Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
"You bastard!" still wins for me based on delivery alone. It's the kind of delivery your expect him to say when finding out who took the screws out of his desk chair or took the last chocolate bar out of the vending machine, not because a reanimated body got up and started stumbling towards him from across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm just sad that "what is up with that guy, that was a clean hit" didn't make it in again.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm just sad that "what is up with that guy, that was a clean hit" didn't make it in again.

:same:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I hear much hollering around the internet about "half the work is done" regarding a remake of RE3, but really, is it? One shared environment. ONE. Not only that, but it's cut down to a handful of loving rooms. Barely any of the RPD was re-used in RE3. Not even close to "half the work".
Counterpoint: The fact that the RPD was barely used in RE3 doesn't mean it couldn't get more use in a remake. Counter-counter point: The more you recycle, the more you need to remix it for it to still feel fresh. Like, it's fine to have a quick jog to the S.T.A.R.S. office where the player can go "I recognize this! :D" while maybe seeing Marvin do something before getting chased out of the RPD by Nemesis. Anything more though, you really need to spice things up a lot. Like actually having the player get involved with the defense of the RPD in a situation where it's still teeming with survivors - before Nemesis shows up and lures/lets a bunch of zombies in and everything just descends into mayhem. (Like a souped-up version of the jail sequence.)

e: Just to be clear, I agree, the RPD really can't be more than a small portion of RE3, even if you make it more prominent than it was in the original. The scenario I suggested above should be over pretty quick, more along the lines of the Sherry/Ada section in terms of length than anything else.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 14, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd be mostly interested in learning whether they plan to go full remake on an RE3 project or whether it's another "reimagining" like this one.

I'd hope for the former. RE3 seems like you could go ahead and open up the map, spread out its events, and reward a lot of exploration and backtracking.

In an absolutely perfect world, I'd want them to fill in the first few days of the outbreak and turn the whole thing into an RE4-length adventure, where Nemesis only shows up in the last few days.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wanderer posted:

In an absolutely perfect world, I'd want them to fill in the first few days of the outbreak and turn the whole thing into an RE4-length adventure, where Nemesis only shows up in the last few days.
Not sure how well it'd work, but it would be interesting to see a RE game that starts with everything being mostly fine, and then slowly descending into chaos. Can't really imagine what sort of gameplay you'd add to the mostly fine parts though, not to mention the lack of classic RE atmosphere in a functioning city. Can't really have the game start with half an hour of puzzle action with not a zombie in sight. "Jill sneaks around trying to find dirt on Irons/Umbrella" seems about as actiony as you can go before zombies show up, unless you add human enemies.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
If they do remake RE3 and do have Jill go to the RPD again, I really hope they keep in the inconsistency where Nemesis smashes through the window in the dark room hallway only for it to still be intact later in RE2. It adds to the mythology.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not sure how well it'd work, but it would be interesting to see a RE game that starts with everything being mostly fine, and then slowly descending into chaos. Can't really imagine what sort of gameplay you'd add to the mostly fine parts though, not to mention the lack of classic RE atmosphere in a functioning city. Can't really have the game start with half an hour of puzzle action with not a zombie in sight. "Jill sneaks around trying to find dirt on Irons/Umbrella" seems about as actiony as you can go before zombies show up, unless you add human enemies.

If you unlock Jill's Diary in the original RE3, it says that one of the reasons why she was still in the city at all was to try and break into Birkin's lab via the sewer entrance. You could do the tutorial in an above-ground, functioning Raccoon City, then Jill sneaks into the sewers via the same route Ada and Leon took, just in time to start running into zombies in the hours following Hunk's strike on Birkin.

Of course, at this point, I'm really just sharing a pointless fantasy, but you could get a pretty good game flow out of:
Raccoon, September 22nd, daytime -> Sewers, 23rd -> Streets (outbreak) -> Jill's apartment building -> Streets (outbreak)

Then from there, you go wherever you want and meet back up with the original plot on the 28th in the warehouse hideout.

(If survival horror games had a plug-and-play engine the way adventure games or visual novels do, I would probably already be making my own blatant RE knockoff.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bloodcider posted:

If they do remake RE3 and do have Jill go to the RPD again, I really hope they keep in the inconsistency where Nemesis smashes through the window in the dark room hallway only for it to still be intact later in RE2. It adds to the mythology.

Maybe Umbrella sent another Tyrant in to clean up a bit?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Convex posted:

Maybe Umbrella sent another Tyrant in to clean up a bit?

Nah, Marvin's zombie is still around and is still a dedicated enough cop that he goes around and fixes up the place.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Give me a Mr X mod where he's heavy set and wearing stained overalls please. He gets immediately summoned if a window is broken and tells you it's coming out of your security deposit.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I made it to the vine zombies, and I had forgotten about the whole fire killing them permanently thing. I had blown through almost all of my fire grenades prior to making it to the lab. Whoopsie. Luckily I have plenty of blue herbs for inevitable poisoning.

EDIT: A possible RE improvement: Instead of allowing heals in the pause menu, force players to equip healing items similar to the way you swap between secondary weapons, and then only allow their use in-game. This would be similar to the Estus flask in Dark Souls, and it'd make for a more tense experience. Getting knocked down and cornered would be frustrating, but it could be tuned.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 14, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bloodcider posted:

One of the rookie cops is a former expert glazier and fixed it right up.

Wanderer posted:

If you unlock Jill's Diary in the original RE3, it says that one of the reasons why she was still in the city at all was to try and break into Birkin's lab via the sewer entrance. You could do the tutorial in an above-ground, functioning Raccoon City, then Jill sneaks into the sewers via the same route Ada and Leon took, just in time to start running into zombies in the hours following Hunk's strike on Birkin.

Of course, at this point, I'm really just sharing a pointless fantasy, but you could get a pretty good game flow out of:
Raccoon, September 22nd, daytime -> Sewers, 23rd -> Streets (outbreak) -> Jill's apartment building -> Streets (outbreak)

Then from there, you go wherever you want and meet back up with the original plot on the 28th in the warehouse hideout.
Tutorial: Help gather supplies for Leon's wel(l)come party. Jill volunteers to go buy some more hats, and used the opportunity to dip into the sewers.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Claire A S+ cleared. Final time 1:59:04 and 30 ammo left in the minigun lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

il serpente cosmico posted:

I made it to the vine zombies, and I had forgotten about the whole fire killing them permanently thing. I had blown through almost all of my fire grenades prior to making it to the lab. Whoopsie. Luckily I have plenty of blue herbs for inevitable poisoning.

EDIT: A possible RE improvement: Instead of allowing heals in the pause menu, force players to equip healing items similar to the way you swap between secondary weapons, and then only allow their use in-game. This would be similar to the Estus flask in Dark Souls, and it'd make for a more tense experience. Getting knocked down and cornered would be frustrating, but it could be tuned.

The vines don't poison you, if you get grabbed by them you have to use a sub weapon or it's instant death. Fortunately there's no need to kill them, just pop a bulb to stun them and run on by.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Isn't that how it works in re6? Except also with a weird button combo you can do to combine pills and also a different one that chugs several pills at once because it's re6

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Party Boat posted:

The vines don't poison you, if you get grabbed by them you have to use a sub weapon or it's instant death. Fortunately there's no need to kill them, just pop a bulb to stun them and run on by.

Huh, for some reason I thought they did? I'll stay stocked up on knives and grenades and shock darts to make the area easier.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Isn't that how it works in re6? Except also with a weird button combo you can do to combine pills and also a different one that chugs several pills at once because it's re6

I'm not gonna lie: I never played RE6.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Huh, for some reason I thought they did? I'll stay stocked up on knives and grenades and shock darts to make the area easier.

They might've in the original RE2, but RE2R limits enemies that can poison you to just the big G spawns in the sewers. I guess some of the Ghost Survivor enemies can poison you too but eh, they literally don't matter for Claire or Leon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

They might've in the original RE2, but RE2R limits enemies that can poison you to just the big G spawns in the sewers. I guess some of the Ghost Survivor enemies can poison you too but eh, they literally don't matter for Claire or Leon.

I think plants poison you in the B scenario if you release the gas in A.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Lunethex posted:

everyone needs to stop doing whatever it is they are doing and watch this

Thanks Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks! for posting this.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Man, speed running this game for the first time broke my brain. Now that I have most item locations memorized I just end up skipping lots of poo poo because I know I wont need it.

Also speeding past zombies Id normally kill for good measure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Counterpoint: The fact that the RPD was barely used in RE3 doesn't mean it couldn't get more use in a remake.

e: Just to be clear, I agree, the RPD really can't be more than a small portion of RE3, even if you make it more prominent than it was in the original. The scenario I suggested above should be over pretty quick, more along the lines of the Sherry/Ada section in terms of length than anything else.

Just open up the city, make more buildings accessible and have RCPD be one of many in more fully realized semi open world setting. Add a hospital, a superstore a DMV...maybe a school or a bus station...a pharmacy. poo poo like that. Have several access points in RCPD blockaded, wrecked, on fire and otherwise shut out in ways that gently caress with the player's muscle memory.

I wouldn't gently caress with the core gameplay much and just concentrate on the environments.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 15, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best line in the game is Leons reaction to Mr. X clomping out the door during the escape sequence

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

One of the reasons I loved RE2R so much is because Leon and Claire had realistic, human reactions to the monsters. Leon saying is this a joke, Claire calling Irons an rear end in a top hat, random cursing at zombies, everything made it really believable.

So, I would be more amenable to this version of Claire going to Rockfort Island, because I can believe she'd call Steve a dumbass and grab Alfred's rifle out of his hands and smack him with it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren::siren::siren:

https://twitter.com/DC_Douglas/status/1106248607269715970

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Someone page Bomberguy to do another Speedrun for charity featuring Resident Evil.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Seen this loving thing appear numerous times in the last couple of hours:

I'm too drunk to go fact-checking right now so instead I'm just staying VERY skeptical but maybe -- just maybe -- that Arklay thing wasn't a wasted effort after all.

Barudak posted:

The best line in the game is Leons reaction to Mr. X clomping out the door during the escape sequence
That was pretty much my reaction almost word-for-word the first time I got to that bit.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
That's a pretty small looking mansion.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't think it's supposed to be the mansion.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

But...I mean... you are a monster, Albert.

...eventually...

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://deadline.com/2019/01/resident-evil-tv-series-in-works-netflix-1202541277/

Sounds like it's going to possibly be more a prequel to the movies than an adaptation of the games plot.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

joylessdivision posted:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/resident-evil-tv-series-in-works-netflix-1202541277/

Sounds like it's going to possibly be more a prequel to the movies than an adaptation of the games plot.

Aaaaand my interest just crashed like a vehicle after Leon looked at it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Information is extremely sparse at the moment. It appears that the film company that made the films is partnering with Netflix for the series, it will be a completely different production unit than the one that made the films. That unit is tied up with the Monster Hunter film project. It may well be that the involvement of Constantin Film is primarily a rights issue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Aaaaand my interest just crashed like a vehicle after Leon looked at it.

Honestly that could be even better, just from the opposite direction. My main concern is that netflix may make the mistake of giving them funding for actual production values.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Before I move on the the B runs, I decided to do Leon A immediately after Claire A. I played for a couple hours and have done all there is to do in the station before I let Mr. X loose (I've saved in the boiler room).

My immediate sense is that Claire's A game is substantially easier. Her starting pistol is worse than Leon's, but you end up getting the same amount of ammo for each gun and they put out a similar amount of damage, so it doesn't make a huge difference. She more than makes up for this shortcoming with the grenade launcher, which is a head and shoulders above the shotgun. One grenade round will almost kill a licker, and it'll stun it and render it immobile while you finish it by plinking away with your pistol. If you want to fight one with your shotgun, you need at least 4 direct hits while it's skittering around like a little rear end in a top hat, and it can do a poo poo ton of damage to you before it goes down.

This wouldn't be so terrible if the game didn't view shotgun shells and grenade shells as roughly equal. You tend to only find shotgun shells in groups of 2-3, whereas grenade shells usually come in groups of 2. Crafting them with gunpowder is also just about the same--you get three shotgun shells for a regular sized gunpowder and a high grade gunpowder vs. 2-3 grenade shells.

In Claire's run I never really felt wanting for resources, but I am definitely feeling the survival horror during Leon's run. At least I won't have to deal with Mr. X for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You shouldn't be using shotgun shells or grenades on lickers. :ese:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

joylessdivision posted:

Is it going to play out like Dungeon keeper, a bunch of scientists running around making puzzles, traps and hiding keys until they get murderised by their own creations

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really dislike how Nemesis sometimes just twats you within a split second of exiting a save room. I picked up an old save after a few months and wasn't expecting that :fuckoff:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah from memory I think the big advantage Leon A has is that after returning from G1 / the car park he has the option to reopen the rest of the police station and explore it without Mr X showing up. Claire A is basically locked into encountering him after entering the secret passageway. Or was that what you meant by only seeing him for 10-15 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Yeah from memory I think the big advantage Leon A has is that after returning from G1 / the car park he has the option to reopen the rest of the police station and explore it without Mr X showing up. Claire A is basically locked into encountering him after entering the secret passageway. Or was that what you meant by only seeing him for 10-15 minutes?

Leon indeed does have that advantage but I usually end up exploring the secret passageway anyway because theres a film roll that shows location of flamethrower ammo and gun upgrade.

I believe you cant get those without the film so youd have to go back twice, assuming you want to explore everything.