Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
tbh, after reading this thread, i got myself a copy of Zelda 2 and am now looking forward to playing it. the side-scrolling aspect of the combat was also just so bizarre and intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

no

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

tbh, after reading this thread, i got myself a copy of Zelda 2 and am now looking forward to playing it. the side-scrolling aspect of the combat was also just so bizarre and intriguing.

It really is cool! It's easy to see what they were going for, and trying to emphasize the combat system a bit more. The pieces were there for a good combat system but the execution is rough for all the reasons already stated. But I really liked having to learn how to fight and slash and block for each enemy, even the ones that sucked.

PS if you think of the North Temple as a bonfire then Zelda 2 is just 8-bit dark souls

lol fair

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I kinda wish a more modern take of Zelda 2 was attempted, because the ideas are generally good but holy poo poo they couldn’t execute on it at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I kinda wish a more modern take of Zelda 2 was attempted, because the ideas are generally good but holy poo poo they couldn’t execute on it at all.

Yeah...I'm all on board with changing the style up, but in execution? A big NOPE :majorminor:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got the final mix collection so I've been playing Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. This is a thing dragging the later games down: something about the first game that the later ones all kind of missed, although 2 and 3 have aspects of it in some of them, is that the levels all felt like their own unique challenge even if some of them weren't very good.

Traverse Town was a lot of small puzzles that amounted to returning every now and then with a new power to solve them, like getting fire to light hte fireplace in Cid's shop, blizzard to put out the candles in hte cafe, thunder to activate the gizmo shop, and the painting prizes in the hotel and postcards around town. Wonderland was one big spacial awareness puzzle, consistently laid out in both the normal and hosed up versions you just had to work out how it connected, Deep Jungle was basic platforming (which wasn't very good admittedly but it had something) and the colosseum had the arena mode.

Then there are levels in the second half that take these concepts to their extreme, Atlantica was all one big gimmick with swimming, but then you had Halloweentown's Puzzle Bosses, the cave of wonders being a less complex but harder to navigate connectivity puzzle, Neverland expanded on Atlantica's gimmick and Hollow Bastion was Traverse Town taken to extremes with mechanical stuff and puzzles everywhere that were required to progress.
I miss that in later games.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally got the final mix collection so I've been playing Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. This is a thing dragging the later games down: something about the first game that the later ones all kind of missed, although 2 and 3 have aspects of it in some of them, is that the levels all felt like their own unique challenge even if some of them weren't very good.

Traverse Town was a lot of small puzzles that amounted to returning every now and then with a new power to solve them, like getting fire to light hte fireplace in Cid's shop, blizzard to put out the candles in hte cafe, thunder to activate the gizmo shop, and the painting prizes in the hotel and postcards around town. Wonderland was one big spacial awareness puzzle, consistently laid out in both the normal and hosed up versions you just had to work out how it connected, Deep Jungle was basic platforming (which wasn't very good admittedly but it had something) and the colosseum had the arena mode.

Then there are levels in the second half that take these concepts to their extreme, Atlantica was all one big gimmick with swimming, but then you had Halloweentown's Puzzle Bosses, the cave of wonders being a less complex but harder to navigate connectivity puzzle, Neverland expanded on Atlantica's gimmick and Hollow Bastion was Traverse Town taken to extremes with mechanical stuff and puzzles everywhere that were required to progress.
I miss that in later games.

I definitely noticed the same when playing KH2 for the first time last month. A lot of the worlds in it are serviceable, but they're generally just connected combat arena rooms with little to differentiate each other. There are some exceptions like Lion King, but for the most part the Disney worlds feel a bit phoned in.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I've apparently played the Dead Space series to the point where replaiyng Resident Evil 4 for the first time since it's 2005 release is just painful.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I never played RE 4 until recently, right after... Dead Space 2. It definitely takes some getting used to that you can’t aim AND walk.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I did not play Zelda 1 and 2 until the GameCube rerelease of the early games. I found the wonky combat of 2 to be less infuriating than the completely arbitrarily hidden dungeons of the original. I could actually play 2 without a guide.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RyokoTK posted:

At the very least bits and pieces of Zelda 2 did filter down into later games. But yeah, doubtful we'll ever see an actual 2D platforming-focused Zelda ever again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I've apparently played the Dead Space series to the point where replaiyng Resident Evil 4 for the first time since it's 2005 release is just painful.

It took a few hours to force my mind into the older controls when I replayed it this year, but it eventually gets good again. It really needs a remake to bring the controls up to date though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like the concept of Elusive Targets in Hitman 1 or 2.

On the surface, it sounds neat - a remix of a level with a new, un-related-to-the-story target that you have one chance to take out. The game tells you that you can't save, can't restart, and if you die, it's over.

Except that's not how Hitman works. It's a game about trying new things, learning the lay of the land, and getting better at taking out your target in interesting ways. I just played one last night that was in the game's first, smallest, level, and it was frustrating. I replanned the level repeatedly (apparently this is allowed, but restarting it isn't?), and eventually did it very well, except that randomly someone saw me at the end. My options were to replan it again, or finish the level - I did the latter, and as a result I didn't get a Silent Assassin rating (the best rating). And now apparently I can never try it again to do better, which is frustrating to know, and makes me not want to try any of the other ones, especially given the size of the levels that they'll take place in.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can restart any time up until you kill the target.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The whole Elusive Target thing is meant to be a challenge run. It's like complaining that the suit only challenge isn't how hitman works because you're supposed to disguise yourself to infiltrate.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took a few hours to force my mind into the older controls when I replayed it this year, but it eventually gets good again. It really needs a remake to bring the controls up to date though.

RE4's controls are so much better when you start just using the D-pad for everything. It's painfully digital, which would be the best thing to improve in a remake.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Danaru posted:

The whole Elusive Target thing is meant to be a challenge run. It's like complaining that the suit only challenge isn't how hitman works because you're supposed to disguise yourself to infiltrate.

Yeah but if I don't get Silent Assassin on a suit-only run, for whatever reason, I'm not locked out of it. I can try it again. As far as I can tell, there is now a challenge (silent assassin Hawke's Bay Elusive Target) that is literally impossible for me to get.

If Elusive Targets were just, like, challenges that lasted X days and could be tried and retried like a regular level, with its own small set of challenges to complete and stuff, but only for those X days, I'd enjoy them a whole lot more.

Though to be frank I don't like their scheduled nature either. Kind of punishes people who don't get the game early, and will tell you straight-up that you missed the targets, with nothing you can actually do about it (except wait months and months before they show up again).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm too impatient to wait for the Yakuza 3-5 PS4 remasters, so I tracked down a PS3 disc of 3. I'm aware it's a cut version but I just want to finally continue the series. What does throw me off after playing 0, 1 and 2 is that they still call Kazama Fuma in the subtitles.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Vermintide 2 is making just about the worst first impression possible

First start up it closes because it couldn't reach the game server

Second startup launches me into a terrible unskippable, unpauseable tutorial with crappy animations, and fullscreen from the launcher didn't stick so I couldn't see my healthbar or half the subtitles

Get it over with, get into first mission where I'm the last one over a barrier you can't retroactively access and get jumped by an assassin and killed while my teammates can only look on. Teammates don't rescue me later.

Next match I get to the last encounter when the host disconnects and the match ends with no experience, items, or progress made

Also, why is it in the year 2019 we still get dialogue where someone is interrupted mid-sentence but there's a 2-3 second pause before the person who interrupts them starts talking? I've seen maybe 3 video games get this right, so it's possible, but 99% of them can't pull it off.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It really is cool! It's easy to see what they were going for, and trying to emphasize the combat system a bit more. The pieces were there for a good combat system but the execution is rough for all the reasons already stated. But I really liked having to learn how to fight and slash and block for each enemy, even the ones that sucked.

PS if you think of the North Temple as a bonfire then Zelda 2 is just 8-bit dark souls

lol fair

I'd agree with this assessment if it didn't, as the other poster said, often put you in situations where the only tactic is to smash your head against a brick wall until you can brute force segments.

The most notable being engagements against Iron Knuckles in narrow areas where you can't even jump, you just flail up and down slash until it connects, or enemies that you need Fire magic to kill three quarters of the way into a dungeon after you already expended your mana to stay alive, or placing Dairas on steps below you where your only chance to kill them at that point is to have either insane reflexes or just luck into not losing your entire healthbar.

Link is also just gimped, no reach on his sword, massive knockback animation on getting hit, puny magic supply, his sword beam is nigh worthless (only works on the weakest enemies), and enemies outpace him the majority of the time.

The game is a whole bunch of unique, innovative ideas that they then proceed to poo poo on while focusing more on designing the dungeons around getting your stats high enough so you are capable of buffering enough mistakes to get through them.

Also there's no excuse for the metric fuckton of flying enemies that infinitely spawn and do nothing but force you to engage in either tedious screen clearing while crawling forward or perfectly jumping over enemies that zoom all over the place as Link's laborious jump animation creaks over them.

EDIT: I honestly think it could have been a good game if they ditched the XP and just made Link more mobile and gave his sword longer reach.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Mar 14, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

EDIT: I honestly think it could have been a good game if they ditched the XP and just made Link more mobile and gave his sword longer reach.

I feel like it could've been a great SNES experiment, a lot like LttP has the same basic mechanics as Zelda 1 but feels so much more refined in terms of playability.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Re: Zelda 2 chat, I just played it for the first time recently (and doing a new game+) and while every single criticism is spot on, I really enjoyed it.

git gud

I honestly think Zelda 2 had more of an impact on the franchise than Zelda 1.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Theres a small zelda fangame called legend of princess thats a fun “what if” of what a more modern 2d zelda would be like. Its short and only one dungeon but it does all the boss fights youd want to do in one.

Also the Shantae games (except the most recent one ) are basically already this with a 2d overworld and dungeons where you get a new ability or item .

To contribute to the thread, kingdom heartz 3 is too easy sometimes. I went through the entire game without using a single meal boost and magic just melts things.

Tengames has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Mar 14, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My friends and and I have been playing Helldivers lately and it’s a lot of fun but there are two things that bother me with it.

The first is that, in order to unlock call ins and other cool stuff like a rocket launcher, you have to complete specific planets. But the game has a persistent campaign and right now the only place we can deploy is the bug home world. This means we can’t go back to other planets and unlock gear until this campaign wraps up so I can’t unlock the thing that allows me to upgrade my giant machine gun.

The second is that the game tends to spiral out of control really quick in a bad way. When you’re walking around the map you don’t generally encounter enemies outside of small patrols of a single unit type. If these patrols aren’t killed immediately they set off an alert and then the dangerous enemies come to gently caress you up. These alerts also call in other patrols which in turn set off the alarm and spawn more enemies. It gets to the point where sometimes we have to just run across the entire map to disengage and reset which I feels kinda defeats the purpose of being badasses from Super Earth.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been playing PS4 Spider-Man again (now with DLC!), and man, that game is
so good.

So good that the forced stealth missions suck even harder on a second playthrough. I was looking around online and found a defense of them by the creative director I hadn't seen before, that somehow makes me even angrier. Like, I can see some reasoning behind his points, but none of them lead to fun gameplay. I get giving MJ something to do besides getting rescued, but I wind up hating her by the end of each segment, I'd so much rather just show up to find her getting the best of the thugs, than getting captured over and over until I get it right, and still having Spider-Man swing in to help out.

Also, for the latter two points, I bought the game to play as Spider-Man. That's what I want to do. If it gets too intense I'll switch to something else for a while. Giving me five or ten minutes of slow insta-fail stealth isn't going to give me any insight into how a regular person feels in a superpowered world other than "UGH NORMAL PEOPLE SUCK WHY CAN'T I JUST BE A SUPERHERO AGAIN".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I didn't mind them when I played the game for the first time, but holy poo poo there was a huge drop-off when I went back to play NG+.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's honestly impressive to me how much companies have stuck with content that players have never liked. I was sick of forced stealth sections in 2002. Nobody has ever liked them. It's bizarre that with all the desperate trend-chasing in the industry they still do this stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just went through one in the otherwise confidently designed and perfectly paced Steamworld Dig 2. It wasn't the worst offender and had some cool gimmicks but Jesus Christ. Is it 2004 again

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's honestly impressive to me how much companies have stuck with content that players have never liked. I was sick of forced stealth sections in 2002. Nobody has ever liked them. It's bizarre that with all the desperate trend-chasing in the industry they still do this stuff.

Even Saints Row 4 had a "parody" stealth section that was pretty funny but an absolute drag on subsequent playthroughs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked the stealth sections in Spider-Man. It reminded me how much freedom and power you have when you're playing as Spidey by contrasting how a normal person has to deal with these situations. Made me appreciate the other 95% of the game that much more. Plus they are insultingly easy.

Anyway: current grip:

There are a tonne of little annoying things with Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite, but I find it really lazy that Arcade mode doesn't have any character endings, just a congratulations screen. I know playing this game against the CPU is missing the point a little, but I liked all the daft little endings in UMvC3.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Mar 15, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's one forced stealth section I genuinely like and think is a lot of fun (in a game that doesn't have stealth as a significant focus, that is), and that's Wind Waker's. It's not altogether very hard, but they manage to make it very tense, and as silly as the musical sting and camera-narrowing when a Moblin almost catches you is, it's also extremely effective at making you feel tense without actually making things too difficult.

But even that one has a problem that it comes way too early in the game. You haven't even gotten to fight a boss yet and it forces you into the extended stealth section.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wind Waker's was ok, made it really cool to go back later and gently caress everything up.

Unfortunately that reminds me of the HORRIBLE one in Breath of the Wild where you follow the forest idiot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If we're being honest I put Wind Waker down after the forced stealth section and the boring boating

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

So good that the forced stealth missions suck even harder on a second playthrough. I was looking around online and found a defense of them by the creative director I hadn't seen before, that somehow makes me even angrier. Like, I can see some reasoning behind his points, but none of them lead to fun gameplay. I get giving MJ something to do besides getting rescued, but I wind up hating her by the end of each segment, I'd so much rather just show up to find her getting the best of the thugs, than getting captured over and over until I get it right, and still having Spider-Man swing in to help out.

The worst part is how MJ complains to Spider-Man about how she doesn't need to get rescued, but the fact that she hasn't been shot to pieces yet is an almighty miracle and frankly, everything she did is something Spider-Man could've done faster, better, and with less chance of death. Can you imagine telling a fireman that you ran into a burning building because you have agency and wanted to do something helpful? He'd fuckin' go off on you and tell you to leave this poo poo to well-equipped professionals.

At least Miles' situations were forced upon him.

moosecow333 posted:

It gets to the point where sometimes we have to just run across the entire map to disengage and reset which I feels kinda defeats the purpose of being badasses from Super Earth.

To be fair, you aren't badasses. Bugs eviscerate you. Your own transports crush you without thought. Enemies will swarm you and the only reason you survive is because you're carrying out, essentially, guerrila missions. You've simply been conditioned to believe you're the best that Super Earth has to offer, but what you are is disposable fodder used to forward the institution of 'managed democracy'.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think stealth sections in games are only really fun when they're easy. It's way more enjoyable to have the feeling of "I can't believe I actually got away with that" than sit in one spot for five minutes carefully mapping out patrol routes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I liked the stealth sections in Spider-Man. It reminded me how much freedom and power you have when you're playing as Spidey by contrasting how a normal person has to deal with these situations. Made me appreciate the other 95% of the game that much more. Plus they are insultingly easy.

I know the designer mentioned that first part, and it makes sense in an abstract way, but in gameplay it just doesn't translate to anything other than aggravation for me. I'm already having about the most fun ever as Spider-Man, interrupting me with five or ten minutes of beating my head against the well out of boredom and frustration. I appreciate Spider-Man more, but not in a good way, just in an "ugh, at least that's over for now :rolleyes:" one.

And yeah, they're mostly straightforward, but the later ones all seem to have one spot that just catches me up repeatedly. But then that gets me into an escalating cycle of reloading and loving up worse as I get more fed up with standing around waiting for the right time in the badguys' predefined cycle to align with what I'm intended to do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My beef with the Stealth Missions is how linear they are. In a game with such freedom of movement and an arsenal of gadgets, attacks, and tricks to defeat your foes, having a section that has a single path that you must follow, essentially being an interactive cutscene, really gives the idea that they had to shoehorn it in.

The one moment where you play as MJ signaling open targets for Peter to swoop down and take out was inspired and actually shows them as a proper team. Everything else, eh.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samuringa posted:

My beef with the Stealth Missions is how linear they are. In a game with such freedom of movement and an arsenal of gadgets, attacks, and tricks to defeat your foes, having a section that has a single path that you must follow, essentially being an interactive cutscene, really gives the idea that they had to shoehorn it in.

Yeah, and usually they are either super easy, because developers are extra cautious that anyone won't get stuck there, or annoyingly hard, if they weren't cautious and the game engine doesn't support proper stealth gameplay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Metal Gear Solid is the best stealth game cause I can just shoot everyone and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Samuringa posted:

The one moment where you play as MJ signaling open targets for Peter to swoop down and take out was inspired and actually shows them as a proper team. Everything else, eh.

Not really - I mean, what was stopping Spider-Man from doing it all himself? He can distract them, he is the one to take them out, she adds nothing in this situation. What she excels at is information gathering and dissection, building a network of (non-super) contacts, and helping him out from a place of relative safety. She gets in the way.

Case in point: when you have to stealth through the outpost in the park, she finds the guy she's looking for and before she can get information from him, Spider-Man accidentally knocks him out because he was holding a gun. And she gets mad at him, like its his fault she ran into a heavily-patrolled base and got a gun pointed at her. What this demonstrated, however, was that it was trivial for Spider-Man to jump into the camp undetected and find the man they were looking for. Had she not been involved, there would have been no issue at all.