Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

El Gallinero Gros posted:

poo poo, I didn't even realize that. Is that back when he was "Kessler"?

Also George is way less dumb and neurotic in the first handful of episodes.

Ah yes those innocent days before Jason Alexander realized he was playing Larry David

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

In that brief period before I aged out of Captain Planet, 12 year old me had a crush on Dr. Blight hosed up face and all :allears:

That was always the main problem with Captain Planet. The villains were all cool as Hell, funny or super hot. Meanwhile the Planeteers were a bunch of nerds and GAIA, SPIRIT OF THE EARTH was a total killjoy. 8 year old me shouldn't be watching the show and rooting for the guy that wants to dump radioactive waste in water reservoirs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Wikipedia says the African guy is from Ghana, Wheeler is from NYC and Ma-Ti is Brazilian. I have no idea where they got that information from, but it sounds about right.

I think it's funny that Gi is listed as being from "Asia", but that's about par for the course for a 90s show.

Also some of the voice cast is super weird, like villains were voiced by Ed Asner, Jeff Goldblum, Malcom McDowell, Sting, and Martin Sheen and I need to know how much Ted Turner bribed them to appear.

IIRC they got backstories eventually with characters going back to their home place for an episode. The Wheeler is from NYC one is kind of funny because his backstory is introduced in an episode where he decides he loving hates being a Planeteer and goes back in time and stops himself from getting the ring and joining up. When he returns to the present everything sucks because for some reason Gaia couldn't just give the ring to another person, so there was no Captain Planet and the bad guys were winning.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC they got backstories eventually with characters going back to their home place for an episode. The Wheeler is from NYC one is kind of funny because his backstory is introduced in an episode where he decides he loving hates being a Planeteer and goes back in time and stops himself from getting the ring and joining up. When he returns to the present everything sucks because for some reason Gaia couldn't just give the ring to another person, so there was no Captain Planet and the bad guys were winning.

I wish we lived in the universe where Wheeler got the ring.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like my fanfiction where Captain Planet is a sequel to Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue.

Wheeler and the Red Haired Drug Dealer have the same voice

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1088517537640398848?s=19

I'm just saying Captain Planet would have been more successful if he took more permanent measures :colbert:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Frank Castle taking up the mantle of Captain Planet would be pretty awesome.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Disgusting Coward posted:

That was always the main problem with Captain Planet. The villains were all cool as Hell, funny or super hot. Meanwhile the Planeteers were a bunch of nerds and GAIA, SPIRIT OF THE EARTH was a total killjoy. 8 year old me shouldn't be watching the show and rooting for the guy that wants to dump radioactive waste in water reservoirs.

The Planeteers were okay enough in a sorta Power Rangers-kinda superhero team kinda thing, and hell, I even liked Captain P himself as a campy weirdo, but yeah the villains were cooler. Basically between the character designs, the general premise, and the voice acting it was enough to not change the channel but the actual writing and animation was, again, just kinda...ennnnhhhh.....

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Schmeichy posted:

I loved Captain Planet...

:same:

Then again, I loved Transformers, and I can't watch that crap now.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My friend and I would always joke that Captain Planet just lived a normal life when he wasn't being summoned. Like he'd be loading groceries in his car while some villain is dumping toxic waste in the park across the street. Everyone around him would beg him to do something and he'd just be like "hey, I'm off the clock"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's interesting side-effects of how Captain Planet was written that made it kinda bad at doing the thing it was setting out to do. They made the villains cartoonishly, absurdly evil so that kids wouldn't turn against their parents for working for a car company or whatever, but their villains became so unreal that pollution itself started seeming like something not to be afraid of. Because nobody's doing a Hoggish Greedly plan, we have nothing to worry about! Captain Planet himself also didn't really help, because little kids would just be super cavalier about littering and the like and think Captain Planet would clean it up.

The one thing I'd say it actually did right was having the Planeteers all be pretty cool, attainable people, rings aside. It's fair enough you want to be with someone like Kwame, or be someone like Linka, with the exception of the kid with a monkey that's all totally realizable and healthy!

Except for Wheeler. Don't pine for Wheeler.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looten Plunder is basically just a regular CEO though.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cleretic posted:

There's interesting side-effects of how Captain Planet was written that made it kinda bad at doing the thing it was setting out to do. They made the villains cartoonishly, absurdly evil so that kids wouldn't turn against their parents for working for a car company or whatever, but their villains became so unreal that pollution itself started seeming like something not to be afraid of.

I never saw a lot of Captain Planet but their villains were ridiculous: "I'm gonna dump all this toxic waste in the beautiful river! HAHAHA!" Like, why? What possible reason do you have for doing that? Is it because Captain Planet has failed to ensure that appropriate regulatory devices and disposal facilities exist, so there's literally nowhere else for the waste to go? Maybe if you zoned appropriately Captain Planet, emissions would be under control and not bother living neighbourhood. Come on, this is basic SimCity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It depends on the episode, some of the eps with Hogglish Greedly have him with an actual business model that happens to be massively environmentally irresponsible (and also one has him and his henchman cross-dressing for no adequately explained reason) and Duke Nukum at least is a mutant who wants to irradiate the world so he has a place to live more comfortably. And then Zarm is implied to be what happens when a planetary spirit like Gaia goes bad.

Captain Planet's weakness being the exact thing he sets out to fight actually kinda works, given he's incredibly overpowered otherwise.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zarm is Mraz backwards. Not a coincidence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Captain Planet makes sense when you realize it was a fever dream of Ted Turner. Also, probably a lot of cocaine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Planet? I hear he's a hero, he's going to take pollution down to zero.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

He couldn't even do that right

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I heard that saving our planet is the thing to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Planet's cameo in OK KO was apparently pretty pessimistic about preparing children for a future with a collapsing environment.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Captain Planet's cameo in OK KO was apparently pretty pessimistic about preparing children for a future with a collapsing environment.

Seems appropriate. If Captain Planet was serious about fixing the environment, he'd be teaching kids to burn down factories.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I heard that saving our planet is the thing to do.

I heard that the power is mine.

If that's true we're kind of hosed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Don Gato posted:

Also some of the voice cast is super weird, like villains were voiced by Ed Asner, Jeff Goldblum, Malcom McDowell, Sting, and Martin Sheen and I need to know how much Ted Turner bribed them to appear.

Wasn't Dr.Blight voiced my Sharron Stone?

Fake edit: Meg Ryan...I knew it was some sort of blonde, 90's actress.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean LeVar Burton and Whoopi Goldberg were regulars too, don't forget

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Not Operator posted:

Seems appropriate. If Captain Planet was serious about fixing the environment, he'd be teaching kids to burn down factories.
That's terrible.

Can you imagine the pollution that would cause? Controlled demolition is much better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Captain Planet definitely succeeded if his goal was to prepare me for an adulthood where no one cares about climate change and laughs at anyone who takes it seriously.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I decided to have a look at the Captain Planet IMDb page, and I had no idea that they changed voice actors so much. Like, every villain was played by at least two different people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S1 was famous people like Meg Ryan, Jeff Goldblum and James Coburn. Later episodes, not so much.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That said, the Mal voice change to Tim Curry was a much better choice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rirse posted:

Nothing has ever been made worse by the addition of Tim Curry

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

purple death ray posted:

Tell that to my marriage.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

That's pretty much on par with your weakness being the colour yellow.

Just realised, you could beat Captain Planet and Green Lantern to death with a banana peel.

Or a broken #2 pencil.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

The two things I remember about Earth 2 was that the captain lady was hot and Tim Curry was in it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rirse posted:

Gonna put in a vote for David Warner over Malcolm McDowell too (going by the imdb page), just because he's always the best choice.

It's like they replaced big names with their b-tier equivalents.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

nonathlon posted:

I never saw a lot of Captain Planet but their villains were ridiculous: "I'm gonna dump all this toxic waste in the beautiful river! HAHAHA!" Like, why? What possible reason do you have for doing that? Is it because Captain Planet has failed to ensure that appropriate regulatory devices and disposal facilities exist, so there's literally nowhere else for the waste to go? Maybe if you zoned appropriately Captain Planet, emissions would be under control and not bother living neighbourhood. Come on, this is basic SimCity.

Yeah, but is it cheaper to dump it in the river? Yes? Well there you go.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
No corporation in history has dumped waste illegally, that would be rude

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

tbh watching that clip just now it didn't even strain credibility when they shouted "go pollution" in unison.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am very sure that you could not, in fact, beat up Captain Planet with a bat that had been dipped in a dumpster or whatever. It needed to be like chemical sludge blocking out the yellow globe on his chest or radiation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A radioactive bat sounds like both the cause of and solution to a lot of cartoon problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

With the Trump administration dumping waste won't be illegal, so problem solved.