Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wheeee posted:

I think I'm going to need to buy a TV, the Switch screen is really small for something like BOTW.

And is it normal for games to download slow as hell? BOTW took well over an hour to download 17GB, which is slow on my connection.

You can also hook it up to a computer monitor with HDMI in. I honestly don't know how the prices of TVs compare to monitors nowadays, but it's another option.

That looks really ugly and the trailer is bizarrelly edited. It looked and sounded like it had been stitched together, poorly, form other trailers. If that's real then they should fire whoever made it. If it's fake, it's a bad fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Computer posted:

what even is that game

A lot of things.

Third person action RPG with AI followers and climbing mechanics like Shadow of The Colossus.

There is some stuff that is never fully explained but it's so, SO much fun.

Rough but fun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I made my pawn or whatever they're called look like Shrek taking a poo poo and people summoned him all the time. It owned.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I made my pawn or whatever they're called look like Shrek taking a poo poo and people summoned him all the time. It owned.

Who was it here, maybe IdolNinja that made Undyne from Undertale.

She was constantly being summoned just because she looked cool.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Dragons Dogma is an ugly and janky game that's still fun as gently caress.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

I'm pissed that I got it on PC and played nothing else for a couple months.

Having it on the go would be perfect but there's nothing more I could get out of the game

Pick it up again. You'd be surprised.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Third person action RPG
that part (I think) I get

but it's also like... open world? what sort of structure does the game have?

depending on how well it runs on the Switch I'm interested

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

that part (I think) I get

but it's also like... open world? what sort of structure does the game have?

depending on how well it runs on the Switch I'm interested

It's super good. The quests/storyline isn't really that interesting but the combat is amazing and if you like dress-up RPGs you won't find a better one.
It's a big world, too. I don't think it would be unfair to call it skyrim-esque but with better combat and art direction(and depending on what you're in to arguably worse writing).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
e: wrong thread

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's super good. The quests/storyline isn't really that interesting but the combat is amazing and if you like dress-up RPGs you won't find a better one.

oh, that's my genre

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dragons dogma is legit good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
e: gently caress!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

oh, that's my genre

You are in for a hell of a treat

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the worst thing about dragon's dogma is that they cut the original opening song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not super far into it yet but Baba is You rules and anyone who likes puzzle games should acquire it post haste

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Im not super far into it yet but Baba is You rules and anyone who likes puzzle games should acquire it post haste

Agreed. If you like puzzle games in the slightest and don’t get Baba Is You, I am going to kick your rear end.

It’s keeping me from finishing Mario Rabbids which I also recently picked up, but it’s a good problem to have.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
dragons dongma is one of my favorite games and i will be happy to buy and play it for a fourth time

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I made a Baba is You thread since it seems popular in this and the Steam thread

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I got to level infinity in Dragon's Dogma on PC last year and I can't wait to do it again on Switch. It's one of my favourite games ever. I just wish NG+ had a difficulty/reward spike instead of being completely identical to NG. I already played on Hard Mode the first time around so I didn't really have anywhere to go after that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

Does Captain Toad actually have a 100% goal? I believe I got all the stuff in the main books, but the last book is missing a bunch of pages.

Yes, you need to do get all the diamonds and optional objectives to unlock everything. Pixel toads and level speed runs are just for their own sake.

---

Ugh I'm so stumped at the Baba level River-10 with the cog on the other side of hot water. This might be the first one I have to skip and come back to.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Last time I was lying

But okay

Goddamn I will download the loving game.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah Dragons Dogma is great, it feels like an old-school DnD campaign and a JRPG had a weird baby and tossed in a system where you create a pawn (basically a customized AI partner.) You can summon other players pawns into your game as well, giving it a pseduo-multiplayer feel. The plot is relatively linear but theres plenty of stuff between those hubs points to explore.

There's a post game that revolves around exploring a huge dungeon filled with increasingly hard bosses.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes, you need to do get all the diamonds and optional objectives to unlock everything. Pixel toads and level speed runs are just for their own sake.

Also, the final "Forever" level actually does have an end despite implying that it's infinite, and completing it unlocks a few more things.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It's rad that big rear end games like DD and BoTW can run on a handheld. I hope Nintendo sticks with the console/handheld hybrid idea for their next system. Once the tech matures enough that everything can stay at 1080 and 60fps it will be perfect.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Oh gently caress Google added switch controller support to chrome.

https://www.twitter.com/ow/status/1106175733842526208

poo poo is about to get real, please include gyro. Holy poo poo if they have a controller wrapper.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elderbean posted:

It's rad that big rear end games like DD and BoTW can run on a handheld. I hope Nintendo sticks with the console/handheld hybrid idea for their next system. Once the tech matures enough that everything can stay at 1080 and 60fps it will be perfect.

I remember DD made my 360 want to kill itself so if it gets a solid 30 FPS (and it looks like it does) that's pretty much sorcery in my book.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Elderbean posted:

It doesn't really work like that, as hardware becomes more powerful there's an expectation of better graphics, which eats up the extra processing power. Nintendo is pretty unique in their insistence that almost all of their games run at 60fps, and it's that dedication to the actual gameplay experience that makes Nintendo the best developer. Games like Zelda will probably continue the trend of sacrificing fps for larger game worlds and higher fidelity.

All the modern games that run like dogshit on PS4 and Xbone, like seriously sub-30fps is normal for a lot of titles to hit and people apparently have no standards, could run 60fps if people were willing to sacrifice on effects and details.

But the human eye can only see 30fps and anyway it's more cinematic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

But the human eye can only see 30fps and anyway it's more cinematic.

It's more that most people get used to it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dragon's Dogma loving rules and was criminally ignored in its time and makes Skyrim look like dogshit fight me

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Oh gently caress Google added switch controller support to chrome.

https://www.twitter.com/ow/status/1106175733842526208

poo poo is about to get real, please include gyro. Holy poo poo if they have a controller wrapper.

The problem is that Google can't be trusted to sustain a service which requires any level of actual human support or real-time performance SLAs. They'll drop it like a hot potato if they aren't making their 95% margins off the users' backs.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the journey begins! also it will not continue we will just rerun the beginning over and over on different platforms

Silver Falcon posted:

That looks really ugly and the trailer is bizarrelly edited. It looked and sounded like it had been stitched together, poorly, form other trailers. If that's real then they should fire whoever made it. If it's fake, it's a bad fake.

you do not deserve dragon's dogma and I hereby ban you from playing it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Your Computer posted:

what even is that game

A Monster Hunter that doesn't suck.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
What is the current consensus on using a screen protector? Necessary? Is the stand still scratching the screens? Does it fit with a screen protector on it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kramdar posted:

What is the current consensus on using a screen protector? Necessary? Is the stand still scratching the screens? Does it fit with a screen protector on it?

If you travel/got kids or a dog, get a screen protector and consider getting silicone grips/protectors too.
If you don't and only/mostly undock it at home, don't bother.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Mister Facetious posted:

If you travel/got kids or a dog, get a screen protector and consider getting silicone grips/protectors too.
If you don't and only/mostly undock it at home, don't bother.

What if no kids/several cat? But good to know it's not necessary if you're normally careful with your gadgets.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kramdar posted:

What if no kids/several cat? But good to know it's not necessary if you're normally careful with your gadgets.

As someone who fits that description, my naked launch day Switch has been fine so far.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I can think of a lot of ways you could still gently caress up a Switch's screen with no kids. What if you knock your cactus over onto it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kramdar posted:

My cat's old and only cares about lying on top of my phone/Apple magic trackpad because he wants allll the attention. :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Switch screen is plastic, if you care enough about the quality of the screen to ask that question get a tempered glass protector, they're cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Dragon's Dogma sounds cool. Is it similar to Dark Souls, or is it more like MonHun as someone posted here? I'm just worried I might never get to finish it because I love grinding poo poo.