Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Please don't joke about that kinda poo poo without a trigger warning, thanks.

AMA about the person in finance who used the goddam Outlook trash can as permanent archival storage for all invoices she’d processed :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

AMA about the person in finance who used the goddam Outlook trash can as permanent archival storage for all invoices she’d processed :psyboom:

I've had a good number of complaints over the years that the outlook deleted items deleted an important email

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PancakeTransmission posted:

Nope - they've already hidden the C drive. This is phase 2. I'm not in their team so not sure what their method is. Possibly NTFS read-only in the root? Program Files/Windows folders already require escalation to write to, and any program installation is (supposed to be) done by SCCM so can use other credentials. No user has local admin.
or maybe this GPO: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer - Prevent access to drives from My Computer (there's another option to just hide, but I'm pretty sure this one, in versions newer than 7, straight up prevents access)

Yeah, that policy will do what I'm describing. It's usually used in tandem with hiding the drives. It doesn't actually make the files/folders read-only.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PancakeTransmission posted:

I've done this to a remote site, luckily the site is also bad on power so I just had to wait a few days. It was interstate with nobody on site, so it could have been broken for a while :shrug:

Just pausing to admire this

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This thread has been one of the single best resources in my life. I’d be lost with out SA I feel. Donate to SA people

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you don't categorize all of your documents by remembering how far you need to vertically scroll on your outlook 2007 inbox to find important that you regularly refer to emails

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There is some executive/management shake up happening at my workplace that has potential to make things worse and I want to get my ducks in a row ahead of time.

That being said, anyone have any tips for finding remote only work? I have a pretty good feel for the local job market, but would love a 100% remote job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

There is some executive/management shake up happening at my workplace that has potential to make things worse and I want to get my ducks in a row ahead of time.

That being said, anyone have any tips for finding remote only work? I have a pretty good feel for the local job market, but would love a 100% remote job.
If you have a reasonable SRE/automation skillset, AngelList is a good place to watch. You can also find some decent curated lists like this one, and a lot of the Slack orgs like the Rands Leadership Slack have channels dedicated to remote work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I was just nominated for employee of the year :unsmith:

I still haven't gotten back the 80 hours of vacation they stole from me.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks Ants posted:

Just pausing to admire this

When I say "nobody on site", I mean users too. We're talking a figurative shack that they use to log on, several hours drive from the nearest city.

You guys ever had to manage ICT equipment in a remote site that you can't even find out who uses it or is affected by potential outages? Weeks of emailing and calling around till eventually we just say "gently caress it" and find out when someone visits a month later and then calls the help desk.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I asked for it last week and just received a promotion to Senior Network Engineer (fancy title for top of the engineering food chain before the VP). Goes into effect next Monday, 6 years to the day after starting with my company (an MSP) on tier 1 helpdesk, then moving to Network Engineer which is basically a field tech, then getting pushed to be more of a project engineer (by refusing to do normal weekly on-site visits, I'd rather quit then do on-site helldesk). 90% of my work is on-prem Exchange to Office365 migrations for SMB clients. I mostly work from home but I did get a nice new office of my own along with the promotion so I'm in here more often now.

The promotion came with a 15% raise and basically no new responsibilities since my services have been sold by sales as "senior level" for the past two years. Also found out the stock shares I was given as part of my very first bonus have increased 1000% in value since I received them, should be enough for getting into a house purchase in the next year or two!

All this stemmed from this very thread (or previous iterations) and reading about the "year of the job", it gave me the courage to get out of my dead-end night-shift machine-shop operator job, get some certs, and put my resume out there. Thanks, goons! :toot:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
This is a feel-good story I can get behind.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Coolnezzz posted:

I asked for it last week and just received a promotion to Senior Network Engineer (fancy title for top of the engineering food chain before the VP). Goes into effect next Monday, 6 years to the day after starting with my company (an MSP) on tier 1 helpdesk, then moving to Network Engineer which is basically a field tech, then getting pushed to be more of a project engineer (by refusing to do normal weekly on-site visits, I'd rather quit then do on-site helldesk). 90% of my work is on-prem Exchange to Office365 migrations for SMB clients. I mostly work from home but I did get a nice new office of my own along with the promotion so I'm in here more often now.

The promotion came with a 15% raise and basically no new responsibilities since my services have been sold by sales as "senior level" for the past two years. Also found out the stock shares I was given as part of my very first bonus have increased 1000% in value since I received them, should be enough for getting into a house purchase in the next year or two!

All this stemmed from this very thread (or previous iterations) and reading about the "year of the job", it gave me the courage to get out of my dead-end night-shift machine-shop operator job, get some certs, and put my resume out there. Thanks, goons! :toot:

:glomp:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

If you have a reasonable SRE/automation skillset, AngelList is a good place to watch. You can also find some decent curated lists like this one, and a lot of the Slack orgs like the Rands Leadership Slack have channels dedicated to remote work.

Define reasonable. Day job is 80% Windows Sysadmin, and while I do a fair amount of automation and integration work in Powershell and Python I have very minimal(lab vm's only) experience with stuff like Chef/Ansible.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Congratulations! Such success!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Coolnezzz posted:

I Also found out the stock shares I was given as part of my very first bonus have increased 1000% in value since I received them, should be enough for getting into a house purchase in the next year or two!

If this is a private company can you actually sell the shares? If you can’t sell they’re not worth poo poo. I “owned” private company shares and options for years that were worth money on paper, but if you can’t sell, they’re basically worthless.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

skipdogg posted:

If this is a private company can you actually sell the shares? If you can’t sell they’re not worth poo poo. I “owned” private company shares and options for years that were worth money on paper, but if you can’t sell, they’re basically worthless.

Supposedly they do purchases in a window once a year, I haven't actually talked to anyone about it yet so who knows, I have no idea how this stuff works! I totally forgot I even had it until my boss mentioned that it may be worth quite a bit now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Figure out the details. Stock grants, options, etc all have different rules. Especially your vesting schedule if there is one.

I eventually cleared about 20k back in the day, but we had to wait for the company to get bought for a liquidity event to happen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, getting an initial phone screen for a position that would be a raise over what I was making before, plus WFH. Here’s hoping.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Hey friends, I have a question.

We've got a VM in azure that certain users need to access via RDP when they're traveling at times.

Right now I limit access via azure firewall rules to the source IPs from our main offices.

Is there a way to limit RDP via a different method other than source IP?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

Hey friends, I have a question.

We've got a VM in azure that certain users need to access via RDP when they're traveling at times.

Right now I limit access via azure firewall rules to the source IPs from our main offices.

Is there a way to limit RDP via a different method other than source IP?

You can create a point to site VPN to azure for them to access the VM with.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

You can create a point to site VPN to azure for them to access the VM with.

Oh, duh. That makes sense.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use Azure application proxy to allow people to connect through an RD Gateway without having to open any inbound ports.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

Define reasonable. Day job is 80% Windows Sysadmin, and while I do a fair amount of automation and integration work in Powershell and Python I have very minimal(lab vm's only) experience with stuff like Chef/Ansible.
The market defines reasonable, friend :)

I'm not much of a Windows guy, so I'm afraid I can't be much help in terms of the marketability of Windows skills towards remote roles.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m thinking I need to pivot in a new career direction pretty soon. Cyber security is hot in San Antonio right now but I’m not sure if I’d be miserable or if I could tolerate it.

I’m a seasoned Windows guy, done lots of things, but AD is my specialty and I don’t really see any more career growth for me

Just rambling on a Wednesday night, thanks for reading

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I’m thinking I need to pivot in a new career direction pretty soon. Cyber security is hot in San Antonio right now but I’m not sure if I’d be miserable or if I could tolerate it.

I’m a seasoned Windows guy, done lots of things, but AD is my specialty and I don’t really see any more career growth for me

I had a pretty good run tracking from Windows web hosting sysadmin up through a dev-focused engineering director, but I fully intend for my next job (whenever that is) to be a product manager role

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

Are you talking about jungledisk? They make money but I wouldn’t call them innovators.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

This thread has been one of the single best resources in my life. I’d be lost with out SA I feel. Donate to SA people

Yeah, SA has helped me in everything from attitude to resumes. I just subscribed on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I was just nominated for employee of the year :unsmith:

I still haven't gotten back the 80 hours of vacation they stole from me.

I'm pretty sure the award will be given to you if you stop bringing it up....

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone know of any American grant programs or other non-profit resources that specifically fund budgets for IT jobs rather than software and hardware?

Trying to get this non-profit to hire me in a more permanent capacity because please, god, you need an IT person permanently on payroll, not just as-needed freelance work, but they keep saying the money isn't there. :sigh:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

Are you talking about jungledisk? They make money but I wouldn’t call them innovators.

Nah. Talking about the tons and tons of contract gigs for DoD and NSA, not to mention all the other big businesses hiring "cyber security" people.

I'm going through my 3rd acquisition and you never know what happens afterwards. I'll probably be fine, but I'm just feeling tapped out in the current career path. The only real serious opportunity to make more money is to go into consulting or management, neither of which I want to do. I'm a senior tier AD/MSFT guy and all the stuff that goes along with it (ADCS, ADFS, System Center, Auditing, Backups, etc), have done everything in the last 15 years from desktop support to large company migrations. I won't say guys like me are a dime a dozen, but there isn't a huge demand from what I've seen. Was just thinking it might be time to pivot from Sr MSFT guy to something else. I've done other things, Azure, AWS, SSO/SAML, VMware, Storage, and really enjoy identity management, but my main focus has always been all things AD related.

I've experience with auditors and audit frameworks and security concepts, but it's never been a primary job focus. I'm thinking about exploring a SSCP or CCSP or something like that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

skipdogg posted:

Nah. Talking about the tons and tons of contract gigs for DoD and NSA, not to mention all the other big businesses hiring "cyber security" people.

I'm going through my 3rd acquisition and you never know what happens afterwards. I'll probably be fine, but I'm just feeling tapped out in the current career path. The only real serious opportunity to make more money is to go into consulting or management, neither of which I want to do. I'm a senior tier AD/MSFT guy and all the stuff that goes along with it (ADCS, ADFS, System Center, Auditing, Backups, etc), have done everything in the last 15 years from desktop support to large company migrations. I won't say guys like me are a dime a dozen, but there isn't a huge demand from what I've seen. Was just thinking it might be time to pivot from Sr MSFT guy to something else. I've done other things, Azure, AWS, SSO/SAML, VMware, Storage, and really enjoy identity management, but my main focus has always been all things AD related.

I've experience with auditors and audit frameworks and security concepts, but it's never been a primary job focus. I'm thinking about exploring a SSCP or CCSP or something like that.

You and I sound the same. I have no interest in management because I like playing with the toys, not running reports all day. I''ve thought about consulting as well or maybe even training.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Take trainer off the board, most of them don't make much. There's an open position at one of the training places near me for a MSFT trainer and the pay is 52K a year.

I would love to do some consulting work for a place like Catapult Systems or doing AD migrations, or even as a PFE for MSFT, but I won't do that to the family right now. My focus is on the kids right now and I can't commit to the hours or travel needed to make it in the consulting world.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Does anyone know of any American grant programs or other non-profit resources that specifically fund budgets for IT jobs rather than software and hardware?

Trying to get this non-profit to hire me in a more permanent capacity because please, god, you need an IT person permanently on payroll, not just as-needed freelance work, but they keep saying the money isn't there. :sigh:
There will never be the money. Non-profits are full of nice people taking advantage of nice people. If you're not willing to suffer to work for them, forget it. If you want to do something altruistic, volunteer on the weekends while working a job that gets you healthcare.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

I'm pretty sure the award will be given to you if you stop bringing it up....

They made me an even better offer! The vacation is gone, but I'll get paid time and a half for any overtime I work for the next 3 months.
So... in exchange for a paycheck, I'll be treated the same as every other employee, but only for the next 3 months. Cool.

In actual IT related news: The entire team of people that I've been working with at Verizon to help get their Network Transformation project completed suddenly vanished. Like, government conspiracy levels of vanished.

Out new account manager 'suddenly became ill' and is no longer with the company.
Our old account manager who just handed everything over to the new one has mysteriously been 'disappeared to another dept, but is also completely unreachable'
The person who was supposed to be updating all the teams about everything hasn't responded to anyone in 2 weeks and is unreachable.
The last tech to come on site to do a site survey mysteriously vanished from the company without submitting his survey.

The only person in the entire conference call of like 12 people from Verizon sadly admitted that everyone is gone and even he, himself will be moved "to a different department very soon."
All I can think is I really hope that's not a euphemism for being executed or shipped off to Siberia or buried at Area 51 or some poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They made me an even better offer! The vacation is gone, but I'll get paid time and a half for any overtime I work for the next 3 months.
So... in exchange for a paycheck, I'll be treated the same as every other employee, but only for the next 3 months. Cool.

In actual IT related news: The entire team of people that I've been working with at Verizon to help get their Network Transformation project completed suddenly vanished. Like, government conspiracy levels of vanished.

Out new account manager 'suddenly became ill' and is no longer with the company.
Our old account manager who just handed everything over to the new one has mysteriously been 'disappeared to another dept, but is also completely unreachable'
The person who was supposed to be updating all the teams about everything hasn't responded to anyone in 2 weeks and is unreachable.
The last tech to come on site to do a site survey mysteriously vanished from the company without submitting his survey.

The only person in the entire conference call of like 12 people from Verizon sadly admitted that everyone is gone and even he, himself will be moved "to a different department very soon."
All I can think is I really hope that's not a euphemism for being executed or shipped off to Siberia or buried at Area 51 or some poo poo.

Find another job, then offer them two weeks to find someone to replace you.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:suspense:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Surprise outsource? Some kind of clause that prevents them from mentioning the imminent downgrade in service in order to receive severance?

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

There will never be the money. Non-profits are full of nice people taking advantage of nice people. If you're not willing to suffer to work for them, forget it. If you want to do something altruistic, volunteer on the weekends while working a job that gets you healthcare.

Yeah, I've already given them an ultimatum that they need to either hire me on permanently or I'm going to stop working for them, with a concrete deadline. I'm pretty sure they have no choice because I'm the only person who knows all their poo poo, everyone in the company loves me explicitly BECAUSE I fix all their poo poo and nobody else has any idea how to do it (I'm not being conceited, I am an extremely humble and insecure person - every time I get called in to do some poo poo, everyone is like "oh my god Irukandji Syndrome you're here!! we missed you!!" and hugging me - my workplace is basically a bunch of really sweet moms), and I'm all-around miles more competent than the last guy was.

Was just hoping I could somehow find a way to make it easier for them to do it (and give me more hours). :argh: Well, part-time is ideal for me right now, anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
As a US-ian, I'm curious about how common scenarios are paid (or not paid) for in other exotic lands. If you're outside the US, give the country and state if appropriate. Is the idea that employers should only be on the hook for 40 hours a week while employees are at their mercy uniquely American? No, this is not for a school project; I'm just curious how IT works when outside the wild west labor-lawless 'Murica zone.

For each scenario, I'm interested in the following:
- Are you hourly or salaried? Does "overtime exempt" exist? Are there restrictions on how many hours you can work in a day or week?
- Is this allowed? Perhaps you can't work more than 35 hours, or work can't call you off hours. Give detail.
- Is this time paid for?
- Is it overtime?
- Are the answers above because of "company policy", state, national law or other (eg EU rules)?

Scenarios:
1) Your manager is across an ocean, and likes to have 1:1s at 11pm your time.
2) Your org has teams in 3 continents. Daily status meeting is at 7am your time, which is roughly 4pm for the other primary team. Your job is theoretically 9-5.
3) You are 24/7 on call for 2 weeks. You get woken up about once a night, ranging from 15min to 3 hours. You must respond in as near to real time as possible, but can be anywhere that internet is available.
4) You work 9-5 M-F, but have 4 hour 11pm maintenance windows on 2 weekdays, and a 6 hour window on saturday starting at 7 pm.
5) You're working on a new Ansible deployment. Iterating the playbook configs and pushing new test jobs takes all day, and goes until about 9pm.

As for me:
- salaried, no hour limits, no overtime, no on call pay (though 2 of my 5 jobs in the past have paid a nominal extra flat rate bit for oncall shifts)
1) allowed, no pay
2) allowed, no pay
3) allowed, no pay
4) allowed, no pay
5) allowed, no pay (but this is the only one that's kind of fun and doesn't make me tear my hair out)

:effort: