Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished the game. What a blast! Now for a second playthrough and quick question: How do I make use of the Live Action cutscenes? I have it installed but I don't see the option anywhere.

EDIT: Like, I assume it's in Customize Cutscenes but I don't see it.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The cutscene where Nico wants Nero to get that thing off the ground for her and he's like "This spaghetti tin? This soda can? Oh right the glowing demon horn."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The conversation Nico has with Nero at the end in the van is also a good laugh.

Unrelated:

There's so many shoutouts in this game to the other DMC games, wow.

EG, Nero's line to the Elder Geryon Line (What? No chit-chat or monologue? Just straight to the point, huh?) is what he says to Dante before they fight in DMC4.

Pwnstar posted:

The cutscene where Nico wants Nero to get that thing off the ground for her and he's like "This spaghetti tin? This soda can? Oh right the glowing demon horn."

That actually had me laugh out loud in a way I rarely do while playing games.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The best thing with Nico is she puts Nero in the position of the straight man to her comedy. When usually the guy's goofy as. But with her, he has to be the serious, responsible one.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

"Did you just sniff that? Do you know where that thing's been?"

"Up your butt?" :smug:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nico 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

the boss' movement just seemed so jittery and erratic to me and it was a massive pain in the rear end to keep up with her just to get hits in. I think it's partially also luck as to whether or not I connected with certain moves because there's not a great way to tell when they'll warp around.

this echoes all my sentiments exactly. The V "boss rush" was just kind of lame and I got hosed by picking Griffon first lol. Pick Shadow first.

Malphas kind of sucks yeah and the next Dante boss is kind of annoying the first time you fight him; I had no idea the big asplosion would happen (which is par for the course right now in fighting each boss for the first time; I got my rear end kicked by Malphas and the two following Dante bosses.) The big giant explosions some bosses resort to are annoying sometimes but overall I still feel Malphas sucks the most due to lovely patterns and makes you chase it way too much.

Dude I first picked Nightmare because I didn't realize what was happening, I accidentally skipped the prior cutscene.

Don't do that.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://twitter.com/AndreYin/status/1105285789624209408

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Holy poo poo what a game. What a GAME.

Just finished it on devil hunter so, uh, yeah, babby difficulty and not having to get really deep into the mechanics, but it is SO SATISFYING.
I think I am loving this more than the Bayonettas, because the good fights are not gated behind 5 minutes of outrun or space harrier.

Platinum's gotta do something really really special for bayo 3, but who am I kidding, of course I am getting that poo poo as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Luisfe posted:

Holy poo poo what a game. What a GAME.

Just finished it on devil hunter so, uh, yeah, babby difficulty and not having to get really deep into the mechanics, but it is SO SATISFYING.
I think I am loving this more than the Bayonettas, because the good fights are not gated behind 5 minutes of outrun or space harrier.

Platinum's gotta do something really really special for bayo 3, but who am I kidding, of course I am getting that poo poo as well.

God gently caress you man the bosses after chapter 15 were destroying me and I still don't know how to dodge them or keep my style up on them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

God gently caress you man the bosses after chapter 15 were destroying me and I still don't know how to dodge them or keep my style up on them.

I’m almost there and I’m scared now :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just burn through your gorbs, you can get better later. Some of the bosses are very mean people if you are playing at 2am and just want to beat the friggin game already sheesh.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Grind you some dang red orbs on ch13 with Faust, and just continue with reds. There is no shame!

Getting good comes after!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The only advice I have if you don't want to gorb (which I recommend it there's no shame!!) is to make sure your checkpoint state is healthy because after an hour of attempts on the Chapter 16 boss I realised that starting at 6 health with no DT gauges of any kind was not workable

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You also don't get penalized for using gold orbs/revives in this game until you use 3 of them on one mission. Using one or two on a mission removes the No Continues bonus points, but unlike previous games you can still get the highest rank on a mission having used items. In the older games you couldn't get SS-Rank on a mission without S in every category (which required using no items), but in DMC 5 you only need to get above the A-rank requirement on most of the combat sections and the No Continues bonus is just icing on the cake.

edit: The only exceptions to this I think are the missions that are only a boss fight and nothing else, since there's only 1 encounter to get points from and you can just restart it from the beginning if you die.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 13, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If someone would have said in the aftermath of DmC that one day DMC 5 will come out and be everything you ever hoped it would be

I would have slapped them for the cruelest lie
And then in 2019 I would start a pilgrimage to find them and apologise for doubting them. Itsuno = Eternal boi

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

darealkooky posted:

my personal master plan to Fix V's Gameplay would just be to give his moves to vergil. imagine building concentration meter while your pets do their thing and then busting rear end yourself

I mean... The Square moves are basically the same. Vergil's swords act independently of you in the games where you can control him, exactly the same as Griffon's projectiles. You even have different moves with the swords if you hold or tap the button. His R1+O is exactly Vergil's from DMC3. In DMC4 he had a concentration mechanic where if you slowly fought enemies, stayed in danger range, and walked around instead of running you gain more DT (Just like reading the book).

Based on his mechanics (and his name just being V lol) I figured out he was meant to be linked to Vergil somehow, which must be intentional and shows you how much the team understands their game.

Now the annoying thing is Vergil had multiple weapons to use on Triangle, and V just has Phantom.

Being able to do just one more thing than he currently does would go a long way to fixing a lot of my complaints with the character. Again always happy to be proved wrong, I'm sure someone will record an insane video showing how you're supposed to play him

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of my favorite things about this game is that it takes improvements made by DmC without all the added baggage that could've come with it. They learned everything that was good about that game and brought it over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pwnstar posted:

I love that scene for the sheer absurdity of it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I mean if they wanna keep V's gameplay just give it to Patty. She IS the descendant of a super powerful Wizard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Update: just finished mission 12 and I’m feeling more confident and powerful than ever :black101:

Someone should make a DMC5 forums emoticon

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So it turns out V has a unique kill animation for Vergil. If you CheatEngine V into the final fight, he will pull Vergil into an embrace, and put the cane at his back, before stabbing through both of them going "You... and I... are one."

Wonder if that's for Bloody Palace.

Flytrap posted:

I mean if they wanna keep V's gameplay just give it to Patty. She IS the descendant of a super powerful Wizard.

Doesn't that just make Castlevania Maria?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'd honestly be unreasonably excited for Sega Saturn SotN Maria in a Devil May Cry game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Onmi posted:

Doesn't that just make Castlevania Maria?

Yes. Yes it does.

I consider this to be the exact opposite of a problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish the game was clearer about when Riots (the stinky lizards) can be launched. There seems to be no tell whatsoever, unlike the axe dudes who can be knocked into the air when they aren't all veiny. Sometimes you can launch them and sometimes they just shrug it off, doesn't seem to have anything to do with being stunned on the ground or glowing red when they're about to attack.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

The conversation Nico has with Nero at the end in the van is also a good laugh.

Unrelated:

There's so many shoutouts in this game to the other DMC games, wow.

EG, Nero's line to the Elder Geryon Line (What? No chit-chat or monologue? Just straight to the point, huh?) is what he says to Dante before they fight in DMC4.

That actually had me laugh out loud in a way I rarely do while playing games.

The best shout out to DMC4 is Nico stuttering when giving Dante Faust and talking about her dad.
Cause he did it too in front of Dante.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Patty's cameo in DMC5 had me curious so I watched the first ep of the Devil May Cry anime.

Honestly I'm pretty into it, it's a wildly different era of the series that has more to do with its roots in, say, Blade and the Dante in the anime is like a mix of Hellsing's Alucard and especially Vash the Stampede and the whole thing does vibe a lot like the Trigun anime in the way it's shot. And Patty definitely does remind me of Maria Renard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Merilan posted:

Patty's cameo in DMC5 had me curious so I watched the first ep of the Devil May Cry anime.

Honestly I'm pretty into it, it's a wildly different era of the series that has more to do with its roots in, say, Blade and the Dante in the anime is like a mix of Hellsing's Alucard and especially Vash the Stampede and the whole thing does vibe a lot like the Trigun anime in the way it's shot. And Patty definitely does remind me of Maria Renard.

Is the anime good?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CJacobs posted:

One of my favorite things about this game is that it takes improvements made by DmC without all the added baggage that could've come with it. They learned everything that was good about that game and brought it over.

Like besides an announcer for stylish ranks, what exactly did they carry over? It very much just feels like much refined version of DMC4's gameplay.

JBP posted:

Is the anime good?

It's not aggressively terrible, but it is pretty boring.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JBP posted:

Is the anime good?

The anime isn’t good. Barely any fun stuff Dante acts like he’s DMC2 Dante and he doesn’t fight anybody stylishly. There’s a reason he blows off that party.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

The anime isn’t good. Barely any fun stuff Dante acts like he’s DMC2 Dante and he doesn’t fight anybody stylishly. There’s a reason he blows off that party.

The actual canon reason he blows it off is pretty sad. Dante feels like a freak and he doesn't want Patty to have her party ruined by this weird demon guy. He fully intended to go celebrate it with her alone. But he doesn't feel like he fits in with public party stuff.

This game does a tonne to bring human elements to Dante after 4. I really do dig it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Like besides an announcer for stylish ranks, what exactly did they carry over? It very much just feels like much refined version of DMC4's gameplay.

The camera you can rotate for yourself and the new lockon system are probably the most important additions. But also, one thing that sticks out to me is that a lot of smoothing out has been done to the air movement. You have a lot of air control in this one compared to DMC4, I'd equate it to Mario Bros 3 vs the original Mario Bros. You still can't really change direction but you're not locked totally to whatever direction you were facing when you left the ground.

edit: And other aesthetic stuff like the individually disappearing HUD elements when they're not relevant, dynamic music that ramps up during fights and has 'one-off' stingers, the slow-mo zoom when you take out the last guy, your equipment physically appearing on your character so you don't have to look at the corners of the screen (Nero's arms being on his belt and him saying the next one to be equipped aloud for example).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 13, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

JBP posted:

Is the anime good?

I mean, I enjoyed the first episode so far but I'll have to dig deeper into it. It's a 2001 anime and it definitely vibes like a show from that era. The cinematography is a lot more sudden and quick rather than the hyper-action you see in the games nowadays; and as some people have mentioned the Dante has more to do with the DMC1/2.

It's a different cup of tea and if you're looking for the same vibe as the games you'd probably be disappointed but I think it's a neat look at something that's a bit different.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The DMC anime is done by exactly the same people as did the Gungrave anime, and is done in much the same way.

Whether that idea makes you excited or disgusted, that's how how you'll probably feel about it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The DMC anime is done by exactly the same people as did the Gungrave anime, and is done in much the same way.

Whether that idea makes you excited or disgusted, that's how how you'll probably feel about it.

Oh poo poo, really? The Gungrave anime is one of my favorite like, anythings ever. I'll have to check it out now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I did the last fight again. I still needed to revive and I still got a fail, but I have some mastery of royal guard and it translated into the greatest counter punch into devil sm nunchucks combo I've ever done and peeled off 60% of his hp :c00l:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Which of the previous games are worth playing if I really dig this one? (obviously not 2)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

All of the rest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

All of the rest.

though in order: 3 > 4 > 1 >>>>>> DmC

4 is more mechanically thorough than 3 but it's also undercooked, 1 is really more of a period piece since it was a potential resident evil title repackaged as a complex (for its time) action game, DmC is an ugly clumsy curiosity that should only be bought on a deep discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Okay I did forget about DmC.

All of the rest except DmC please do as I did and forget it exists in the light of much better games like all of them.