Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There was also an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes cartoon that I remember being badass, I probably haven't seen it since I was 12 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pomp posted:

It could be worse, I was console war posting on a legacy of kain fansite as a teen

My signature was farting love livestock

I used to be a regular on the stile project forums and came in at the tail end of thefucksociety.com forums, right before they got shut down by the feds.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just listened to the most recent faculty of horror podcast (everyone should check this out) where they discuss Ravenous. The hosts felt that the movie didn’t really have homoerotic/gay subtext, in part due to the implication that the bad guy would be seducing the good guy into being gay, which seems too problematic for the film to have intended. I think those undertones definitely exist in the film, and that they are maybe about how the bad guy adopts patriarchal/toxicly masculine attitudes toward all consumption and pleasure, eventually being thwarted by the more feminine/androgynous good guy. What do other folks think?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Look if Piranha 3D can't be about the excesses of our society then Ravenous cant be about Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle kissing

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I mean

The movie ends with the two male leads locked in an embrace by a bear trap.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's kind of like the Fight Club problem, where it's difficult to decide precisely if a love affair between two men who are mirror images of each other is homoerotic, narcissistic, or both, and exactly what that means.

It's been a while since I saw Ravenous but I think it's a bit less about the homoeroticism than Fight Club (a low bar, I know. :v: )

Think of it this way: all of the characters are men who were completely broken, their masculine self-image damaged or destroyed, and each rebuilt themselves in different ways. Boyd went through horrible trauma and was punished for his cowardice, and he feels genuine remorse, but also self-loathing motivated by his failure; Hart experienced total helplessness and had to be nurtured and cared for by someone else to survive, and responds by temporarily embracing Calquhoun's philosophy of conquest and consumption -- overcompensating, essentially; Calquhoun's body failed him, and he responded by murdering others to (at least in his own mind) save himself.

It's basically Wendigo psychosis as a mash-up of toxic masculinity and manifest destiny. The seduction isn't to be gay, it's to be predatory and domineering, which obviously transcends orientation and the only reason it's presented as same-sex is because it's also about what it means to be a man. It would be difficult, at best, for a woman to be a Wendigo as this movie presents them.

e: There's also no reason the characters couldn't be gay, mind. Gay men are brought up under patriarchy too. But I just don't see any good argument that the evil presented in the film is necessarily homosexual (and if anything, queerness might be a partial defense against it.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 13, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

or more succinctly: you can't make a movie about a bunch of men eating each other not come off as sexual, but the point is less "eww that's gay" and more "patriarchy and colonialism gently caress us all, even when we think we're doing the loving"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don’t think that the characters of Ravenous are gay, but I think there’s a queer subtext to the film. The entire film is about seduction and indulgement. The path of the wendigo is a “deviant” one, but gives Pierce power and identity he was lacking in a world of toxic masculinity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fart City posted:

I don’t think that the characters of Ravenous are gay, but I think there’s a queer subtext to the film. The entire film is about seduction and indulgement. The path of the wendigo is a “deviant” one, but gives Pierce power and identity he was lacking in a world of toxic masculinity.

yeah see i don't get this reading at all, and while you might be right and i might be forgetting important details that support that reading, that would just mean that it really does say something pretty lovely about queerness

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah see i don't get this reading at all, and while you might be right and i might be forgetting important details that support that reading, that would just mean that it really does say something pretty lovely about queerness

I’m phone posting so I didn’t really deep dive like you did, but I didn’t mean for it to come off as lovely as I framed it. I think it’s noteworthy that the film absolutely presents Guy Pearce as a wendigo, but doesn’t necessarily cast judgement on him for it. Like that cannibalism literally saves his life in the beginning, saving him the horrible fate of being crushed underneath a pile of bodies. And in the finale, once he fully embraces the wendigo, it doesn’t frame him as a monster like it does Carlyle. Being a wendigo doesn’t automatically make you a villain. Rather it seems to suggest that morality is independent of it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

It’s like... a weirdly nonjudgemental film when it comes to cannibalism itself. It’s more about what people do with the power they get from it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did you ever watch the tv show Hannibal? That show handled the "cannibalism as stand-in for queerness" pretty well, and it's thematically similar to Ravenous, the two leads in Ravenous feel like prototypes for the Will Graham/Hannibal Lecter dynamic in that show.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

smh u ask for one necrophilia reccomendation ONE TIME and everyone freaks out but we're all FINE WITH CASTRATING

Gonna be notice I didn’t even feel a thing when they did it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Did you ever watch the tv show Hannibal? That show handled the "cannibalism as stand-in for queerness" pretty well, and it's thematically similar to Ravenous, the two leads in Ravenous feel like prototypes for the Will Graham/Hannibal Lecter dynamic in that show.

yeah, I love Hannibal, but I also have a serious problem with how much it romanticizes Hannibal (and ends without ever undercutting the mythology he's built up for himself)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fart City posted:

I’m phone posting so I didn’t really deep dive like you did, but I didn’t mean for it to come off as lovely as I framed it. I think it’s noteworthy that the film absolutely presents Guy Pearce as a wendigo, but doesn’t necessarily cast judgement on him for it. Like that cannibalism literally saves his life in the beginning, saving him the horrible fate of being crushed underneath a pile of bodies. And in the finale, once he fully embraces the wendigo, it doesn’t frame him as a monster like it does Carlyle. Being a wendigo doesn’t automatically make you a villain. Rather it seems to suggest that morality is independent of it.

I mean, its sort of like the Nightmare on Elm Street 2 thing where there is a definite aura of homoeroticism and queer experience that doesn't so much as serve as a metaphor but more of a winking saturation

Like, making the villain evoke queerness isn't meant to villify queerness as much as it is meant to create a recognition in the audience and a greater context to the emotional experience

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Give every horror franchise a saturday morning cartoon tie in imo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

A superhero team up show starring the body horror figures of Cronenberg

The Fly, Penis Gun, Scanner, Brood Lady, Rabid Chick and their leader Dead Zone team up to fight The Shivers

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Big Bob Pataki posted:

No, make every horror franchise have at least one gay-as-hell entry like NOES2.

Give me gay puppet master, gay phantasm. Gay poltergeist. Shoot it in my veins.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Give me gay puppet master.

It's called Curse of the Puppet Master

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally saw Body Melt for the first time, it fuckin' rules, furthermore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T098jykyzQ8

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Finally saw Body Melt for the first time, it fuckin' rules, furthermore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T098jykyzQ8

I watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, and I don't know what I was expecting but... The moment I found out it was Ozploitation, I was ALL IN. I just wish they'd been able to pull together the original idea a little better and make it a full anthology. Instead, it's got a bunch of loose thread that just sort of trail off. Still a hell of a ride though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

All horror movies ever made are gay. I hope this guide helps.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

All horror movies ever made are gay. I hope this guide helps.

I have no evidence to refute this

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's a fair cop

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hollismason posted:

All Horror movies ever made are gay. I hope this guide Thread helps.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Went in blind and The Frighteners was alot more comedic than I would have guessed going in. I liked it, despite being a little cheesy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

.Frighteners probably should have been a show rather than a movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Easy Diff posted:

No one will ever believe me, but the cold open of Postal is legit good and funny.

I agree!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

.Frighteners probably should have been a show rather than a movie

It was supposed to be a Tales from the Crypt episode, but then they liked it enough to keep it a film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really should do Peter Jackson mini-marathon because I haven't seen any of his pre-LOTR films in like 10+ years, and I've never seen Bad Taste.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I really should do Peter Jackson mini-marathon because I haven't seen any of his pre-LOTR films in like 10+ years, and I've never seen Bad Taste.

Bad Taste is fun, but it's nowhere near as good as Meet The Feebles and Dead Alive.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I remember one time I convinced a bunch of people at a party that King Kong in Peter Jackson's remake wasn't CG but was actually Jack Black in a super advanced monkey suit because Peter Jackson wanted to pay tribute to his pre-LotR career and show the advances in practical effects

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Bad Taste is fun, but it's nowhere near as good as Meet The Feebles and Dead Alive.

Yea I wouldn't expect it to be but it's on Prime so hey I'll check it out. But I of course loved Dead Alive and The Frighteners back in the day but haven't watched them in forever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember one time I convinced a bunch of people at a party that King Kong in Peter Jackson's remake wasn't CG but was actually Jack Black in a super advanced monkey suit because Peter Jackson wanted to pay tribute to his pre-LotR career and show the advances in practical effects

Dang, that's good. I would have stuck with Serkis, but that's good.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I wouldn't expect it to be but it's on Prime so hey I'll check it out. But I of course loved Dead Alive and The Frighteners back in the day but haven't watched them in forever.

For a first film, made over four years? It's great. It's no Evil Dead, Blood Simple or Eraserhead, but it's still impressive and fun. And gross.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ReapersTouch posted:

Went in blind and The Frighteners was alot more comedic than I would have guessed going in. I liked it, despite being a little cheesy.
Am I the only one who doesn’t like that movie? I thought it was just... Too Much. It felt like the video part of one of those motion rides. All the bad tendencies that were on display in King Kong are here as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Dang, that's good. I would have stuck with Serkis, but that's good.

It started because someone was like "Why was Jack Black in King Kong" and then I drunkenly went "He was King Kong" and basically built the lie in reverse

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Am I the only one who doesn’t like that movie? I thought it was just... Too Much. It felt like the video part of one of those motion rides. All the bad tendencies that were on display in King Kong are here as well.

It's a weird mix but I think a pretty unique mix, so I loved it for that reason. You don't see a whole lot of comedies that deal with that kind of dark subject matter(maybe more these days than back then), and then if you liked Michael J. Fox, as everyone did in the 80s and 90s, it becomes even better.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
hey I'm selling off a chunk of my movie collection in SA-Mart and thought folks in this thread might be interested, as a ton of it is horror including some Scream Factory and a few Severin releases

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884430

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's a weird mix but I think a pretty unique mix, so I loved it for that reason. You don't see a whole lot of comedies that deal with that kind of dark subject matter(maybe more these days than back then), and then if you liked Michael J. Fox, as everyone did in the 80s and 90s, it becomes even better.

The whole cast is pretty fun. Combs, John Astin, baby-busey,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I think Bad Taste is charming for exactly what it is: a bunch of friends running around in their backyards with a camera. Like, even most of the costumes are "whatever we had in our closets." Don't have combat boots for your "tactical outfit"? Fine! Just pull your socks up over your sweatpants and maybe no one will notice.

There was no script during filming and the whole thing was shot without sound, effects and dialogue being dubbed.

Also, note that there are no actual blanks fired from any of the guns. All the weapons are non-functioning props that PJ built, and the actors just shook them. All muzzle fire was added in post.