Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

sniper4625 posted:

I don't like how confrontative some are

It's a game of mafia not happy friend time.

We are here to pick someone to murder every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Azurelana posted:

I think I will do this:

##vote Cpig

Cpig came out hard on Chic and I don't think it made much sense to do that. It also might have quelled future discussion.

---

Chic is for sure not on my radar today. From what little experience I have making cases often just invites scrutiny and little else. So making the first case of the game is something I think is a town move.

(Hello! Just want to check - is this your first SA mafia game? I don't think we've gamed together yet)

Can you explain how you think CPig casing Chic might have quelled future discussion? To me it seems like he was trying to jumpstart discussion in an otherwise quiet game.

Azure is on my radar at the moment as well but I'd be willing to give a newbie pass there.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sniper4625 posted:

One day I will calibrate the correct setting between "lolk bandwagon" posting and "ok you made a good point here's a bunch of words" posting to arrive at "is not immediately posting scummy posting." I do think that pushback on the former leading to the latter isn't an obvious sign of scummery? But I'm necessarily biased here.

---

Now that I'm rereading it while not trying to run an event I'm not entirely sure either. Probably something about still calibrating - Teland has the right of it.

Anyway if I am being encouraged to follow my gut then sure, I don't like how confrontative some are, but is it enough to condemn? Not yet.

Actually now that I've read him, Sniper is my second-most suspicious person on D1. Sorry work friend! :ohdearsass:

This is a tone read, Sniper has used a ton of words this game to not really convey much. He reads like scum trying to look engaged but not actually having a point that he's trying to make. His only alignment read has been a vote on Cpig followed by walking it back.

My preferences for today would be Sniper or Hal at the moment.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Murmur Twin posted:

Actually now that I've read him, Sniper is my second-most suspicious person on D1. Sorry work friend! :ohdearsass:

This is a tone read, Sniper has used a ton of words this game to not really convey much. He reads like scum trying to look engaged but not actually having a point that he's trying to make. His only alignment read has been a vote on Cpig followed by walking it back.

My preferences for today would be Sniper or Hal at the moment.

Some direct points then:

CPig and Chic have been confrontative, but considering the course of the day that's not particularly scummy - we've been pretty moribund. Like I said that's not really enough to condemn on.

You on the other hand have been absent bar for momentary pop ins to avoid total AWOLness and promises that content was forthcoming. Which it did in these recent posts, which seem detailed and oriented enough to outweigh the aforementioned absentness.

So in short, who do I currently find suspicious? I dunno. That's probably why my posts seem aimless, I don't have a thesis case to make.

Has anyone seen Asiina lately?

Azurelana
Nov 6, 2018

Too cute to function

Murmur Twin posted:

(Hello! Just want to check - is this your first SA mafia game? I don't think we've gamed together yet)

Can you explain how you think CPig casing Chic might have quelled future discussion? To me it seems like he was trying to jumpstart discussion in an otherwise quiet game.

Azure is on my radar at the moment as well but I'd be willing to give a newbie pass there.

I think that going aggressively after the only case on the table immediately makes people more reluctant to put out more cases because people going after you isn't very fun.

But even were that not true it's still just really weird to do that and then just try to shrug it off later.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GeneX posted:

##vote MMT

I think I feel stronger about this as a meta case than Sniper, Hal or Chic as content cases

Oh, ok, MMT seems like she honestly forgot

##vote Sniper

Hi again

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

sniper4625 posted:

Oh no bad time to catch up!

I'm actually fine with Sniper. He's doing a lot of "I dunno it's D1" but he's not really experienced with mafia, so it feels like clueless newbie to me. He reads genuine.

Most people I have a pretty null read on other than CPig tbh. None of the other content feels particularly egregious atm.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

The state of the game, MMT remix:

Lean town - CPig, GX (actively hunting for scum)
Null-lean-town - Chic, Teland (engaging with the game and appear to be speaking off the cuff)
Null - Asiina, Azure (low content but I'm willing to wait and see given the quiet state of the game)
Lean scum - Hal, Sniper (both read as unnaturally self-conscious)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Asiina posted:

Oh no bad time to catch up!

I'm actually fine with Sniper. He's doing a lot of "I dunno it's D1" but he's not really experienced with mafia, so it feels like clueless newbie to me. He reads genuine.

Most people I have a pretty null read on other than CPig tbh. None of the other content feels particularly egregious atm.

I knew I could count on you to understand me.

Murmur Twin posted:

Lean scum - Hal, Sniper (both read as unnaturally self-conscious)

A side effect I suppose of being on the defensive from the start - once the kernel of suspicion is there, I'm not really sure how to effectively defend myself without it becoming "lady doth protest too much" which is also scummy. Maybe you old pros are just better at mining the D1 nuggets.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sniper4625 posted:

Some direct points then:

CPig and Chic have been confrontative, but considering the course of the day that's not particularly scummy - we've been pretty moribund. Like I said that's not really enough to condemn on.

You on the other hand have been absent bar for momentary pop ins to avoid total AWOLness and promises that content was forthcoming. Which it did in these recent posts, which seem detailed and oriented enough to outweigh the aforementioned absentness.

So in short, who do I currently find suspicious? I dunno. That's probably why my posts seem aimless, I don't have a thesis case to make.

##vote Sniper

You sound like me when I'm scum, where I know that everyone I'm casing is town and find it hard to commit to a lie. And it seems like you're focusing on lurkers (me early on, Asiina), which is a pretty easy scum case to make.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sniper4625 posted:

A side effect I suppose of being on the defensive from the start - once the kernel of suspicion is there, I'm not really sure how to effectively defend myself without it becoming "lady doth protest too much" which is also scummy. Maybe you old pros are just better at mining the D1 nuggets.

Can you give me a list of your alignment reads similar to the one I posted?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Murmur Twin posted:

Not before deadline, I'm heading out for the night. As I am unable to muster a defense, I don't begrudge your mistaken vote and will treat it as a further lesson on proper d1 conduct.

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

My instinct early on was to not trust Hal, but I was holding off because the explanation that they were targeting MMT because of a past experience could hold up (although I don't see why you would try to get other people on board for a purely personal vote).

If MMT is telling the truth that there isn't much basis behind that explanation, then I think the only reason to target her would be because she wasn't defending herself, so it could be easy to push votes to her (and away from someone else). But if you want an easy target, wouldn't it be easier to jump on the cpig bandwagon than to stick with MMT when no one's listening?

Hal seems most suspicious to me at this junction but I can't pin down their reasoning - it just seems off. I will have to keep an eye on MMT since that's the only person who can refute Hal's explanation, making it really easy to turn the tables on them.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

I have awakened!

I too don't like the cpig joke, but more I don't like the immediate throwing shade on Chic for giving a real opinion while using the excuse that he's just trying to get conversation started too.

##vote cpig

What about CPig's vote looked specifically like something he'd do as scum? I don't see it at all.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

##vote cpig I am not a fan of the sniper cases

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Hal Incandenza posted:

##vote cpig I am not a fan of the sniper cases

Hal, be honest, you rolled scum didn't you?

You are being really scummy this game.

You aren't normally this blatantly scummy.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

CapitalistPig (4): Asiina, sniper4625, Chic Trombone, sniper4625, Azurelana, Hal Incandenza
sniper4625 (3): GeneX, CapitalistPig, GeneX, GeneX, Murmur Twin
Teland (0): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig
Hal Incandenza (0): GeneX, GeneX, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Chic Trombone (0): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig
Murmur Twin (0): GeneX, Hal Incandenza, GeneX, GeneX, GeneX, Hal Incandenza

Not Voting (2): sniper4625, Teland

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is March 13th, 2019 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 28 minutes.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

Hal, be honest, you rolled scum didn't you?

You are being really scummy this game.

You aren't normally this blatantly scummy.

nope but you know I would tell you if I was

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Well, I am at -1 so like. When I die and flip VT take a serious look at Hal/sniper/chic.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

This momentum on Pig is awful and I am strongly against it. The people who have a town read on Sniper are going to explain to me how someone saying “gee, making reads is hard”, casing lurkers, and then vanishing at deadline clears him of suspicion.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

Well, I am at -1 so like. When I die and flip VT take a serious look at Hal/sniper/chic.

Well that’s rude.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

This momentum on Pig is awful and I am strongly against it. The people who have a town read on Sniper are going to explain to me how someone saying “gee, making reads is hard”, casing lurkers, and then vanishing at deadline clears him of suspicion.

There is only one thing that clears you of suspicion in a mafia game MMT

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sniper4625 posted:

Not before deadline, I'm heading out for the night. As I am unable to muster a defense, I don't begrudge your mistaken vote and will treat it as a further lesson on proper d1 conduct.

He didn’t even drop a vote before vanishing, come on.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

There is only one thing that clears you of suspicion in a mafia game MMT

Sell me on Pig over sniper, quote some posts

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

Sell me on Pig over sniper, quote some posts

Mostly how pig demanded content then jumped on the first content that showed up. It rubbed me the wrong way, like a scum would rub me

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I’m not super opposed to sniper, just think pig is a little scummier but I’m still around to listen to more arguments

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

The argument against cpig looks to me more like admonishment for being rude than real suspicion. I imagine if I were scum I would be avoiding confrontation to keep out of the spotlight.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

I’m not super opposed to sniper, just think pig is a little scummier but I’m still around to listen to more arguments

Murmur Twin posted:

The people who have a town read on Sniper are going to explain to me how someone saying “gee, making reads is hard”, casing lurkers, and then vanishing at deadline clears him of suspicion.

---

He didn’t even drop a vote before vanishing, come on.

Do you disagree with any of my points above?

We have less than an hour left, if people think Sniper is town I'd love to hear why, otherwise it'd be super cool if people could vote there or work harder to sell Pig as scum.

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

Murmur Twin posted:

The people who have a town read on Sniper are going to explain to me how someone saying “gee, making reads is hard”, casing lurkers, and then vanishing at deadline clears him of suspicion.
I don't think it clears him - actually I think you've made the best argument against him so far. Getting defensive at the last minute (calling out you and asiina) didn't rub me the right way either. But so much of this depends on whether being indecisive is out of character for him, and that I don't know. It seems unfair to go against him for that when you can all plainly see that I'm also indecisive.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Teland posted:

I don't think it clears him - actually I think you've made the best argument against him so far. Getting defensive at the last minute (calling out you and asiina) didn't rub me the right way either. But so much of this depends on whether being indecisive is out of character for him, and that I don't know. It seems unfair to go against him for that when you can all plainly see that I'm also indecisive.

Read his posts - does he look like someone who is trying to solve a mystery? Or is he more focused on people understanding why he isn't making cases?

The fact that he vanished (without voting) the second I asked him for reads has to be the most suspicious thing on D1, no?

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

But if he's not genuinely trying to solve the mystery, why doesn't he just seal the deal on cpig (one of the people who has spoken against him) to avert this suspicion?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Teland posted:

The argument against cpig looks to me more like admonishment for being rude than real suspicion. I imagine if I were scum I would be avoiding confrontation to keep out of the spotlight.

Interesting thought there!

Murmur Twin posted:

sniper4625 posted:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Teland posted:

But if he's not genuinely trying to solve the mystery, why doesn't he just seal the deal on cpig (one of the people who has spoken against him) to avert this suspicion?

Because then he looks suspicious for dropping the hammer on town D1, instead of leaving town in the dark by letting a no-lynch happen.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I mean I would switch to sniper if that will make something happen but I don't know if there is another vote

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

Murmur Twin posted:

Because then he looks suspicious for dropping the hammer on town D1, instead of leaving town in the dark by letting a no-lynch happen.
So now I'll look suspicious if I make the final call and it's wrong. Gah!

I do see more of merit for the sniper argument than cpig. But even so... my vote wouldn't be enough and it's down to the wire.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sniper4625 posted:

Maybe one day I will pick up the knack of what jokeposting is in good fun and what jokeposting is a d1 scumtell it's an arcane art.

Anyway, would scum so blatantly try to get the ball rolling with an early finger? Or would that get them the so sought "townie cred?" True questions for the scholars. But if it's good enough for my old buddy Asiina

##vote cpig

Like come on, this isn't a post written by someone comfortably sharing his thought process, it's someone carefully choosing his words.

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean I would switch to sniper if that will make something happen but I don't know if there is another vote

Oh well that negates what I just said.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Teland posted:

Oh well that negates what I just said.

ball is still in your court friend

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

Teland posted:

So now I'll look suspicious if I make the final call and it's wrong. Gah!

I do see more of merit for the sniper argument than cpig. But even so... my vote wouldn't be enough and it's down to the wire.

I will take ownership of messing this up if Sniper flips town but I feel fairly confident I'm right and you're both here to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

ok fine I will make it easy for you teland ##vote sniper