Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Okay well I got the chicken sitting in a brine of oregano , thyme, pepper, lemon in the fridge and I am gonna let that sit until tomorrow. I'll post some pics of how its done.

Thanks for the recommendations!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm a idiot fucker moron who has very little free time, so cooking and eating healthy is hard for me. I got a sous vide which makes cooking meat pretty easy but I find the prep kind of irritating and it's not really fast enough to use on nights where I only have a couple of hours of free time, plus I still have to put together the rest of the meals.

I got an instant pot or rather my brother is out buying it now(hopefully 6 qt is big enough), does anyone have any good recipes to start me off? preferably the kind where you can throw everything in at once and cook large batches for meal prep, such as beef stew and things like that?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm a idiot fucker moron who has very little free time, so cooking and eating healthy is hard for me. I got a sous vide which makes cooking meat pretty easy but I find the prep kind of irritating and it's not really fast enough to use on nights where I only have a couple of hours of free time, plus I still have to put together the rest of the meals.

I got an instant pot or rather my brother is out buying it now(hopefully 6 qt is big enough), does anyone have any good recipes to start me off? preferably the kind where you can throw everything in at once and cook large batches for meal prep, such as beef stew and things like that?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
holy poo poo beans are the best

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Ranter posted:

The hock takes those beans next level but if you feeling really indulgent throw some lard on top right before sealing it. It's game changing

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Ranter posted:

This is very true, and a good pot of pinto beans is a really handy thing to have around for poo poo like breakfast burritos and rice and basically anything else. I just made a genovese sauce in the instant pot and while it took a long time it didn’t take the normal 8-10 hours and was fantastic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Mother of god, uh i will post pics at some point but this is one of the tenderest chickens i've ever eaten.

My only complaint ws that I obviously put to much liquid in the pot and the potatoes were when i put then in not submerged but when i opened it they were submerged so i'll have to account for this next time.

I can believe how tender the chicken is.

The potatoes were almost liquidified so i may cook seperate from chicken next time because there is just no firmness to them.

So this is the chicken brined

Potatoes after browning

Chicken

Everything in the pot

And this is it done. So you can see waaaaaaaaaay to much liquid in this. I think I should have used half that amount. I've never cooked with a pressure cooker before so I'll have to adjust. Like its still totally eatable although a bit bitter because of the lemon juice which I fresh squeezed.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 4, 2019

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm seriously impressed by the instant pot. I put a pork shoulder in there for 40 minutes and it was so tender I couldn't even get it out without it shredding itself. I do need to marinate next time, slow cooking I was able to get away with letting it absorb while it cooked. I'm very excited I can cook stuff now in the 1-2 hours of free time after work and gym, and without a whole ton of poo poo to clean.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

My go to healthy and easy instant pot recipes are basically anything Indian. I stuck with recipes that focused on lentils or other beans, use ghee if it ever called for butter.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

beef stew and things like that?

My yummy beef stew,
1. Beef in chunks (flank steak works good. Or any cheap cut). Or, not in chunks, but then you have to roughly shred
2. Potatoes cut up
3.similarly cut up carrots
4. Like 500ml/3 cups of canned or puréed tomatoes, (passata in the uk)
5. Spoonful of tomato paste
6. G a r l i c
7. Tablespoon or two of chili powder, plus good sprinkle of black pepper.
8. 2 tablespoons each of nice herbs if you feel like it (dried basil or oregano, or bay leaves and thyme, don’t go nuts)
9. Beef stock cube, jelly pot, or other variety (if you hate these, just put in some salt)

Throw them in the pot. Do the pot for like... however many minutes (so meat is near fall apart but veg aren’t mush)

Near the end finely shred some White cabbage into thin, inch long pieces (like coleslaw). Mix that in when the pot is done. The crunch and pepperyness is nice. You can add more liquid, salt or seasonings here if you need.

When you serve up a bowl put a blob of sour cream in (don’t mix). So good!

It’s a nice rich stew, you can add other things like pearl barley, kidney beans or lentils, hearty veg, mushrooms, onions. it’s the tomato/garlic/seasonings base that makes most of the flavor. It is hard to do it wrong hence my vague instructions.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 5, 2019

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My pressure pot has become my favourite kitchen appliance, closely beating out my sous vide machine.

Tonight I chopped up some chicken breast, bacon, tomatoes, onion and carrots. Threw it in the pot, seared for a bit, added herbs and spices then cooked for 45 minutes. Total prep time was maybe 20 minutes, including searing. Waited and then out came this tasty af stew type thing that I will never replicate but tasted so drat good.

Then I used it to cook drat fine rice.

Should have got one of these years ago.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

NPR Journalizard posted:

My pressure pot has become my favourite kitchen appliance, closely beating out my sous vide machine.

Tonight I chopped up some chicken breast, bacon, tomatoes, onion and carrots. Threw it in the pot, seared for a bit, added herbs and spices then cooked for 45 minutes. Total prep time was maybe 20 minutes, including searing. Waited and then out came this tasty af stew type thing that I will never replicate but tasted so drat good.

Then I used it to cook drat fine rice.

Should have got one of these years ago.

If my rice cooker ever breaks I'm replacing it with another IP.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
don't be like my housemates putting broccoli in the IP.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ranter posted:

don't be like my housemates putting broccoli in the IP.

Why?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The broccoli-gruyere soup recipe in Modernist Cuisine at Home is a fun way to show off what a pressure cooker can do. You just have to be sure to serve it to six people as a starter because it's far too potent to be a main course.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I was trying to do a curry in my instant pot but I just kept getting the burn message. I emptied it twice and scraped it out and it just happened all over again. Never had this happen before and now ordering food because im going to let it cool and finish off tomorrow

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Whenever I have had that happen, I just open it up, stir and scrape anything on the bottom, and add a little more liquid. Seems to do the trick

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Broccoli doesn't need pressure cooking unless you're taking it to mushy overdone.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Because it becomes overcooked then the house stinks of farts. More than when they overcook it in a stovetop pan because they manage to fit way more into the IP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Making this tonight.

https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-southwestern-chicken-and-rice/

I tripled everything since it’s gonna be my food for the next 3 days and holy poo poo it smells legit good.

Can’t wait to try it.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

MarcusSA posted:

Making this tonight.

https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-southwestern-chicken-and-rice/

I tripled everything since it’s gonna be my food for the next 3 days and holy poo poo it smells legit good.

Can’t wait to try it.

Oh hey, that's my go-to "what the gently caress I'm in a rush what do I make" dinner! It's delicious. I love it.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Got my IP a little while back (thanks again for advice :)) but had a hellish work stretch so only just got around to taking it for a test-drive. Did the water test and everything was fine. So, with my big chicken wussiness about cooking bombs out of the way, I made the Thai Red Curry Beef from their site and it was great! My tough-rear end braising steak turned into tender deliciousness in a scarily short amount of time. Am excited to see what else this thing will do well.

gently caress the maniac who measures tomatoes by the pint though...

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have some stewing beef and want to make a beef stew or similar, I have potatoes, celery, onions, parsnips, beef broth etc. My beef is in the fridge thawing but it's about 2 lbs and I'm sort of planning on just going by ear on this - I assume just dredge it in seasoned flour, brown it as usual, throw the rest in and cook for 40 minutes at pressure with a natural release? I did get a rather nice bottle of wine so I'll replace some of the liquid with that.

Oh also they had some OK cremini mushrooms at the grocery store and like, beautiful Oyster mushrooms at a place next door - I am not a huge mushroom fan in the first place but I also kind of assume mushrooms would get destroyed in the IP. Are they worth including for umami or should I just put in a slug of fish sauce?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

angerbeet posted:

I have some stewing beef and want to make a beef stew or similar, I have potatoes, celery, onions, parsnips, beef broth etc. My beef is in the fridge thawing but it's about 2 lbs and I'm sort of planning on just going by ear on this - I assume just dredge it in seasoned flour, brown it as usual, throw the rest in and cook for 40 minutes at pressure with a natural release? I did get a rather nice bottle of wine so I'll replace some of the liquid with that.

Oh also they had some OK cremini mushrooms at the grocery store and like, beautiful Oyster mushrooms at a place next door - I am not a huge mushroom fan in the first place but I also kind of assume mushrooms would get destroyed in the IP. Are they worth including for umami or should I just put in a slug of fish sauce?

Consult the Kenji/Serious Eats recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html

Adding the veggies in batches is the way to go if you don't want them to turn to mush. Though I'd recommend finishing the veggies at a simmer instead of returning to pressure

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Seems doable but I'd need to get peas.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

angerbeet posted:

don't overthink it, just use what you've got. also, don't go too crazy on the parsnips in the first stage- I give it a couple inches off the fat end of a parsnip tops, and then add all the rest at the end, or the broth can get really overpoweringly parsnipy

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

poverty goat posted:

get really overpoweringly parsnipy

This seems a novel phrase

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

angerbeet posted:

Cooling tip, add frozen peas last, after the stew is done. The residual heat will cook them perfectly and the frozen peas will cool down the stew to eating temp.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
always keep peas in the freezer

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

Consult the Kenji/Serious Eats recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html

Adding the veggies in batches is the way to go if you don't want them to turn to mush. Though I'd recommend finishing the veggies at a simmer instead of returning to pressure

I made this last night, subbing parsnips for the potatoes and using a top sirloin roast instead of chuck in my 6-quart Instant Pot.

The small surface area of the bottom of the Instant Pot meant that I was browning the beef in batches, and that led to the fond getting quite dark once I was sauteing the mushrooms, so I deglazed in the middle of that. I also just removed the mushrooms before I added the carrots and pearl onions to maximize searing.

Also, I was using fish sauce instead of actual anchovies and using a blender felt like overkill, so I just whisked it with the stock, gelatin, tomato poop, soy sauce, and the Worcestershire in a bowl.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Making that super simple chicken stew tonight with chicken thighs, skin on or off do ya’ll figure?

Hoping to convert my wife who normally will never eat chicken thighs or legs or anything not dry rear end chicken breast that has been marinated to hell.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I wouldn't make that to convert someone to dark meat. But it you must take the skin off. Man that recipe was not the greatest. Pretty bland but I guess I can see the appeal of a simple recipe. My wife was all about chicken breasts as well until I made the serious chicken and chickpea Tikka masala. That's a good meal

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

The small surface area of the bottom of the Instant Pot meant that I was browning the beef in batches...

I had the same problem until somewhere here suggested using the pot on your stove to brown and then move it to the IP.

priznat posted:

... skin on or off do ya’ll figure?

I brown it and leave the skin on. It will fall off at the end but you can always toss it into a skillet and crisp it or leave it off. One time I put the skin uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry out then crisped it in a pan and added it to a sandwich. I actually stopped using my IP for chicken thighs though because it doesn't save much time over braising them on the stove.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I made this last night, subbing parsnips for the potatoes and using a top sirloin roast instead of chuck in my 6-quart Instant Pot.

The small surface area of the bottom of the Instant Pot meant that I was browning the beef in batches, and that led to the fond getting quite dark once I was sauteing the mushrooms, so I deglazed in the middle of that. I also just removed the mushrooms before I added the carrots and pearl onions to maximize searing.

Also, I was using fish sauce instead of actual anchovies and using a blender felt like overkill, so I just whisked it with the stock, gelatin, tomato poop, soy sauce, and the Worcestershire in a bowl.

I found the same thing with the 6qt instant pot. Make this once every 6 weeks or so when it's chilly out and have switched to doing all the searing/browning steps in a big pan on the range that can fit everything in one go, control the heat better and then just after the deglaze pour it into the IP. It is so much faster than working in batches with the IP. Makes slightly more dishes but that is a fair trade for being quicker.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

biggfoo posted:

have switched to doing all the searing/browning steps in a big pan on the range that can fit everything in one go, control the heat better and then just after the deglaze pour it into the IP.

:same:

the IP doesn't actually have enough juice to brown a few pounds of anything

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I made that columbian chicken stew and it was really good. So drat easy. Being a bit bland is good, it's perfect for kids who love bland stuff it's but not heavily salted or processed.

Chicken was perfect, just falling off the bone. Even my wife liked the thigh meat!

Surprising how much broth is created, glad I took the skins off.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If it's bland it needs more salt. You might be surprised how much salt it needs since you're not adding any stock or anything that has salt in it.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 12, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You could also take the broth out and reduce it on the stove. It takes forever in the Instant Pot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh it was the good kind of bland, ie palatable to young kids. The chicken in particular was fantastic for a 9 month old moving to solids, it shredded into nice small pieces that she could pick up and shovel in.

Would probably be good with added sauce too, some hot sauce or something for the grownups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mu Zeta posted:

You could also take the broth out and reduce it on the stove. It takes forever in the Instant Pot.

I see people say this but it seems to me like my 6-quart whatever gets up to a pretty good simmer in a few minutes?