fingerpick bass. Even varying up my bass technique.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I found nails being too short means my fingertips get sore, but they can't be very long either or they'll get in the way and, with rounds, get torn up by the strings.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
it really depends on the shape of your finger tips and fingernails. theres a lot of variation between different people

but you should be able to get them long enough you the tone you want on classical, without getting so long that they get in the way on bass

there's definitely such a thing as too long when it comes to classical guitar fingernails. if they get too long they can affect your timing because you'll get hung up on the strings, and your note will ring out a little bit late. especially when doing a rest stroke.

probably best to keep youe nails a consistent length by filing them every day

and if you lose a nail and have to regrow it, you can still play with a pick on classical guitar, no ones gonna report you. i cry to my guitarist friends whenever i have to switch to playing with a pick: "how do you ppl live like this?"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

you can still play with a pick on classical guitar, no ones gonna report you.

as always, if it's good enough for willie nelson, it's good enough for you

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
this is you're classical guitar

this is ur classical guitar on flatpicks

any questions?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the latter is responsible for some goodass tunes

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IB0trJoJU

On Christmas eve 1969 Willie's house caught fire. He rushed it, grabbed trigger and a pound of weed, had a friend stash the weed and saved his guitar.

Willie is the real deal.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The red headed strangler is the best.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

this is you're classical guitar

this is ur classical guitar on flatpicks

any questions?

I don't think I've ever... like in my entire life... hit the front of a guitar with a pick. First guitar pick was a Jazz III and I hold 'em super close to the tip such that I'm pretty sure it'd be *impossible* for me to hit the guitar.

Oh and by the way when I said I was in pain after playing I meant that my hands were really sore, not shooting weird severe pains. But I still wanna learn to fingerpick to give my wrist a break, and because I've always liked contrapuntal music and it's loving impossible to play with a pick.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 12, 2019

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Gnumonic posted:

I don't think I've ever... like in my entire life... hit the front of a guitar with a pick. First guitar pick was a Jazz III and I hold 'em super close to the tip such that I'm pretty sure it'd be *impossible* for me to hit the guitar.

Oh and by the way when I said I was in pain after playing I meant that my hands were really sore, not shooting weird severe pains. But I still wanna learn to fingerpick to give my wrist a break, and because I've always liked contrapuntal music and it's loving impossible to play with a pick.

I could be wrong since I haven’t seen him play much but I imagine it wasn’t the pick making the hole as much as his fingers/fingernails hitting the top over and over again as he was picking (ring and pinky fingers) that he just busted right through the top over countless thousands of hours of playing hard.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gorgar posted:

I found nails being too short means my fingertips get sore, but they can't be very long either or they'll get in the way and, with rounds, get torn up by the strings.
(we're still talking about bass right?)
I think it depends on your technique really - if you play with the tips obviously the nails will matter, if you play more with the pads of your fingers then not so much, but also the way you move between strings, the angle your fingers come in at, maybe even where on the string you play

I'm assuming if you get long nails you'll be able to develop a fingerstyle that works with them, although it'll limit what you're able to do. I play more with the pads of my fingers, but for very fast stuff the tips work better. Although that said, if I play fast gallop stuff I tend to play one of the notes by flicking my finger out, and that's from doing rasgueados, so maybe nails would help for that too? 🤔

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a good video out there of the herculean efforts put in to keep Trigger in playing condition. It's not Dan Erlewine, but it's a similar sort of video.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Hm. Maybe I'll buy some of those bass strings that are coated in nylon. That might help me save my nails.

I *hate* having long fingernails so I'll probably keep them as short as is humanly possible.

Though, question: Apparently nails are a new-ish thing with classical guitar? I was doing some reading and prior to Segovia the consensus was that flesh was superior. So maybe I could do alright, at least at first, without nails at all?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a good video out there of the herculean efforts put in to keep Trigger in playing condition. It's not Dan Erlewine, but it's a similar sort of video.

IIRC it's his cousin and he has such a soft, humble voice. I love it and I wish he would be in more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQuJTc5yFY

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

Hm. Maybe I'll buy some of those bass strings that are coated in nylon. That might help me save my nails.

I *hate* having long fingernails so I'll probably keep them as short as is humanly possible.

Though, question: Apparently nails are a new-ish thing with classical guitar? I was doing some reading and prior to Segovia the consensus was that flesh was superior. So maybe I could do alright, at least at first, without nails at all?

it might be a recent thing as of the turn of the 20th century. but my understanding is that today, the overwhelming majority of classical guitar players are waaaaay into nail care.

there are certainly guitarists out there who say they don't need nails. check them out and see what you think. some of them have a pretty good tone.

i personally have no idea how to make it sound good when my nails are cut down completely. my understanding is that you should be playing with a combination of flesh and nail. the nails should be short enough that you can control your tone by adjusting how much flesh vs nail you use on each stroke. too long, and they'll get in your way. too short, and you cut off half of your tonal possibilities.

if you can stop clipping your nails and start filling them down instead, you'll find a length you can live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
also, WTF!? tearing your gross long finger nails all the way off is fuckin brutal. i thought metalheads were into that poo poo :getin:

anyway this is how my fingernails look irl, but you'res only need to be half as long

e: planning to lol when the modeling preamp in that silent guitar makes it sound great either way

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 13, 2019