Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I do love riding switch. How else do you do floaty BS 180's and glide away in style? Or drop switch BS 180's into a bowl off a cornice lip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
This. Down with the shorty swallowtails.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Moot . posted:

This. Down with the shorty swallowtails.

They are so very fun to ride, though. The float on my Bottom Feeder I bought this year is unreal. It's like skimming across butter.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If anyone's looking to buy new gear, there's a sitewide eBay coupon for 15% off if you use the app until 7pm PST tonight. Just snagged a new pair of Brahmas and 12.0 TPX bindings for $526. :woop:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

il serpente cosmico posted:

When I first started skateboarding and snowboarding I went through a period where I thought I might have been goofy, and before I really figured out how to ride I switched back and forth a bit. One day on the mountain, something just clicked in my brain and goofy just felt completely wrong to me.

I've known I'm goofy since forever because of skateboarding. I can barely skateboard switch and being switch on a skateboard makes me feel like I must go back to regular immediately or I'm gonna bail. Snowboarding switch used to make me feel the same but comin back this year, it doesn't and I don't know why. Skateboarding switch still feels wrong :confused:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Lol they tried to clear off the pow cam and there’s nowhere to put the snow.

They actually closed the schools today because people who live out on the mesas are basically just waiting the be dug out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
70 is already a poo poo show, I'm glad I left this morning. The snow in Frisco was thicc. Like snow in KC thick.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

They are so very fun to ride, though. The float on my Bottom Feeder I bought this year is unreal. It's like skimming across butter.

Full disclosure I have a sick stick that I love, which is basically the same thing without the swallow tail.

We just lost power during the middle of Texas spring break and if history is any indication it’ll be out for at least 24 hours :getin:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OniPanda posted:

I've known I'm goofy since forever because of skateboarding. I can barely skateboard switch and being switch on a skateboard makes me feel like I must go back to regular immediately or I'm gonna bail. Snowboarding switch used to make me feel the same but comin back this year, it doesn't and I don't know why. Skateboarding switch still feels wrong :confused:

You can always do the thing where someone pushes you from behind and see which foot comes foward. I've been goofy forever even though I'm right handed and bat right handed. But it manifests in other areas. My track blocks were opposite the other runners. Boxing southpaw feels more natural. Skating, wakeboarding, surfing all goofy. Shooting layups is weirdly easier with my left hand so I can jump off my right foot.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Full disclosure I have a sick stick that I love, which is basically the same thing without the swallow tail.

We just lost power during the middle of Texas spring break and if history is any indication it’ll be out for at least 24 hours :getin:

FYI, not my fault.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Towards Aspen and even Vail it's not really bad, but there's already a foot of snow on the divide. Hope nobody needs to go between Denver and the mountains for the next little while

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Towards Aspen and even Vail it's not really bad, but there's already a foot of snow on the divide. Hope nobody needs to go between Denver and the mountains for the next little while

I really am glad I left this morning. It was already pretty dicey before the majority of snow had fallen. 70 was already shut down just past Idaho Spgs and they were forcing people off at 6.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

kiimo posted:

You can always do the thing where someone pushes you from behind and see which foot comes foward. I've been goofy forever even though I'm right handed and bat right handed. But it manifests in other areas. My track blocks were opposite the other runners. Boxing southpaw feels more natural. Skating, wakeboarding, surfing all goofy. Shooting layups is weirdly easier with my left hand so I can jump off my right foot.

I've already been snowboarding for years goofy with it being natural. It's not that I'm not goofy, it's that switch isn't so bad after a long break.

I honestly think it also has to do with the conditions. I'm used to snowboarding on hard pack/ice, and being switch felt super unstable and a recipe for eating poo poo. The snow here has been way better, and it doesn't feel like I'm gonna catch an edge the second I go switch

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestions for Amazon-Magnetic-Lens-Goggle level/price Goggles for my wife, with a very small face/head? They seem SICK for the price so far for me, but for her are much too large. Rainbow mirror lens option a plus.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

FYI, not my fault.

That sounds like something someone whose fault it is would say.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

FYI, not my fault.

They got it back on somehow. Also, my friend Connor has the topsheet of the year:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://www.outsideonline.com/2389964/ski-pass-epic-ikon

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Consider instead the Mt Bohemia season pass. Yes, you can only use it for limited days at select mom & pop hills, and yes your money is going to a rich failson who is a jerk and won't use it to fix his drat lifts, but it's only $120, those places are rad, they have 0% overlap with Vail/Ikon/Mtn. Collective, you'll never stand in a lift line, and you get your money's worth in less than two ski days no matter where you use it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Consider instead the Mt Bohemia season pass. Yes, you can only use it for limited days at select mom & pop hills, and yes your money is going to a rich failson who is a jerk and won't use it to fix his drat lifts, but it's only $120, those places are rad, they have 0% overlap with Vail/Ikon/Mtn. Collective, you'll never stand in a lift line, and you get your money's worth in less than two ski days no matter where you use it.

Buying a season pass to Bohemia could be a good idea even if you live nowhere near it honestly. I think you can buy it online now. When I was in school up there the sale was one day and only in person at down wind sports in Houghton.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So how should I plan to ski Colorado next year help

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

So how should I plan to ski Colorado next year help

How often will you go? How much do you want to spend? Any desire to travel? Starting in the mountains or day trips? Ski level and progression goals?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What avalanches can do to power lines....

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs/obs_report.php?obs_id=55557

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

How often will you go? How much do you want to spend? Any desire to travel? Starting in the mountains or day trips? Ski level and progression goals?

1-2x a month. Don't really care. Not really, probably, at least this year. Day trips with occasional overnights. Beginner who gets way too into new things.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread.

But I wish I was skiing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Wrong thread.

But I wish I was skiing.

Deep down, isn't this true of all the other threads?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Deep down, isn't this true of all the other threads?

Well my original post was 'I am currently eating a prescription milkshake'.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Well my original post was 'I am currently eating a prescription milkshake'.

is this like a fancy Ensure?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ShaneB posted:

is this like a fancy Ensure?

No, it was just a regular milkshake from McDonalds.

But I was ordered it eat it by my dentist after I got bone grafts today on my upper jaw so I can get an implant supported denture later.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
is that going to negatively affect your skiing this year?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SeaborneClink posted:

is that going to negatively affect your skiing this year?

Well, I'm done for the season anyway, so no.

But if wasn't done, it would have stopped me for skiing for a couple of weeks before I can really do any exercise.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

TMMadman posted:

No, it was just a regular milkshake from McDonalds.

But I was ordered it eat it by my dentist after I got bone grafts today on my upper jaw so I can get an implant supported denture later.

Sweet, I have 9 dental implants and the last two needed upper bone grafts. The best part was that after the surgeries, I could occasionally get what felt like phlegm out of my sinuses (I'm sure your doctor told you not to create vacuums and large pressure changes while you're healing), but when I spit it out it was actually coagulated blood and ground up pieces of bone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sweet, I have 9 dental implants and the last two needed upper bone grafts. The best part was that after the surgeries, I could occasionally get what felt like phlegm out of my sinuses (I'm sure your doctor told you not to create vacuums and large pressure changes while you're healing), but when I spit it out it was actually coagulated blood and ground up pieces of bone.

Take it to goons with spoons ok

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Wife’s birthday today so we went to the highest wine bar in the country for complementary champagne and then skied thigh deep powder in the secret stash right underneath the deck pictured here. Today was superb, even though I got clipped from behind by some idiot during a rope drop.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

1-2x a month. Don't really care. Not really, probably, at least this year. Day trips with occasional overnights. Beginner who gets way too into new things.

I would probably consider just going with a Loveland or winter Park pass. Not sure an epic local or ikon will be worth it. You spent this year at Loveland though I think. If you are mostly day tripping I would rather go over brethoud pass than through the tunnels.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

After not skiing all of February for silly non-reasons, this week has been primo in Little Cottonwood Canyon

It was supposed to stop snowing at like 4am this morning, but it snowed most of the day after 18”+ the previous 24 hours

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I would probably consider just going with a Loveland or winter Park pass. Not sure an epic local or ikon will be worth it. You spent this year at Loveland though I think. If you are mostly day tripping I would rather go over brethoud pass than through the tunnels.

What makes the big ones worth it you think? Also I definitely won't exhaust Loveland this year at all and it's easy to get to so that's a draw. My buddy goes to a basin all the time though, so there is that.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

bawfuls posted:

After not skiing all of February for silly non-reasons, this week has been primo in Little Cottonwood Canyon

It was supposed to stop snowing at like 4am this morning, but it snowed most of the day after 18”+ the previous 24 hours

Yeah man. I was told today we’re 10” away from setting a record since telluride has been a ski resort. Hell of a time to be alive in the mountains of Colorado.

e: bonus shot of my wife in a powder pit. Her new name is K-hole

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 15, 2019

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For European ski goons thought I'd mention the Magic Pass went on sale this week. 400Fr covers 30 resorts in western Switzerland including Crans-Montana, Saas-Fee, les diablerets etc for next season.

Doesn't include Verbs or Zermatt and some of the places are really small but I think it's a good deal.

https://www.magicpass.ch/fr/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Interesting article about the (lack) of skier impact at telluride from epic pass holders. Although they are positively impacting the community, depending on what you consider positive.

https://www.telluridenews.com/the_watch/news/article_b88f0dde-45e6-11e9-b310-632b022ea21d.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Interesting article about the (lack) of skier impact at telluride from epic pass holders. Although they are positively impacting the community, depending on what you consider positive.

https://www.telluridenews.com/the_watch/news/article_b88f0dde-45e6-11e9-b310-632b022ea21d.html

Interesting. I wondered if the numbers would back up what everybody is bitching about, and they clearly don’t. Makes sense. I’ve talked to a lot of people who’ve been coming in from Durango and other places in the area this year because of the snow but outside of the holiday weekends it’s just too long of a drive for the front range crowd I think.