Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Gnoman posted:

Big chunks of RE3 were set in the police station from RE2. Literally the same backgrounds with a few small changes. Most of the enemy models were reused as well - Jill got hunters instead of lickers, but I think all the zombies were reused. Plus a lot of the item models.

:lol: it's been nearly 20 years since I watched my brother play through RE3, but I had blocked the flipped assets out of my mind entirely, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RE3 is very odd as a mainline game as there's virtually no backtracking, you just constantly move forward like you're playing RE5 or something

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

il serpente cosmico posted:

On another note, which old RE game would ya'll like to see get the RE2 Remake treatment the most?

Would Code Veronica be a good candidate?

I honestly think RE1 would work really well with the RE2 remake treatment, and I wouldn't mind if Capcom decided to revisit it.

RE3 with the new approach combined with more expansive environments and some improvements on the stuff most people agree was dragging it down. I'm not a huge fan of the Mr. X/Nemesis thing though where the huge tank monster chases you constantly and prefer a slower and more deliberate approach and that was a big part of RE3 so I dunno .

I know CV gets a lot of flack here but I remember enjoying it a lot. Maybe because I had a Dreamcast and there weren't a ton of great games.

Totally with you on RE1 but I doubt Capcom would do it. The biggest improvement they've made to these games is the over the shoulder camera and, while I gave REmake a shot, I just couldn't go back to the tank controls. So for me any the answer is "any game that has fixed cameras". But that aside and now that there's a renewed enthusiasm for the series in the wake of this game and RE7...

I'd like to get see them focus on RE8 and borrow elements from EW2. loving around in a city, a gated community, an outdoor shopping mall or something would be dope. I like the idea of a gated community most I think. Golf clubhouse, HOA building, Mc Mansions...zombie golfers swinging 9 irons at you with weird monsters and poo poo loose on the course and dogs in suburban back yards. Zombie swimmers near the pool and zombie soccer moms on the playground.

Yeesh, that was long

TL/DR: Resident Evil 8

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCVXncLK9A

everyone needs to stop doing whatever it is they are doing and watch this

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 14, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lunethex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCVXncLK9A

everyone needs to stop doing whatever it is they are doing RE and watch this

idgi

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did RE3 use a lot of RE2's assets? A huge portion of the work for those games would have been the pre-rendered background and FMV sequences, and they couldn't have re-used assets for either. Though UI elements, sounds, and enemy models / textures definitely could have been re-used. It's a lot hard to asset-flip games with pre-rendered backgrounds unless you are blatant and shameless about reusing the backgrounds.

You are describing Mr. X perfectly :haw:

I wouldn't mind an RE3 remake if Capcom really blew it out and went nuts with it. A pseudo-open world Raccoon City with minor survival elements could be good. As another poster said, there's very little they need to worry about lore-wise, so they could go hog-wild with it. Jill needs to get infected and vaccinated, but that's the only major plot point that I can recall being necessary for the larger story. They could even make managing the virus part of it to increase tension. Getting hounded by Nemesis while desperately hunting for herbs or meds to keep the virus from killing you could make for some interesting emergent scenarios.

If it's just a linear romp through the burning alleyways or Raccoon City with Mr. X 2.0, it'd be much less interesting.

X 2.0 was basically what I was getting at. Nemesis is faster and meaner so getting spotted by him should mean more than running through a few rooms, much like how OG Nemesis being able to chase the player through doors was such a massive escalation in :danger from X in original RE2.

Since you’re dealing with a city I could also see that expanding to other enemies as well because you’re dealing with just so many zombies. Make too much noise, mostly gunshots, and Nemesis and more other monsters may not attack right away but maybe next time you go through that area it’s busier.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

RE3 with the new approach combined with more expansive environments and some improvements on the stuff most people agree was dragging it down. I'm not a huge fan of the Mr. X/Nemesis thing though where the huge tank monster chases you constantly and prefer a slower and more deliberate approach and that was a big part of RE3 so I dunno .

I think Mr. X works so well because he is in the game for a relatively short amount of time. He's introduced and then removed at perfect times. He shows up right when you think you've mastered the police station by having unlocked nearly all of it, or acquired the necessary tools to do so. You've also internalized the enemy locations or killed most of them, and you've accumulated some nice weapons. Then X starts coming after you, new enemies show up, and the power fantasy is popped. You are a fumbling disaster as you try to get your bearings and finish the last couple puzzles and crack the final safes and lockers. He's then removed from the mix once you actually have mastered the police station and are ready to move on to the next main area.

Building an entire game around the concept can definitely fatigue the player, though. The most common complaint you hear about Alien: Isolation is that it's too long. Players will either become too stressed out and stop playing, or they'll become numb to the intensity and the magic wears off as you take death after death without any real consequences.

A pinch of Nemesis is all you need.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah I’ve heard people salivate about Nemesis 2 being able to follow you everywhere and launch homing rockets and shoot tentacles through time that delete your save file and it sounds really unfun to me. Less is more

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the devs have earned our trust to rework just about anything at this point. Re: Nemesis reworking, I think the key would be to lean in hard on things that could simulate improved AI, rather than genuinely improved difficulty. A lot would depend on how other RE3 systems or elements would be changed.

Maybe if Nemesis doesn't follow you a lot of the time, and instead lies in wait, or tries to block paths forward?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 14, 2019

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

I think Mr. X works so well because he is in the game for a relatively short amount of time. He's introduced and then removed at perfect times. He shows up right when you think you've mastered the police station by having unlocked nearly all of it, or acquired the necessary tools to do so. You've also internalized the enemy locations or killed most of them, and you've accumulated some nice weapons. Then X starts coming after you, new enemies show up, and the power fantasy is popped. You are a fumbling disaster as you try to get your bearings and finish the last couple puzzles and crack the final safes and lockers. He's then removed from the mix once you actually have mastered the police station and are ready to move on to the next main area.

Building an entire game around the concept can definitely fatigue the player, though. The most common complaint you hear about Alien: Isolation is that it's too long. Players will either become too stressed out and stop playing, or they'll become numb to the intensity and the magic wears off as you take death after death without any real consequences.

A pinch of Nemesis is all you need.

Even the original Re3 realized this. You have to shake Nemesis, what, 6 times, plus a trio of arena fights? RPD x2, After meeting Carlos, While backtracking for the trolly, While going to the trolly with everything you need, After the Carlos section. The vbast majority of your time is spent dealing with non-Nemesis things.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Gnoman posted:

Big chunks of RE3 were set in the police station from RE2. Literally the same backgrounds with a few small changes. Most of the enemy models were reused as well - Jill got hunters instead of lickers, but I think all the zombies were reused. Plus a lot of the item models.

Nobody actually remembers poo poo about Resident Evil 3.

They reused like eight rooms you blast through in fifteen minutes of the six hour game. The only enemy models they reused were the animals (spider, crows, dogs.) All the zombies were redone (mostly for the worse but still.) Other than some items, sound effects and animations, there's very little that is actually copy and pasted from Resident Evil 2 to 3. People make it out like a Unity asset flip game. Those people are dumb.

On the other hand, people also make out Nemesis to be this omnipresent threat randomly chasing you the the whole game when that stops completely like a third of the way through the game and is gone completely until lovely boss fight for like the last third of the game.

I hope they do go on to do Code Veronica eventually because that game was bad when it was new and has only gotten worse with age.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Nohman posted:

On the other hand, people also make out Nemesis to be this omnipresent threat randomly chasing you the the whole game when that stops completely like a third of the way through the game and is gone completely until lovely boss fight for like the last third of the game.

I blame this on the marketing around the game, as well as games media of the time parroting the promotional material without looking much deeper. If all you have to go by is what you read on the box or in EGM, and you only play through the game once, then Nemesis does end up feeling like an omnipresent threat, rather than what it actually is: A series of set-pieces.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I hear much hollering around the internet about "half the work is done" regarding a remake of RE3, but really, is it? One shared environment. ONE. Not only that, but it's cut down to a handful of loving rooms. Barely any of the RPD was re-used in RE3. Not even close to "half the work".

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Currently have Claire A Hardcore save before G2 at 1:23

I think thats a decent time for now. The sewers was hell with all the G adults. Hopefully i have enough resources for upcoming fights

You should be fine, that's a good time to finish labs with, assuming you're going for S+

What weapons do you have going into G2? There's a neat way to kill him with only 3 shots of Spark, 3 shots of the magnum, 1 flashbang, and some knife swipes to 1 phase him. I can link a video if you're interested.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I hear much hollering around the internet about "half the work is done" regarding a remake of RE3, but really, is it? One shared environment. ONE. Not only that, but it's cut down to a handful of loving rooms. Barely any of the RPD was re-used in RE3. Not even close to "half the work".

On the tech end, the engine is in a really good place, and the UI could also largely be re-used (though they may make changes depending on what kind of new systems they may add). Aside from that, they could reuse a good amount of textures, models, and animations. They'd still need to create a ton of assets for it, but they could still reuse a good amount of the assets and otherwise from RE2 Remake.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Abhorrence posted:

Even the original Re3 realized this. You have to shake Nemesis, what, 6 times, plus a trio of arena fights? RPD x2, After meeting Carlos, While backtracking for the trolly, While going to the trolly with everything you need, After the Carlos section. The vbast majority of your time is spent dealing with non-Nemesis things.

I'd argue that the player deals with Nemesis less than they do with Mr. X in REmake2.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

If you guys want to see some genuine recycling, go back to Umbrella Chronicles. They reused all the models and environments from RE0 and RE1, and then cut up a bunch of Outbreak 2 for their retelling of RE2/RE3. Only around a 1/4th of the chapters was all new stuff.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

On the tech end, the engine is in a really good place, and the UI could also largely be re-used (though they may make changes depending on what kind of new systems they may add). Aside from that, they could reuse a good amount of textures, models, and animations. They'd still need to create a ton of assets for it, but they could still reuse a good amount of the assets and otherwise from RE2 Remake.

Engine-wise I'll agree things are certainly in a good place, but with all the level (re)design, item/enemy placement and tweaking, environment/monster modelling, texturing (costuming too!), mocap, VA, music, sounds, testing... saying we're "half" done is ridiculous, and almost laughably optimistic. I just get the impression that a lot of players see "RPD", put 2 + 2 together to somehow make 5 and "remember" that RE3 was another great adventure through the whole police station followed by a few short scuffles though ten other random non-RPD rooms, when it was really the other way around with the RPD featuring as nothing more than a ten-minute jog through some familiar ground during a four/five-hour marathon across a city's worth of completely new locales.

I want RE3 Remake as much as the next guy and believe Capcom are well on top of getting it done after RE2's reception/sales, but I'm not going to pretend it's only a year away or anything like that. Late 2020 at best.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you guys want to see some genuine recycling, go back to Umbrella Chronicles. They reused all the models and environments from RE0 and RE1, and then cut up a bunch of Outbreak 2 for their retelling of RE2/RE3. Only around a 1/4th of the chapters was all new stuff.

Given the nature of Umbrella Chronicles that can be forgiven though. RE Survivor on the other hand has hardly any new models or sound effects, and everything that is new (locations, voice work!) is ugly horrible poo poo. I give CV a hard time for recycling RE2 '98 zombie vocals and having gun sound effects that make GTA San Andreas sound like the shootout from HEAT but holy poo poo at least it wasn't Survivor.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 14, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nohman posted:

I hope they do go on to do Code Veronica eventually because that game was bad when it was new and has only gotten worse with age.

You take that back. :(

I really like it still.....

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

CV is/was a troubled game. The fact that it had a base release then CV:X came out of nowhere with a bunch of new poo poo doesn't help.

It could really stand to be tightened up and streamlined with less tedious loving backtracking.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
CV was probably the game in the series with the most behind-the-scenes fuckery involved with its development until RE6 came along. IIRC, it jumped platforms twice, changed protagonists once, Steve was supposed to be Leon, went from an early version that was pretty much RE2.5 to an early Dreamcast launch...

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Engine-wise I'll agree things are certainly in a good place, but with all the level (re)design, item/enemy placement and tweaking, environment/monster modelling, texturing (costuming too!), mocap, VA, music, sounds, testing... saying we're "half" done is ridiculous, and almost laughably optimistic.

I want RE3 Remake as much as the next guy and believe Capcom are well on top of getting it done after RE2's reception/sales, but I'm not going to pretend it's only a year away or anything like that. Late 2020 at best.

Oh I agree, there's no way Capcom is halfway there. I think they have a running start and could probably put out a remake of 3 relatively quickly if they limit its scope. I thought 3 felt underwhelming in 99, so I would hope they would do a robust rethinking.

Capcom is knocking it out of the park lately, so I can't wait to see the next RE, whether it's a remake or a new game.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 14, 2019

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Those RE2 98 zombie moans are great though

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm on my B scenario as Claire and I need to get the King and Queen pieces. Problem is, I suck at dodging the sewer monsters. I currently have 15 magnum rounds and 400 smg rounds. Is that good to kill everything in that stupid waterway?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Had the worst luck with a friend on the Uroboros Mkono boss in RE5. Apparently there's a glitch that makes it invincible and we had that happen twice in a row. Third time we just got the rocket launcher and one-shot it. This PS4 port is buggier than the original release by miles.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Thisuck posted:

You should be fine, that's a good time to finish labs with, assuming you're going for S+

What weapons do you have going into G2? There's a neat way to kill him with only 3 shots of Spark, 3 shots of the magnum, 1 flashbang, and some knife swipes to 1 phase him. I can link a video if you're interested.

Please do. I should have enough ammo for this.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm on my B scenario as Claire and I need to get the King and Queen pieces. Problem is, I suck at dodging the sewer monsters. I currently have 15 magnum rounds and 400 smg rounds. Is that good to kill everything in that stupid waterway?

The first one is hard to avoid, feel free to kill it.

The rest should not be that hard to dodge.

Going back, you can use spark shot to either 1 hit KO them in the eye or simply stun them for several seconds and run past them.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 14, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

WaltherFeng posted:

The first one is hard to avoid, feel free to kill it.

The rest should not be that hard to dodge.

Going back, you can use spark shot to either 1 hit KO them in the eye or simply stun them for several seconds and run past them.

Oh ok, sounds good. What should I be saving the spark shot for? In my Leon run I saved all of my flamethrower fuel for the plant zombies and I've been hoarding my flame rounds in this run for them

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh ok, sounds good. What should I be saving the spark shot for? In my Leon run I saved all of my flamethrower fuel for the plant zombies and I've been hoarding my flame rounds in this run for them

Basically just for bosses or if you run out of other ammo. Otherwise it's most useful immediately after you get it imo

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

Please do. I should have enough ammo for this.

Here ya go, timestamped at the fight.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/387448198?t=37m30s

Written strats, spoilered just in case:
1. Stand by the door when he comes in, angle the magnum to the back eye and hit it once, then immediately get behind him and hit the eye with a full charged spark shot while moving backwards.
2. While moving backwards, bait out the over head smash from him, then another full spark shot into the arm eye.
3. Bolt to the container and hit that button, then immediately grab the flash and knife, you should have the flash as your current throwable at this point
4. I miss a shot there, but all you need is 2 shots into the arm eye, then immediately throw the flash bang, he should still be in position to take the container. Make sure you're also making your way around him as well while you throw the flash bang.
5. While he's blinded, you need to get a full charged spark shot on the back eye preferably, side works too but you want to lure him away from the safe area. You gotta do this quick though, if you're slow with it, he'll hit you before you can finish the charge. As soon as the shot goes off, he'll be staggered.
6. Run to the controller and hit the other button to bring it back
7. Knife his rear end at least 6 times, you can keep knifing him until you feel unsafe from the returning container
8. He should be low enough hp to get knocked off in 1 phase.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nice, thats really good. If I can replicate this it should be smooth sailing till G3. Ill try it later this night

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
RE plot fanfic now up to 6500 words. Almost all General backstory, RE0 and RE1 done.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I noticed a couple of weird parallels between Leon and Claire's sewer sections of the game. The reason I say word is because they'd probably work better if they were in the same story:

- Leon meets Kendo and his daughter, with her t-virus infection represented by discolouration of her eye. In Claire's story, Sherry has a discoloured eye after being implanted by G. It's obvious what it means, but if Claire had encountered Kendo instead it would heighten the stakes

- Claire sees the G-Young as it comes out of Irons, but it's Leon who has an encounter with the G-Adult before reaching the sewer control room, in a place where you have lots of time to observe it (this area is empty for Claire the first time she visits). Claire's first G-Adult encounter most likely won't come until she reaches the hall of organs, where you don't really have the time to observe the creatures (although they do give a reminder of a G-Young bursting out of someone)

In both cases it feels like one character gets the set-up, but the other gets the outcome. I realise they had to give both characters things to do, and I do like how between the alligator and G-Adults Leon's sewer section is an unexplained descent into hell, but it feels like some of the themes have been haphazardly strewn across both stories.

Oh and there's a big cuddly alligator in the lobby of the orphanage :3:

e: I guess a lot of this stuff happens before the sewers but it's quicker than saying "post-RPD, pre-labs"

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 14, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Playing this for the first time, as Leon. When Mr X finally appears and starts stomping towards Leon, Leon says: "Jesus CHRIST!" and that has entertained me for the last half hour. I can't stop laughing. I love all of his exclamations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Abhorrence posted:

And it gives you insta-kill cutscene choices for at least half of those, at that. Nemesis is memorable, but not exactly a particularly large part of the gameplay.

quote:

I'd argue that the player deals with Nemesis less than they do with Mr. X in REmake2.
I'd say you deal with Nemesis less than with even the Mr. X from the original, even considering that he only shows up in the B route at all. There are nine possible Mr. X encounters in RE2 versus twelve for the Nemesis in RE3, but you get the option to ignore all but five of them completely. They're optional content to the point where skipping them even gives you the Hard Mode rewards for the encounter - if you do so, the game basically treats it as if you had fought and defeated Nemesis there instead of fleeing. In practical terms, he's really barely even there at all.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

I agree with this I think alot of people just remember the streets and RPD. There was also a mansion at the end, they would have to sort a dodge mechanic without turning it into loving RE6.

I think Nemesis could be improved much like they did with Mr X. The only thing I can't see them doing is balancing his rocket launchers.

Also I would pay for a mercenaries mode dlc :v:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Woops double post screw the interweb gods

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah I've seen this argument quite a lot and never understood it. It's a tiny part of the overall game. It's like saying Doom 2 is mostly Wolfenstein or something.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

redreader posted:

Playing this for the first time, as Leon. When Mr X finally appears and starts stomping towards Leon, Leon says: "Jesus CHRIST!" and that has entertained me for the last half hour. I can't stop laughing. I love all of his exclamations.

My favorite is still "Ohhh BOY!" when a big zombie stumbles towards him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I love that even at the very end of the game he sometimes yells "what the-" when a downed zombie reanimates.