Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Mr. Powers posted:

If you already have 15 different launchers/storefronts installed,

I don't. I will ignore most games if they require something other than Steam.

Mr. Powers posted:

E: Particularly when Epic is trying to shift more money towards the developers rather than keeping a massive chunk of revenue.

I would pay more to have the game on Steam. Instead I have to wait a year :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Magus42 posted:

Okay, this post was not directed at you, then. It was directed at the guy that listed off about 6 (non-exaggerated) different launchers/storefronts, and complained that installing Epic was just Too Many.

Magus42 posted:

And that's fine. I'm pretty sure many more people would be up in arms if it was $30 on Epic and $45 on Steam, and so it doesn't really change the situation much. I'm sure there are a lot of people in your shoes, though.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Magus42 posted:

To be honest I wouldn't be too sad. In a years time this game will be much more functional and stable thanks to our good friends who bought it on the Epic store.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So looking at footage of this game, I have to say that I'm fairly worried about how replayable it'll be. My big concern is that all of the machines thus far are fed by the equivalent of Factorio loaders, and almost all of them have one input and one output. There's not really much room for creativity there; with inserters you have the option of how many inserters to feed a machine with, how to structure your belts to get the inserters to pick stuff up and drop stuff off, etc. The Satisfactory loading is literally just Miner -> Smelter -> Storage/Crafter/whatever, and you just hook up a belt to do so.

Conveyor belts are also a bit disappointing - there's a lot you can do in Factorio with the belts being dual lane, and merging belts is both simple and incredibly useful. Satisfactory doesn't have either of those things, and belts are pretty much locked to going from an output to an input, so there's little room for cool shenanigans.

I do really like the graphics and the 3d space though. It's a very pretty game, and building 3d factories will be a lot of fun. I just don't see the actual mechanics of the factories as being that engaging at this point. They really need to have some sort of inserter equivalent or more flexibility with belts or something to make the game keep my interest beyond one play through. It also doesn't help that the first few tiers of crafting are so manual, and that early power generation is also manual.

The automatic trucks are also really cool, and I am looking forward to seeing how complex those logistics get - things like filters that control how many resources are delivered to each location are something that I expect to be higher up in the tech tree, and will make powering remote outposts easier when a truck can be routed around to drop off 50 coal at a time to each outpost.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

During the alpha I spent way, way, way more time messing with belts than I ever did in factorio. Mostly because seeing them clip through each other really annoyed me, but I'm also assuming that they'll eventually make belts invalidate each other's build zones.

Honestly the 3d adds a lot, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by how it got me changing how I think about factory design once I started making big, multi-floor factory

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Wait it's only a timed exclusive? It's coming to steam eventually? Perfect.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I love factorio, I was playing it last night in fact. But satisfactory definitely scratches the other 3d planning itch.

They seem to be doing right by the game, and with 8 total tiers of technology I assume, although I may be wrong, that there will be more flexibility and complexity as you get to those higher tiers.

I have to say though. Planning out your belts and location of your machines really adds another dimension, literally, to the problem solving and organizational aspects of building a factory. I'm really excited for trains more than anything else at this point.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looking at recipes during the weekend, I completely skipped over pretty much all of the walls and structural things because I thought why do we need walls there are no attacks so I ignored them. Watching a video after the fact shows how stupid that was.

I really wish I had gone and just built one of everything possible just to see what it did. Folks building so their factory is just floating up in the sky feels really hackney though

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ninjewtsu posted:

During the alpha I spent way, way, way more time messing with belts than I ever did in factorio. Mostly because seeing them clip through each other really annoyed me, but I'm also assuming that they'll eventually make belts invalidate each other's build zones.

Honestly the 3d adds a lot, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by how it got me changing how I think about factory design once I started making big, multi-floor factory

My point is that while the positioning of the belts is interesting, the belts themselves are not. Since you are limited to connecting inputs to outputs (with splitters/combiners as needed), you can't get up to nearly as many neat tricks with the belts as you can in Factorio.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Actually, ARE there attacks later on in the game, or do the walls just help with belt-walls and organization?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Magus42 posted:

I'm not familiar with the exact wording of the exclusivity contracts, but it's quite possible that the contract states exclusive one year from release which they've stated will be at least 1 year from early access starting.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The contractual exclusivity will end whenever, but that doesn't mean they will bring it to Steam. They were granted funding in exchange for the exclusivity, but they also get the larger share of sales. They have been explicitly non-committal about it returning to Steam after the exclusive period.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

My point is that while the positioning of the belts is interesting, the belts themselves are not. Since you are limited to connecting inputs to outputs (with splitters/combiners as needed), you can't get up to nearly as many neat tricks with the belts as you can in Factorio.

i'm saying that messing with belts is interesting, but in different ways from how messing with factorio belts is interesting.

satisfactory generally derives most of its complexity from organizing your factory in a 3d space. the systems and recipes and chains of products themselves are all pretty simple (the most complex thing you could make in the alpha was what, reinforced iron plates? so mine -> smelter -> 1 plate constructor and 1 rod constructor -> 1 nail constructor -> feed plates and nails into an assembler. compared to the process in factorio for making anything in the same ballpark as green science, that's nothing), but your buildings are huge and belts don't turn on a dime. splitters and mergers require an honestly massive amount of space if you want to chain them together to make balancers or anything of that nature, and come in input/outputs of 3, when most ratios in the game are 1:2 or 1:4. it's a different game, and it's placing its emphasis on different things.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Powers posted:

The contractual exclusivity will end whenever, but that doesn't mean they will bring it to Steam. They were granted funding in exchange for the exclusivity, but they also get the larger share of sales. They have been explicitly non-committal about it returning to Steam after the exclusive period.

Totally. They're on UE4 so the difference is even larger. Getting to keep 88% of your sale price instead of 65% is huge.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On the other hand, the Epic Launcher is (probably illegally) datamining your steam account and friends list.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Demiurge4 posted:

On the other hand, the Epic Launcher is (probably illegally) datamining your steam account and friends list.

That's a Feature, I thought? It lets you try to import your steam friends list when you first sign up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

That's a Feature, I thought? It lets you try to import your steam friends list when you first sign up.

But they do it in a way that seems suspicious (copy a file from the users steam installation that also contains all your games and playtime and (weakly) obfuscate that copy), instead of using the official Steam API to get the friends (like all other services).
And based on file creation dates, they already did that weeks before the "import your steam friends" feature was added to the launcher.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

BabelFish posted:

Totally. They're on UE4 so the difference is even larger. Getting to keep 88% of your sale price instead of 65% is huge.

Assuming you don't lose a lot of potential buyers due to only being available on a worse storefront, of course.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Assuming you don't lose a lot of potential buyers due to only being available on a worse storefront, of course.

That’s where guaranteed sales come in. If the epic store crashes and burns resulting in extremely low sales, this is better for the devs because when the year is up and they release on steam they get to sell to all the people who boycut epic.

For those out of the loop: A sales guarantee is where epic offers the studio a bag of money equivalent to X sales regardless of whether or not they sell any. The Phoenix point developer apparently got at least a million dollars, probably more.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah I don't think this game will *replace* Factorio but be a good companion to it. You can't do stuff like put two different items on one belt with inserters, but you can do stuff like stack conveyors five high on top of each other to create a thick vertical highway and mitigate horizontal clutter.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Speedball posted:

Yeah I don't think this game will *replace* Factorio but be a good companion to it. You can't do stuff like put two different items on one belt with inserters, but you can do stuff like stack conveyors five high on top of each other to create a thick vertical highway and mitigate horizontal clutter.

It scratches a different planning itch, and it does it well and in a pretty package.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm quite ready to waste some time in this game. I'll dive on that EA grenade on the Epic Store for those of us with more sense.

Satisfactory: The factory grows to meet the needs of the growing factory

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mr. Powers posted:

Okay, this post was not directed at you, then. It was directed at the guy that listed off about 6 (non-exaggerated) different launchers/storefronts, and complained that installing Epic was just Too Many.

That was me and I agree with it being unreasonable.

Can someone post something about research tier 4, 5 and 6 in spoiler tags? A general overview maybe.
A bit curious on what is actually in the EA.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dunno-Lars posted:

That was me and I agree with it being unreasonable.

Can someone post something about research tier 4, 5 and 6 in spoiler tags? A general overview maybe.
A bit curious on what is actually in the EA.

There's a wiki full of stuff. Far as I understand the higher tiers are even less nailed down than the lower ones, with a lot of things not yet implemented. Don't read too much into the hadron colliders and whatnot.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Someone mod inserters in tia

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Do we know what time it'll actually release at?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
5pm GMT.

What I'd like to know is if there might be any benefit to keeping the preview build installed to speed things up or if it'll be a full download again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Well, your save at least transfers, I believe

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
They answered most of the major early access questions here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0S19_caQuw

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, your save at least transfers, I believe

They transferred between the two alpha versions, so I'm sure they will

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The download gates are open.

E: 11.6 GB download, 18.7 GB installed.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 19, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Wait, there was no pre-loading? Epic, get it together.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holey moley, the improved xeno-zapper is a taser sword. And...rebar gun? Nice. Oh, there's a LOT more now than when I played the free weekend.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I was excited to actually play it myself, even if it was the same as the free weekend. But I was really hoping there would be new stuff for the EA launch. Sounds like that's the case. Pumped for this.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Was really looking forward to giving this a go but the Epic password reset has got my account data totally backwards and sent me emails with other peoples names and as living in Thailand.

Don't really feel secure putting payment details into something that shoddy.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Fellblade posted:

Was really looking forward to giving this a go but the Epic password reset has got my account data totally backwards and sent me emails with other peoples names and as living in Thailand.

Make a 2nd paypal acct, transfer some money into it, use that to pay. Use a separate email for everything with Epic and it, etc.

Anyone else try the desert start and figure out how to deal with the drat bees? They're more relentless than the hogs, harder to hit, and position themselves to just combo you to death.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Fellblade posted:

weird, this exact thing happened to me. i wonder if they didn't have email address verification early on or something and a bunch of scammers in thailand mass registered a ton of gmail accounts? :iiam:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Haha holy poo poo that's insanely bad

I'm still gonna buy the game because I'm a bad person supporting the worst excesses of capitalism but I'm definitely gonna pay the $5 disposable card tax

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Me and a buddy messed around with it for about 3 hours, built the spac elevator before we called it a night. This is a really fun game and I can't wait to play more.

Also it has TRAINS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Demiurge4 posted:

Me and a buddy messed around with it for about 3 hours, built the spac elevator before we called it a night. This is a really fun game and I can't wait to play more.

Also it has TRAINS!

I heard the trains aren't in yet. c/d?