Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

NoWake posted:

Thanks for this. The chances of me winding up with a dilapidated bus decorating my side yard has gone from 20% to 60%.

You totally should do this, I highly recommend it.

E: new page

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's good to go, just shove whatever you find in there. Some zip ties, a couple of twigs, that rock over there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PainterofCrap posted:

Reminds me, I have to get up in the loft of my garage & drain the 60-gal Champion.

"Drain the 60 gallon champion" really sounds like a weird brag about extraordinary bladder size.

Also if anyone else is the type like me that goes from there to wondering how long of a pee that'd be, the average young adult male has a flow rate of 21 mL/sec and at that rate you'd be going for pretty much 3 hours on the nose.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003325.htm

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

"Drain the 60 gallon champion" really sounds like a weird brag about extraordinary bladder size.

Also if anyone else is the type like me that goes from there to wondering how long of a pee that'd be, the average young adult male has a flow rate of 21 mL/sec and at that rate you'd be going for pretty much 3 hours on the nose.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1310.3737

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Wow. Doing the math on that one puts us just short of 11 liters per second, or roughly 500 times rate. You'd literally be pissing like a firehose.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How does this tie in with how much a SR-71 leaks?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

How does this tie in with how much a SR-71 leaks?

Well, it's bigger than we are, so should be able to empty its bigger tanks in a similar time.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

It's interesting that males have a pretty good range of flow rates over their lifetime, where females have a pretty consistent flow rate regardless of age.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jeez, no wonder my GF says it sounds like there's a waterfall in the bathroom when I take my morning piss. I didn't think (THE FLOW DAMNIT) had increased that much since puberty.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'd never thought about it before, but it kinda makes sense that flow rate will increase around the time the tubes start needing to accommodate a thicker fluid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pretty impressive twist

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

pretty impressive twist

Interesting indeed given the grinding/welding spots.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Given the powdered rust there at the step from splines to u-joint, I'd say there was a bit of a bearing failure disintegration.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

pretty impressive twist

Goddam. Thats like a work of art.
I guess thats why the splines must be all the way in....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reticulating splines

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

pretty impressive twist

when you're fully torqued and fall out of bed, dick first

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Platystemon posted:

Reticulating splines

:yeshaha:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh nice i can repost this thing i found in one of the drill presses a couple years ago

i didn't know you could un-twist a drill bit, but a student found a way

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sagebrush posted:

oh nice i can repost this thing i found in one of the drill presses a couple years ago

:wtc:

That's impressive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I snapped a drill bit in wood the other day, how the gently caress do you apply that much torque without breaking it???

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Absurd amount of heat from a properly unlubricated drilling operation.

How else do you make your left handed bits?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They’re pretty easy to bend if you apply lateral force as well. I haven’t tried it cause it isn’t worth the time but I’ve seen other teachers trash multiple 10mm drill bits using them in sash clamps on timber projects. I instead welded up a set of pins that seem to working pretty well so far.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

I've got a drill bit like that I've been meaning to post.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We don't let Jamie use the big drill anymore.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I did this to a cheap masonry bit recently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of my friends is moving to Texas, and this happened to his diesel ]Tahoe Excursion:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 13, 2019

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CommieGIR posted:

One of my friends is moving to Texas, and this happened to his diesel Tahoe:

Yikes, I bet that woke him up. I trust he’s ok?

Did this not come with a loving terrible noise and shimmy for like 3k miles first though?

Oh, diesel. Never mind. :lol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

Yikes, I bet that woke him up. I trust he’s ok?

Did this not come with a loving terrible noise and shimmy for like 3k miles first though?

Oh, diesel. Never mind. :lol:

He's fine, he said they took a turn, started to make a noise/shimmy, and less than 15 miles later that happened.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Noise + shimmy, then drive 15 miles? Checks out

That sucks though. I've had one of my front callipers come off at 45 mph and that was bad enough

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, that’s a Ford Excursion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Also, that’s a Ford Excursion.

Yup, youre right. Misremembering.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jaguar Land Rover recalling 44k vehicles over CO2 emissions

Sounds like some models will have start/stop happen more often, others get new tires. If I had an affected vehicle I wouldn't bring it in myself, I loving hate start/stop in vehicles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Jaguar Land Rover recalling 44k vehicles over CO2 emissions

Sounds like some models will have start/stop happen more often, others get new tires. If I had an affected vehicle I wouldn't bring it in myself, I loving hate start/stop in vehicles.
Totally a valid opinion, but why? I've only ever experienced it in rental cars (I.e., low end, prius, GMs, etc.) and it's never been a bother to me, and I'm curious why it bothers others.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've only had it in rental cars, but the slight delay from pressing the gas pedal to actual moving drove me crazy. It was bugging the passengers too, and this is in a fairly new Volvo SUV. A friend and I were in a taxi on vacation and both commented later it was distracting, and that's just as a jet lagged passenger who should be looking around enjoying the scenery.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

Totally a valid opinion, but why? I've only ever experienced it in rental cars (I.e., low end, prius, GMs, etc.) and it's never been a bother to me, and I'm curious why it bothers others.

Same. I had it in my work vehicle, an Equinox and it was no problem at all. Likewise I don't care that my Sierra goes to V4 when I'm on the highway since it switches back to full power quicker than it takes to drop a gear.

I also drive moderately slow anyway. Driving is cooperative not competitive.

Edit to the post above: in my Equinox the motor started when I let go of the brake and was running by the time I pushed the gas. I perhaps learned to pause myself or let off the brake earlier to compensate.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 13, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, that may be an implementation or specific issue - the ones I've driven are all started and running before I push the gas. And I say this as someone who tends to aggressively accelerate.

I know what I've run into in a lot of cars that really bugs me is throttle desensitization - I.e., it's drive-by-wire, and they have logic built in that maybe you didn't really mean to push the gas that hard and we're just going to wait a bit or cut the input in half because it's better for gas mileage.

In extreme examples, you can tap your foot (as in, depress and release the accelerator) to the beat of music while the car is moving without changing the speed/acceleration of the vehicle. What you describe kind of sounds more like that, to me, at least.

One of my absolute favorite things about having pre-DBW cars - despite the advantages DBW can confer - is the instantaneous and direct response. I'm pushing the pedal exactly as much as I want, thanks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some of the DBW cars can be downright razor edge aggressive if you get rid of the conservative electronic throttle curve. E46 M3 and 8th Gen Civic can let you get into a position where the car will light switch on and off buck.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Some of the DBW cars can be downright razor edge aggressive if you get rid of the conservative electronic throttle curve. E46 M3 and 8th Gen Civic can let you get into a position where the car will light switch on and off buck.
Absolutely, and I know those cars have many advantages (that being one) over my older "hey push on this to yank a cable and you'll go faster, usually" cars. I'm definitely thinking of low-end, and even then, crappy economy cars.

My wife's 2017 focus doesn't have this problem, and it leans toward very sensitive when it's in Sport mode. Most of the Kias, Hyundais, and probably some other brands I'm failing to think of, rental cars are where the issue exists.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is totally fair :) . You called out one of my pet peeves, when you can depress the throttle and get back off but the car does absolutely nothing. Dear god, why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I used to hate ETC because it was so unresponsive, I still hate most CVT's because they're boring and unresponsive, hopefully this is just the growing pains of stop/start tech