Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

That's what the jerkoff machine is for.

SEX MACHINE!!

I don't ever want to hear you call it a jerkoff machine again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Based on what we've seen, I would think OSI would be the ones to suppress all cloning tech and the only reason they aren't going after the Ventures is both nepotism and Brock probably regularly reporting this stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tarlibone posted:

On the second paragraph: you're probably right. That would be pretty fun to put in the show, the fact that the boys are targets of the GCI no matter what, by the simple fact of their existence.

To the first point: that sounds like the first sentence of an episode pitch.

You could do an entire season, Rusty puts off filling out the clone form it turns into a big battle on their front lawn (again). Rusty finally looks at the drat thing and it's 4 questions Date of cloning. Memory Transfer Date. Date of Original's Death and signature. Everyone drops their weapons after he presses submit or hands it to a guild agent. Start and end of season, fill the middle in with normal Venture Bros stuff.

There's probably much better ideas for a season so I hope they do something else.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

Based on what we've seen, I would think OSI would be the ones to suppress all cloning tech and the only reason they aren't going after the Ventures is both nepotism and Brock probably regularly reporting this stuff.

Yeah, I don't think OSI gives a poo poo about Rusty using cloning technology to make more idiot kids. They probably weren't cool about the clone army, but the fact that he used it to fight off an illegal Guild operation probably gave him a pass.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Triestar says in the season 3 finale that Brock never told OSI about the cloning facility, and by the time they knew, the facility was essentially destroyed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably pretty cut and dry under the right circumstances. Original (or last clone) dies, new clone activated, that clone is treated as the original. New clone activated while the original is still alive, that's a duplicate and has no rights to anything the original has.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

That's what the jerkoff machine is for.

Now that you mention it, how is your mom doing these days?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Whatever the technicalities, I can definitely believe the Guild has extensive bylaws with clones in mind.

What we don't know is the context in which Rusty is a clone. It might be too simple to assume he just had the same treatment Hank and Dean did, and we've had theories about Jonas Jr being a true clone/child of Jonas that was absorbed in the womb.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Venture bros cloning follows FTL rules. The same for the most part but you take a hit to exp

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's still about lot of ambiguity around the nature of Rusty's cloning. It may not be the exact situation of Hank and Dean (a really big bandaid for a really big boo-boo).

I still think that Rusty is the only Rusty there was, but that he was made out of a failed attempt to clone Jonas (which led to JJ.)

Jonas really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would keep cloning his dead son who was a massive disappointment to him. He does strike me as a guy who is so vain that his vision of an ideal son is an exact clone, but then lost interest when the whole thing didn't turn out as he wanted.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

There's still about lot of ambiguity around the nature of Rusty's cloning. It may not be the exact situation of Hank and Dean (a really big bandaid for a really big boo-boo).

I still think that Rusty is the only Rusty there was, but that he was made out of a failed attempt to clone Jonas (which led to JJ.)

Jonas really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would keep cloning his dead son who was a massive disappointment to him. He does strike me as a guy who is so vain that his vision of an ideal son is an exact clone, but then lost interest when the whole thing didn't turn out as he wanted.

I mostly agree with this, although I don't believe that Rusty was an attempted clone of Jonas. I mean, it's possible, but I just don't buy it. (I could be wrong, though. I was wrong once before.)

I do think, though, that Jonas would definitely keep cloning new Rusties every time one died. Oh, not because he cared about keeping his boy alive--which in a twisted way is Rusty's motivation; their 14th deaths kind-of sent him on a "'Heroic' Blue Screen of Death" spiral. No, Jonas would do it because he was so vain and concerned with his popular image that he'd never in a million years allow anyone to know that his lifestyle led to his son's death. That's a reputation-killer. That would not fly at all. The fact that Rusty was, as far as Jonas was concerned, a massively disappointing and ungrateful anchor tethered to Jonas' balls would matter naught.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PROBLEM is the solution to everything it held all the answers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It just feels like the "proper" nature of cloning and Rusty is that Jonas kept trying to make a successful cloning system so that he could have a backup Rsty in case anything happened, but he couldn't nail it and Rusty ended up not dying anyway.

Also, given how Jonas tended to think, he might have insisted on a forced-growth thing so that he could whip up a fresh Rusty from nothing to as old as Rusty was which wouldn't work. We see that Rusty's own solution involved preparing a vast stockpile of clones at the same time, possibly only starting once the boys were already toddlers, and so they'd be more or less correctly aged when needed.

So maybe the whole key to successful cloning work was to have the level of patience Jonas would never put up with? Not even necessarily that Rusty was himself patient about it, but rather that he was willing to walk away and do something else for a while with the experiment going, and hey he comes back and the clones seem to be developing fine!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rusty did an aged up clone later when that kid got mauled by a gorilla.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I always assumed Rusty started cloning the boys after the first time they died due to his negligence.

And why would Jonas need to clone himself when his science is STRONG

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonas didn’t have any way to age up the clone. We also don’t know that rusty was cloned more than once. From the last season they fixed some things timeline wise, but for rusty to be in college in the late 80s, he would have to have been born either in the late 60s/70s. We know also there was a preteenish rusty in the late 60s. My guess is he died and current rusty is a sole clone born in the same timeframe as Malcolm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Or Malcolm is a clone as well which would explain when he doesn't remember playing with Rusty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah i think they were pretty clear malcolm is jonas’ son.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, nothing is clear on this show until it's explicitly stated, mostly because they haven't figured it out yet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Or Malcolm is a clone as well which would explain when he doesn't remember playing with Rusty.

I mean, anything's possible in this show, but it doesn't track for me personally. I mean, who the hell remembers which kids they played with when they could barely form memories unless they were close friends for years?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Rusty did an aged up clone later when that kid got mauled by a gorilla.

That kid ended up, uh, kinda not done. And needs to be potty trained again, according to Doc. Also he looked all melty and barely had a face.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

fishmech posted:

It just feels like the "proper" nature of cloning and Rusty is that Jonas kept trying to make a successful cloning system so that he could have a backup Rsty in case anything happened, but he couldn't nail it and Rusty ended up not dying anyway.

Also, given how Jonas tended to think, he might have insisted on a forced-growth thing so that he could whip up a fresh Rusty from nothing to as old as Rusty was which wouldn't work. We see that Rusty's own solution involved preparing a vast stockpile of clones at the same time, possibly only starting once the boys were already toddlers, and so they'd be more or less correctly aged when needed.

So maybe the whole key to successful cloning work was to have the level of patience Jonas would never put up with? Not even necessarily that Rusty was himself patient about it, but rather that he was willing to walk away and do something else for a while with the experiment going, and hey he comes back and the clones seem to be developing fine!

Cloning was an improvement on the PROBLEM system. Fresh Jonas every time he gets badly hurt rather than waiting for the PROBLEM to run. Movie Night would have only been a minor setback with clones.

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.

Unmature posted:

Hey we interviewed James Urbaniak and he’s a really cool nice guy https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-deep-end/id1445635911?mt=2&i=1000430717140

Finally listened to this episode-- great interview!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

fishmech posted:

That kid ended up, uh, kinda not done. And needs to be potty trained again, according to Doc. Also he looked all melty and barely had a face.

he didn’t have the learning bed to get his memories from.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TK-42-1 posted:

he didn’t have the learning bed to get his memories from.

A fresh start! Really, Rusty was doing him a favor!

I could probably sell clones like a shady used car salesman.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

but then lost interest when the whole thing didn't turn out as he wanted.

Given that exactly this happened with Venturion...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fishmech posted:

Don't have to worry about all that cancer, though!

Sash! posted:

Given that exactly this happened with Venturion...

It's a running theme sometimes outright stated that Jonas would have big ideas and lose interest at the first setback or when something else shiny came along, and as a result the Venture Compound is littered with the (often human) detritus of science run amok. Rusty seems to be more likely to finish his projects if he doesn't have any major setbacks, if only because he has nothing else better to do. (the teleporter in the last season is a perfected version of something he's been working on for years and all)

I do wonder how much of that was Jonas' bodyguards deliberately sabotaging his projects so none of them would shake up that pesky status quo, there'd be an irony there. Or maybe they never needed to because Jonas would never concentrate on anything long enough to make a real difference, or just kept all the best inventions as his personal toys.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

sanko posted:

Finally listened to this episode-- great interview!

Thank you! If you want more, James also appeared on the talk show I produce Mitch Live: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/365646090

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Unmature posted:

Thank you! If you want more, James also appeared on the talk show I produce Mitch Live: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/365646090

Are you Bugmane?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cloks posted:

Are you Bugmane?

Buzz buzz

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Did someone already post this?

If not... Venture Bros. Season 7 Blu-ray release date is June 4th.

I love the cover artwork.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn, the covers just keep getting better. Though nothing can beat the interior art on the Season 3 DVDs with the live-action Venture clan playing Atari.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn, the covers just keep getting better. Though nothing can beat the interior art on the Season 3 DVDs with the live-action Venture clan playing Atari.

I love the covers on the Season 3 packaging. I also like the artwork inside Season 1's packaging, which I don't think gets enough love.

The only one that gets a "meh" from me is the Season 4 DVD packaging. (Not sure if the Blu-ray is better because I only bought it on DVD.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is there a way to get access to the commentaries digitally? I'd love to hear them but I'm not buying video on physical media in 2019.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Oh hell yes, I've been jonesing for some more background on the last season. :toot:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I love the covers on the Season 3 packaging. I also like the artwork inside Season 1's packaging, which I don't think gets enough love.

The only one that gets a "meh" from me is the Season 4 DVD packaging. (Not sure if the Blu-ray is better because I only bought it on DVD.)

The season 3 cover is great, too, but feels like it could've used just a touch of restraint with the Atari-ness; it feels more like a reference and less like its own thing.

I thought the Season 4's was hilarious—I don't know about on DVD, but on the Blu there's a slipcover which is the speedsuit wrapping around the front/back, then when you pull it off it's Venture's dweeby chest and nipples beneath the suit. You open the case up and it's his whole chest. Then the second volume is the same thing but bloody.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is there a way to get access to the commentaries digitally? I'd love to hear them but I'm not buying video on physical media in 2019.

Seconding this. I'm guessing the answer is probably not OR because it's Adult Swim we can download the audio track RiffTrax style.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Did someone already post this?

If not... Venture Bros. Season 7 Blu-ray release date is June 4th.

I love the cover artwork.

Hell yeah. Every show that comes out now I have to worry if I'll ever be able to own it (or the whole series) on bluray. I still have some shows I have on DVD, but now I'm spoiled by HD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blu-ray releases for TV are getting rarer and rarer, many are only releasing DVD, so I'm thankful that they are still doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sadly I don't ever recall the audio commentaries being available digitally.