Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jhet posted:

How have you not used it at least a couple times since using it last month?

Combo of being busy travelling around the planet, the holidays and prioritizing other foods when I do have a moment to cook :(

What is a simple dish I can make with it that won't require procurement of other unusual ingredients? I have access to Ranch 99 and stuff but cbf going there whereas I have American supermarkets on my way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Fair enough. Being busy and gone does keep a person from using delicious things.

I use it in fried rice, and in many versions of "throw things in the pan with a sauce". I use it as my flavor base when I'm just stir frying whatever I have on hand basically. I'll use vinegars, soy sauce, stocks, or whatever in the sauce and thicken with some cornstarch usually. Ginger, garlic, and scallions go in the pan too. Fry the doubanjiang on lower heat to not burn it. I'd use it for noodles too.

Personally, I'm guilty of just using the ingredients with a rudimentary knowledge of how they're used and then just going from there. I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there besides mapo tofu, but I never seem to try them exactly right. I really enjoy using it with star anise and sometimes cinnamon, and I find it goes great in a braise.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You cook exactly like me so I'm just gonna do what you do and see what I like thanks.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Hey guys, I got these dried black beans a little while ago and have been struggling to find something to do with them.

I picked them up mistaking them for fermented dried black beans but these are just regular dried black soy beans.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good way to use them? I found a recipe for black bean soup which looks interesting, but I've got lots of beans to use up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never saw those eaten in China and have no idea what they're used for or why they were for sale everywhere, but this Korean thing is decent.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/geomeun-kongjorim

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ideas to use up yuba/foo jook sheets? I've always tossed em in braised pork type dishes, anything else come to mind?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Ideas to use up yuba/foo jook sheets? I've always tossed em in braised pork type dishes, anything else come to mind?

Fu pei guen/dim sum tofu skin rolls I like to put some black beans in the sauce

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm having trouble with sichuan peppercorns. I find the tingle is way too weak compared to what I know from good restaurants, but if I try to increase the amount I find the taste gets overwhelmingly sharp and bitter. Is it just a matter of bad shells or am I loving up somehow (more inclined to believe the latter tbh)?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

how are you using them? the way it's done often is you (before adding any meat/veggies) fry up the peppercorns in oil to make the oil very ma.

it's more the oil that gives everything the ma flavor than the peppercorns themselves.

alternatively you can just get powdered huajiao and use that. That's how it's normally piled on the dishes that get lots.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

large hands posted:

Fu pei guen/dim sum tofu skin rolls I like to put some black beans in the sauce

One of my very favorite dim sum dishes!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I'm having trouble with sichuan peppercorns. I find the tingle is way too weak compared to what I know from good restaurants, but if I try to increase the amount I find the taste gets overwhelmingly sharp and bitter. Is it just a matter of bad shells or am I loving up somehow (more inclined to believe the latter tbh)?

are you removing the seed? are the peppercorns fresh?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I had the same problem with a couple batches I bought at stores. They probably sit on the shelves for years.

If they’re brownish, dusty, and lack a strong citrusy flavor when you eat them, they’re probably old and crap. I bought a popular brand off amazon and those both taste a lot better and have far fewer seeds than the bags I’ve bought from the store.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Which brand? I'm going to need to restock when my supply from Sichuan runs out and don't want to buy poo poo.

Also if you want a stronger citrus flavor look for green ones instead of the regular type. 青花椒 is what you're looking for on the package.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Amazon says I last bought Soeos brand. They are fine. I just went for whatever had a lot of decent reviews.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the replies guys. I was grinding em up in a spice grinder then frying them before cooking everything else, and I got them from Penzey's, a local Asian market, and another online spice retailer. They were all probably around a few months from time of purchase, at least, when I used them. I'll keep your advice in mind next time I give it a go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That might be the problem. There's no need to grind Sichuan pepper, throw the whole ones into the oil the same time as the dried chilies. If it's not strong enough do the Sichuan method: use more. Pile that poo poo in there. Dump entire bags into it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I just cooked with a fifth of this bag off amazon and its barely noticable. Really tasty though I will double the amount I put in next time at least. No seeds in my bag, at least not from the top. https://www.amazon.com/Three-Squirrels-Szechuan-Peppercorns%EF%BC%8CSichuan-Peppercorns/dp/B07CMD859X?th=1

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 1, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have been told by a Sichuanese friend's chef uncle that these are Sichuan chili seeds, for those who were trying to track them down before: https://www.amazon.com/Kung-Pao-Asi...er%2Bseeds&th=1

The pics are a lot longer than the dried peppers I've always seen but this guy should know what he's talking about so I'm going to trust him on it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That was probably me. I’m not sure those pictures look like erjingtiao, but the picture might just be misleading. I gave them an order, because I don’t mind trying them in the off chance that they’re not exactly right. I can always cook with whatever these are anyway. I haven’t finished planning my garden yet so this is great timing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GISing erjingtao gives me both the short ones I'm familiar with and ones that look that length so maybe they're different cultivars of the same pepper? Or the commercially grown ones are picked when shorter? I dunno, we'll see!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This is pretty cool, a chick in Yunnan with a cool doggo making food in a giant old fashioned wok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbr-SAi6PHM

E

lol she has another one making corn whisky for her grandpa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGx0W_2S3bE

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 5, 2019

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I'm tired of having to buy chili oil all the way at walmart and would like to make my own. Any tips on making a larger amount at once without hurting myself? My one attempt ended with a near burning so far.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

I'm tired of having to buy chili oil all the way at walmart and would like to make my own. Any tips on making a larger amount at once without hurting myself? My one attempt ended with a near burning so far.

I imagine you're having trouble pouring hot oil? Just put it all in a bowl far too large so that you can pour with the pan fully over the bowl. Also, use a thermometer so that your oil isn't too hot. Keep it under 250F.

I have large metal aluminium mixing bowls that would work, or just use a wok. No need to use a wok to heat the oil, you'd be better served using a pot better suited for pouring from for you.

Grand Fromage posted:

GISing erjingtao gives me both the short ones I'm familiar with and ones that look that length so maybe they're different cultivars of the same pepper? Or the commercially grown ones are picked when shorter? I dunno, we'll see!

Finally got those seeds yesterday. It's good timing because I'm setting up and starting peppers this week. I guess I'll find out in about 5 months if they're the right ones.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
So I've got a high end induction cooktop because my townhome doesn't have hookups for gas. So far it's been fine for my cooking (boy do I miss a proper clothes dryer that works, but I digress) but I want to get into proper chinese cooking since I've moved somewhere with an abundance of chinese grocers nearby and I'm just not sure I can get a wok hot enough on it. Any recommendations for an induction compatible wok? Should I just gently caress off and go with slower, lower-temp cooking styles?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If you have a balcony or a decent exhaust hood, I would just try to get a tabletop gas burner. Most Chinese supermarkets tend to have them, largely for this reason.

If that's not an option, induction should be fine even if not optimal? It's certainly better than old electric stoves, though you might have to pay some attention to not loving up the stove surface moving a wok around on it.

Waci fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 21, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Outdoors with a turkey fryer burner or something similar is the best you're going to get. If you can only cook indoors, do cast iron pans work on induction? I've found that cast iron's ability to get ripping hot makes it a decent substitute for a proper wok. Have to be careful with stirring and you'll be forced to do it in batches, but it's what I did in China (can't get a proper burner there either!) and it works reasonably well.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Waci posted:

If you have a balcony or a decent exhaust hood, I would just try to get a tabletop gas burner. Most Chinese supermarkets tend to have them, largely for this reason.

If that's not an option, induction should be fine even if not optimal? It's certainly better than old electric stoves, though you might have to pay some attention to not loving up the stove surface moving a wok around on it.

I was under the impression is that a good wok burner is going to get like 10x as hot as one of those butane cookers.

I've been wanting to get a wok burner, but I'm in the same boat where I dunno exactly what I'm looking for besides heat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've been meaning to build a proper table for my big green egg and i think i'll end up adding a turkey fryer burner to it so i can wok better (which means burn my food because i'm still not good at cooking in a wok)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I was under the impression is that a good wok burner is going to get like 10x as hot as one of those butane cookers.

I've been wanting to get a wok burner, but I'm in the same boat where I dunno exactly what I'm looking for besides heat.

A good tabletop burner still gets hotter than any induction stove I've ever used, but yea they won't get close to the flamethrower-in-a-barrel ones restaurants have. They're more a match for residential gas stoves.

But yea, a turkey fryer burner (or just a reasonably compact gas grill) is better if you can cook outdoors

Waci fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've found that you can make a decent fried rice or stir fry, after years of experimentation, by getting your western pan as hot as it goes and just leaving the meat or rice in it for about three minutes without touching. Yes it's not quite the same but the water gets driven off and crust develops like it would in a hotter pan. You do have to add aromatics later in the cooking this way tho.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Right, if you do the cast iron you can't actually stir fry, just leave it alone.

Fact is that the proper wok burner is mostly just a restaurant thing even in China so if you're cooking at home you don't have much in the way of options for getting the same effect.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Pretty sure you can get high BTU tabletop burners, but they're about the same price as a turkey fryer burner, and you can get even better heat from the turkey fryer burner. Fun fact, you can use a different adapter and hook those fryer burners up to natural gas and get quite the output. So if you have NG hookups in your kitchen, you could install one. I wouldn't because of all the oil you're going to put into the air, but they work on propane normally and work great outside. I have a Blichman burner for brewing that I use and just set it up on a table that works great, but if I ever get to build out a dream patio, it would have one of the single flame Bayou classic burners that I would just build into a table with a cover to use for a wok and heating water for brewing and other cooking purposes (like canning food).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive been stir frying pork with green peppers a bunch recently. its p easy and good imho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ate a heckova lot of p deece food in rural hubei during cny. ama.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been wok'ing with a turkey fryer for a few years now. It delivers amazing Wok Hei and my lo mein is perfect and my kung po no longer maces the entire house.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm very happy to announce that after trying for 4 years to replicate the dry fried beans a nice old retired sichuan chef who was also my landlord showed me how to cook once and told me the recipe for, I have finally made one batch that's like 95% correct and I cannot get over how happy this makes me.

if you're interested it's simple but hard to do right (or maybe I am bad):

1. cut the beans up, get oil very hot in a wok, fry the beans till the skins get sort of crispy and browned. this takes a deceptively long time and you need to stir a lot so as to not burn them.

2. remove the beans, more oil in wok, add some ground pork along with green onions, ginger, garlic, chili peppers and sichuan peppercorn (more than you feel comfortable adding). once the pork browns a little add some light soy sauce (生抽, not like, low sodium stuff) and shaoxing wine and mix it all up. I added maybe 2 tbsp of the soy sauce and maybe half that of the shaoxing but in true Chinese cooking fashion I was just throwing what seemed to be a reasonable amount into the wok without measuring anything.

3. once the pork is browned and it smells super good throw the beans back in, and add either sichuan pickled vegetables (芽菜)or the cantonese olive stuff? (橄榄菜) I like the olives myself.

4. mix it all up for a bit

e: 5. add some lao gan ma cuz why not

6. it's done

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 14, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

7. your insanely bad

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm very happy to announce that after trying for 4 years to replicate the dry fried beans a nice old retired sichuan chef who was also my landlord showed me how to cook once and told me the recipe for, I have finally made one batch that's like 95% correct and I cannot get over how happy this makes me.

if you're interested it's simple but hard to do right (or maybe I am bad):

1. cut the beans up, get oil very hot in a wok, fry the beans till the skins get sort of crispy and browned. this takes a deceptively long time and you need to stir a lot so as to not burn them.

2. remove the beans, more oil in wok, add some ground pork along with green onions, ginger, garlic, chili peppers and sichuan peppercorn (more than you feel comfortable adding). once the pork browns a little add some light soy sauce (生抽, not like, low sodium stuff) and shaoxing wine and mix it all up. I added maybe 2 tbsp of the soy sauce and maybe half that of the shaoxing but in true Chinese cooking fashion I was just throwing what seemed to be a reasonable amount into the wok without measuring anything.

3. once the pork is browned and it smells super good throw the beans back in, and add either sichuan pickled vegetables (芽菜)or the cantonese olive stuff? (橄榄菜) I like the olives myself.

4. mix it all up for a bit

e: 5. add some lao gan ma cuz why not

6. it's done

Cool, can you do it again?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This ebook bundle includes the book "Chinese Street Food," which, despite being written by two non-Chinese people, is pretty good. Here's a sample recipe:

quote:

热搅团 / Rejiao Tuan / Cornmeal Porridge in Sour Soup

SOUP:
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
8 ribs celery with leaves, finely diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 lb baby spinach
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp five-spice powder
10 cups water
¼ cup rice vinegar

PORRIDGE:
2 cups fine cornmeal
2 tsp salt
6–8 cups water

Chili oil for garnish

In a pot over medium heat, add oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add garlic, celery, and scallions. Sauté for 3–4 minutes, or until the whites of the scallions are translucent. Add tomatoes and spinach, and continue to sauté for 4–5 minutes, or until the tomatoes have begun to break down. Add salt, five-spice powder, water, and vinegar, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and maintain a simmer for 30 minutes, while you cook the porridge.

In a large pot over medium heat, thoroughly whisk together cornmeal, salt, and 6 cups of water. Continually stir the contents in one direction as it heats up to a low simmer. You should see small bubbles come to the surface within 7–10 minutes. Continue to stir and cook as the mixture thickens. The ideal texture will be that of a thick paste, after about 25–30 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick before this time, add water ½ cup at a time.

Distribute porridge into bowls, top with the soup, and garnish with chili oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

Cool, can you do it again?

likely not