Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i dont think i could date someone who was so fundamentally opposed to anime fandom that they werent into anime figurines even just existing in my space

like if it makes up enough of my life that im considering dropping 80 bucks on a figurine of it shes gotta be able to at least tolerate its existence. its not like, a failure on her part or anything, i couldnt date someone who religiously followed football every single day and wanted to talk about Stats, but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hiding things from your spouse is not a good basis for marriage generally, even if it's something as benign as "i'm a nerd"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hungry posted:

Find a partner who will combine their figure collection with yours!

Literally. In the style of Sid from Toy Story.

If they put Cirno's head on Guts' body, put a ring on their finger.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The year is 2019 and if you're feelin' ashamed of havin' a couple of goofy figurines you need to get with the times old man

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

A level beyond “the strongest”

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I intend to get married... to Reimu!

Same

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If Marie Kondo would be fine with your figures then so should everyone else.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

You deserve to have someone supportive of your hobbies!!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Merilan posted:

You deserve to have someone supportive of your hobbies!!

Man, I'm not supportive of my hobbies. Anime and vidya are guilty pleasures for me.

Only reason I still go after them is because the only other hobbies around here are hooning and rugby.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

just enjoy things you dweebus

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Look at this fuckin' nerd not enjoying things he likes. Pointin' and laughin'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What if you enjoy them but take steps to make sure that nobody around you can ever know?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Man, I'm not supportive of my hobbies. Anime and vidya are guilty pleasures for me.

Only reason I still go after them is because the only other hobbies around here are hooning and rugby.

a cartoon duck posted:

just enjoy things you dweebus

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

chumbler posted:

What if you enjoy them but take steps to make sure that nobody around you can ever know?

Like why tho

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

WarpedNaba posted:

i too also feel the pain of being in new zealand. except, not it's a pretty chill place tbh

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

WarpedNaba posted:

it's okay to have hobbies that aren't very productive. in some extreme cases, we refer to them as "leisure activities"

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Touhou is the main inspiration for the fuckin' biggest indie craze in the past decade, indirectly inspired the modern boss design in MMOs, and is basically just the Japanese equivalent of Discworld

I'm done bein' quiet about it it's 2019 and I'll yell at the world how this series kicks rear end

I'm spending like nearly a thousand bucks on turning half of one of its books into a radio play, god drat it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Boss design? You mean... having music and attacks with names? Phases?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
You know how FFXIV has these really cool bosses involving weird mechanics and how their attacks are telegraphed and you need to dodge 'em or otherwise work with your raid team to make sure that you can all survive them? That's something that started with one of the expansions to World of Warcraft. MMO bosses really weren't like that before, and now it's probably agreed upon to be the standard MMO fight style. Blizzard's on record saying that stuff was inspired by shoot-em 'ups, and specifically due to its focus on attack patterns that are recognizably distinct (and that WoW has a number of Touhou references hidden in it to start with,) you can easily infer that Touhou inspired the boss design of the game from that point forward, and indirectly inspired the boss design of the modern form of the entire genre.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Congratulations, that one guy at Blizzard who wrote the "Tiny Tiny Clever Commander" quest where you kill the kobold Naz'rim.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Was he the same guy who had a slave race drop watermelons and fried chicken?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I certainly hope not.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Humanity will make it to the 22nd century and beyond if and only if it embraces Touhou and Zun’s doujin spirit. Believe it!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Captain Cappy posted:

Humanity will make it to the 22nd century and beyond if and only if it embraces Touhou and Zun’s doujin spirit. Believe it!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You know how FFXIV has these really cool bosses involving weird mechanics and how their attacks are telegraphed and you need to dodge 'em or otherwise work with your raid team to make sure that you can all survive them? That's something that started with one of the expansions to World of Warcraft. MMO bosses really weren't like that before, and now it's probably agreed upon to be the standard MMO fight style. Blizzard's on record saying that stuff was inspired by shoot-em 'ups, and specifically due to its focus on attack patterns that are recognizably distinct (and that WoW has a number of Touhou references hidden in it to start with,) you can easily infer that Touhou inspired the boss design of the game from that point forward, and indirectly inspired the boss design of the modern form of the entire genre.
What references are those? Clarste already mentioned the only one I know about.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Close enough

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I forgot about CHO-Marisa.

I would like to continue to forget, thank you kindly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
magic is all about power

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

magic is all about power

Love, actually.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 12, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was the Cho Marisa figure a one off custom someone made or was it something you could actually buy as a product

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

First one, then the other.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I hit 100 auditions last night and I still have half of the time until the deadline left :toot:
I pretty much already have a perfect Kanako and Marisa, but I suppose there's always the rare chance that someone can overturn those. 8 days left.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
4,641 Touhou arrangements are being added to digital download services this weekend: https://touhou-music.jp/news/3%E6%9C%8816%E6%97%A5%E6%A5%BD%E6%9B%B2%E8%BF%BD%E5%8A%A0%E4%BA%88%E5%91%8A/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Does it say which services? Glad of it though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
It's the same program that launched late last year, so just iTunes and Google Play Music. You can browse the main page and it'll give direct links to the store listings, but probably only for Japan. Might have to search the services themselves to see if they are in your country. https://touhou-music.jp/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm just waiting for ZUN to release the back catalogue on steam

Unless he gave up on the idea

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
He wants to put up 2 or 3 this year, but we also know he's busy making a new game for (probably) Summer Comiket. Chances are it's gonna be demo on Reitaisai, full game in C96.
Plus he's also working on that new book, and it seems like WaHH is ending this year... it's a real busy year for ZUN.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Or, actually he'll just put out Impossible Spell Card on Steam on April 1st.
And LoLK sometime during April, too.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

leather fedora posted:

4,641 Touhou arrangements are being added to digital download services this weekend: https://touhou-music.jp/news/3%E6%9C%8816%E6%97%A5%E6%A5%BD%E6%9B%B2%E8%BF%BD%E5%8A%A0%E4%BA%88%E5%91%8A/

Oh gosh yes, now I can keep on throwing money at more of my favorite artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Got some cute Touhou stuff from the Animate in Shibuya today, probably gonna use the Aya case for my bus card!!

I also found physical CDs so I bought the Mountain of Faith OST cause that's my favorite one (PC-98 ones weren't around sadly). I'm looking to find the Gensou Shoujo Taisen You/Ei game CDs and OSTs before I leave too