Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Coffee And Pie posted:

I feel like Robert Downey Jr would be a good Vincent Price type

I like RDJ but I can't see this really.

I'm not sure who today I'd call a Vincent Price-type... there isn't a lot of call for that sort of performance anymore. Keith David maybe? He's got a great voice and can ham it up when needed (like in Tales From the Hood 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You can't really call someone a Vincent Price type because Vincent Price was Vincent Price

Some dudes are so talented as to be irreplaceable

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can't really call someone a Vincent Price type because Vincent Price was Vincent Price

:hmmyes:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i love that everyone has a different favorite Vincent Price movie. Even just picking among those four you got a range of responses.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Very true.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i love that everyone has a different favorite Vincent Price movie. Even just picking among those four you got a range of responses.

I think my favorite price movie is Masque, but I think my favorite with him in it is The Tingler (one of the greatest movies of all time)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Tingler is so good, I watched it a few Octobers ago and it was my favorite new discovery of the marathon. Just really fun all the way through and a great showcase for Price being Price.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I completely forgot until my recent rewatch about the part in The Tingler where Vincent Price drops acid and freaks out at a skeleton. Pure cinema.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m fond of the part in The Pit and the Pendulum where he’s mincing around all evilly.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Price really changed his mind on the whole thing once he actually saw the film though, and admitted that Reeves had been right.

Sure and he was correct to do so but that still doesn't undo the fact that it's the least Price-like Price performance, which is a (subjectively) bad thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nothing wrong with having range.

You wanna see Vincent Price really out of his usual zone, check out The Baron of Arizona. As far as I know, his only western. It's dope.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Geoffrey Rush doing a counterfeit Vincent Price in the House On Haunted Hill remake is still my favorite performance of his

It’s a hell of a testament that it comes off so endearing instead of just like a bad snl sketch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I adore Vincent Price in all of his roles. Even the lovely movies. The man knew how to live it up.

He also had this amazing ability to be both the hero of the film AND ALSO THE MAIN VILLAIN and it was so beautiful. Even when he wasn't literally pulling double duty as two different characters, some times he'd STILL find a way to be both the hero and villain all at once.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody here seen Confessions of an Opium Eater? It's a pretty wild Vincent Price vehicle from the early 60s that does a great job of imitating a fever dream.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Price is one of the few actors I can think of that will get me to watch a film sight unseen just on virtue of the fact that I know if he’s in it I’m going to get something out of it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone have his cookbooks? I keep meaning to get a copy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Anybody here seen Confessions of an Opium Eater? It's a pretty wild Vincent Price vehicle from the early 60s that does a great job of imitating a fever dream.

No but I’ve been meaning to since I found out about it a month or two ago, I love De Quincey and the idea of casting Price as him in a thriller is insane

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Raven is a really fun hammy Price movie. The climax is basically Price and Karloff making jazz hands at each other for 10 minutes.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Blast Fantasto posted:

The Raven is a really fun hammy Price movie. The climax is basically Price and Karloff making jazz hands at each other for 10 minutes.

Hell yeah, I love this one. Peter Lorre is great in it too! At one point Lorre gets turned into strawberry jam.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I completely forgot until my recent rewatch about the part in The Tingler where Vincent Price drops acid and freaks out at a skeleton. Pure cinema.

I haven't seen The Tingler and this post realllly makes me want to watch it tonight

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I actually really like The Last Man on Earth. I feel it's one of his greatest roles.

Go to though has to be Phibes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Talent aside, he had one hell of a voice that was perfect for that eerie black and white horror film vibe. It's perfection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

I actually really like The Last Man on Earth. I feel it's one of his greatest roles.

:same: :hfive: :same: :hfive: :same: :hfive:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Is Life a horror film? I just watched that and it was a bit scary. You'll never guess what trailer Netflix showed me after life though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really can't think of anyone who'd be a modern version. Vincent Price is one of a kind.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Is Life a horror film? I just watched that and it was a bit scary. You'll never guess what trailer Netflix showed me after life though.

Sci fi horror but not a real good one. Creature design is stupid as hell IMO.

Mitoboru
Mar 2, 2016

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Haha, yeah, I feel now like I'm asking people to pick their favorite child...

Masque was a delight, I loved the colors in it. Feels like I could capture a lot of shots but limited myself to just a few

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The DP on Masque was Nicolas Roeg, which explains why it looks so terrific.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

What's funny about Geoffrey Rush doing Price in the Haunted Hill remake is that Rush was actually trying to do John Waters.

As for my favorite Price, it's either Masque or The Mad Magician. He's good in the non-Horror stuff as well like Dragonwyck and Laura.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Sci fi horror but not a real good one. Creature design is stupid as hell IMO.

Agree with that. I love the moment in monster films where an underwhelming original design is then revealed to be a smaller rendition of something far more awesome. In Tremors it's the reveal that the Snake like things are merely the tongues of the Graboid, Alien does it multiple times to great effect (though I would hesitate to call any of the forms of the Alien to be underwhelming really) but with Life I kept expecting that moment to happen and the monster to eventually turn into something really great, but it kind of gets to the point of being a carnivorous neckerchief and doesn't really evolve beyond that, which was disappointing, at least to me

Karloff fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 15, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Someone described Life to me as Deep Blue Sea in space and man, I think I was gonna be let down no matter what.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Wilhelm Scream posted:

What's funny about Geoffrey Rush doing Price in the Haunted Hill remake is that Rush was actually trying to do John Waters.

As for my favorite Price, it's either Masque or The Mad Magician. He's good in the non-Horror stuff as well like Dragonwyck and Laura.

Price's non-horror stuff is incredible. He's definitely one of my top all time faves when it comes to genre actors. Someday I hope to snag one of his cookbooks. And as far as favorite Price films, I can't really pick one or a few, they're all good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's how picking a best Price movie goes

"He's super good in X, Y, Z and OH RIGHT ALSO A! Here's why"

Some time later

"I FORGOT ABOUT C, D AND PHIBES!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Only the first one, though. The sequel kind of sucks, and is only worth watching for Price.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite Price anecdote is that he was the guest of honor at the grand opening of my local mall in 1971

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Speaking of Nicolas Roeg, did anyone see his sole movie from the 2000's, "Puffball: The Devil's Eyeball"? I'd never heard of it and just watched the trailer and it looks like a good spooky witchcraft thing, but the imdb rating is quite low. The very few reviews I've read are from obscure sites, and they're mixed, but for the most part nobody's seemed to have watched the drat thing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I just got out of Climax and I gotta say, it's really god drat good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Speaking of Nicolas Roeg, did anyone see his sole movie from the 2000's, "Puffball: The Devil's Eyeball"? I'd never heard of it and just watched the trailer and it looks like a good spooky witchcraft thing, but the imdb rating is quite low. The very few reviews I've read are from obscure sites, and they're mixed, but for the most part nobody's seemed to have watched the drat thing.

I've been meaning to check that out for a few years actually, I love Don't Look Now and also Walkabout. If you watch it definitely report back.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

Here's how picking a best Price movie goes

"He's super good in X, Y, Z and OH RIGHT ALSO A! Here's why"

Some time later

"I FORGOT ABOUT C, D AND PHIBES!"

I want to laugh at this but I can't. When I wrote my earlier post I was originally going to list some top faves but I ended up with a list a paragraph long and still thought of adding a few more.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

He has a baller turn in Alfred Hitchcock Presents too. Its shocking to be reminded just how massive and imposing he could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched Dolls for the first time since finally seeing a few Puppetmaster films this past year, and yea I definitely have to agree that Dolls is better than any of them. Not that I'm the most unbiased person around when it comes to Gordon, but the level of craft in all aspects really elevates it above anything Full Moon has done.