Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Murdoch posted:

The Broly movie was neat but I kinda wish Broly himself wasn't basically just a prop that everybody else reacts to/beats up on for 40 minutes.

It would have been neat if Broly were voiced by literally anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Corporations like the mic because it is a potential client and because the us military enforces a global order that benefits them. Disney would probably glorify the military for free.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Corporations like the mic because it is a potential client and because the us military enforces a global order that benefits them. Disney would probably glorify the military for free.

Disney doesn't do anything for free.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It would have been neat if Broly were voiced by literally anyone else.

He will be from now on. (One hopes they'll sick to their guns about that, although ComicsGate "legal counsel" Nick Rekieta has raised a 100K+ for Vic's legal woes.

The GFM page is pretty hilarious:

quote:

I AM NOT REPRESENTING VIC IN A LEGAL CAPACITY, but I am aware of the team who is and will coordinate this fund to pay for Vic's legal fees. Litigation costs are highly dependent on the actions of your opponents, so I'm hoping to raise enough to account for that. We will announce the disposition of any extra funds candidly and provide updates on the usage of funds to the extent that such information can be made public.

"Hey kids! I don't have to tell you where your money is going, nor am I actually involved in the case! Thanks for paying off the mortgage!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

Why not make her a test pilot for Stark or something? Literally all you need is 'pilot with access to high tech stuff'.

I get where you're coming from, but it'd be a moot point regardless because they'd still end up using borrowed Air Force jets for shooting the movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I get where you're coming from, but it'd be a moot point regardless because they'd still end up using borrowed Air Force jets for shooting the movie.

you're not wrong there yea but at least the lampshade would make 'every super hero has an origin story, presented by the air force' a little less easy to do.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah I think it's disingenuous to treat the movie in a vacuum and claim the air force stuff is a tiny part of it when they're clearly targeting the larger marketing and potentially even merchandising apparatus attached to the film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Broly should just be voiced by the TFS crew from now on. All of them at once, fusion style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I honestly wouldn't fret too much over Vic getting to finish off the movie after he got rightfully dragged out into the spotlight. From Funimation's position it just would've been far easier to finish the drat thing and then give Vic the boot. Otherwise it'd be expensive to recast, re-record, and re-edit the drat thing so late in production to the point it might well be cheaper to just drop the movie altogether.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Air force bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

Air force bad

and come on we can all agree, of all our military the Air Force is the fuckin dorkiest and lamest flavor of violent imperialism you can get

Aren't they the guys with the giant ceremonial swords, not like sabers and poo poo they wear but I mean literal giant swords that need like two dudes to carry?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

and come on we can all agree, of all our military the Air Force is the fuckin dorkiest and lamest flavor of violent imperialism you can get

Aren't they the guys with the giant ceremonial swords, not like sabers and poo poo they wear but I mean literal giant swords that need like two dudes to carry?

I wish she'd brought some these with her when was hunting for that old lady in the trailer.

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/919173846015594496

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Captain Marvel would have been waaaaaaay better if they just went all in on her being a Super Saiyan.

Like, I want some kamehameha's from her in Endgame or something.

Even a Galick Gun or Hellzone Grenade.

Solar Flare? Anything?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ApeHawk posted:

Captain Marvel would have been waaaaaaay better if they just went all in on her being a Super Saiyan.

Like, I want some kamehameha's from her in Endgame or something.

Even a Galick Gun or Hellzone Grenade.

Solar Flare? Anything?

I mean these movies are being written and directed and storyboarded and conceptualized by people who grew up with dragon ball and I cannot believe that they didn't have the lady who shoots laser blasts from her hands doing Kamehameha poses
Can you loving imagine how wild you'd go if she Gohan/Cell beam struggles Thanos or something in endgame

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm really confused that people are leaning so hard on "MS MARVEL IS AIR FORCE PROPAGANDA!!!!! IT'S AIR FORCE PROPAGANDA!!!!!" when it's been known and common for over a decade that movies that use military hardware have to get military approval for everything in the movie ever.

Like, yeah, it's propaganda-y. We know. We have known that this is a thing for forever. Why is it suddenly a tremendous issue for this one particular movie, where people weren't this weird about it for previous MCU blockbusters?

NB I am not approving of military propaganda in movies and would prefer people just make tanks and planes out of cardboard and duck tape rather than let the military set the tone, I'm just really weirded out that suddenly this is the great military propaganda film, and not any of the ones that went before.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I'm really confused that people are leaning so hard on "MS MARVEL IS AIR FORCE PROPAGANDA!!!!! IT'S AIR FORCE PROPAGANDA!!!!!" when it's been known and common for over a decade that movies that use military hardware have to get military approval for everything in the movie ever.

Like, yeah, it's propaganda-y. We know. We have known that this is a thing for forever. Why is it suddenly a tremendous issue for this one particular movie, where people weren't this weird about it for previous MCU blockbusters?

NB I am not approving of military propaganda in movies and would prefer people just make tanks and planes out of cardboard and duck tape rather than let the military set the tone, I'm just really weirded out that suddenly this is the great military propaganda film, and not any of the ones that went before.

It's one of those things where if you haven't seen it you'll assume it came out of nowhere but there's been discourse around the military's relationship with hollywood movies, especially superhero movies, for a long time now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's certainly the longest!

My friend, have you heard the good news of Detective Conan?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've been pretty consistent in trying to avoid that stuff for a long time, but I'm glad for whatever reason other people are taking notice too I guess?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Puppy Time posted:

it's been going on and there was a whole debate about infinity war and thanos

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The entirety of Captain Marvel's airforce career is summed up in a confusing flashback that doesn't make sense at the time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The air Force thing is to counter that this is a perfect movie that will cure the nation of all unwokeness but clearly it is beyond criticism.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Maybe i'm missing something but wasn't the whole thing about her struggling through the airforce and then not being able to even fly because of sexism, so she went to a private company as a test pilot. Not sure how that's oorah for the airforce.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Schwarzwald posted:

My friend, have you heard the good news of Detective Conan?

The superior show, honestly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Maybe i'm missing something but wasn't the whole thing about her struggling through the airforce and then not being able to even fly because of sexism, so she went to a private company as a test pilot. Not sure how that's oorah for the airforce.

She is an awesome pilot, YOU can be an awesome pilot too, Citizen! :patriot:

Do you want to know more?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Puppy Time posted:

I feel it has been going on for a long time, hell back to Iron Man where people would post gifs of him surgically striking terrorists as endorsing the war on terror's drone use.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

It seems to be different parties of people arguing it. So they way I'm seeing it; You've got the one that says the movie is air force propaganda and they're looking at the trailer and the air force, CIA, MI6, Spetznaz, Chinese Triad, Springfield Police Department, Canadian Mounties and whoever else are tweeting saying 'Boy Captain Marvel sure was great, maybe consider a career in the military!' And like food brands communicating like they're people they go GROSS.

And you've got the group talking this all literally and saying 'What're you talking about the entire Air Force part of it is like 8 minutes and it only works as propoganda if the part in Robocop where Murphy gets gunned down works as advertising to join the Detroit Police Department.' Because they're just going by what was in the movie directly and with no part of it being like 'Join the military today!' they don't see it as propoganda since the military doesn't swoop in and save the day at any point like they do in Transformers. So it doesn't even seem like standard superhero story where the military stomps in and says they'll handle it and proceed to be ineffectual.

I mean I'm not sure of any of this but I feel like people are arguing things coming from different perspectives on it.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Wait that was a different company? I thought the scientist was still in the air force.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Puppy Time posted:

It's not that it's a new thing, it's that it's pretty much a new level of gross to go from 'wow bombers are basically super heroes riiiiight guys?' to 'THIS. MOVIE. IS. IMPORTANT. BECAUSE. IT. SHOWS. LADIES. BOMBING!'

Like, the loving Simpsons even made fun of poo poo like this ages ago but it keeps happening and it's fair to say it's especially weird to rebrand their military humping as woke.

Also people did make fun of other movies for doing this kinda stuff too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I pretty distinctly remember people being kinda skeeved out by Iron Man having Tony be all sad about building weapons of war for the government than building a weapon of war and owning the terrorists because by God he could do it RIGHT

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Didn't see so many people here upset with Black Panther last year, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spark That Bled posted:

Lol, people are still freaking out about that movie and the CIA, you just weren't paying attention

e: For the record I think that's really overblown even if the real CIA using it to push themselves is pretty skeevy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

It got signal boosted thanks to RLM.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

I remember some comments about it being loving weird that they added that CIA guy in and it never really being acknowledged that Killmonger is just using standard run-of-the-mill CIA training but aside from that I'm drawing a blank on anyone's commentary on it besides superhero movies draining the live blood of creativity that they've always done.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spark That Bled posted:

You mean the film where one of the good guys is a hapless CIA agent who saves the day with a drone strike?

There were a few people upset with that, actually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are still people complaining about the politics of Black Panther.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Killmonger did nothing wrong

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just hope some of yunz do more work with left groups instead of just posting how problematic the dumb megacorp superhero film is.

E: Sorry just a little salty today since my week has been dragging.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 13, 2019

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Time to close the thread then

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Killmonger did nothing wrong

Running off the CIA playbook was something he did wrong. Dude was basically operating like a rogue paperclip-maximiser but with coups and civil wars.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Puppy Time posted:

The big difference (at least for me) this time around is that Captain Marvel is actively, aggressively being used as a vehicle for air force propaganda, by way of television ads and interviews, instead of merely being a piece of media that portrays military hardware.

I'm sure this isn't the first time that has happened, but it is the first time where it has felt so blatant and oppressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The thing Killmonger did wrong was inspiring a billion tedious takes and arguments on the internet