Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

One of my dreams is to take all the saw movies and make a supercut thats just all the events in chronological order with no flashbacks. The film would be maybe 3 total hours by my reckoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've never finished the Saw series and I always go back and forth on if I can to. The convoluted plotting and twists and all the flash backing and gotcha stuff wore me down when I was keeping up with the film's, I imagine they make for a drag in a binge.

And I think Jigsaw's a tool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

All horror movies ever made are gay. I hope this guide helps.

All horror movies must be gay because they put the willies up you?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

everythings gay

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hollismason posted:

All horror movies ever made are gay. I hope this guide helps.

I have it on good authority that Martyrs is not in fact jolly or light-hearted.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This Ain’t Martyrs: A XXX Parody

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have to admit I like the Saw movies because they are basically arch-stupid, or "high trash"

They were such stupid poo poo to such an incredible extent I had to admire it

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I like the final twist in the first one. It makes no sense whatsoever if you think about it, but it sure is an effective 'gotcha'.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The reason Saw is good is because 4, 5, 6 and 7 were all written by the same guys and they are SUPER serious about the mythology and all the ridiculous twists and turns of the plot. In a genre where so often everything that came before gets dumpstered for the most recent sequel, I can't help but appreciate that kind of effort.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This may sound strange, while I'm not a fan of Saw at all I was really glad for it''s existence for a while. It was a big deal with people and it seemed like every seasonal haunted house had a Saw room that turned out generally creepy. The Halloween season is always more fun with something big and popular in people's minds.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I will always love there was a saw movie explicitly about the health care debate that explicitly included Jigsaw facing the camera and monologing about the evils of the insurance industry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Origami Dali posted:

Finally getting around to watching all of the Saw movies and jesus the amount of retconning, flashbacks, and convolution in these is insane. It's kind of impressive. With the right editor, these movies might've actually been good instead of just okay.

If it came around like 5 years later, Saw would be in its sixth season right now.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The later Saw movies had some of the best scene transitions in film history.

Edit: Maybe just Saw 4. https://youtu.be/zELat_lzJqo

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 14, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah those Saw IV transitions were outta control.

So I just watched Saw II-VIII back to back in a marathon of masochism because it's spring break and gently caress it, and holyyy poo poo this timeline is so bananas, it's like... admirably complicated. Overall, Final Chapter (aka 3D) is probably the weakest entry, even though it had a couple of cool setpieces like the shotgun merry-go-round. The hardest moment for me to watch from any of them was the pit of syringes from Saw II, which is weird because it isn't that gory and no one dies from it, but man, gently caress needles.

Watching these back to back, what stands out the most in a bad way is the obnoxious editing during the individual stages of the game. It's really lovely and dated flashy quick cuts, sped up footage, fake slomo, and strobes, it's like watching a nu-metal music video. I guess they figured people screaming in agony while hooked to deadly Rube Goldberg machines wasn't exciting enough, so you gotta cut that poo poo like it's poppin speed.

Once I got to Jigsaw, it was a breath of fresh air how well directed it was. It's not nearly as bonkers plot wise as the previous 4 entries, but it's easily the best looking. My only beef with it is that it's the only film in the series that ignores the end of the previous movie, so there's a big loose end hanging out there that it just forgot about for some reason.

Overall, time moderately-well wasted. :shrug:

Mitoboru
Mar 2, 2016

Fun Shoe
Hey horror thread please help me choose one to watch from my Lee/Price watchlist

The Masque of the Red Death
The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

Seems like I might not have to do any work tonight/tomorrow night for once so want to make the most of it watching something

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Witchfinder General

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's not an easy choice because Witchfinder General, The Devil Rides Out, and Masque of the Red Death are all fantastic.

Masque of the Red Death would be my personal choice though. The colors!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'd say Masque is the most must see, followed by Witchfinder General and Theater of Blood as a toss up, then The Devil Rides Out

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Witchfinder might be his only actually scary performance but Masque is so cool I’d say that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The story behind Witchfinder is that the director really didn't want Price on it because he thought he was a total ham and he was trying to make a more subdued kind of movie. He allegedly would consistently cut takes right at Price was getting into it and say something like, "You're doing it again" and then never clarifying what "it" was and making Price really mad. Not like the movie itself isn't kind of over-the-top and maybe the director was just a little too big for his britches, but the results speak for themselves, Price really gives an excellent performance that's really not like anything he'd ever done.

Mitoboru
Mar 2, 2016

Fun Shoe
Thanks all! I'll see if I can squeeze in Masque tonight and Witchfinder tomorrow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's funny is that going back through this stuff, the most consistently over the top guy is not Price but Peter Cushing. His Frankenstein is incredibly wry, bitchy and hammy.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mitoboru posted:

Hey horror thread please help me choose one to watch from my Lee/Price watchlist

The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

Seems like I might not have to do any work tonight/tomorrow night for once so want to make the most of it watching something

I asked this awhile ago but couldn’t get a firm answer; what the hell is up with the US distribution rights to some of these Price movies? It’s like impossible to find Witchfinder General and Dr. Phibes without importing.

Scream Factory had a 3-volume Price collection, but the volume 1 is long out of print and contains those films.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mitoboru posted:

The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

MASQUE! Its one of my all time favorites. The colors are gorgeous!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

I asked this awhile ago but couldn’t get a firm answer; what the hell is up with the US distribution rights to some of these Price movies? It’s like impossible to find Witchfinder General and Dr. Phibes without importing.

Scream Factory had a 3-volume Price collection, but the volume 1 is long out of print and contains those films.

I gave up on blu rays and just bought a set that had both of those movies on DVD.

https://www.amazon.com/Vincent-Pric...=gateway&sr=8-2

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mitoboru posted:

The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

All four are outstanding but if i'm goin' with my gut, Witchfinder General. But for sure watch 'em all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's funny is that going back through this stuff, the most consistently over the top guy is not Price but Peter Cushing. His Frankenstein is incredibly wry, bitchy and hammy.

fair but Cushing moreso than Price or Lee really knows how to underplay his reactions.

possibly my favorite actor of all time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah those Saw IV transitions were outta control.

So I just watched Saw II-VIII back to back in a marathon of masochism because it's spring break and gently caress it, and holyyy poo poo this timeline is so bananas, it's like... admirably complicated. Overall, Final Chapter (aka 3D) is probably the weakest entry, even though it had a couple of cool setpieces like the shotgun merry-go-round. The hardest moment for me to watch from any of them was the pit of syringes from Saw II, which is weird because it isn't that gory and no one dies from it, but man, gently caress needles.

Watching these back to back, what stands out the most in a bad way is the obnoxious editing during the individual stages of the game. It's really lovely and dated flashy quick cuts, sped up footage, fake slomo, and strobes, it's like watching a nu-metal music video. I guess they figured people screaming in agony while hooked to deadly Rube Goldberg machines wasn't exciting enough, so you gotta cut that poo poo like it's poppin speed.

Once I got to Jigsaw, it was a breath of fresh air how well directed it was. It's not nearly as bonkers plot wise as the previous 4 entries, but it's easily the best looking. My only beef with it is that it's the only film in the series that ignores the end of the previous movie, so there's a big loose end hanging out there that it just forgot about for some reason.

Overall, time moderately-well wasted. :shrug:

Dead Meat on YouTube does "kill count" videos that are actually full summaries of the film in addition to showing off the kills. One thing he pointed out is how virtually every twist is just showing a scene from a previous film again, but slightly zooming out so you can see that another person was there the whole time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mitoboru posted:

The Devil Rides Out
Witchfinder General
Theater Of Blood

Theater of Blood is really great, because it gives Price the chance to do a little Shakespeare and play a handful of different personas as he carries out his plan. Like it's the only time that I'm aware of that he got to play a gay hairdresser. It's also the only one of those that takes place in a modern-day setting, if that would have any bearing on your choice.

If anything, slot it in between Masque and Witchfinder as sort of a palette cleanser.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I should rewatch Theater of Blood because of course I enjoyed it a lot but I'd never put it in the same league as those other three.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

One thing he pointed out is how virtually every twist is just showing a scene from a previous film again, but slightly zooming out so you can see that another person was there the whole time.

Whats funny is that this isn't even hyperbole

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

STAC Goat posted:

Fire in the Sky really, really hosed with me as a kid on like an It level.

Same here.

I’m thinking it had to be on regular cable when we were just the right age that it could gently caress us up.
Didn’t it play on TNT or TBS?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The newest Saw movie's twist is loving great.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I feel like Robert Downey Jr would be a good Vincent Price type

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I havent seen it but I bet its that someone else is a disciple of jigsaw

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wish the rest of the movie was better. The laser collar kill is fantastic too

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mitoboru posted:

Witchfinder General

Witchfinder General is really great but the director explicitly told Price and enforced that he not ham it up. This is a questionable strategy and while it did pay off, it is therefore disappointing as a performance by Price in my books.

I don't watch Nicolas Cage films for a nuanced and calm delivery style and I don't watch Vincent Price movies for a restrained and understated performance is all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I havent seen it but I bet its that someone else is a disciple of jigsaw

It's more or less the same as the twist in Saw2 where everything isn't actually happening at the same time, some of the events being shown happened in the past.

Except this time they use it to tease that maybe Jigsaw somehow is still alive. It was pretty effective imo, and a decent excuse to get Tobin Bell monologing again.

InfiniteZero posted:

Witchfinder General is really great but the director explicitly told Price and enforced that he not ham it up. This is a questionable strategy and while it did pay off, it is therefore disappointing as a performance by Price in my books.

I don't watch Nicolas Cage films for a nuanced and calm delivery style and I don't watch Vincent Price movies for a restrained and understated performance is all.

Price really changed his mind on the whole thing once he actually saw the film though, and admitted that Reeves had been right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

I feel like Robert Downey Jr would be a good Vincent Price type

You take that back right now

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Geoffrey Rush doing a counterfeit Vincent Price in the House On Haunted Hill remake is still my favorite performance of his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It's more or less the same as the twist in Saw2 where everything isn't actually happening at the same time, some of the events being shown happened in the past.

Except this time they use it to tease that maybe Jigsaw somehow is still alive. It was pretty effective imo, and a decent excuse to get Tobin Bell monologing again.

I wonder why they bothered to kill Jigsaw when they made five more movies with him being shoe-horned in