Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrFlibble posted:

Yeah, I was on the fence about getting the saga editions (since I already own the individual volumes) but I have no problem shelling out for all new coloured books. Especially if they're IDW hardcovers, the TMNT ones are fantastic.

Oh. My. God.

I didn't even think of the possibility of IDW quality hardcovers. IDW makes the best hardcovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This might be a hot take but I think Usagi deserves a lot of the credit Cerebus got for being a long running creator owned series but doesn't really.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It deserves far more credit. Also the creator of one is a raging lunatic and the creator of the other is one of the kindest people on the planet by all accounts.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

It deserves far more credit. Also the creator of one is a raging lunatic and the creator of the other is one of the kindest people on the planet by all accounts.

Usagi Yojimbo gets plenty of credit. If you look into all the comics professionals who have praised it, see how many times it gets nominated for awards, how often it is mentioned - you'll see that it is a highly regarded series.

Note that I am not disagreeing with you here. It does deserve far more credit.

Speaking of comparing it to cerebus - it's got to be close to beating Cerbus's record for long run on a comic book series right? Usagi may have been published by 3(soon to be 4) companies but its owned by Sakai and all a single continuity.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Has IDW already republished the TMNT crossovers with both? As much as Usagi Yojimbo is its own thing, and it very much is, IDW snatching up publishing rights to "Leonardo's rabbit friend" seems like a no-brainer.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Inkspot posted:

Has IDW already republished the TMNT crossovers with both? As much as Usagi Yojimbo is its own thing, and it very much is, IDW snatching up publishing rights to "Leonardo's rabbit friend" seems like a no-brainer.

There is a collection of all the crossover stories but its a joint release with Dark Horse, its called Usagi Yojimbo / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the complete collection.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kinda feel like Usagi is one of those things where the industry LOVES it disproportionately to fans.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I kinda feel like Usagi is one of those things where the industry LOVES it disproportionately to fans.

I kinda think that anthromorphic animals may have been offputting, particularly during the aughts. Even if Stan Sakai was quietly killing it during that time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Endless Mike posted:

Oh man... Does this mean I'm in the industry now? Haha suck it losers I'm never posting here again

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

Oh man... Does this mean I'm in the industry now? Haha suck it losers I'm never posting here again

To be fair Usagis readership is like 5,000 stable readers* or so - not exactly setting the world on fire.

*Its probably way higher than that because it doesn't include people like me who don't pick up the monthly and wait until the collected book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Horse has lost Usagi Yojimbo to IDW.
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1099015016777342977

edit: Why are all the comments bugging them about a TV show?

At this point, what does Dark Horse have left? Hellboy and a bunch of new stuff?

Presuming they lose the Alien/Predator license also with Disney buying Fox, that is . It's weird to think back to ten years ago when Dark Horse was pretty much the licensed comic publisher (and did pretty good work with them too). I know at least in the 00s, Star Wars and Buffy were their two highest-sellers. They must be hurting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chairman Capone posted:

At this point, what does Dark Horse have left? Hellboy and a bunch of new stuff?

Presuming they lose the Alien/Predator license also with Disney buying Fox, that is . It's weird to think back to ten years ago when Dark Horse was pretty much the licensed comic publisher (and did pretty good work with them too). I know at least in the 00s, Star Wars and Buffy were their two highest-sellers. They must be hurting.

Dark Horse have some Disney licenses already, so there's no saying they will lose all the Fox stuff in the merger. Right now, though, they're issuing maybe ten books a week - mostly video game or movie licenses and almost all miniseries. They could quite easily lose 60% of their sales throughput in one quarter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They could probably survive off manga. They've got Berserk which is fairly big.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They’ve got Black Hammer and a bunch of cool indie stuff but its like with image, it’s just indie stuff that stays there for a while, nothing to really do with the publisher.

And that’s ok.

I think I’m in for the Usagi reprints. I love it and own very little physically.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And Dark Horse does have the new Karen Berger imprint, too. I read the first issues of LaGuardia by Nnedi Okorafor and am enjoying it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat, issue two of Gillen's Peter Cannon was pretty freakin' wild.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fukken Wodin

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

X-O posted:

drat, issue two of Gillen's Peter Cannon was pretty freakin' wild.

You weren't kidding about this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s great how consistently bad Wodin has been at literally everything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/eoinmarron/status/1101173940527992832?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

frameset posted:

You weren't kidding about this.

Never thought I’d see a group of heroes use a a hand drawn panel grid on the ground to travel between universes before.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tabu even writes the words into the ground

I was not prepared lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
today's DIE alllllmost got into ash being closet trans, but didn't quite get there lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Giant Days #48 was great and even managed to zig where I was afraid Allison was going to zag. It definitely seemed like the big hook going in was going to be Daisy developing romantic feelings for Esther, but it turning out to all be set up for a 2 page gag where Daisy's all deer-in-headlights at sharing a bed with Esther in a skimpy nightie and then it turns out that Esther's an awful bedmate, rolling and flailing, farting and yelling, was fantastic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mark Russel (Prez, The Flintstones) 's cancelled Vertigo comic Second Coming is now coming out through Ahoy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/arts/second-coming-jesus-comic-book.html

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Well this is unexpected.

Lemire is staying busy in 2019, as per usual!

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1105857327561728000

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Well this is unexpected.

Lemire is staying busy in 2019, as per usual!

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1105857327561728000

I'm intrigued.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I read through Wicked + The Divine, when should I read the one shots?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fadam posted:

If I read through Wicked + The Divine, when should I read the one shots?

If you get the trade (volume 8) it tells you. They put them in the collection chronologically, but also tell you what issues they came out in between. It suggested the chronological order. Someone might be able to post that blurb in the opening.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Neat, thanks!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Did anyone one else get snookered in by IDW's Go-Bots miniseries by Tom Scioli? Just me? Okay cool.

It's the only thing I really regret purchasing since my foray back into comics, but I'm 4/5ths of the way there dammit might as well finish it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IUG posted:

If you get the trade (volume 8) it tells you. They put them in the collection chronologically, but also tell you what issues they came out in between. It suggested the chronological order. Someone might be able to post that blurb in the opening.

Read X after Y

1873AD: #22
455AD: #28
1923AD, Christmas Annual: #33
1373AD: #39
The Funnies: Hell freezes over

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

Did anyone one else get snookered in by IDW's Go-Bots miniseries by Tom Scioli? Just me? Okay cool.

It's the only thing I really regret purchasing since my foray back into comics, but I'm 4/5ths of the way there dammit might as well finish it.

Yeah it rules

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah it rules

I ain't digging it personally. It has that bad fanfiction feel of a kid trying to write a "mature" story. Kind of like all those dumb internet fan theories about how your favorite childhood cartoon is secretly a dystopian nightmare because X. I guess I expected too much from it. Go-Bots canon isn't set in stone the way Transformers is so you can do anything you want without fans screaming bloody murder, but was it really necessary to go all in on dark and edgy?

Oh well, at least I can't quite predict how its gonna end, last issue is this month right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
BSS as a whole seems to 'ironically' love Scioli's work on those books and I don't get it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its an unironic love. Why the hell would you say its ironic? I just love it for what it is.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Another gripe I have with Go-Bots is that it seem like he's trying to cram too much story into five issues, even with a time skip. Maybe goons just have fond memories of something else he wrote, like G.I. Joe vs. Transformers? At least I'm not totally alone in not getting it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There’s nothing ironic about my love of Scioli.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's the only way it makes sense to me. Take away the licensed characters and you've got every crappy self-published book that burns out after 2 issues in the 'indie' section of comixology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone else pick up Little Bird last week? It's basically BKV's "We Stand On Guard" but with more of an indigenous bent and a greater focus on religion. I dig Bertram's art so I'll probably stick around for the mini.

Assassin Nation was pretty fun too.