Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

Just messing with you.

It's cool. Seems like the app can't connect to their servers. Maybe they got turned off?

Seems like notification badges are working, they just don't show up anymore for Google Play Music or Pocket Casts when their player controls are in the notification shade. That makes sense to me and I guess I like it, but I'm just used to seeing them, so is a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Uthor posted:

It's cool. Seems like the app can't connect to their servers. Maybe they got turned off?

Seems like notification badges are working, they just don't show up anymore for Google Play Music or Pocket Casts when their player controls are in the notification shade. That makes sense to me and I guess I like it, but I'm just used to seeing them, so is a little weird.

Judging by the reviews Beautiful Widgets is broken under Pie because of excessive battery use. Have you tried excluding it from optimization?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Judging by the reviews Beautiful Widgets is broken under Pie because of excessive battery use. Have you tried excluding it from optimization?

It's been working fine until this week. It's definitely a connection issue.

Edit: lol, all their social media has been silent since like 2015, except for a tweet about a server outage in January.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 9, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
When I had a jailbroken iPhone I was able to add passcodes to individual apps, and I miss this capability. Is there any way to do this, or any decent apps that add this function?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My wife's Chrome app on her Moto X4 is giving her a constant navigation bar at the bottom (back, forward, reload, etc) . I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Anyone seen this before?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

LastInLine posted:

These are the kind of bugs that the beta had for a while and why I'm surprised they went stable. Besides the ambiguity of the command, why would the app not ask for confirmation before downloading ~500 episodes? Pretty much every complaint I have about the app in its current form revolves around things like this.

Does "[Action] from here" mean in the current sort order down? Up? By release date or episode number? Is it inclusive of the item I've selected? I hate ambiguous options that you can't be sure of the outcome before invoking them, especially when it can affect a lot of things at once. Either give a visual cue as to what will happen or ask for confirmation. That's what multiselect allows you to do and what the current system does not.

It's fairly indicative of modern software design. Simple, clean and text-less designs are seen to be the most desirable, and since a lot of the teams don't have any real UI/UX experts in-house they just cargo cult what's popular. From working for a few software companies, trying to get designers to understand that what they think is clear and obvious is completely ambiguous is a massive challenge. Couple that with almost no documentation being written (because lol at Devs ever doing any if not at gunpoint) and you end up with incomprehensible garbage.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My wife's Chrome app on her Moto X4 is giving her a constant navigation bar at the bottom (back, forward, reload, etc) . I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Anyone seen this before?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/chrome-69-for-ios-moved-navigation-bar-to-bottom-of-screen-and-users-are-unhappy/

Nope, it's a Chrome for iOS thing. I don't know if they'll move it to Android since it still uses the on-screen home pill thing but yeah.

EDIT: Looks like Android may get it too.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/10/chrome-for-android-might-get-a-bottom-tab-switcher/

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 11, 2019

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

BisterdDave posted:

When I had a jailbroken iPhone I was able to add passcodes to individual apps, and I miss this capability. Is there any way to do this, or any decent apps that add this function?

I haven’t used one in years but they're all called "applock" in the play store or if you're searching for recommendations with Google.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Just a note for anyone else behind the times like me on podcast apps: Beyondpod is a piece of trash and if you haven't yet, uninstall it and use something else. The last update, first major one in a while, basically broke the app. It sometimes takes 20-30 seconds to load and seems to get dumped out of active memory pretty frequently (sometimes it seems while its running). It also apparently spams private feeds with requests for access after getting refused and syncing across devices is still pretty trash (which was never an important feature for me).

I ignored the arguments over new UI issues and bought Pocketcasts. So far I'm pretty happy although getting all my feeds set up and episode play marks took a while.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Beyondpod definitely has a lot of problems, but it's the only podcast app I've found that categorize podcasts and set different update times for different categories, which is unfortunately a niche need of mine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything: is there a good audio recording app that won't spy on my poo poo (i.e. no camera/location/phone access)? I don't mind dropping a few dollars. I just want something where I can set my phone (Pixel 3 XL, if it matters) in the middle of a table and have it record the room for meetings and things.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Beyondpod definitely has a lot of problems, but it's the only podcast app I've found that categorize podcasts and set different update times for different categories, which is unfortunately a niche need of mine.

Yeah, this is why I still have it. I have a couple of feeds labelled "news" that always jump to the top of my playlist when there's a new episode, a bunch where it plays the latest unplayed episode and then a couple where it plays the oldest unplayed one. If there was another app that could give me the same auto-generated playlist I'd switch in an instant

For some reason it seems like hitting play on the widget is what causes it to lock up for 20-30 seconds, if I open up the app from the drawer or use the playlist button on the widget it launches normally.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah I've had the nav bar on the bottom of my screen in Chrome for a week or two.

It auto hides when I scroll down and pops back in if I scroll up. It's actually kind of handy to have at the bottom of the screen on bigger phones.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hello boys and girls. I picked up an Android phone after years of using an iphone and though it's been a pretty decent swap there's one single thing that I'm having an issue with and that's the way Android deals with images.

On the iphone when you save an image, take a photo or whatever it just flings it into a single folder for you to do whatever you want with. Android is trying to be too smart about things so there's dozens of folders depending on where the image came from; twitter, the camera, another folder called camera but isn't the phone camera, download folder, screenshots, messenger, another download folder, instagram, whatsapp, another twitter folder, another screenshots folder, more whatsapp... I think you get the idea. The google photos app also scrapes the phone's folders and bring in the album art from my music and each album has an individual folder, it's just a little annoying.

Basically all I want is for all images to go in one folder, if I want them in another folder I'm happy to put them in myself. Also it'd be cool to ignore album art. How do I achieve this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Party Boat posted:

For some reason it seems like hitting play on the widget is what causes it to lock up for 20-30 seconds, if I open up the app from the drawer or use the playlist button on the widget it launches normally.

This, and the way that they fixed the app getting kicked out of memory by making the notification super-permanent (it comes right back if you swipe it away, so the ONLY way to get rid of it is to swipe it away and then quickly clear the playlist, because if you clear the playlist without swiping the notification away, it'll populate a new playlist and auto play it) are the two things really pissing me off about the app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah I've had the nav bar on the bottom of my screen in Chrome for a week or two.

It auto hides when I scroll down and pops back in if I scroll up. It's actually kind of handy to have at the bottom of the screen on bigger phones.

Yeah, I've had it on my 6T for awhile, but not in my P3 yet. I do prefer it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Back to the new PocketCasts update for a bit: where the hell did they hide the default playback settings (e.g. speed)? When I change the playback speed for a given podcast, it first is displayed as "default", then when I change one of the three settings it lists them all under that part of the UI.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Party Boat posted:

Thanks. She must have been using a poorly designed webpage was somehow making it never go away, because it was definitely not going away when she scrolled down.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hello boys and girls. I picked up an Android phone after years of using an iphone and though it's been a pretty decent swap there's one single thing that I'm having an issue with and that's the way Android deals with images.

On the iphone when you save an image, take a photo or whatever it just flings it into a single folder for you to do whatever you want with. Android is trying to be too smart about things so there's dozens of folders depending on where the image came from; twitter, the camera, another folder called camera but isn't the phone camera, download folder, screenshots, messenger, another download folder, instagram, whatsapp, another twitter folder, another screenshots folder, more whatsapp... I think you get the idea. The google photos app also scrapes the phone's folders and bring in the album art from my music and each album has an individual folder, it's just a little annoying.

Basically all I want is for all images to go in one folder, if I want them in another folder I'm happy to put them in myself. Also it'd be cool to ignore album art. How do I achieve this?

as far as i know its up to the app developer to set where on the phone storage saved images go. think of the main page of Google Photos as an "All Inboxes" kind of deal. If you slide out the options panel and go to Settings there's a Backup and Sync section. Go there then Back Up Devices Folders. In there you can uncheck folders you dont want displayed or backed up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

RIP to allo. you were a real one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i liked allo but lol that poo poo was doomed from the get go

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, legit non-UI related issue with the Pocketcasts revamp that has popped up twice is I've had two different devices just up and decide to start playing my queue randomly with no prompting. I had it happen once on my main phone and I thought I had done something weird to prompt it, but just now my other phone was sitting in the next room over, hasn't been touched for hours, and suddenly start hearing my podcast queue start playing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Android permissions require only one app can write to a directory, so you have to have photos in different locations on your storage like that. Google photos will display them all as one big bucket though.

And drop a .nomedia (I think) file in the root directory of your music to hide the album art from the photos app. Or slide the slider in Google photos.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

as far as i know its up to the app developer to set where on the phone storage saved images go. think of the main page of Google Photos as an "All Inboxes" kind of deal. If you slide out the options panel and go to Settings there's a Backup and Sync section. Go there then Back Up Devices Folders. In there you can uncheck folders you dont want displayed or backed up.

Man that's crazy. Somehow yesterday my phone managed to lose my music which was weird because everything was still on the SD card. So I formatted the thing and then backed my poo poo up. This seems to have solved most of my issue as now facebook and twitter both seem to pull images from a main 'gallery' which is located somewhere on my phone I guess? This is despite the actual gallery app on my phone showing completely different content... This makes little sense.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

incoherent posted:

RIP to allo. you were a real one.

What would Google have us message on now then? Hangouts still exists, but that aside?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Heners_UK posted:

What would Google have us message on now then? Hangouts still exists, but that aside?

They've been throwing their weight into the default Android Messenger and RCS.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Heners_UK posted:

Hangouts exists for now. Click for info.

There's a reason one of the Android threads was titled "Google! Why gently caress everything up?" until some time ago.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The question is, does Hangouts for Business bring Google joy? If not, its gone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

hooah posted:

Back to the new PocketCasts update for a bit: where the hell did they hide the default playback settings (e.g. speed)? When I change the playback speed for a given podcast, it first is displayed as "default", then when I change one of the three settings it lists them all under that part of the UI.

LOL you can't set a default apparently. It *should* be under the Profile tab, then the gear, then Playback if the option were to exist.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Anybody use bxActions to remap the bixby button? I mainly want to have the button pause/resume any media playback while the phone is locked, but bxActions will only perform this action if the phone is unlocked. Is there something I'm missing, or is this feature locked behind the $2.99 pro version?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I took the plunge on Pocketcasts. Beyondpod just reminded me of another annoying issue: if I resume an episode of mbmbam (and only mbmbam) past the halfway point it just starts the episode over. Pocketcasts doesn't seem to have the same issue and I don't have a problem with the UI now that I've played around with it a bit.

Is there anywhere I can set the auto download time and frequency? Or will it just grab the episodes as soon as the RSS feed updates?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Party Boat posted:

Is there anywhere I can set the auto download time and frequency? Or will it just grab the episodes as soon as the RSS feed updates?

afaik the only options that apply in PC is to set it to only download automatically when wifi is on and/or plugged in.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Party Boat posted:

I took the plunge on Pocketcasts. Beyondpod just reminded me of another annoying issue: if I resume an episode of mbmbam (and only mbmbam) past the halfway point it just starts the episode over. Pocketcasts doesn't seem to have the same issue and I don't have a problem with the UI now that I've played around with it a bit.

Per our recent discussion, obviously I don't use PC, but if you have Tasker, you could try this: https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/third-party-integration/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh cool, cheers. I'll see how the default settings do for a couple of days and use tasker if it seems like I'm not getting regular updates. Sorry for abandoning you, former beyondpod buddy!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, I rarely open the app and not see the newest podcast downloaded. I sometimes see something pop up on twitter that isn't in my queue, but it's also not in my RSS feed and it shows up 10-15 minutes later.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah I've just seen it download an episode right as it was announced on twitter which is great, but I do have another question.

Is it possible to have episodes that I've asked to go to the top of up next bump whatever's currently playing? I usually want something to go to the top because it's about breaking news, so it's not much use if I've just started a two hour episode of something else that might take me another day or so to listen through.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Uthor posted:

FWIW, I rarely open the app and not see the newest podcast downloaded. I sometimes see something pop up on twitter that isn't in my queue, but it's also not in my RSS feed and it shows up 10-15 minutes later.

I've never opened the app to it not being downloaded ever.

Party Boat posted:

Yeah I've just seen it download an episode right as it was announced on twitter which is great, but I do have another question.

Is it possible to have episodes that I've asked to go to the top of up next bump whatever's currently playing? I usually want something to go to the top because it's about breaking news, so it's not much use if I've just started a two hour episode of something else that might take me another day or so to listen through.

I don't think so but you can turn on notifications for podcasts that are important in that way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I guess Messages backs things up just fine as long as you open the SMS before you do a restart? I don't have any SMS backup apps and I don't know if Android Messages backs up to Drive or anything...but I had the Q beta on my phone for a few hours, stopped caring about it, then changed back to P because Android backup is decent enough now that I don't need to worry about doing a factory reset...but I forgot text messaging.

All of the texts I had were there, save for like 2 that I hadn't opened yet. I don't know if it's because I had them open on my PC with Chrome or what but...they were backed up.

So this is a nice surprise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My experience is that SMS backs up fine, but MMS does not, at least not pictures.

Why is message continuity so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My experience is that SMS backs up fine, but MMS does not, at least not pictures.

Why is message continuity so hard?

I use this one running on a nightly schedule (or on-demand) and it backs up everything fine, including MMS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_CA