Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Riatsala posted:

I used to play the heck out of NS1 when I was a teenager. I apparently own NS2, is it still an active game?
Ugh, so mad at NS2. It could have been great but they went HAM on ESPORTS!!! and designed it like that from the beginning, so everything's optimally balanced for 6 to 8 player teams and 30 minute matches while all the servers run 10 per side because that's actually you know fun. It also has a very high skill ceiling (because ESPORTS!!!), and there were already a hell of a lot of real good players at launch because they'd all been playing the private alpha and beta for months. This killed the casual crowd so it never built up enough of a casual player base to really hit critical mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's still around and there's still a lot of active servers and it's still pretty fun to play but my god did they botch that launch hard.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Aliens is on right now, on Sundance lol

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haven't checked out NS in a while but it always makes me wish I could still play Gloom, the quake2 mod

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Durzel posted:

There used to be an Alien experience thing at an arcade in London back around 2010 where you were dropped in with some people playing as Marines, who get ambushed by Aliens, etc. Naturally it was poo poo your pants terrifying.

A mate of mine took his girlfriend there, they had only been going out for a short time. She apparently screamed the whole time and they broke up afterwards lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-aBs7TB000

That looks so cheezy but also amazing. I would love to work there, but I also wouldn't be able to stop my self from laghing at stuff like the long skinny wibbly-wobbly-bendy Alien fingers.

I also like the part where the reporter sexually assaults the two actors playing marines. Really fits in with the whole "alien is a rape monster" theme.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Philthy posted:

When I saw Aliens in the theater on release weekend the audience went loving NUTS when Ripley came out of the hanger with the power armor.

I loving love stories like this, I wish there was more recordings of it like this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRveOGMflo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I saw both Alien and Aliens in large-format at the Toronto Cinesphere a few months back, and the audience was animated as gently caress, hollering after "get away from her you bitch!" and a handful of people were reciting Hudson's lines as they happened.

The best moment of audience reaction I've experienced in a theatre though, was for The Matrix: Reloaded on opening night. Remember that cliffhanger ending right before RATM kicks in and the credits roll? Imagine a theatre packed with 300 nerds, many in hilarious cosplay, simultaneously groaning and yelling in something between anger and appreciation. It was palpable.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I saw both Alien and Aliens in large-format at the Toronto Cinesphere a few months back, and the audience was animated as gently caress, hollering after "get away from her you bitch!" and a handful of people were reciting Hudson's lines as they happened.

The best moment of audience reaction I've experienced in a theatre though, was for The Matrix: Reloaded on opening night. Remember that cliffhanger ending right before RATM kicks in and the credits roll? Imagine a theatre packed with 300 nerds, many in hilarious cosplay, simultaneously groaning and yelling in something between anger and appreciation. It was palpable.

I should clarify, first screenings only, although I guess it was on topic so what can I say...

I appreciated your 2nd story, good stuff.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mister Speaker posted:

Good audience reactions have been making a comeback. A Quiet Place, Get Out, and 10 Cloverfield Lane all benefitted from having a great crowd.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A movie franchise based around oral rape monsters.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

etalian posted:

A movie franchise based around oral rape monsters.

The sexual imagery is potent, powerful, provocative.

and hooooot!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

frogge posted:

I've been showing my girlfriend the aliens franchise because of this thread and so we watched Alien first. She'd never seen it before and she guessed most of what was going to happen next. It kind of made me realize how different pacing in movies was back then compared to more recent films. Aliens later this week. I can't wait.

I trust that you explained to her that the reason she recognized the pacing is because the movies that informed her of it were ripping off Alien

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The sexual imagery is potent, powerful, provocative.

and hooooot!

Hiring H.R Giger with his hordes of penis monster art just wasn't enough

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Did she like it? This is important for the future of your relationship.
She did, thankfully. Should have watched it sooner just in case so it'd be an easier break.

VikingSkull posted:

I trust that you explained to her that the reason she recognized the pacing is because the movies that informed her of it were ripping off Alien
Yeah a little before and after we talked about how famous movies create tropes and I tried to get her to imagine what seeing Alien for the first time without those tropes in the back of one's mind would have been like. I know a lot of it is exposition and pacing, but none do it as hard as "Deer Hunter."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JahkT5htQjE

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Caf posted:

In an amazing coincidence, I adopted a dog and named her Ripley on the same day this thread was posted.

:kimchi:

If you have a child and the dog is bother them you can say "Get away from her/him you BITCH!"

Tertius Oculum posted:

Aliens is on right now, on Sundance lol

I'm watching it. And Predator is on next!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I loving love stories like this, I wish there was more recordings of it like this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRveOGMflo

I LOVE midnight showings of movies (grand openings). I did it for all of the LOTR movies and A Phantom Menace. Even the Phantom Menace was fun with a crowd that's all into it. I was maybe 13-14 and had a lightsaber fight with my friend in the theater before it started. The LOTR was awesome. Like in the Two Towers where Legolas kills a bunch of orcs and then slides down the stairs at Helm's Deep to save Gimli. The crowd goes nuts.

Even if the movie isn't that great, the crowd makes it great.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 13, 2019

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Easily makes my top 10 (ish) movies list. James Cameron being the sequel master. I still wonder what he has in store for the next 3 Avatar sequels.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fcc compliant bob posted:

Easily makes my top 10 (ish) movies list. James Cameron being the sequel master. I still wonder what he has in store for the next 3 Avatar sequels.

Alien vs Avatar when

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched most of AvP 2 last night. Again I always watch these movies late at night so I get tired sometimes and pass out.

Spoilers because the movie is over a decade old.

AvP and AvP 2 are two totally different movies in my opinion. AvP was more of an adventure film. The main hero is the one you know from the very beginning of the movie. It's a big mystery for half the movie and you discover why the Predators hunt the aliens. The ending is... interesting with the hero with the alien armor/weapons and teaming up with a Predator so the predator ends up being the GOOD guy.

Not so much in AvP 2. Holy poo poo is it dark. It goes back to more of a horror/action. Predators are evil right off the bat. The whole movie is very dark as in lighting. Rickety Cricket is in it but he was looking well so probably before he moved to Philly. There is some action in it but it's so pitiful and everyone dies. Like the end when a whole town gets daisy cutter dropped on it. They have some really dark poo poo in it. Like the Predalien going into the maternity ward and impregnating pregnant women and they burst out of their wombs. :stare:

It's hard to compare the two to be honest. Requiem is not a terrible movie and I think a lot of why I liked it was just because of the shock of the horrible stuff they were doing in the movie. It was pretty uh... ballsy.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Rickety Cricket is in it but he was looking well so probably before he moved to Philly.

This might be my favorite thing I've ever read on these forums

Also you jerks got me to try Isolation last night with all my lights off, I think I might've seen the Alien once before I turned it off.

Will try again tonight, probably.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Not so much in AvP 2. Holy poo poo is it dark. It goes back to more of a horror/action. Predators are evil right off the bat. The whole movie is very dark as in lighting. Rickety Cricket is in it but he was looking well so probably before he moved to Philly. There is some action in it but it's so pitiful and everyone dies. Like the end when a whole town gets daisy cutter dropped on it. They have some really dark poo poo in it. Like the Predalien going into the maternity ward and impregnating pregnant women and they burst out of their wombs. :stare:

It's hard to compare the two to be honest. Requiem is not a terrible movie and I think a lot of why I liked it was just because of the shock of the horrible stuff they were doing in the movie. It was pretty uh... ballsy.
The Predator in AvP 2 is the protagonist. He's Space Plisskin on a volunteer mission to clean up after a bunch of idiots accidentally release a potential extinction event on a populated planet L, while also keeping a bunch of primitives from getting hold of space tech they're not ready for.

Also I saw AI in the cinema and hooboy, talk about your audience reactions.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

The Predator in AvP 2 is the protagonist. He's Space Plisskin on a volunteer mission to clean up after a bunch of idiots accidentally release a potential extinction event on a populated planet L, while also keeping a bunch of primitives from getting hold of space tech they're not ready for.

Also I saw AI in the cinema and hooboy, talk about your audience reactions.

Earth as a planetwise quarantine zone/prison, full of dangerous monsters and scattered tribes of humanty would be a cool predator premise.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Good audience reactions have been making a comeback. A Quiet Place, Get Out, and 10 Cloverfield Lane all benefitted from having a great crowd.

I think horror movies always benefit from crowds, except maybe super serious ones like Hereditary*. Most of my best moviegoing experiences have been seeing horror movies on opening weekend in packed theaters. Even mediocre movies can be super fun if the crowd is into it. Some particularly memorable ones for me were Get Out, Drag Me to Hell, and the Evil Dead remake.

*I first saw Hereditary on a weekday afternoon so there was almost no one there, but when the movie ended the ~10 people in the theater all kind of stood up and looked at each other like "holy poo poo", so that was a good experience too

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Earth as a planetwise quarantine zone/prison, full of dangerous monsters and scattered tribes of humanty would be a cool predator premise.

I've actually want a Predator movie as if it's Deliverance for Predators.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I've actually want a Predator movie as if it's Deliverance for Predators.

I think the world is ready for this.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

that's literally what we are in that universe

you know how rich fucks go and shoot elk in Africa? that's us, we're the elk

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

who the gently caress hunts elk in Africa

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Rich people. Money buys you everything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish of hemp posted:

Especially guillotines

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Fish of hemp posted:

the wizard person was right they dont have elk in africa really

i was thinking of antelope

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think horror movies always benefit from crowds, except maybe super serious ones like Hereditary*.

I think I saw a news article about A Quiet Place. Lots of people were very annoyed because they could hear other movie goers chewing popcorn and stuff lol. That'd have driven me insane.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

VikingSkull posted:

the wizard person was right they dont have elk in africa really

i was thinking of antelope

Fish of hemp posted:

I'm guessing this guy here is insinuating that you can be so rich to buy elk and ship them to Africa for you to hunt! gently caress the antelope. They're too fast anyway.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think I saw a news article about A Quiet Place. Lots of people were very annoyed because they could hear other movie goers chewing popcorn and stuff lol. That'd have driven me insane.

I want the guy who's whisper-explaining everything that's happening on the screen into his wife's ear

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I want the guy who's whisper-explaining everything that's happening on the screen into his wife's ear

That's me. But it's not my wife. It's a stranger. And I put my hand on his/her leg while whispering.

I'm not allowed back at that theater.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I watched Aliens in ode to this thread and yeah it's rad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i like hudson's arc from braggart to humbled coward to redemption in battle

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Classic IT guy arc.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yep. One of my favorite aspects of the movie. He finally pulls it together (with the help of Ripely) and completely redeems himself and truly becomes The Ultimate Badass.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it was cute stunt casting to make him the sgt apone expy in edge of tomorrow

rip twister guy, dude from the framing device story in titanic, sidekick cop in predator 2, punk #2 in the terminator, and most of all the private hudson of our hearts

e: lol i just looked at everyone's expression in that screen grab. this is clearly like the 50th time they've heard hudsons "knives and sharp sticks" material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

speaking of tiny beats that happen right on the edge of the frame and give the movie so much life, i love how in the meeting with the wy execs and galactic transportation safety board suits when she grabs someone's report from the desk to illustrate how "if just one of those things gets down here, all this bullshit you think is so important you can kiss it goodbye"-- there's a hand reaching into frame desperately trying to grab it back in that shot.

i love that the background actor made that choice and they kept that take. it's so great. like "please ma'am that is an important document i am using in a presentation i booked after this with the senior vp of space tug boat concepts"