Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome's April pre-orders are up:

The Corruption of Chris Miller
Chris Miller (former Spanish child star, Marisol) lives with her stepmother Ruth (Jean Seberg; Breathless) in a large secluded mansion in the countryside. Both women have been traumatized by the mysterious disappearance of Chris’ father but their isolation is soon interrupted by the arrival of a mysterious young drifter, Barney (Barry Stokes; Prey), who they take on as a handyman. All the while, an unknown scythe wielding killer has been stalking the area, leaving an ever growing body count, and it’s not long before the women grow increasingly suspicious of Barney…

Darkroom
Janet has just returned home from college to visit her conservative family at their remote farmhouse, nestled deep in the countryside. What should be a happy reunion is quickly disrupted by the arrival of an unexpected guest: a mystery killer who photographs their unsuspecting victims before murdering them in a variety of brutal ways. As her family and friends are picked off one by one, Janet is forced to fend off the mysterious maniac, all the while uncovering unsettling secrets surrounding her family’s violent and perverse past…

Grandmother's House
David and Lynn have just lost their father. Now orphaned, the youngsters are sent to live with their grandparents in a beautiful victorian mansion. But no sooner than boarding the coach bus scheduled to take them to their new home do strange things start to occur, initially in the form of a mysterious woman who seems to appear and disappear in the blink of an eye. It’s not long, however, before murdered bodies are found in the area and, to make matters worse, David becomes increasingly fearful that his doting grandparents might be involved in the killings.

Skin Flicks
Harry (Tony Hudson) is an ambitious director of hardcore movies who’s reached a breaking point. Fearing that he is artistically burnt out and struggling to find meaning in both his life and work, Tony finds solace with the companionship of an equally emotionally damaged young actress named Susan (Sharon Mitchell). As their relationship grows, Tony hopes to find the creative inspiration to finish his latest film, as Susan continues on a downward spiral which threatens to destroy them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Sweet! In for Darkroom and Grandmother's House!

Edit: I'll give The Corruption of Chris Miller, a shot too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Terminator 2 UV: V7KYB7XH4M3C

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

Terminator 2 UV: V7KYB7XH4M3C

Taken, thank ye

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I really need to stop blind buying stuff and not watching them...but Darkroom sounds interesting. Probably gonna get it next time there’s a big sale

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

eBay really is a good place to look for stuff. I've been on a silent movie kick and I managed to find the TCM Archives set of Greta Garbo silents (Flesh and the Devil, The Temptress, and The Mysterious Woman) for $10 shipped. Not only did the seller pack it in a nice padded envelope, they also put a small piece of bubble wrap inside the case to keep the discs from popping out in transit.

Also received Bergman's Face to Face - only on DVD from Olive Films. While the image quality is quite nice for DVD, the sound is awful. Maybe I'm spoiled by all the Criterion/Svensk Filminstitut restorations using the original soundtrack negatives and magnetic masters, but it's like they took the sound from an old VHS tape. Oh well, at least it'll be one less Bergman I haven't seen.

It's really weird buying DVDs, but I've accepted that we're probably never getting Blu-rays of a lot of stuff, especially a lot of silents and "lesser" films owned by major studios.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

eBay has been a lot of fun recently. I saved a couple of hard to find and oop items so I get notifications when they get listed. Most of the time people are asking for a high, but reasonable price. Sometimes you can find a really good deal like when I got Phantasm 2 for around $20. Sometimes people ask insanely high prices that no one will buy. No, I am not paying $100 for Airheads on Blu-ray.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like the counterpoint to all the dogging on VHS collectors is, like, most of Vinegar Syndrome's stuff is the kind of poo poo VHS collectors eat up. A lot of these movies are complete garbage, but they're certainly not boring garbage; I'd watch Cards of Death or Video Violence a hundred times before I'll ever touch The loving King's Speech again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like the counterpoint to all the dogging on VHS collectors is, like, most of Vinegar Syndrome's stuff is the kind of poo poo VHS collectors eat up. A lot of these movies are complete garbage, but they're certainly not boring garbage; I'd watch Cards of Death or Video Violence a hundred times before I'll ever touch The loving King's Speech again.

I regret none of my Vinegar Syndrome collection. Even if it's something I'm not terribly interested in, being typically of a lower production budget, there is always some interesting time capsules happening. There really are some gems in the bunch too that for one reason or another slipped through the cracks over the years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

eBay has been a lot of fun recently. I saved a couple of hard to find and oop items so I get notifications when they get listed. Most of the time people are asking for a high, but reasonable price. Sometimes you can find a really good deal like when I got Phantasm 2 for around $20. Sometimes people ask insanely high prices that no one will buy. No, I am not paying $100 for Airheads on Blu-ray.

It's funniest when eBay sellers are clearly not even looking at Amazon pricing. Why sure I'll pay $50 for a used Blu-ray that's currently on Amazon for $24.99.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I went to a video store in Austin a couple of days ago and they had an entire section for vhs releases from Something Weird video, tons of which never got an official DVD release. There's a very select niche of people that treasure something like a tape of 'Love Goddesses from Blood Island' or '3 on a Waterbed', and are the guardians of a certain kind of sleaze that would totally disappear to time without them, and I salute them for it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Are there really people paying 100 dollars for loving Airheads?

Origami Dali posted:

I went to a video store in Austin a couple of days ago and they had an entire section for vhs releases from Something Weird video, tons of which never got an official DVD release. There's a very select niche of people that treasure something like a tape of 'Love Goddesses from Blood Island' or '3 on a Waterbed', and are the guardians of a certain kind of sleaze that would totally disappear to time without them, and I salute them for it.

Comcast used to have a Something Weird section in their VOD service and it ruled. They got rid of it several years ago. VOD was much weirder about ten years ago, I guess maybe the fragmenting of streaming sites is a thing that effects that platform too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

Comcast used to have a Something Weird section in their VOD service and it ruled. They got rid of it several years ago. VOD was much weirder about ten years ago, I guess maybe the fragmenting of streaming sites is a thing that effects that platform too.

Yeah, Something Weird stuff is available on the Full Moon streaming service now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

No, I am not paying $100 for Airheads on Blu-ray.

Tapeheads, on the other hand...

Man I want a Tapeheads release.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

At least one person has! I mean I’d love to have it on Blu, but my limit is gonna be $30 just because it’s so rare. If it wasn’t, that like an $8 movie. Same thing for Monkeybone. It rarely shows up and is typically $40 on the low end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

At least one person has! I mean I’d love to have it on Blu, but my limit is gonna be $30 just because it’s so rare. If it wasn’t, that like an $8 movie. Same thing for Monkeybone. It rarely shows up and is typically $40 on the low end.

Airheads isn't really a movie with any sort of really impressive visuals so if my options were paying in excess of 40 dollars or just buying a five dollar DVD I'd got for the latter. It seems like every out of print movie is outrageously expensive now. I don't remember it ever being this bad before. A lot of times there would be a DVD that was out of print and it would be like 25-30 bucks. But it seems like the second anything goes out of print now it's a 50-100 dollar (or even more) item. Hell I remember when Dawn of the Dead was just collecting dust in the cheap movie bins for a long time.

With ebay sellers I find that if you just wait a while someone will list it for a reasonable price. Or if it's an auction and the movie isn't crazy popular or well known you can get it for not much. I got Hardware about a year or two back for 30 bucks because I was the only one who bid on it when most copies were still selling for double that or a little more. Patience is key.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 14, 2019

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Airheads rules

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Unmature posted:

Airheads rules

It's a fun movie, but not worth paying more than what a lot of box sets cost.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So, I might have pre-ordered the Japanese deluxe edition blu-ray of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, because I'm a big old loser.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90A...YVE8B92MG7Z06PJ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unmature posted:

Airheads rules

The lone rangers? There’s 3 of you.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

The lone rangers? There’s 3 of you.

If it’s too loud you’re too old.

I’m sure it’s been discussed in this thread, but the Bergman Criterion set is one of the greatest home video releases of all time. Essential. I just finished Wild Strawberries.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's also something to be said for the fascination of the sheer amount of effort and love put into those releases. It's the extension of people who WOULD pay a hundred bucks for that dreck, but in a altruistic way. It's wholesome, in a way.

Blind buying Burning because the cinematic release isn't for another month here :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

I’m sure it’s been discussed in this thread, but the Bergman Criterion set is one of the greatest home video releases of all time. Essential. I just finished Wild Strawberries.

I'm really hoping this leads to more comprehensive filmmaker sets. Just from what Criterion has the rights to, they could also do similar ones for Kurosawa, Ozu, Chaplin, and Truffaut.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Where can I watch Video Violence because that movie looks ridiculous. Also the sequel.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm really hoping this leads to more comprehensive filmmaker sets. Just from what Criterion has the rights to, they could also do similar ones for Kurosawa, Ozu, Chaplin, and Truffaut.

I’d really like a Fellini, Godard, Truffaut or Kurosawa set especially.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Didn't they already do a Kurosawa 100 DVD set? I assume it's not had a blu-ray release because of the rights stuff with StudioCanal et al

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently, some of the new Kino Lorber licenses from StudioCanal are popping up on Kanopy -

I, Butthole posted:

Didn't they already do a Kurosawa 100 DVD set? I assume it's not had a blu-ray release because of the rights stuff with StudioCanal et al

Back in December 2009, but they didn't have the rights to five of his films - The Quiet Duel (then with BCI Eclipse), Derzu Uzula (Kino), Ran (Lionsgate/StudioCanal), Dreams (Warner), and Rhapsody in August (MGM). The rights to The Quiet Duel have apparently reverted to Kadokawa, Criterion has already confirmed Derzu Uzula is in the works licensed from Mosfilm, Ran has been teased on Twitter, Dreams is already out, and Rhapsody in August reverted to Shoichku.

If a "mostly complete" Bergman set can sell this well, a similar Kurosawa set would probably be one of their best-sellers of all time. I'm predicting it as this year's or next's big release.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’m skeptical about a Kurosawa set, or any big set apart from Kiarostami. Part of the reason Criterion could release the Bergman box, I assume, is that Svensk Filmindustri had already restored most of the film’s in the few years prior. No such restoration project exists for Kurosawa, to my knowledge, and I think that’s why the first set was DVD-only.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A comprehensive Kurosawa set would be a tough decision for me, because I already own most of his films that Criterion has released. I'd be basically just buying it for Derzu Uzala, Ran, and High & Low, but I suppose if the packaging is nice enough I'd still be tempted.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Brick is apparently hitting Blu in May! Good movie all around. Rian Johnson’s first flick, and early Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Great noir vibes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Brick is apparently hitting Blu in May! Good movie all around. Rian Johnson’s first flick, and early Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Great noir vibes.

It just got pushed to August for a new 4K master supervised by Rian Johnson. Kino was originally going to use Universal's existing master, but RJ heard about the release and apparently offered to assist.

Also, the Tribeca Film Festival is showing an new 4K restoration of Apocalypse Now in Dolby Vision and with a new Dolby Atmos soundtrack. It's listed as "Final Cut" but the runtime is a bit shorter than the regular theatrical cut (which may just be because Coppola prefers it to be screened with programs for credits rather than the end titles as part of the film). They're also running a new 4K of This is Spinal Tap.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

caligulamprey posted:

I love Weekend at Bernie's 2. It's made entirely of cocaine, bad decisions and legit island jams.

Jesus christ, listening to that song is taking me right back to being 10 years old and watching Weekend at Bernie's 2 over and over again every time it reruns on HBO.

Iron Crowned posted:

I regret none of my Vinegar Syndrome collection. Even if it's something I'm not terribly interested in, being typically of a lower production budget, there is always some interesting time capsules happening. There really are some gems in the bunch too that for one reason or another slipped through the cracks over the years.

Yeah, I blind-bought three VS blu rays recently, and I guess the only one I "regret" is Wacko because it's not just bad, it's a bad comedy. It's from the director of Joysticks (gee, can't imagine why I would've bought that), and the writer of The 'Burbs but holy poo poo is it just depressing to sit through. I mean they got George loving Kennedy and Stella Stevens, and Charles Napier in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role... well, it's not like those are actors who are picky about what parts they'll take but they're good actors and they're featured in this garbage. But I guess it's interesting for beating Scary Movie to the punch by like two decades. And it's equally awful.

There's Nothing Out There on the other hand, that movie is delightful. Definitely a top-favorite blind viewing discovery.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MVD announced they picked up the rights to Split Second starring Rutger Hauer, first time in the US on BR.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I still can't figure out what happened exactly to the Hellboy UHD. Hellboy II is still listed as coming in May, I wonder if both are being planned for around that time when the new movie comes out. It's just weird to see such a well known movie drop completely from all websites without any story as to why it hasn't been released.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

They're also running a new 4K of This is Spinal Tap.

Wasn't Spinal Tap shot on 16mm? What is a 4K remaster going to do for that?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Timby posted:

HDR

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

That would be it since 16mm film has a maximum horizontal resolution of around 1800 lines

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I guess that might do something for the concert scenes but, yeah, i'll be content with a Blu for this one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

Obligatory, “it has two more Ks”

Following, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, original Evil Dead, and She’s Gotta Have It were all done at 4K too.

Technically, 4K scanning allows you to scan all the way to the sprockets and not sacrifice resolution on the final master. Overkill, but even 35mm films are usually scanned at 6K even if the final master is 2K/4K.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So hey, that 2001 Blu Ray that came out last year is the best one to get right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Organic grain isn't equivalent to pixels. With a carefully produced 4k release of a rough 50 year old 8mm underground art film, the textural quality could be well worth it.
When we get there, there could be 8k restorations from the dawn of film making. There's always more to get out of film.