Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

the fact that another DLC pack is being prepared while there's still no loving bulk deletion option is beyond bad

I mean those two things aren't really connected so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Running an mma promotion in promoter mode is basically cheating and seems to never yield matches under 85%

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My Strong Style promotion has had one under 80% match and that one match was because it didn’t even last 10 minutes due to RNG picking to do a finisher basically twice in a row.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Running an mma promotion in promoter mode is basically cheating and seems to never yield matches under 85%

So it turns out that mma promotions lead to way higher injury rates uh oh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I built up a roster over the course of 3 years and the biggest payoff I had yet after all the disappointments and misses and near-bankruptcy was mid-year 3, my best card yet. 10 matches, the opening match was 74%. After that nothing had less than 92%, 96% average and 6 100s :unsmith:

this honestly might already be my most-played game in years, and I haven't even tried a promotion with the CAWs/workshop versions of real wrestlers yet

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If I had more confidence in my own edit's ability to play well with other people edits and more of them were finished (I got 14 I think?) I'd upload them all for goons to use as a competitor promotion or whatever.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I know everyone is having fun with FirePro's promoter mode, but Ryland over at Grey Dog has posted a series of dev diaries detailing the complete overhaul of broadcasters and television controls. Read them here (starts at the bottom of the page.

Brief overview:
- Broadcasters are still divided into Free-To-Air, Subscription, Commercial, and Pay-Per-View, but are now also divided into Terrestrial, Cable, and Internet. Internet pays the least, Terrestrial is the hardest to work with.
- The reach is now uniform, a Big PPV now will be watched the same as Big Commercial.
- He's added Company Pays so you can pay a broadcaster to get better terms, and Broadcaster Pays to represent how WWE gets paid money for Raw and Smackdown. In addition you can negotiate revenue splits.
- Clashing Coverage is allowed unless you grant the broadcaster exclusive rights, but can also negotiate an exception to that for your own broadcasters (i.e. WWE Network). Viewers will go with the cheapest possible option to watch the show.
- Ratings compete against each other for shows in the same time slot, meaning you can have an actual Monday Night War scenario, rather than both shows getting full viewership.
- Other TV shows are back so if you go head-to-head with the Superbowl you're gonna get absolutely loving destroyed.
- You have full control over your child companies so you can negotiate on behalf of your developmental league to get them a TV show.
- You can create as many child broadcasters as you want, and small broadcasters can be cheap, so your tiny little company can have its own on-demand library without it bankrupting you.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thanks for posting the TEW updates. I'm assuming he's still making this in whatever weird ancient software the previous TEWs were made in? It's a great game, but everything from the DRM to the UI is a pain.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Thanks for posting the TEW updates. I'm assuming he's still making this in whatever weird ancient software the previous TEWs were made in? It's a great game, but everything from the DRM to the UI is a pain.

eLicense is basically the biggest reason I haven't purchased another version. I get where he's coming from with it, but man it's annoying to deal with since I play games on multiple computers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triplexpac posted:

it’s done in winforms and, as someone who works on an ancient winforms app, let me tell you they’re a major loving pain in the rear end to port reliably to something else

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I'm used to the UI, I just hope Microsoft Access 95 or whatever the gently caress he uses doesn't hold back the AI decisions, processing time part of the game. Wrestling companies have a lot of turnover!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played TEW once like 8 or so years ago and took over booking what I thought was their equivalent to Shimmer but it turned out to be GLOW and all the fans hated it because I was trying to book actual matches and stipulations instead of giving everyone a wacky one note character. I’d booked like 5 shows and storylines in advance too so I just kind of noped away after my first D- rated show and never looked back

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Aesop Poprock posted:

I played TEW once like 8 or so years ago and took over booking what I thought was their equivalent to Shimmer but it turned out to be GLOW and all the fans hated it because I was trying to book actual matches and stipulations instead of giving everyone a wacky one note character. I’d booked like 5 shows and storylines in advance too so I just kind of noped away after my first D- rated show and never looked back

Right, that's probably BSC. It was literally two or three workers with talent and the rest were barely trained strippers. For serious women's wrestling there's AAA (basically SHIMMER), QAW (mixture of Lucha and brawling) and 5SSW (Joshi).
Just gotta remember that a D- rated show for a small company isn't the same as one for a National company and you just gotta have shows that are rated higher than your popularity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's the problem with TEW, really. The learning curve is SO steep, especially if you don't have someone who knows the game answering questions or giving tips. Stuff like "You have to check the product settings because the entire definition of a good or bad show is based on what those fans are going to expect" or "you gotta pace your show because if you burn everyone out with big matches the crowd will die" or "if you're a D company you can't get As not matter how hard you try until you raise your company" can really be enthusiasm killers if you just made a ton of effort booking stuff to get a big dud.

But then again its that deep engagement that makes TEW great. Its just not very accessible if you haven't been playing some variation of it for a decade or two.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So thanks to getting and HDMI adaptor for my PS2 and some new controllers was able to finally try a game I had bought months ago; Smackdown vs Raw 2007, and overall it's pretty fun, although it's definitely harder than it should be, and I hate the mechanic it uses for getting up after getting knocked down

Also kinda funny seeing a WWE game in what's probably the era I know the least about, I recognize almost nobody on the roster who was actually with the company at the time(also the :magical: moment I had when I realized that Chris Benoit was on the roster)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
WWF signed away Nash and Pump in my 2001 WCW scenario, so I'm having fun burying Nash on the way out.

Not Scott though... never Scott.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always enjoy being a vindictive poo poo when WWE starts raiding my guys. If WWE waited until the day after I offered you a big extension to offer you a bigger one then you can thank them for your job exit out the door.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

triplexpac posted:

WWF signed away Nash and Pump in my 2001 WCW scenario, so I'm having fun burying Nash on the way out.

Not Scott though... never Scott.

TEW should totally code in support for certain wrestlers beating the ever loving poo poo out of you if you start loving with their push.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Fire Pro stream starts at 11:30 Central.

Midwest Wrestling Kartel presents:
Where Do You Think You're Going?

https://www.twitch.tv/doctordelaware

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Does anybody know if the new dudes in Fire Promoter mode are originals like the SWA guys in the base game or are they old school Fire Pro copyright-friendly versions of real guys?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

All completely made up guys.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Also regarding Fire Promoter: when setting up your rosters, what’s the difference between active, free agent and inactive wrestlers?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sandman McMahon posted:

Also regarding Fire Promoter: when setting up your rosters, what’s the difference between active, free agent and inactive wrestlers?

Active wrestlers are those who are currently signed to a given promotion
Free agents are wrestlers that can be hired or temporarily brought on for a show, not signed to any promotion
Inactive wrestlers don't show up in your promoter mode game at all (unless they're discovered via scouting at which point they get added to Free Agents)

I believe that's the distinction.

EDIT: The post below me is probably more accurate :shobon:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 11, 2019

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Sandman McMahon posted:

There are the six guys you pick that you want to start with. Then free agents are guys that can potentially be recruited (by you or the computer) and occasionally need to be scouted so they appear. Inactive means they won't appear anywhere in your game at all.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Big news on the TEW 2020 development front. Buried in the middle of the third post of a series on changes to how broadcasting works:

quote:

One of the new features that gels with that is the ability for companies to 'block tape' TV shows. A company can now tape up to four episodes at once. The advantage of this is that it slashes the cost of producing the show (because everything is already in place so there's no need to transport of set-up multiple times), but the disadvantage is that the further ahead a show is taped, the more its ratings are going to get reduced, therefore the company will potentially be losing out on valuable broadcast revenue.

Finally, a feature I've been wanting since TEW started.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I can’t really imagine what a nightmare it would be to balance everything in the game, but you’d need to tweak it such that block taping is profitable within a specific section of a fed’s lifecycle. Somewhere between a popular top-tier regional indie and a powerhouse that can afford live TV / is popular enough to turn a profit on tour.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'd say the best way to make it super understandable is let scenario creators define how omnipresent the internet is when they create their scenarios. If it's not around, it's nearly completely indistinguishable from a live show. If the internet is omnipresent, it's significantly penalized.

E: or maybe the better the show, the less penalized it is. Put on an all-time great TV show and fans will watch regardless of leaks to see the greatness. Put on a stinker and fans will tune out en masse.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 12, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You’d have to have some figure to determine the chance a rival promotion gets the results and spoils them on air

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

You’d have to have some figure to determine the chance a rival promotion gets the results and spoils them on air

100%, all they need to do is buy a ticket and have someone send write them down.

Make it part of dirty tricks to see if they actually do spoil them, but (obviously) let it backfire.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I was real excited to get into Fire Pro, but I think my twitch reflexes aren’t where they need to be anymore to manage the grapple timing, which is a unique combination of disappointing and embarrassing. Am I missing something, or is the window really that small? I’ve never encountered this in a game before.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Play around with the mission mode a bit. The timing changed a bit from returns so you need to relearn it, but it isn’t that bad once you do. The lower difficulties will give you forever as well to do a move so there is a decent amount of leeway if you can’t get it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I had trouble for a bit too, but up to AI level 6 or 7, the timing is pretty forgiving as the AI won't do an input for a half second or so

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I was real excited to get into Fire Pro, but I think my twitch reflexes aren’t where they need to be anymore to manage the grapple timing, which is a unique combination of disappointing and embarrassing. Am I missing something, or is the window really that small? I’ve never encountered this in a game before.

The moment to enter a command in Fire Pro is when the wrestlers stamp their front feet on the mat during the lockup. So either watch the feet or listen for the stamp. Whichever wrestlers gets closer to that perfect moment of timing performs their move. However if you try to execute really powerful moves early on, there is a chance it will be countered by the opponent automatically.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The moment to enter a command in Fire Pro is when the wrestlers stamp their front feet on the mat during the lockup. So either watch the feet or listen for the stamp. Whichever wrestlers gets closer to that perfect moment of timing performs their move. However if you try to execute really powerful moves early on, there is a chance it will be countered by the opponent automatically.

Or sometimes ZSJ puts you in an octopus hold and crits 30 seconds into the match.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

JUST
TAP
OUT

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Or sometimes ZSJ puts you in an octopus hold and crits 30 seconds into the match.

Well I mean they have to have some level of realism

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tew sticking with the ancient system also means it's still gonna be windows only. would love to give it another shot but i've been mac only for 5 years

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Couple new moves in the DLC
https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/1105699378776297472?s=19

https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/1105805277738164224?s=19

Also included in the next patch is a Rainmaker setup
https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/1105712369685008384?s=19

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oooh that Rainmaker setup is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So there's a miniature nerd game called Heroclix. It is a fun game I very much enjoy that has the reputation of having an extremely convoluted rule set due to 15+ years of experimentation. It is predominantly based on comic book superheroes, but they have branched out into Ninja Turtles, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings and even Street Fighter and Yu-Gi-Oh in the past.

They are going to release WWE-based Heroclix later this summer.

Here is a preview image of the miniatures that was recently revealed.

This is a game that already has Muhammad Ali thanks to the classic comic he appeared in with Superman. Now I can team him up with Macho Man Randy Savage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!