Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't permaban people who are good money supplies when lowtax is literally running out of funds jfc just keep banning

his Patreon is bringing in over $130,000 a year now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

forever shall i walk the clifftops of tbb in my wedding gown, keening and laying down curses upon all who sail on that plain and uninspiring sea

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

less laughter posted:

Oh nevermind then gently caress botl

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

less laughter posted:

he can't survive on that

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Peel posted:

he shined too bright for this fallen world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSOePQBJQg

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Ah yeah

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh nevermind then gently caress botl

Before he suffered his martyrdom, Lamps boosted the news in multiple threads and on discord and encouraged others to donate as he had. Truly in this, and only this, was he finally "owned"

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Please tell me you have a link.

ah, i wish. I think it was in the genchat thread in CD, either the current one or most recent one.

Not a specific memory, but it was always funny when someone would accuse Lamps of only hating fantasy. Like yeah the guy who won't shut up about how awesome Gormenghast or Excalibur are and who makes huge posts critically thinking about specific works or the general genre, wow he really must hate this stuff!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

He just said the consensus of this thread: fantasy has a ton of cool ideas, just poorly written and executed.

This was something you couldn't answer by speculating about Hoids supercoolman powers.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i might

e: post the one that luigi made

Luigi Serafini remade Jules Renard's Histoires naturelles as a herbary, with printed leaves "pressed" between the pages. In trademark Serafini fashion, the illustrations depict whimsical made up plants:

At the conference, he said that the plants and their made-up scientific Latin names are all references of some kind. He revealed only one: the golden leaf (I can't find a photo online) comes from the Aeneidian golden bough, and admits one to Avernum for katabasis. Maybe you humanities nerds would like to give a try at decoding them? I can take photos of my copy

The_White_Crane posted:

For late 20th century horror, I recently got around to reading Blackwater by Michael McDowell, which was loving excellent.

Seconded although I wouldn't call it "horror", it's supernatural Southern Gothic IMO

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Blood Boils posted:

Before he suffered his martyrdom, Lamps boosted the news in multiple threads and on discord and encouraged others to donate as he had

What a way to go

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

Not a specific memory, but it was always funny when someone would accuse Lamps of only hating fantasy. Like yeah the guy who won't shut up about how awesome Gormenghast or Excalibur are and who makes huge posts critically thinking about specific works or the general genre, wow he really must hate this stuff!

I lay blame on modern fandom/"nerd culture" for this kinda thing, theres this weird attitude that selectivity in fantasy and sci fi is not valid and fans should just uncritically accept whatever has lasers and dragons. That doesnt explain it very well but if youve met a person with this attitude you know or spent any time in these communities it comes out sooner or later.

the idea that something could be bad is just not part of the conversation. it's like grade inflation or how a 7 is a "bad score" on a video game review site. not a stretch from there to "well this person doesn't like most of genre x so they are stuck up and immediately dismiss all of genre x."

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

But but there are ghosts in Shakespeare that makes my elf sex book valid!

I really liked the magic system, basing it off the ear color of the elf women was so fascinating...

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

As the CD hivemind told me once i merged my goony self within it, nerdism is a disease. *elrond voice* And criticism is the cuurre

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Elrond Hubbard

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

I lay blame on modern fandom/"nerd culture" for this kinda thing, theres this weird attitude that selectivity in fantasy and sci fi is not valid and fans should just uncritically accept whatever has lasers and dragons. That doesnt explain it very well but if youve met a person with this attitude you know or spent any time in these communities it comes out sooner or later.

the idea that something could be bad is just not part of the conversation. it's like grade inflation or how a 7 is a "bad score" on a video game review site. not a stretch from there to "well this person doesn't like most of genre x so they are stuck up and immediately dismiss all of genre x."

The retreat to a subjectivist theory of art comes out when something gets called bad, but for some reason calling something good is OK.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

McCloud posted:

I bring you all a message from Bravest of the Lamps, from beyond the veil:

Fare thee well, gentle soul, too good for these dead gay forums.

Rest well Fyandor

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If anyone still has contact with him, ask if he has a Twitter or something. He had some good taste and posts among all the crap and inexplicable love of Snyder movies.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Nerd social fallacies et al. I'll miss BotL. His posts made me write again just to prove him r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ wrong about elfbooks

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Bonfire of the Critic: Genre Looks at Sci-Fi and Fantasy

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sad but probably better than locking him to one personal thread: He was at his best when holding court against a huge crowd of stultifyingly boring nerds who all had the exact same viewpoint on everything. Locked to one or two threads with admirers, things were just a different kind of stultifying.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

lofi posted:

The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Bonfire of the Critic: Genre Looks at Sci-Fi and Fantasy

but I repeat myself

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He was a black sheep

Permanent pariah

He asked no quarter of the mods and none was given

He learned no lessons

He acknowledged no mistakes

He was as stubborn a goon as ever paid his :10bux: to be a poster

He brooked no authority, he did what he wanted to do and said what he wanted to say, and in the end, he gave you the threads

He was a natural goon

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I say this seriously, if I was permabanned I'd want it to be BOTL telling everyone about my failings and why I deserved it, because when he was good, he was the best poster on the forums.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Kinda want to do a write-up of a good genre novel in memory of his more positive posts.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have never posted in this forum, only lurked. But I will post now a single post with the mantle of the Silent Majority to say that BotL was the best content on this site, and he shall be missed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
lmfao @ botl's ban reason

"Every single post you make is a dumb one-liner about how a thing is bad. You haven't contributed anything of substance in years. "

Have the idiot mods actually read botl's posts? He is easily one of the best posters on the forum.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Does botl have twitter or a blog?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Banning someone for posting "Podcasts are bad and sinful." to a general chat thread is completely ridiculous.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

"Every single post you make is a dumb one-liner about how a thing is bad. You haven't contributed anything of substance in years. "

Have the idiot mods actually read botl's posts? He is easily one of the best posters on the forum.
It's especially rich given the not only substantial but effusive effortposts that he had been making of late.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 14, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I only knew him from The Book Barn but he definitely loved making GBS threads all people's favorite things as lacking merit. His breakdown of the Rothfuss books was actually really good at pointing out all the fundamental problems with the books themselves, like examples of bad writing, overuse of florid prose in an attempt to sound pseudo-intellectual, and incredibly poor treatment of any female characters (i.e the OC protag saves some female victims from a troupe of rapists and they immediately have sex with him later in gratitude and are amazed out how good he is)

His actual reviews of things he liked were actually enough to get me interested in reading them, like Gormenghast and The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini.

Permabanning him is pretty much "how dare you disagree and mock our favorite things" and is probably from someone with a hateboner for seeing anyone critique their precious franchise.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pentyne posted:

Permabanning him is pretty much "how dare you disagree and mock our favorite things" and is probably from someone with a hateboner for seeing anyone critique their precious franchise.
It was FactsAreUseless, who is generally a pretty sensible mod. It's more just exasperation at all the fights he stirs up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pentyne posted:

To be fair mods mostly see posters through reports, so they see those posts that get reported not those that don't. The real issue is how people report posts. And that BotL made a lot of one word, "edgy" and thingbad posts which were pretty low effort.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a version of the interludes in American Gods that is good? My favourite bits were the parts about the slaves going to America, about the woman who goes to America and starts a family.

Also, is there a Dark Souls The Book? Or something that comes close? I知 told the lore is fantastic but I知 not prepared to finish such an infuriating game to find out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
has anyone made a qcs thread yet. should we make a qcs thread

The DPRK posted:

Also, is there a Dark Souls The Book? Or something that comes close? I知 told the lore is fantastic but I知 not prepared to finish such an infuriating game to find out.

reading this caused me actual, physical pain, for several reasons

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

has anyone made a qcs thread yet. should we make a qcs thread

reading this caused me actual, physical pain, for several reasons

I did all the heavy lifting last time. I started writing a new one but realised I don稚 have the energy

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

when he was good, he was the best poster on the forums.

It痴 impossible to know whether this is true.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

WARNING: I got banned for linking the qcs thread in here last time. I can't type what I think of this because I would probably be banned again

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
People are already posting about it in the general mod feedback thread.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sham bam bamina! posted:

People are already talking about it in the general mod feedback thread.

yeah it's the usual qcs brigade and people who got upset botl said something was patting each other on the back how it was a 'clean kill'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The DPRK posted:

Is there a version of the interludes in American Gods that is good? My favourite bits were the parts about the slaves going to America, about the woman who goes to America and starts a family.

Ulysses is Dark Souls the book--it's tough but not really that hard once you learn the patterns and Joyce's moveset.

Now, Finnegan's Wake, that is some Ninja Gaiden poo poo.

BOTL's big problem was that he wasn't very funny so all his shitposting just came off as weirdly aggressive and misanthropic. If you're gonna accuse people of being pedophiles as a joke you gotta employ some finesse.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 14, 2019