Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

On average it will be rare ues, this goes out the door in major metro areas or on the business side where we have a considerable amount of travelers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I JUST WANT ONE PHONE, WHY CAN'T I JUST PUT MY WORK EMAIL ON MY PERSONAL PHONE? GOSH!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
This is probably a stupid question but if I'm switching from an android to an iPhone, it's probably not just as simple as putting the old sim card in the new phone, correct?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seiyal posted:

This is probably a stupid question but if I'm switching from an android to an iPhone, it's probably not just as simple as putting the old sim card in the new phone, correct?

I’m pretty sure you can swap SIM cards from Android to iPhone. Where it gets weird is iPhone to Android. That’s when you have to make sure you turn off iMessage and all that stuff.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Skeezy posted:

I’m pretty sure you can swap SIM cards from Android to iPhone. Where it gets weird is iPhone to Android. That’s when you have to make sure you turn off iMessage and all that stuff.

Yep, everything seemed to work just fine with that and I'm not importing anything to start either. So... hopefully that's a good sign. Now I just need to figure out what from Android I'll want to recreate on the iPhone (probably the keyboard swiping at minimum) and see how it goes from here! Thank you kindly for the advice, it was appreciated.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seiyal posted:

Yep, everything seemed to work just fine with that and I'm not importing anything to start either. So... hopefully that's a good sign. Now I just need to figure out what from Android I'll want to recreate on the iPhone (probably the keyboard swiping at minimum) and see how it goes from here! Thank you kindly for the advice, it was appreciated.

I think Gboard is the best option you have for getting swiping to work on iOS. There’s also Swiftkey but honestly all the third party keyboards on iOS kinda blow. Shame really, I’d love if they just put swipe gestures on the default keyboard.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The gboard spellchecker is bad and has the vocabulary of a 13 year old girl. Wordperfect DOS had a better spellchecker than most keyboards today. Seriously, WTF? I keep switching back and forth between gboard and swiftkey but both aggravate me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got an Android Pie update notification on my S9+ this morning, installing it now. :toot:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
So I have a weird one (maybe it's not weird)-

My stepmom has $50 unlimited data on her primary line. She has a second line that's a crappy Android tablet for $20 a month, but gets discounted to $10 a month. Her total bill for both is like $64. Would it be possible to take the SIM out of her tablet and put it in a hotspot without making any changes to her plans?

She's said she's had this plan for a long time but the pricing seems really peculiar to me. Neither one of the lines are 'senior' lines...the primary is listed as some national plan and the tablet is listed as a 2GB plan, but shows unlimited in her usage column. I don't get it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

2g high speed / unlimited throttled probably and the answer to your question re: hotspot is probably yes it will work.

i have a tablet sim in one of my phones right now and it works just dandy (it does not make calls however, but i dont need it to)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Is there a good hotspot I can get off ebay for her?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheWevel posted:

Is there a good hotspot I can get off ebay for her?

what kind of use are you trying to get out of it? any recent t-mobile phone, including the cheapos, should be able to run as a mobile hotspot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone else on Metro not get the monthly 'Time to pay your bill' text message anymore? I don't seem to get it ever since the T-Mobile takeover, and I keep getting cut off because I forget it doesn't come out automatically. Frustrating to find out the hard way, and missed a bunch of texts and a call this morning.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

T-Mobile bought metro almost 10 years ago so :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah sorry, I meant the kind of rebranding thing they did a few months and kind of incorporated Metro a bit more. Maybe just a coincidence it seemed to line up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question.

I really want to import the Galaxy S10e in Prism Green. Noticed it doesn’t have band 71 but it has the other T-Mo ones. How much would I be screwing myself without 71? Would the phone be fine signal-wise?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Skeezy posted:

Question.

I really want to import the Galaxy S10e in Prism Green. Noticed it doesn’t have band 71 but it has the other T-Mo ones. How much would I be screwing myself without 71? Would the phone be fine signal-wise?

Depends on where you live

Band 71/600 MHz isn't rolled out everywhere

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Depends on where you live

Band 71/600 MHz isn't rolled out everywhere

I don’t think it’s here in FL yet. I’m on 66 right now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Skeezy posted:

I don’t think it’s here in FL yet. I’m on 66 right now.

I have a full tower list somewhere but I am on the road right now. Our coverage is really good in Florida so I suspect you wouldn't have a problem. That being said I personally would never buy a phone without 600 MHz capability in 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

T-Mobile bought metro almost 10 years ago so :shrug:

I was going to be posting a “actually it was fairly recent,” response, but man, looking it up it was 2012, and while not 10 years, it’s close.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This is more a generic GSM question, but since I have T-mobile thought I'd start here as there isn't an obvious thread to put this. Does anyone have a mobile hotspot that they can recommend? T-mobile has one that they sell but it's got some pretty damning reviews. Amazon reviews on anything there are also very hit and miss. Looking to get something with a good enough battery, good reception (to itself, as well as to broadcast).

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

TraderStav posted:

This is more a generic GSM question, but since I have T-mobile thought I'd start here as there isn't an obvious thread to put this. Does anyone have a mobile hotspot that they can recommend? T-mobile has one that they sell but it's got some pretty damning reviews. Amazon reviews on anything there are also very hit and miss. Looking to get something with a good enough battery, good reception (to itself, as well as to broadcast).

Basically all modern smartphones can become hotspots, so the market for stand-alone hotspots sort of evaporated. Is there something specific you need from a stand-alone hotspot?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

plester1 posted:

Basically all modern smartphones can become hotspots, so the market for stand-alone hotspots sort of evaporated. Is there something specific you need from a stand-alone hotspot?

Three uses. Admittedly they're a hammer looking for a nail since I have two unused 6GB tablet lines for free.

1. When camping we set up an Echo at the site and have music (respectfully) streaming for our trip. Also nice to give WiFi to the kids tablets in the rare instances we let them use it while camping.
2. Keep in the car to provide WiFi for said kids as well as for car head unit functionality.
3. Occasional use with my laptop when I don't want to use my phone (least reasonable of them all)

So a $50-150 solution that is decent enough is all I really need since I already have the lines and won't be paying extra.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Just get a budget phone or tablet to use as a hotspot then? It's not like you care much about the specs if it's not going to be running apps.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

isndl posted:

Just get a budget phone or tablet to use as a hotspot then? It's not like you care much about the specs if it's not going to be running apps.

Not a terrible idea, didn't know if the pucks were better at distributing it or not. Thanks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Not a terrible idea, didn't know if the pucks were better at distributing it or not. Thanks

They can be more useful in that you just turn them on and they work. Overall should be a similar experience either way. If it’s a really really crappy phone, it may jus tolerate slowly and piss you off that way.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm on a legacy Simple Choice w/ unlimited data plan. I'm a little more married than when I signed up, and we're looking at consolidating phone plans. That'd mean ditching this for a new T-Mobile One plan. Am I crazy, or is this the rare case where upgrading to a newer plan doesn't really lose me much?

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I'd lose the 5GB of tethering at 4G and streaming at HD, but gain the Netflix subscription? And I can get HD streaming and high speed tethering back with the One Plus add-on? (Also I can add that to just one line, right?)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
One plus can be added to just one line.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Boxman posted:

I'm on a legacy Simple Choice w/ unlimited data plan. I'm a little more married than when I signed up, and we're looking at consolidating phone plans. That'd mean ditching this for a new T-Mobile One plan. Am I crazy, or is this the rare case where upgrading to a newer plan doesn't really lose me much?

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I'd lose the 5GB of tethering at 4G and streaming at HD, but gain the Netflix subscription? And I can get HD streaming and high speed tethering back with the One Plus add-on? (Also I can add that to just one line, right?)

You should get off simple choice and take TMobile one

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Just a heads up, T-Mobile One Amplified is a thing that exists. It's not advertised since you qualify based on your employer/school and that list is not published anywhere. I found out by seeing a flyer on a bulletin board in my work building. I got it due to being affiliated with a school system and having the email address to go with it (that's how they verify you).

It's basically T-Mobile One Plus but for the regular T-Mobile One price. I was already on T-Mobile One, so I gave them a call saying that I saw a flyer and they sent me a verification email and changed my entire account (multiple lines) to the Amplified status.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Is amplified any better than One with 4 lines and hookup pricing?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Excluding any free line promos you have your monthly bill with autopay and 4 lines is 160,iirc hookup is 20% off, totalling $32 discounted

If the other deal is One Plus for 4 lines included it would be "worth" more to have that... If you need those specific features, largely, 20gb hot spot being the big selling point.

Worf fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 25, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Anybody else not getting the MLB TV offer today in their accounts?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Astro7x posted:

Anybody else not getting the MLB TV offer today in their accounts?

I am in the T-Mobile Tuesday app

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did some googling.

If it’s not showing up on the app for iOS users, try the web site

https://t-mo.io/2l5tnQY

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Did some googling.

Thanks, that worked for me (also didn’t show up in iOS)

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Astro7x posted:

Did some googling.

Thanks! Couldn't figure out why my dad wasn't seeing the offer and thought they may have run out of a limited supply or something.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I am surprised every year they run this special because it’s too good to be true. One day they will stop and I’ll be sad.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am surprised every year they run this special because it’s too good to be true. One day they will stop and I’ll be sad.

not before we buy sprint and have to maintain the appearance of being competitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

TheManWithNoName posted:

They renewed their MLB deal earlier this month so I’d be expecting 3 more years

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/03/19/mlb-t-mobile-extend-sponsorship-agreement-free-mlb-tv-for-new-subs/#511168f3559e