Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Subjunctive posted:

Gonna link them or what?
I got these, but if you click around there are a bunch of options with those features. The only other feature I can think of that I'd want is the little spout.

It all depends on the way you use them. Someone wants a dozen cheap plain bowls to basically use as disposable, and that's what works for them; I personally only need a few, I take care of stuff and keep it forever, and I love the silicone on the bottom. I wouldn't recommend mine to people who dgaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Azuth0667 posted:

Any suggestions for glass meal prep containers? I found some oxo's that look good but, I don't want round ones and I don't need the tiny 4 oz containers.

GLASSLOCK

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Anne Whateley posted:

I got these, but if you click around there are a bunch of options with those features. The only other feature I can think of that I'd want is the little spout.

It all depends on the way you use them. Someone wants a dozen cheap plain bowls to basically use as disposable, and that's what works for them; I personally only need a few, I take care of stuff and keep it forever, and I love the silicone on the bottom. I wouldn't recommend mine to people who dgaf

I have a set of those from Costco. Only difference I can see is black instead of red.

Far prefer them to our plastic or glass bowls (slate floors, and I am kinda a dgaf cook). Seconding the silicone bottoms, especially for storing things in the fridge. Spouts would be nice, but my main criticism is that the snap on lids shrink over time. Otherwise the sooner our plastic bowls die and free up space in the cupboard the better.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've never understood the silicone rings on mixing bowls, but I just realized I always hold my bowls off the counter whenever I'm mixing in them. Weird.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sextro posted:

I've never understood the silicone rings on mixing bowls, but I just realized I always hold my bowls off the counter whenever I'm mixing in them. Weird.

So you don't knock them over if you mix something and set it down for a bit.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have experience with carbon steel pans? I got a lodge one but there seems to be a lot of pore space in the metal and I'm wondering if a different brand would have a more smooth finish

Also what is the best way to season one?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Re, mixing bowls. I got a set of Martha Stewart bowls with rubber bottoms as a gift that suck. It's hard to explain, but like the steel is so thin that the small flat bottom can flex and 'pop' when set down. This is actually strong enough to occasionally eject fluid/solids from the bowl when there is a small enough amount. Like those little toy rubber poppers, if you know what those are. So I got a couple from crate and barrel that are great, but probably a tiny bit on the expensive side, but not unreasonable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone have experience with carbon steel pans? I got a lodge one but there seems to be a lot of pore space in the metal and I'm wondering if a different brand would have a more smooth finish

usually they're machine finished. I get some m* brand. You're probably seeing the protective coating applied at the factory.

Scrub away the coating. Season with very high heat, paper towel, oil. You'll find articles saying use oil potatoes and salt but eh.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

usually they're machine finished. I get some m* brand. You're probably seeing the protective coating applied at the factory.

Scrub away the coating. Season with very high heat, paper towel, oil. You'll find articles saying use oil potatoes and salt but eh.

I cleaned it for awhile, and then I actually sanded it down and there are still large pore spaces. I feel like lodge should stick to cast iron!

I did order a different pan from Amazon as well, and it appears much more smooth. Over time the lodge will fill in the holes, but that's going to take quite a while.

E: as a bit of a follow-up, the matfer pan I bought has really smooth steel on the inside, and the lodge is just... Rough. Maybe lodge doesn't machine it as smooth or it's cheaper steel, but I feel like the matfer will be way better. The lodge will probably be relegated to camping

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 16, 2019

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hi, is the Zoji rice cooker in the OP still the gold standard or should I be considering anything else? I'm not really interested in springing an additional $100 for induction heating but anything else below that in the micom range is fair game. Only really interested in making rice (mostly short grain and calrose white) on a regular basis. I also noticed the larger version is cheaper than the smaller one for some reason?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sleng Teng posted:

Hi, is the Zoji rice cooker in the OP still the gold standard or should I be considering anything else? I'm not really interested in springing an additional $100 for induction heating but anything else below that in the micom range is fair game. Only really interested in making rice (mostly short grain and calrose white) on a regular basis. I also noticed the larger version is cheaper than the smaller one for some reason?

I got this one a few months back and it's pretty incredible. Very easy to clean, and it makes perfect rice every time. Sometimes it goes on sale, and I got mine for around $150 I think.

It was well worth it. We have rice in there that my roommate made like 2 days ago and it's still hot and good. Rice often stays well enough to eat for a full week before it gets kinda dry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Don't leave rice in your rice maker for more than 24 hours

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, it depends doesn’t it? As long as it stays over 140° F

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

and, anyways, you could theoretically get lucky and grow the tasty kind of aspergillus

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Based on some reqs from this thread I replaced my decade old non-stick skillet and my missing stainless steel skillet. I picked up an all-clad stainless and then a 10" and 12" celaphon non-stick combo (on sale) from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

I cooked with the stainless tonight and it was exciting cooking on something that is actually supposed to form fond. I'm looking forward to making breakfast tomorrow with the new non-sticks.

All hail The Thread and its mighty wisdom!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Just make rice when you need it! it's not like you're saving money by trying to keep 20 cents of rice warm for 2+ days

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Just make rice when you need it! it's not like you're saving money by trying to keep 20 cents of rice warm for 2+ days

Having rice warm and ready when I get home from work starving is great.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Don't expensive rice cookers have timers? Just rinse your rice in the morning, toss it in the cooker with water and set the timer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

do you work a 48 hour shift

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

I got this one a few months back and it's pretty incredible. Very easy to clean, and it makes perfect rice every time. Sometimes it goes on sale, and I got mine for around $150 I think.

It was well worth it. We have rice in there that my roommate made like 2 days ago and it's still hot and good. Rice often stays well enough to eat for a full week before it gets kinda dry.

Thanks for the recommendation! The problem has solved itself though as a friend of mine learned I was looking for one and is offloading his barely used IH model at basically that price - not a bad deal I'd say. Can't wait to get on the Zoji train!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Verisimilidude posted:

Rice often stays well enough to eat for a full week before it gets kinda dry.

yikes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I got the Breville food processor and it owns. Its definitely not cost effective compared to what people are saying about the cuisinart but I also dont feel like I wasted money on it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I bought a Lodge last year and it's smooth, way smoother than their cast iron. I love it, that thing is nearly as nonstick as Teflon.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
For kitchen scales, I officially rescind my recommendation for the KD-8000. The Maestro has the same main 8kg scale, a pull-out 0.1g/200g scale, a removable display with a 10" cable, and all of the other features of the KD-8000, plus a neat feature that shows how close you are to overloading the scale, and it's only $10 more. It's also shorter!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm looking for grilling tool recommendations... my brother is getting a new rig for his birthday, and I'd like to pick up a spatula, a fork, whatever else seems useful.

I'm probably overthinking this (ie, just go get a Coleman set at the box store), but I've gotten so much useless grilling poo poo over the years that I figured I'd check.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm looking for grilling tool recommendations... my brother is getting a new rig for his birthday, and I'd like to pick up a spatula, a fork, whatever else seems useful.

I'm probably overthinking this (ie, just go get a Coleman set at the box store), but I've gotten so much useless grilling poo poo over the years that I figured I'd check.

Fork, tongues, spatula, brush. You don't really need anything fancy and a box set is probably overkill already.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Maybe pass on getting a wire brush, though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Canuck-Errant posted:

Maybe pass on getting a wire brush, though.

I never used one even before the news that the bristles could perforate the gut. :cry:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s new ones that use spirals. I might try that

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I got one of these things after reading about the bristles and it works pretty well https://smile.amazon.com/Woody-Nub-Grill-Scraper-Accessory/dp/B077V76FQP

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have one of those as well. Unfortunately it doesn't work terribly well for my akorn smoker because the grills have a lot of random cross bars.
Haven't choked on any strands of metal though!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nephzinho posted:

Fork, tongues, spatula, brush. You don't really need anything fancy and a box set is probably overkill already.

Yeah, get a brush, but not the wire kind...the scrunchy pad kind.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
Looking for a decent multi-blade mandolin under $50. My friends need one and prefer a hand guard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Personally I’d get a $35 benriner and a $10-15 cut proof glove

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

This man speaks powerful truths.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

Fish spatula also IMO for lighter/more delicate grilled poo poo that you want to keep in one piece.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

more specifically: get the w i d e one

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If anyone still needs a food processor, the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY in Brushed Stainless Steel is down to $136 on Amazon.

Sadly it’s too late for me. :negative:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For the next 7 hours and 37 minutes this Vitamix 5300 is $250 with a kotaku referral

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01688AFF...g=kotakuamzn-20

I got a refurb for $320 so I’m already jealous of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Recommend me the best wok