Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, people get their stuff eventually. I really hate the mandatory login poo poo so I just bounce off it every time someone posts a link to their site unless I'm super interested. Never actually bought anything myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I’ve bought a couple knives from them. Never had any issues.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have a particular fillet knife they like for fish? I'm looking to getting back into fishing again and while I have my cheapo cabelas flexible fillet knife in my tackle box from ages ago, I'm wondering if there's a better option or a particular knife y'all like.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I do a good amount of fishing and filleting and my go to is the wusthof boning knife that came in the block. Sometimes I just use a chefs knife. Check out the AT fishing thread!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've been trolling amazon for a good pair of kitchen shears and it looks like most of them are crap that rusts the first time you use it. Even the wusthof and henckles ones seem to be cheap crap. Any suggestions?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

I've been trolling amazon for a good pair of kitchen shears and it looks like most of them are crap that rusts the first time you use it. Even the wusthof and henckles ones seem to be cheap crap. Any suggestions?

I like the oxos a ton.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I got a pair of the Wusthof shears about 14 years ago that have stood the test of time so far. They get regular use and hand washing and I done find it necessary to sharpen them constantly. They were a gift and came in a set so they were a great price for me.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Do you have a model for the wusthofs? I really like their stuff.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
They’re model Wusthof 5558. I believe they came with a Classic line paring knife.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

glynnenstein posted:

I like the oxos a ton.

seconding this, and they're a better value besides

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

glynnenstein posted:

I like the oxos a ton.

The chicken shears or regular kitchen shears?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Have a pair of messermeister ones and like them well enough, come completely apart etc. Looks pretty similar to the oxo which are hard to go wrong with

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

wormil posted:

The chicken shears or regular kitchen shears?

The multi-purpose ones are what I have and they work great at breaking down chicken anyway, imo.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
What retail outlets do you all go to in order try out knives? Local big box stores (Macys, BBB) don't seem to have much selection, particularly the tweener price range I'm looking at ($40-100 for a chef/santoku). I have no problem buying online but I want to see what feels good in my hand before purchasing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

thiazi posted:

What retail outlets do you all go to in order try out knives? Local big box stores (Macys, BBB) don't seem to have much selection, particularly the tweener price range I'm looking at ($40-100 for a chef/santoku). I have no problem buying online but I want to see what feels good in my hand before purchasing.

Case santoku has become my favorite knife because of the perfect balance, comfortable handle, and thin blade. But to answer the question, I never try out knives first.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

thiazi posted:

sur le table has a decent display selection to try out generally

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you want a great heavyass pair of serrated shears that will last forever, check a hardware store. I got mine in the bargain bin at Tractor Supply Co for $5, there's a fuckin bottle opener on them and one of those hooked blades for gutting fish, and they cut out chicken backs just fine

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 15, 2019

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What was this type of knife called again? The things people throw away when they move out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

broken? seems to be missing the tip

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's supposed to be like that, for whatever reason.

It's similar to a honesuki but the blunt tip is just some stupid "look we're so unique" thing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I fell down the youtube hole today and ended up watching a bunch of videos on knife-making. I noticed the knives being made were really thick compared to the ones I own and wondered if the guys hand crafting them made them thicker because it cut better or if it was just easier to make a thicker knife? I assume most commercial knives are rolled and stamped out or something which might be more conducive to making thinner blades.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I know that whenever I've used thick kitchen knives, they feel really heavy, unwieldy and imprecise compared to thinner factory knives. But those were probably thick factory knives so I don't really know.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For kitchen, thinner is better IMO.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Some knives, especially some higher end Japanese knives, will have a thicker spine but still a relatively thin edge. One upside to this is that it can still move through ingredients almost as easily as a thinner knife but it's still stiff enough and has enough weight to tackle harder things like winter squash. Another factor to consider is that knives with thin spines can become painful to use for longer periods of time since the pressure from cutting is concentrated in a very small area. A thicker spine helps to spread that pressure out and alleviate the discomfort.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My favorite kitchen knife is a Chinese cleaver which easily has the thickest spine in all my knives (about 6 or 7mm, I think? I haven't bothered measuring) but the whole blade tapers down to about 1mm before the edge starts. I like the thick spine, honestly. It adds weight (but not too much) and seems to do a better job separating things when I'm julienning some veg than my other kitchen knife - how much of that is down to the smoothness of the metal/sharpness of the blade vs the thickness of the spine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was gifted a couple of hand made knives a few years ago and while they're absolutely beautiful, they have quite thick blades and I basically never use them except for tasks that don't require much dexterity and where the extra weight helps (ie. quartering potatoes or yams before boiling them, or hacking through a gourd). They're sharp as hell, but the thickness of the blade makes slicing and mincing a pain in the butt.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

How much force am I supposed to use with a meat cleaver?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm looking to add a new knife to my collection!

My favorite all-purpose knife is my Takamura Migaki 210mm R2 Gyuto that was kindly recommended to me by a cool goon years ago: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

It's incredible, but as a laser it's not really amazing for tough jobs, more of a finesse item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWevlDtAHhc

My other favorite knife - mostly because I'm left handed and the Premiere handle is really loving good for lefties - is the premiere santoku. This is ideal for the tasks that the Takamura can't handle.

And then I have a basic cleaver for chopping bones etc. as well as several other chefs knives for when friends come over to cook etc.

Anyways does anyone have a recommendation for a chefs knife/gyuto in the 9-10 inch range? Looking to spend no more than say $400, but I am interested in an heirloom type knife and wouldn't necessarily say no to something more expensive if it was worth it.

Thoughts?

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 31, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

7" Santoku knife with honing rod down to $15 with code - any good? Free shipping.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Never heard of the brand. But really the quality of even cheap steels these days is leagues better than 20-30 years ago so as long as it isn't radioactive, you probably won't regret it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok so clearly no one reads this thread but just to connect the dots on my previous post, I did end up getting a knife. This Kramer by Zwilling carbon steel 8 inch chefs.

The knife is $300 retail, and I wanted the 10 inch for $350 initially, but I found an Amazon Warehouse (used and returned) version of the 8 inch for $200. It said the knife had "minor cosmetic imperfections and will come repackaged". But I rolled the dice because often the Warehouse items are very stupidly labeled.

And I was successful! The knife was NOT repackaged, it came in its original packaging, and was clearly never used. It is also loving perfect, the only imperfection I can find is that one of the pins is barely, almost imperceptibly, sticking out of its recess.

It's not something you would ever in a million years notice unless you were frantically looking for something to hate about it. I assume the original buyer just got buyers remorse over spending $300 on a knife and sent it back, which put it in the Warehouse program even though it was perfect.

Anyways this knife is outrageously well finished and I love it. You really only need three knives:

- Japanese laser
- this beefy rear end Kramer Zwilling carbon steel
- paring knife

And you are fuckin' good. So happy right now. Getting this beautiful knife for $200 is an absolute steal. Thank god for stupid warehouse employees who take $100 off the top of a returned knife with no issues whatsoever!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cool, op

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Yesterday I was getting some portions of salmon ready and I had a lot of trouble getting through the skin with my kitchen knife. I ended up using my knife to cut through the flesh and then used a pair of kitchen sheers to get through the skin. Is this a sign of my knife being crazy dull? I don't have much trouble with vegies and the flesh had clean edges.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How is it against dry wall?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, when was the last time you sharpened it? And not just a honing rod.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Internet Explorer posted:

About 2 months ago

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

At the start of this week with this thing: https://chefschoice.com/products/chefschoice%C2%AE-hybrid%C2%AE-diamond-hone%C2%AE-knife-sharpener-model-220

Part of my problem is I don't know if "kinda sharp but not sharp enough to easily get through salmon skin" is about as sharp as I should expect from this or if I somehow used the thing wrong or if there's some other issue in play.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You could get a better edge with the cheapest water stones you find on amazon. It just takes a few minutes (and lots of practice) instead of 30 seconds.

So basically your knife was still dull.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as folks here, but I will say that I have also found salmon skin one of the tougher things to get through. It sounds like your knife may not have been dull dull, but could be sharper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cut the salmon from the skin side first, it's easier to get through if it has intact meat behind it (at least this is what I do!)

But yeah, get a whetstone and holder, watch a couple videos on YouTube about how to sharpen your own knives and go from there. From what I've read, the sort of auto-sharpener you linked can do a good job, but they can also grind off way more of the blade than you need to, and used improperly they'll shorten the life of your knives and/or result in duller blades.

Whetstones are great. :)