Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJoR4vlIIs

This looks fun. And very much like they're painstakingly following the book, except adding some exposition superiors to Aziraphale's side. I mean, why not, Crowley's got Hastur and Ligur.

Jack Whitehall looks utterly transformed.

I wasn't hot on the first trailer but that looks wayyyy better. Absolutely nailed the look for Anathema and Newt. Jon Hamm looks fun. Kinda bummed that Pollution isn't a withered, anonymous waif though. Not that the character had to be male or white but I was expecting emaciated or grimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So it's about angels, devils, heaven, and hell, but doesn't seem to be dealing with faith and religious experience at all?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So it's about angels, devils, heaven, and hell, but doesn't seem to be dealing with faith and religious experience at all?

Oh, it deals with faith, definitely.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's hosed up. Starting think this guy might not have been good at writing..

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Doesn't even use chapters. Hasn't got a clue.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

the bulk of atheists - and all of the evangelical type - can only engage with the external trappings of religion, as they lack both the personal experience of mature faith and any interest in understanding what that experience is like. this makes their writing and their thoughts on the matter shallow and silly. they are emotionally and intellectually stunted, locked in a permanent stage of angry reaction against their parents for dragging them to sunday school when they were twelve. this is the sort that terry pratchett is

e: was

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Small Gods tho

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the bulk of atheists - and all of the evangelical type - can only engage with the external trappings of religion, as they lack both the personal experience of mature faith and any interest in understanding what that experience is like. this makes their writing and their thoughts on the matter shallow and silly. they are emotionally and intellectually stunted, locked in a permanent stage of angry reaction against their parents for dragging them to sunday school when they were twelve. this is the sort that terry pratchett is

e: was

Everyone who disagrees with me is being childish!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Small Gods tho

Feet of Clay, as well. Seriously, there isn't a single statement Chernobyl Kinsman could have made that is easier to disprove.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Jedit posted:

Feet of Clay, as well. Seriously, there isn't a single statement Chernobyl Kinsman could have made that is easier to disprove.

Making his post a worthy homage to BotL.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cicadalek posted:

Small Gods tho

small gods is the worst example i can possibly think of to prove my post wrong. it's tired, bog-standard British anti-Catholicism. pratchett's Not Catholic Church is shallow, silly, and worst of all boring. the bit about the turtle god starting to care about his worshippers is good, but that's it. the Big Event that gets everyone christian again is a public miracle, because the idea of non-positivism and believing in something you haven't literally seen is completely alien to Pratchett even in his imagination. it ends with the Not-Catholic Church espousing perfect liberal humanism and relinquishing all truth claims, therefore rendering religion non-threatening and palatable to atheist readers (and its atheist writer).

i haven't read feet of clay and i'm not going to, but i doubt it signals a break with pratchett's usual superficial treatment of religion

Jedit posted:

Seriously, there isn't a single statement Chernobyl Kinsman could have made that is easier to disprove.

of course there is. i could have said that terry pratchett was a good writer

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 13, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

pratchett's usual superficial treatment of religion

there's nothing there except the surface, the depths are invented, just like the god(s)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i haven't read feet of clay and i'm not going to, but i doubt it signals a break with pratchett's usual superficial treatment of religion

It's explicitly about the positive power of faith.

"I haven't read the material but I'm gonna double down anyway" is never a strong position.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is what you traded BotL for lmao.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is what you traded BotL for lmao.

<searches for Report button>

Why can't we have both?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
*kramers into the thread*

hey guys...... u kno that thing u like thayt this thred is about?

its.... BAD... AND SUPERFICAL

NERDS

*huffs farts and rubs printouts of BotL's posts on his crotch*

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

the bit about the turtle god starting to care about his worshippers is good, but that's it.

"the bit", as if that's a small sidebar in the novel and not a huge part of the plot

quote:

the Big Event that gets everyone christian again is a public miracle, because the idea of non-positivism and believing in something you haven't literally seen is completely alien to Pratchett even in his imagination.

The main character explicitly has unwavering belief in a god he's never seen before the events of the story. Did you like read the book in school years ago and forget everything until you needed to drop these epic truthbombs?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
One of my favorite parts in Small Gods is when Didactylos is talking about witnessing a stoning in Omnia. Now, if you wanted to take superficial potshots at the Catholic Church, you could just point to witch hunts and the Spanish Inquisition and say "hey look murdering people who don't agree with you is bad" and that'd be true, for sure, but not very deep. But Pratchett goes much further than that surface level.

I don't have the quote in front of me, but it goes something like:

Didactylos: I saw a stoning in Omnia before I went blind. it was pretty fuckin terrible to see.
Brutha: Well yeah but their body's state doesn't matter if it's to save their souls, so. . .
Didactylos: Well I'm not sure about any of that, but I wasn't talking about the poor bastard in the pit. I was talking about the terrible looks on the faces of the people throwing the stones. They were sure, all right. Sure it wasn't them in the pit. They were so sure that they were throwing the stones just as hard as they could.

He is not just pointing out the system is terrible; he takes that as given. He's trying to explore why systems like that arise and persist. Systems that make otherwise good people do terrible things. That's a major theme throughout Discworld, and Small Gods uses religion as its example but other books use other systems (police states in Night Watch, feudalism in Interesting Times, jingoism in Jingo, etc.).

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I just started discworld, finished the first 2 books and liked them a lot. Looks like I'm at the point where I have to choose whether to read the rest by publication date or jump around and follow specific character arcs to their ends?

Any recommendations which way is more enjoyable?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Read it by publication order, then return to the stories you enjoyed most.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

great big cardboard tube posted:

I just started discworld, finished the first 2 books and liked them a lot. Looks like I'm at the point where I have to choose whether to read the rest by publication date or jump around and follow specific character arcs to their ends?

Publication order I'd say for the first run through, there's an overall thematic development that makes jumping back to the beginning of a sub-series odd.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

If I remember correctly, I read them by character arcs (ie I read the Death books, the Witches books, etc) but I'd say either way is enjoyable, as you get to see the Discworld evolve as a setting and PTerry becoming a better writer ( and sadly, in the later books written after his "embugerance", his writing quality decline). I would read them in some sort of order, if only to avoid spoilers / plot points (that said the first Discworld book I read was The Last Hero, a big coffee table / picture book that came late in the series)

Also re: Pratchett and religion, his best take on it was his non-Discworld trilogy The Bromeliad (Truckers, Diggers, and Wings)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cicadalek posted:

The main character explicitly has unwavering belief in a god he's never seen before the events of the story.

ya, he's also the last person on earth who still believes in Om, and his faith is wrong in many crucial respects - it needs to be filtered and rectified through comfortingly secular philosophy in order to be made palatable. (speaking of, you did get that the entire plot is a just hamfisted retelling of Aquinas' reconciling Christian theology with then-recently-discovered Aristotelian thought, right?) everyone else only worships om because they're stupid or afraid of the church

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's explicitly about the positive power of faith.

small gods seems to think it is, too, but it ends up just being about the positive power of "liberal humanism with a dash of NGO charity work on the side".

quote:

"I haven't read the material but I'm gonna double down anyway" is never a strong position.

neither is the uniquely nerd fallacy that one cannot criticize an author until one has read every single book that author ever wrote

DontMockMySmock posted:

Now, if you wanted to take superficial potshots at the Catholic Church, you could just point to witch hunts and the Spanish Inquisition and say "hey look murdering people who don't agree with you is bad"

he literally does, though? the main antagonist is Not The Pope, who heads Not The Inquisition. and as a sidebar, i had to google it to double check that pratchett honestly called his Inquisition standin The Quisition. come on, man.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't have the quote in front of me, but it goes something like:

yeah, i'm sorry, but "religion makes people feel justified in doing bad things" isn't very deep, either, nor is the bit you posted

e: i mean to be clear it's not wrong, it's just an extremely basic idea communicated in a not-particularly-innovative or nuanced way

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 14, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

:qq:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ya, he's also the last person on earth who still believes in Om, and his faith is wrong in many crucial respects - it needs to be filtered and rectified through comfortingly secular philosophy in order to be made palatable. (speaking of, you did get that the entire plot is a just hamfisted retelling of Aquinas' reconciling Christian theology with then-recently-discovered Aristotelian thought, right?) everyone else only worships om because they're stupid or afraid of the church

small gods seems to think it is, too, but it ends up just being about the positive power of "liberal humanism with a dash of NGO charity work on the side".

neither is the uniquely nerd fallacy that one cannot criticize an author until one has read every single book that author ever wrote

he literally does, though? the main antagonist is Not The Pope, who heads Not The Inquisition. and as a sidebar, i had to google it to double check that pratchett honestly called his Inquisition standin The Quisition. come on, man.

yeah, i'm sorry, but "religion makes people feel justified in doing bad things" isn't very deep, either, nor is the bit you posted

BoTL parachute account spotted.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Could you cite some fiction or beginner-level scholorship you feel does a good job of exploring the themes fans found compelling in Small Gods, Feet of Clay, Hogfather, et al?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

He is not just pointing out the system is terrible; he takes that as given. He's trying to explore why systems like that arise and persist. Systems that make otherwise good people do terrible things. That's a major theme throughout Discworld, and Small Gods uses religion as its example but other books use other systems (police states in Night Watch, feudalism in Interesting Times, jingoism in Jingo, etc.).

He was not really pointing trying to explore systems like that, it was always more a comment on people in general.
He had a rather cynical view on humanity, which is readily obvious in all his works.
It is readily apparent in the Witches series, where Weatherwax always pointed towards the personal responsibility of peoples actions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You really have missed the point, then. Brutha is the only person who worships Om. Everyone else worships the Church. This is explicitly stated at least twice, so odds are good you were rushing through the book trying to glean enough to satisfy whichever teacher set it to you as an assignment.

You also didn't understand why the Quisition are so called, but that's a lot more subtle. "In-" is a verb transitive; it moves a word into the active voice. For example, I might trust you to do something. That's passive, it just means I expect you will do it. But if I entrust you with doing something, then I am telling you I want you to do it. The Quisition are the reverse of that. An inquisition finds people and asks them questions. The Quisition just questions everyone who is brought before it, and it doesn't even really care about the answers.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

are there really teachers setting terry ratchett as assigned reading?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

4 years ago today, we were robbed. Rest in hilarity, Terry. :smith:

late but GNU pterry

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Also, going back to your original post, I like the characterization of atheists as no-YOU-shut-the-gently caress-up-Dad teenagers because they only engage with the external trappings of religion. You know, stuff like torturing people who don't fall in line, holy wars that kill millions, ruling by fear and violence...all that silly, shallow stuff. I guess atheists a have a lot of growing up to do.

I don't even really disagree with you that Pratchett doesn't engage with religion at the sort of high-level discussion you're describing (I think so anyway, you haven't really defined what high-level discussion looks like). Here's the thing though: religious people also don't think about it that hard, which leads to all the problems mentioned above. And that's kind of what the book is about. I'm not sure why you skateboarded into the thread to blast him for not publishing a college thesis instead of a novel.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

Also, going back to your original post, I like the characterization of atheists as no-YOU-shut-the-gently caress-up-Dad teenagers because they only engage with the external trappings of religion. You know, stuff like torturing people who don't fall in line, holy wars that kill millions, ruling by fear and violence...all that silly, shallow stuff. I guess atheists a have a lot of growing up to do.

are you aware that all that stuff happens under secular governments as well?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

A human heart posted:

Whaaaaaaaat!?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A human heart posted:

I always wanted a perfect example to encapsulate whataboutism, and that fills it nicely.

Yes. Secular governments do terrible poo poo too. Both of these things can be true at the same time, and Pratchett is deeply critical of both of them repeatedly across the series.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm almost at the end of my first read through (part way through Snuff at the moment)
I read in publication order and have really enjoyed seeing the disc grow and develop.
The books (mostly) occur in chronological order so ideas that appear in one book end up appearing in other books after that regardless of series

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So there's a bit in Carpe Jugulum when the priest and Granny Weatherwax are moving through the mountains together.

"If I thought there was some god who really did care two hoots about people, who watched ’em like a father and cared for ’em like a mother… well, you wouldn’t catch me sayin’ things like “There are two sides to every question,” and “We must respect other people’s beliefs.” You wouldn’t find me just being gen’rally nice in the hope that it’d all turn out right in the end, not if that flame was burning in me like an unforgivin’ sword. And I did say burnin’, Mister Oats, ‘cos that’s what it’d be. You say that you people don’t burn folk and sacrifice people any more, but that’s what true faith would mean, y’see? Sacrificin’ your own life, one day at a time, to the flame, declarin’ the truth of it, workin’ for it, breathin’ the soul of it. That’s religion. Anything else is just… is just bein’ nice. And a way of keepin’ in touch with the neighbors."

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

You really have missed the point, then. Brutha is the only person who worships Om. Everyone else worships the Church. This is explicitly stated at least twice, so odds are good you were rushing through the book trying to glean enough to satisfy whichever teacher set it to you as an assignment.

i know. that was part of my point.

Jedit posted:

You also didn't understand why the Quisition are so called, but that's a lot more subtle. "In-" is a verb transitive; it moves a word into the active voice. For example, I might trust you to do something. That's passive, it just means I expect you will do it. But if I entrust you with doing something, then I am telling you I want you to do it. The Quisition are the reverse of that. An inquisition finds people and asks them questions. The Quisition just questions everyone who is brought before it, and it doesn't even really care about the answers.

yeah i got that, man. it's not that subtle. it's still just Not The Inquisition. it's lazy and boring.

Cicadalek posted:

calm down.

Cicadalek posted:

Here's the thing though: religious people also don't think about it that hard, which leads to all the problems mentioned above. And that's kind of what the book is about.

"religious people don't think about their faith" is a hell of a dumb hill to die on, but it's irrelevant. if we were discussing a book written by a religious person that was similarly shallow and superficial, then i'd be critiquing that. but we're not.

Cicadalek posted:

I'm not sure why you skateboarded into the thread to blast him for not publishing a college thesis instead of a novel.

this is such a depressing viewpoint. "not sure why you expect a work of art to have depth or value or engage meaningfully with its subject" is so god damned goony.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

You're the one who came in calling him an emotionally stunted teenager, dude. If you don't like hyperbole then don't open with it.

You still haven't explained why it's shallow, or provided any examples of what you would consider a proper treatment of the subject. Discworld books are definitely not the heaviest reading, but you're describing the book like it was an r/atheism post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cicadalek posted:

You still haven't explained why it's shallow, or provided any examples of what you would consider a proper treatment of the subject.

i have provided what i think is a fairly detailed critique of its shallowness over the course of several posts now. if you don't think "it's the inquisition but i took the 'in' prefix off" to be shallow then i'm not sure how much farther we can get. maybe re-read my posts?

as for "a proper treatment of the subject", are you just looking for, like, books that actually deal with faith and religious experience in a substantive way? what are you in the mood for? anything by dostoevsky, but particularly the brothers karamazov and the idiot, waugh's brideshead revisited, eco's name of the rose, or zadie smith's white teeth... need some kind of direction here, because - since religion is such a central part of human behavior, history, and experience - it plays a fairly significant role in a lot of art, making it all the more glaring when it's dealt with in only a superficial manner.

e: Also a lot of people on here like a canticle for leibowitzbut i haven't read that since high school and i don't remember whether or not i liked it

Cicadalek posted:

Discworld books are definitely not the heaviest reading,

so this is another way of saying that discworld is light reading, which i agree with. since it's light, it deals shallowly with its subject matter, asks for little thought from its readers, and generally communicates a handful of simple easily-digested messages while trying to earn some laughs along the way. that's what it means for something to be light reading. you can still enjoy it, i guess, but you don't need to defend it, and you should be able to marshal some kind of critical distance between you and it instead of feeling compelled to defend it as though you, personally, were being attacked.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 14, 2019