Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If I'm not mistaken, you can see the eyeball when she's eating those takoyaki (or whatever they are) before they go to the retina scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Junko's at least kind of believable in the games, this anime takes it way further and it's part of why I dislike Side:Despair. Side:Future is boring, Side:Despair actively makes characters worse in my opinion.

Like, in the first game we can sort of see that yes, she's crazy, but Monokuma proves she can stick to one personality long enough to not look so, and the second game and UDG explain a bit about how she managed to do it all, namely with a bunch of really powerful followers she broke and Monaca as the supply for super power robot bears.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I still find it very strange that hope and despair are almost worshipped in this world. I keep grasping for some meaning or allegory it represents but at this point it seems to just represent the main conflict in the plot.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I still find it very strange that hope and despair are almost worshipped in this world. I keep grasping for some meaning or allegory it represents but at this point it seems to just represent the main conflict in the plot.

That's because it is. Kodaka is not exactly a genius writer.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, we've officially passed the half way point. Our next episode begins with a most wonderful painting of Junko.

And below that painting, we find Monaca!

She's gotten herself a spiffy new outfit and is giving a speech to an army of Monokumas about how the side of despair has been getting their rear end kicked thanks to Makoto, but that she, as Junko Enoshima II, is here to turn everything around, and declares that she will drown Future Foundation and then all humanity in a sea of desolation.

We also get a shot of her new headquarters. Having a giant neon sign with your name is the peak of villain class, I think. Oh, and in case you're wondering, in Japanese, her name is indeed written out as "Monaka", so that's why it's here like that.

Next, we see Nagisa talking to someone on the phone about Monaca and her new lair.

The other Warriors of Hope are there, too! Nagisa talks about how they can't help with fighting Monaca right now due to a lack of manpower, so getting into the building will be left to whoever he's talking to.

Finally, Nagisa says that whatever Monaca is planning needs to be shut down - but still asks that they don't go too hard on her, because she's a friend, or at least she used to be. Crushes die hard, I suppose. Also, say goodbye to the Warriors of Hope, they're not showing up any more. Yep, that's all we're getting from them. Three out of four get a single shot and not a single word.

Of course, the one Nagisa was talking to was Komaru. We cut to her and Toko making their way through the streets of Towa City, and Komaru gives us a voiceover basically introducing herself. You know, "normal high school girl", "Makoto's brother", that kind of stuff. We all know this already. At least I sure as gently caress hope so.

I also appreciate that they make a point at times of showing the different types of ammo Komaru has in action. They really didn't have to do that, but apparently somebody on the team cared about UDG. So here we have Dance...

...and Komaru also uses Link on a Bomber and has it jump down on a pile of other Monokumas, then explode.

Of course, Genocider also has to get involved in the fun times. She also takes a snipe at Komaru's weight, saying that she has to lay off the carbs before she looks like one of those Monokumas.

To which Komaru declares that her weight is perfectly below average, and pouts. Good to know the chemistry between those two has also made the jump here.

We also get some Paralyze usage and a Ball Monokuma. The two continue making their way along the road, running into heavy resistance along the way. This leads to Toko declaring that she can't fail this mission, since Byakuya only asks for her help every once in a blue moon...

...and it's time for some fantasizing.

Her fantasies are only becoming more and more amazing thanks to actually being animated now. The two fantasy creations gush over each other...

...and are interrupted by their horde of children. However, there is also somebody else there. Somebody "extraordinarily homely and vulgar".

And that someone is Chibi Komaru-chan. This is referencing Chibi Maruko-chan, a manga, with Komaru being drawn in the same style and voiced by the same VA as Maruko in her anime adaptation (though it's not hard for them to do that, given that that VA is also the new JP voice of Monokuma).

And the scene ends with the two deciding to gently caress right here and now. No, really.

Meanwhile, far away, Byakuya winces. Turns out that Toko's fantasies involving him are so outrageous that he literally feels it when she does it. That... actually explains some things.

We continue a plot point from earlier - turns out that indeed, none of the other branches of Future Foundation are picking up any broadcasts or other Remnant activity. If the killing game going on right now was just supposed to kill off Future Foundation bigwigs and cause despair in the Foundation, broadcasting it would be essential. Byakuya suspects some sort of other, more nefarious purpose behind everything.

Meanwhile, Komaru and Toko have made it to Monaca's hideout and are questioning her intelligence over blatantly signposting it.

They start making their way inside, but someone's watching!

It's Monaca! She pipes in with a wonderful "ewww, nobody needs to see your friendship hanging out all over the place", then questions why people can't see how great despair is and wonders if maybe despair isn't trendy anymore without Junko in the picture, and if maybe she herself isn't trendy anymore.

She then dismisses all that because "it's not like she can't blow this popsicle stand", and declares that her two options are to either leave the world, or destroy it, and the choice isn't hard at all.

Komaru and Toko make it inside the building, and Toko is completely out of breath, leading to this exchange.

"Ugh, my breath..."
"Yeah, it stinks."
"No, you jerk, I need to catch it!"

Open shittalking camaraderie is the best camaraderie.

The room seems to have several of the different boss robots from UDG in them. That can't be good. The two wonder what Monaca is up to...

...and in response, the lights go on and Monaca greets them! She's so glad they're here, and she sure ain't kitten. Good to see that the girl that made a habit of going "~nya" every once in a while has now diversified with cat puns.

Also, here's another one of Monaca's boss robot. That's not helping.

Monaca declares that she's going to completely take hope out of the equation in this conflict, and claims responsibility for what's going on with Makoto and the gang. Komaru says that Monaca won't lay a hand on Makoto...

...but, well, Monaca has home field advantage this time around. That's a lot of Monokumas! How are our intrepid heroines going to get out of this mess?

Well, Monaca surrenders. Yep.

Komaru and Toko can't believe what they're hearing.

Turns out that Monaca has a bit of a problem with the whole thing - she's convinced there's no way she can win. Even if despair wins the battle, it can never win the war. She also points out the irony at the center of everything - all this time, she was *hoping* to defeat Komaru and Toko.

She's done. Monaca out. She pushes a button...

...and all the robots explode.

When we return from the commercial break, the tower has taken a bit of damage.

Komaru and Toko crawl out from under some rubble, relatively unharmed.

They take a look behind a corner, and what do they find?

A... van?

And who's inside it?

It's Monaca! Turns out this is her room.

And boy, does it look good.

Toko asks about that whole "successor to Junko Enoshima" thing, and Monaca just says that that was that phase she was going through, and she's over it now, so let's just pretend it never happened. And it is here we learn something rather revealing - Monaca isn't the mastermind. In fact, she has absolutely nothing to do with that killing game going on - to her, that tactic is so cliche, she has better things to do with her time. So what was she doing there? She describes herself as a "lurker". Basically, she just wanted to see Makoto, the Ultimate Hope, up close.

She did have a little fun with ketchup for kicks, though. So now we know who faked Aoi's death - it was Monaca being an rear end in a top hat. We also get this exchange between Monaca and Toko:

"Nothing major."
"Nothing major? You murdered [Miaya] Gekkogahara, for crying out loud!"
"Oh, yeah. Well, apart from *that*, nothing major."

Nom. Komaru asks Monaca what made her turn out like this, that she had to be normal once and how she became "such a lousy excuse for a human being". Rude. Monaca replies that there was a certain someone that "turned her into an adult way too soon". I never did quite understand what exactly she is implying with that statement. Anyway, she says that she would listen to him prattle on and on about hope and despair and decided that that was somebody she really didn't want to end up like.

Yeah, turns out Nagito is quite poo poo at being a teacher. Basically, since his hope boner forced him to always talk about how obvious it is that hope will win in the end, he ended up implanting that idea into Monaca's head when he taught her to be the Successor. So small wonder she then decides that she can't win and therefore shouldn't really try. So now, total indifference is Monaca's thing now. She just outright quits. Komaru asks Monaca who's attacking Makoto, but Monaca just replies she has no idea.

However... Monaca does know something.

Turns out Makoto will be in for the shock of his life - because of him, one of the survivors from the DR1 killing game is going to die! Monaca knows who it is, but doesn't want to share because hey, she's just a lousy excuse for a human being after all. Komaru demands to know, but Monaca just tells her to Google it. This is one instance where the subtitled version really stuck with me - that line came out in the subs as "Google it up, shitlord", which is loving amazing. Toko tries to feint by saying that Monaca is faking indifference and is actually still on the side of despair, but Monaca doesn't even remotely bite.

So Toko busts out Genocider to try and threaten Monaca into fessing up.

And it turns out it actually works! Monaca reveals that the one that is going to die is...

...fart. Yes. Monaca just responded to death threats from a serial killer by literally farting in her general direction like she's a French knight in Monty Python. Monaca does not give a *gently caress*.

That doesn't make Genocider happy at all. Komaru holds her back since she promised she wouldn't go too hard on Monaca to Nagisa.

Then, Monaca presses a button.

It makes Monokumas show up!

But instead of attacking, the Monokumas just lift up the van, and Monaca bids our heroines goodbye. Where is she going? The one place that hasn't been corrupted by hope and despair - space!

No, seriously. Monaca's going to space, where she'll never leave her room. Her goal in life is now "space NEET".

The Monokumas start blasting off...

...but Genocider isn't letting go, demanding to know which one of the DR1 survivors is going to die. Monaca says nothing.

Komaru's also along for the ride, begging her to let go. Komaru then goes for the low blow by pointing out that Genocider has to jump down so she can see Byakuya again, which convinces her. The two jump down, and the door of the van closes shut.

Inside, Monaca plays "loves me - loves me not", just with "hope" and "despair", figuring that with two choices, it should be easy to pick.

She then declares that to be too complicated and throws the flower away. "Monaca is shutting her brain off permanently! Whoo-hooo!"

And with one triumphant shout of "Nooooo moooooore thinkiiiiiiing!" she blasts off into space.

And that's it. Monaca is loving gone. Like, I can already tell you this, she has no more involvement in the rest of the show. She's gone to space, and she's not coming back. This was a controversial development back when this originally aired, but personally, I loving love it. Just the entire concept is incredibly outrageous, yet so strangely relatable. I love that we actually get to see the kid side of Monaca instead of the Satan side. The side that suddenly switches from wanting above all else to become the new Ultimate Despair to declaring it all just a phase and wanting to move past it, like so many children that wanted to become astronauts or archeologists or whatever kids come up with. The side that can't be assed to really pick a side in the big global conflict of hope and despair and instead just gets out in order to eat junk food and play video games all day like a massive nerd. I can particularly relate to that part.

There's hope. There's despair. Monaca takes a third route. Utter apathy. And to be quite frank, this conclusion to her character arc has me declaring her to be the smartest character in the entirety of Danganronpa. The only winning move is not to play.

Meanwhile, Komaru and Toko are screaming towards the ground at what is probably terminal velocity, but Komaru has a plan.

She Links up with some other Monokumas down there and has them spread out a huge curtain to catch their fall with, causing them to land safely.

Komaru has a moment with Toko after Komaru thinks of the possibility that she could've lost Toko there. They also muse over what they've just seen happen, with Komaru saying that Monaca will be back eventually after she's had some time to mature a bit.

Meanwhile, back with our main gang, they're waiting for Byakuya to show up.

And then Miaya's head starts flailing in weird directions.

Also, Monomi starts talking about how the person in front of them is not real. Must be a strange sight. Also, Aoi is very confused as to why Miaya just called Makoto "big brother".

However, we then get some video patched in. Komaru gives Makoto the basic rundown of what we've learned over this episode - Monaca's not the mastermind, somebody from the first game is going to die, that stuff.

Meanwhile, Toko is giving the same news to Byakuya, who doesn't think much of the idea of one of the survivors getting killed.

Finally, we cut to Kyoko checking out the bodies, as is her wont, but she's startled by a sound.

Somebody's coming... and that's the end of the episode. Next time on the Despair Side, Junko's plan really starts kicking into high gear. poo poo's gonna get real. Also, some utterly amazing lines will be uttered.

What the gently caress just happened?: Komaru and Toko chase down Monaca in Towa City. Monaca gets them dead to rights but gives up because Nagito basically indoctrinated her that hope will always win, so the whole conflict became pointless to her. Instead, Monaca reveals that she was basically just an observer in the killing game, she had nothing to do with the setup. She does however reveal that one of the DR1 survivors will die because of Makoto. Monaca then blasts off into space to become a NEET because hope and despair both suck. Komaru uses Miayabot to communicate with Makoto and tell him what she learned. Also, Kyosuke seems to be coming for Kyoko.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 13, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

- If I'm not mistaken, this episode was around the time that the subtitles started coming out late back before the dub was a thing.

- The Warriors of Hope are never seen again and the Monokuma Kids' fate is never brought up. That's weak. Also Haiji isn't mentioned, but he sucks, so who cares?

- The little details from UDG are very nice. I remembered liking that when I saw the episode.

- I'm pretty sure Toko's fantasy is referencing Revolutionary Girl Utena. At the very least, Byakuya riding in on the hood of that car reminded me a lot of Akio.

- Byakuya sensing Toko's fantasies is funny. That's an insanely powerful thirst, though.

- Monaca giving up is something I'm torn on. On one hand, she killed Miaya and threw away her character for essentially nothing. That's weak. On the other hand, Monaca being the only character in this series who realizes how ridiculous everything had gotten and deciding "gently caress it, I'm going to space." is great.

- The Google joke only gets better with time seeing as you actually can find out the spoilers she was talking about now, despite Komaru's insistence to the contrary.

- I'm not entirely sure, but Monaca might be making a reference to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with the no more thinking thing, given a villain from Part 2 winds up being launched into space, freezes, and winds up turning off his brain due to his immortality leaving him conscious as a frozen mass in the void of space.

- Seriously, the lack of reaction to Miaya being dead makes me angry. :argh:

Mainly the thing that bothered me about this episode was that it was basically the writer going "And that's it for UDG!"

If you know/like the characters then maybe you'll appreciate the send-off. If you don't, then we just got a villain reveal of a character who leaves without doing anything not long afterwards. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth because I wanted to see more of Monaca, even if she did leave in a funny way. There were also a number of lingering plot threads from UDG that didn't feel resolved, like I mentioned above.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- I'm pretty sure Toko's fantasy is referencing Revolutionary Girl Utena. At the very least, Byakuya riding in on the hood of that car reminded me a lot of Akio.

Oh 100%

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Overexposure to Komaeda's bullshit single-handedly convinced Monaca to abandon the hope/despair conflict. :allears:

Since my reaction to his death in SDR2 was "oh thank god, I don't have to listen to him anymore" I find this extremely personally relatable.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TheMcD posted:

There's hope. There's despair. Monaca takes a third route. Utter apathy. And to be quite frank, this conclusion to her character arc has me declaring her to be the smartest character in the entirety of Danganronpa.

:agreed:

Even before I knew anything about the actual plot of UDG, I loved this and thought it was a really fun way to wrap up whatever this Monaca person's character arc was.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Overexposure to Komaeda's bullshit single-handedly convinced Monaca to abandon the hope/despair conflict. :allears:

Of course, this is the other main reason I loved it. Komaeda got to defeat Junko's successor of Ultimate Despair! :3: ...granted, he was supposed to be on the Despair team himself at the time and all, and won by failing at it, but hey it still counts!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The opening to Despair Side actually changes significantly starting from the last episode TheMcD covered.

Not having seen UDG before watching the episode dedicated to it makes thus episode very confusing. Because of your LP, I have a newfound appreciation for Monaka going to space :allears:

And for some reason the punished Warriors of Hope just show up without any explanation or dialogue. Okay then. :shrug:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

1234567890num posted:

The opening to Despair Side actually changes significantly starting from the last episode TheMcD covered.

Not having seen UDG before watching the episode dedicated to it makes thus episode very confusing. Because of your LP, I have a newfound appreciation for Monaka going to space :allears:

And for some reason the punished Warriors of Hope just show up without any explanation or dialogue. Okay then. :shrug:

There's actually a picture in the UDG credits of them safe but hiding from/fighting against Monaca's brainwashed Monokids, so them being alive wasn't just from this show.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mainly the thing that bothered me about this episode was that it was basically the writer going "And that's it for UDG!"

If you know/like the characters then maybe you'll appreciate the send-off. If you don't, then we just got a villain reveal of a character who leaves without doing anything not long afterwards. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth because I wanted to see more of Monaca, even if she did leave in a funny way. There were also a number of lingering plot threads from UDG that didn't feel resolved, like I mentioned above.

See, the thing is that I think this is actually perfect, because that's exactly in keeping with UDG's ending. In the end, the events of UDG accomplished gently caress all. Monaca only suffered a temporary setback, the war between adults and children continues, and Big Bang Monokuma, the ultimate weapon for the adults, got its poo poo wrecked. Like Level 1 Thief pointed out earlier in the thread, the achievement for clearing the game basically draws attention to this:

It's just kind of an inbetween thing with a lot of uncertainty. This conclusion to UDG's story in DR3 is basically just more of the same - "an end that repudiated hope and despair alike", if you will. And that just seems exactly right to me. To me, this lack of a conclusion is the perfect conclusion.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Quicksilver6 posted:

It's meant to be an allegory/parody for cults of personality and idol worship. It has been a bit distorted admittedly.

And you could argue breaks towards the end but spoilers

One of the things with Danganronpa is that the people who obsess over 'Hope' or 'Despair' are almost always shown to be wrong, malicious or outright insane.

For as much as Makoto is 'The Ultimate Hope' he doesn't overly talk about hope so much as don't give up on life. Komaeda is a parody of 'Makato The Ultimate Hope' and is understandably insane.

The Future Foundation is run by a lot of the higher-ups of Hopes Peak and Ultimates who were taught to follow their creed, and are as much responsible for Junko's reign of terror as she is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKirbs posted:

It's meant to be an allegory/parody for cults of personality and idol worship. It has been a bit distorted admittedly.

And you could argue breaks towards the end but spoilers

One of the things with Danganronpa is that the people who obsess over 'Hope' or 'Despair' are almost always shown to be wrong, malicious or outright insane.

For as much as Makoto is 'The Ultimate Hope' he doesn't overly talk about hope so much as don't give up on life. Komaeda is a parody of 'Makato The Ultimate Hope' and is understandably insane.

The Future Foundation is run by a lot of the higher-ups of Hopes Peak and Ultimates who were taught to follow their creed, and are as much responsible for Junko's reign of terror as she is.

Yeah Makoto is not obsessed with Hope or anything. He is just optimistic and believes in good things happening eventually.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I would have liked to know what happened to the Monokuma kids.

Honestly they might as well have undone their hypnosis back in UDG, but I doubt the writers wanted to deal with the 'kid finds out their parents are dead' angle times a thousand.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, apropos of this episode having references to multiple other anime, here's something appropriate from my collection.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, I can't believe I just realized that on top of all this, Kodaka is also a Nivana fan. All the little things made sense: Chapter 4 of DR1 (All All Apologies in the LP translation, All Star Apologies in the official translation), basically everything about Sonia (Last name, Nevermind, is the album that got Nirvana big, her country is Novoselic, which is the surname of Nirvana's drummer, and she attended 'In Utero High' back before the events here, which is another Nirvana album).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, things can only go downhill from here, but let's see what happens. We begin where we left off last episode, with Junko just having run into Ryota. She asks him what his talent is, and he tells her.

It is in this scene we get some absolutely immortal lines courtesy of Dub Junko. So here, her reaction to learning Ryota is the Ultimate Animator is "Really? They let you in for that? Wow, if I were a gigantic weeb, I'd probably be impressed by you."

The two then get into an argument over the merits of anime - not a sentence I thought I'd type - and Junko gives us another amazing line in "He's gonna burst a blood vessel 'cause I dissed his waifus!". However, when Ryota brings up that he has a "project", Junko suddenly is a lot more interested.

So Junko gets to see the work-in-progress version of whatever this "project" is...

...and boy, she seems impressed.

In fact, she declares any other anime to be worthless trash compared to what she's just seen and goes straight to work ridding the world of it.

However, Junko's not convinced this is just some regular anime and presses Ryota on what he did to get that kind of reaction. Turns out he basically used every trick in the book when it comes to mental manipulation, including some that are "technically" brainwashing.

We also get some choice shots when Ryota talks about guiding the viewer's eyes in certain directions to enrich their memories. Ryota talks about how he wants to use his anime to make the world a better place.

Then Junko got an idea. An awful idea. Junko had a wonderful, awful idea.

After the opening, we're back with the class, where Gundham is doing... some sort of performance art with a bear?

Hiyoko brought an orchid in memory of the now deceased Nagito. Well, at least she thinks he's probably dead. What is Nagito doing right now?

Well, he's been in a plane crash in the middle of the desert.

However, Nagito being Nagito, he finds an oasis right nearby. Also, we do get a full rear end shot in what I guess is to be our shower scene for this anime. Hey, sure, why not.

Back with the class, Mikan isn't there. Turns out she left earlier with Ryota - or rather, "Ryota".

Teruteru makes his usual comments as to what they might be doing, using a banana and a donut for further illustration.

The bear then puts a stop to that.

What are they doing? Talking about the fact that Ryota seems to have disappeared for a week now, leaving only a note that he was leaving to focus more on work. However, because Mikan is involved, it looks significantly more inappropriate.

Mikan decides to check out Ryota's room for clues.

Instead, she spots Mukuro!

Thanks to the power of DR2's future sight, we do know that the most obvious outcome to being spotted by the Ultimate Soldier while she is up to some clearly shady poo poo - namely that Mikan disappears for ages until her corpse is found somewhere in an unrecognizable state - will not come to pass here, but whatever it is Mukuro has planned, it's probably not pleasant.

Just ask Juzo! He's pissed because twenty of his security guys just up and disappeared as if they never existed. I think I know a certain freckle-faced individual that might be responsible for that. Also, the trustees are pissing themselves and are demanding heightened security. Things are getting dangerous, and Chisa reiterates her readiness to die for Kyosuke if it came down to it. Juzo then makes some comments about that that sound like there's something about that that is really bugging him. Hrm.

Meanwhile, turns out Ryota was "kidnapped" by Junko, which in this case means he willingly moved to a new, better room with better equipment and a mini-fridge stocked with energy drinks.

And here comes Mukuro, having brought the rest of Ryota's stuff...

...and Mikan.

So, Mikan and Ryota have a kinda-sorta heartfelt reunion...

...and that gives Junko another one of her ideas.

That idea involves Mikan getting a screening of Ryota's project. She also seems very impressed.

And meanwhile, Junko is... uh... you OK there?

Apparently, as Mukuro explains, this is what it looks like when Junko uses her super analysis ability. Since she's already seen Ryota's project once before, she's now analyzing it. Her eyes just flit around independently in wild directions, making for excellent screenshots. With that done, she asks Mukuro for the time, and apparently she's got somewhere to be, so she bails. She also takes multiple swipes at Mukuro's odor, as is her wont.

Turns out her destination was Izuru's place. And what does she want to with him? Well, she wants to take him out on a date!

Junko's idea of a date seems to involve murder quite a bit.

They're out here at Hope's Peak because Junko wants to show Izuru the wonders of despair. What does that entail?

Well, it involves these people. Don't get too attached to them. They're the Hope's Peak student council, and they were apparently threatened by Junko through some sort of video to come to Hope's Peak in the dead of night. Mukuro comes into the room and announces that the student council will now murder each other. The student council has their expected objections to this course of events.

So Mukuro straight up shoots one of them.

And to really get the party going, Junko brings in some additional motivation - these tapes contain dirty secrets of every one of the student council, "weapons-grade blackmail material".

Junko also supplies everybody with a copious amount of weapons and then leaves them to themselves.

She also has Mukuro supply the soundtrack to what is about to happen by making her sing Tsubasa o Kudasai, a popular Japanese folk song.

Things very quickly get out of hand, as somebody (to note: I know zero of these characters' names and do not care to find out, because, well, spoilers, they're going to die) grabs a shotgun, and declares his intention to kill Junko and Mukuro. Somebody else tries to take the gun away from him, there's a bit of a fight, the guy with the gun stumbles backwards...

...and right into a blade.

Turns out one of them took a look at her motive tape and found out that Junko had apparently abducted her mother. And with that, we are off to the races!

Now, I could give a play-by-play of what happens, but really, there's not a lot of important stuff in this sequence. It's a mood sequence with Mukuro giving us some serene music to overlay the horrendous murdering going on, and it basically loses 100% of what makes it special in this format. I would recommend checking this episode out in video form somehow, it's a pretty intense segment. In fact, here's a Polsy link to the scene, courtesy of mycelia in the thread.

But we'll just go through things fairly quickly.

While the murdering is going on, Izuru is just kind of standing there, taking things in.

Junko talks about how great despair is while Mukuro really gets into her singing.

There's a segment that really struck me for some reason - two people who are presumably in love decide to go out on their own terms, committing suicide together.

However, before they can pull the trigger, somebody else impales both of them, causing them to die in horrible agony. I'm not going to lie, this entire sequence is downright hard to watch again. While I think UDG wins out overall on the "hosed up poo poo" scale, DR3 has three parts in particular that take the "Jesus Christ this is hosed" factor up to eleven. This is the first one.

And all the while, Izuru just watches.

And in the end, only one survives.

Izuru then shows up. He says that while the guy might be armed, he won't survive this.

The guy panics and attacks Izuru with a chainsaw...

...with predictable results, given that he's basically going up against God.

And then the guy lands on his chainsaw, which had continued running while laying on the floor. That's not going to help. Izuru turns to leave...

...but he then notices something.

Turns out the guy somehow got a shot off with his pistol despite what I assume to be him being decapitated...

...and it actually hit Izuru. There's a little moment here where without a single word being said, it's very clear this has just shattered Izuru's worldview - all this time, there hasn't been anything he couldn't predict, but now, that's all fallen apart.

Junko promises Izuru that despair is going to rock his world and promises that their second date will make this seem like nothing.

We then cut to Chisa getting a call from Koichi about what we just saw. Koichi asks that she makes sure the students don't catch wind of this.

Meanwhile, Jin and Kazuo have just learned that Hope's Peak will be attempting to sweep the massacre under the rug. Jin is pissed off, but Kazuo, while he doesn't agree with the course of action, recognizes that sweeping this under the rug is the only way Hope's Peak continues to exist.

Kazuo leaves and Koichi comes in.

Jin asks Koichi that if something were to happen to him, that Koichi would look after Kyoko. So it seems like we now have an explanation as to why Koichi always seems to be hovering around Kyoko in Future Side.

And finally, Junko is hard at work writing an e-mail.

She sends it off to the entirety of the Reserve Course.

We then get a bit in the style of the Climax Reasoning parts of the games with the Reserve Course students receiving Junko's e-mail revealing that Hope's Peak has been doing secret human experimentation, and the Reserve Course has been paying for it with their tuition.

Junko also reveals the killings of the student council, but fudges things a bit by declaring Izuru, the subject of the human experimentation, to be the killer. She says that Hope's Peak is trying to cover it all up because ultimately, they don't care at all about the Reserve Course.

And now, all that is left for Junko to do is to wait and "watch the butthurt blossom". Actual words.

The next day, the Reserve Course has formed a mob outside the Main Course, and all our class can do is watch, worried.

The imposter got a note from Mikan.

And with all this happening, Chiaki just wonders where Hajime went. She's, uh, got a bit of a fixation.

poo poo is going to get real. And that's the episode. Next time, on the Future Side, things will continue to heat up as we find ourselves hurtling towards the conclusion.

What the gently caress just happened?: Junko abducts Ryota in order to make use of his project, which turns out to be an anime that uses brainwashing techniques to get an emotional response out of the viewer. Mikan also ends up getting abducted. Junko then busts Izuru out of his containment cell to take him out on a date. That date turns out to be the original killing game - Junko forces the student council of Hope's Peak to brutally slaughter each other. The last survivor attacks Izuru in the end, and in absolute despair manages to somehow wound Izuru, which shatters his worldview of everything being predictable. Hope's Peak attempts to cover the slaughter up, but Junko reveals it to the entirety of the Reserve Course, which is now on the verge of rioting.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 25, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Well, things can only go downhill from here, but let's see what happens.

I would make a joke here, but I'm pretty sure I said this exact thing one episode ago.

- Junko (especially in dub) bullying Ryota over anime is good, as is the follow-up of her going "Anime was a mistake" and destroying the rest of it. That being said, how did she know Ryota was so special if she didn't even know who he was? Did she read the script?

- You guys might not know this, but Junko's chest is huge. The series never really brings it up, though, so I thought I'd inform you.

- By this point, it became apparent to me that the DR2 cast is just... here. This is, what, Episode 7 of 13? And Junko hasn't even met the cast yet? And even though that's not even necessary to get them rolling towards the whole "Destroy the world and kill everyone" thing, there's the fact that the only bad thing that has happened to this cast is Fuyuhiko's sister dying. Which doesn't seem to have had any long-term negative effect on him or Peko as far as we can see. Every scene of this class is basically just "Nanami is so perfect and good and wholesome" or "Wacky gag that has nothing to do with any of the actual plot going on around this time".

- Say what you will about Junko, but at least the people she kidnaps always have good lodgings. That's always been consistent. Aside from Chapter 4 of DR2, I guess.

- While not shown, Mukuro's reaction to Ryota's anime is having a really overdramatic ugly cry. It's... probably the most she emotes in all of DR3.

- Apparently Junko's real talent is SHSL Analysis, which is apparently something from Danganronpa Zero? It's a whole thing. Basically, Junko has the Sharingan from Naruto and can just do whatever the gently caress she wants. Presumably, this is how she made her own Alter Ego in DR2 unless I'm misremembering something.

- And so begins the gratuitous violence! This sequence was... a sequence, I guess. It's a bunch of nameless characters dying, a number of which in excessively over the top ways. Like the couple that tries to commit suicide, only to be impaled on a thing that's hammered through their bodies or something. I can't remember. I do remember this being the exact point that Despair stopped being something I was comfortable watching, though!

- Here's the explanation for why Koichi was looking for "her", talking about detective tropes, and making a pretty good guess about Miaya being shady: he's friends with the Kirigiris. Probably picked up some of that detective's intuition from them.

- I'm sure nothing bad will come from all of this. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 22, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the student council survived the president who was the most vocal about them not going along with it. He was severely traumatized and due to seeing Izuru after all the killing happen thought he did the killing and brought it up to the staff.

He is sadly later murdered in Zero while undergoing mental care.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of the student council survived the president who was the most vocal about them not going along with it. He was severely traumatized and due to seeing Izuru after all the killing happen thought he did the killing and brought it up to the staff.

He is sadly later murdered in Zero while undergoing mental care.

Huh. You'd think they'd bring that up in some way, since they've already had some allusions to Zero.

Though you can see that in this shot, there's one picture at the top left that seems to be still lit, so maybe they do acknowledge it?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- By this point, it became apparent to me that the DR2 cast is just... here. This is, what, Episode 7 of 13? And Junko hasn't even met the cast yet? And even though that's not even necessary to get them rolling towards the whole "Destroy the world and kill everyone" thing, there's the fact that the only bad thing that has happened to this cast is Fuyuhiko's sister dying. Which doesn't seem to have had any long-term negative effect on him or Peko as far as we can see. Every scene of this class is basically just "Nanami is so perfect and good and wholesome" or "Wacky gag that has nothing to do with any of the actual plot going on around this time".

It's like the DR2 cast is still just trying to have their slice of life stuff going on while everything falls apart around them. There's merit in that idea, coinciding with the idea that the Main Course is just completely sheltered from the real world, basically on another level entirely, but the execution is lacking.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- Apparently Junko's real talent is SHSL Analysis, which is apparently something from Danganronpa Zero? It's a whole thing. Basically, Junko has the Sharingan from Naruto and can just do whatever the gently caress she wants. Presumably, this is how she made her own Alter Ego in DR2 unless I'm misremembering something.

Yeah, this is the one thing I know from Zero. Junko has godly analytical abilities that basically amount to literal foresight, and those were what made her turn to despair, as everything else was completely predictable to her, essentially mirroring the same boredom Izuru is feeling from being so talented he can see everything coming. And from what I recall, she cribbed her programming knowledge directly from Chihiro at some point before everything went to hell.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

A polsy link to the mutual killing sequence. It's, uh, a lot. Caveat viewor.

Yeah. Well. No way it can possibly get any less comfortable to view, right? That's physically impossible, right? :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The full scene used to be on YouTube, but it seems to have been removed. I guess that was the result of it getting dubbed.

mycelia posted:

No way it can possibly get any less comfortable to view, right? That's physically impossible, right? :shepicide:

:negative:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I, for one, kind of appreciate the way they just decided that this time around, they were going to go hard as hell, and kicked the horrificness (is that a word? gently caress it, I just made it one) into a new gear that DR hadn't really seen before. Much like with UDG, I like it when caution is thrown to the wind and new extremes are tested with an established franchise.

It made me uncomfortable as gently caress watching it, and that's a good thing.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I mean, obviously the LP isn't over, but even if it was over, the Danganronpa story is still not over.

My LP's up, is what I'm trying to say. Don't worry, it won't spoil anything yet to happen in this thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish I could go into the V3 LP unspoiled. :(

I don't know much about the trials, though, so that should be neat.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So hey, this big old murder party is alluded to in the first game of course, but the way it’s handled here feels gratituous and stupid in a way the games at least tried to avoid outside of at most 3 of the executions.

Again I’m left with the opinion that Future is boring but Despair is offensive and and dumb.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Solitair posted:

I mean, obviously the LP isn't over, but even if it was over, the Danganronpa story is still not over.

My LP's up, is what I'm trying to say. Don't worry, it won't spoil anything yet to happen in this thread.

Neat. I won't be coming along for the ride because I can't trust myself and my fat mouth to not be That Guy when it comes to spoilers, but good luck to you.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, this time around, we'll begin our episode with a flashback!

We find ourselves following Koichi, who seems to be involved in some sort of military deal attacking a heavily fortified building alongside another former teacher.

The two charge the building while having a moment reminiscing about their pasts as teachers...

...until the other one gets blown to bits. This causes Koichi to think of Kyoko, and we get our opening.

After the opening, we rejoin Yasuhiro, who continues to find himself being chased down by an attack helicopter.

However, the helicopter then gets shot down by a missile!

Turns out the cavalry has arrived.

Meanwhile, Komaru and Makoto continue talking about the whole "somebody's going to die because of Makoto" thing Monaca said. Komaru gives Makoto a pep talk by reminding him of his promise to come back to Towa City and pick Komaru up after everything is over. However, the connection then cuts out.

After that, Miayabot starts freaking out again, talking about some sort of "auto remote" mode that has been activated. Aoi doesn't know what it is, but figures it can't be good, and bails with Makoto.

But after leaving the room, they run into somebody else.

Iiiiiit's Kyosuke! He's, uh, certainly looked better.

He also picked up a new katana somewhere. Where did he get that? Don't ask me. I presume that given how edgy he is, he can probably just pull new katanas right out of his rear end. He makes his intentions to kill Makoto known again...

...but then Miayabot blows through the wall.

Kyosuke cuts her head off, but it doesn't really faze her. She declares Kyosuke to be a threat...

...and switches into "berserker mode", going full mechsuit in the process. The two start fighting and Makoto and Aoi take the opportunity to bail, with their goal being to find Kyoko.

Also, Kyosuke apparently has the ability to turn his katana into a thousand degree knife.

Meanwhile, with Kyoko's group, she's still trying to figure out who the attacker is, while Koichi works on a massive pile of traps that were originally set by Sonozuke that he's disarmed. Ruruka suggests leaving, but Kyoko is having none of that poo poo, saying that they're leaving when she's done and that's that.

Kyoko then spots the marks that show that one of the bookcases is movable. We've already seen that it hides a secret door.

Ruruka stumbles over the traps in what Koichi suggests might be an attempt to sabotage the investigation. Ruruka has none of it, but Koichi lays it on a bit more, saying that rumor has it that Ruruka formed her own little splinter group within the Foundation, that she's in hot water with the higherups over that, and that there are rumors of her wanting to start her own organization.

Koichi then asks the door, who he says is in the vice chairman's faction, about its opinion.

Except he meant Juzo. Good ear, I suppose. Juzo just straight up says he's planning to murder all four of them. Remarkably straightforward, that guy.

Back outside, Byakuya's group is planning to make their way inside. Yasuhiro finds himself on hauling duty and doesn't like it.

Back inside, Juzo has beaten everybody up and now wants to stab Kyoko, saying it was a mistake to let her live earlier.

He is then however interrupted by having a book thrown at him, though he barely even needs to dodge it.

Turns out Koichi isn't staying down.

In fact, he's done some thinking, and declares that he knows Juzo's forbidden action - throwing a punch.

Juzo's reaction tells him he actually got it right.

Koichi then, out of some strange sense of fairness or something, also reveals his own forbidden action. He then continues to taunt Juzo by calling him a gorilla with roid rage, shittalking Kyosuke, and calling Juzo's track record of actually doing something into question.

Juzo gets pissed off, and declares that while he might've dropped the ball in the past, he won't make the same mistake again. We also get what seem to be some quick flashback shots. Don't worry too much about what they mean, we'll get to see the actual events in Despair Side soon enough.

Juzo charges at Koichi, but it seems like there's something there...

...and he gets speared. Turns out Koichi didn't disarm all the traps, and in fact marked the trigger earlier with some marker. Good call on that. Koichi suggests tying Juzo up, and Kyoko gets up to get back to investigating.

But then, Ruruka pushes a button!

And the loving floor just straight up collapses under Kyoko!

She falls, but Koichi has her. Except... uh oh.

Yep, he triggered his forbidden action.

Despite literally dying, he somehow manages to heave Kyoko up to safety, much to Ruruka's chagrin.

When Kyoko asks him why he did that, Koichi flashes back to him taking a picture of Jin and a young Kyoko...

...and as he falls into the hole, he thinks of how he did indeed keep his promise to Jin of watching over Kyoko. RIP Koichi, you turned out to be a pretty good guy.

However, no time to mourn. Ryota accuses Ruruka of being behind this, and she just flat out states her plan is to kill everybody. However, she has a different plan for Juzo, and she shoves a bit of candy in his mouth. This seems to make him a lot more docile, so that was either some brainwashing stuff, or just a strong painkiller.

Though the way she sics him on the other two with the promise of more sweets if he kills them more suggests brainwashing.

However, as Juzo pulls himself off the wall and just straight tears the spear out of his body, he makes it very clear that whatever it was, it didn't work on him, and he's still very much intent on killing all three.

But Kyoko stops him in his tracks by basically just telling him to stop. Strap in, it's time for some detective poo poo.

To start us off, Kyoko accuses Ruruka of killing Sonozuke. Juzo doesn't really care, but Kyoko suggests that solving this particular murder hides a way for everyone to escape, which gets his attention.

Kyoko's investigation had revealed that his cause of death was not the stab wound he got - he was in fact killed by way of his forbidden action being triggered. Also, the knife stuck in Sonozuke's chest actually originally came from Seiko's body. The stab wound on Sonozuke wasn't consistent with the other stab wounds inflicted on the other victims, and there was no blood loss, showing that the knife was stuck in him after he died.

Turns out Sonozuke's forbidden action was eating. And Kyoko figures that he ate one of Ruruka's sweets, because she tasted Sonozuke's saliva off of his corpse, and it tasted sweet. Kyoko is loving hardcore.

Ruruka protests, saying that Sonozuke was on her side and she had no reason to kill him, but Kyoko knows what her motive is.

And with that, she shoves over a bookcase and reveals the secret entrance. She says that the shelf wasn't sitting quite flush, and that combined with the scuff marks made it fairly easy to see that there was something hidden there. Now, things are coming together, but there's still no real motive for Ruruka...

...except Kyoko then completes her reasoning - she figures that given the game's setup with the forbidden actions, there's a lot of people doing things that don't quite make sense. Therefore, if you turn that around, something Ruruka does that doesn't make sense could be explained with her forbidden action, which Kyoko believes to be "allowing someone to leave the playfield".

Juzo figures "screw this" and starts trying to open the door. Ruruka trying to stop Juzo from doing so should be all the answer Kyoko needs.

With that done, Kyoko then moves to leave. Ryota doesn't understand, saying that they should try to get through the door, but Kyoko just quietly shakes her head, and the two leave.

While the two run through the halls, Ryota asks Kyoko why Koichi would sacrifice himself for her, and while Kyoko has her suspicions, she doesn't know for sure just yet. With a flashback, we are shown that her suspicions are based on Koichi saying at one point that a friend of his hates detectives, and while we know this to be the case, she can apparently only suspect that that friend is her father, Jin Kirigiri.

Ryota says that Kyoko really is cold, and Kyoko simply replies that she has to be - she's a detective. And that ends our episode.

However, we have another post-credits stinger. Byakuya and his group, sans Yasuhiro, whom Byakuya told to stay outside, have made their way into the building by blowing up the rubble. One of the agents finds what seems to be a body and ends up touching it.

That seems to have been a mistake.

We then cut to Makoto being carried through the halls by Aoi and thinking to himself how he won't let anybody else die. However, his thoughts are interrupted by what sounded like an explosion and rumbling.

We are then shown the main building of the complex collapsing to end the episode proper. That'll be it for this update - next time, on the Despair Side, an old friend returns, and things really start getting out of hand.

What the gently caress just happened?: Makoto and Aoi run into Kyosuke, but manage to avoid him after Miayabot intervenes while on auto mode. Meanwhile, Juzo barges in on Kyoko and her group with the goal of killing them all. Koichi then outsmarts Juzo and has him run into a trap that incapacitates him. Ruruka then sets off a trap of her own which has Kyoko falling into a pit, but Koichi grabs her hand and pulls her to safety. However, doing so triggers his forbidden action and kills him. Juzo then manages to free himself thanks to one of Ruruka's sweets, but then gets detectived at by Kyoko, who figured out that Ruruka killed Sonozuke and did so because her forbidden action is to let anybody leave, and Sonozuke found what seems to be a secret passage. Juzo then tries to open the secret passage as Ruruka tries to stop him and Kyoko and Ryota simply leave. Meanwhile, outside, Byakuya arrives and blows his way into the building with his agents. However, something seems to go wrong and the entire building is now collapsing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

- I know I've complained about this before, but it seriously bothers me how no one is bothered by the fact that Miaya is dead. And a robot! Heck, Kyosuke now has straight up evidence that his earlier theory of a mole among the organization may have been right and he doesn't even react to it! I guess he is hopped up on REVENGEANCE Juice, though.

- Speaking of which, Kyosuke's edgy flaming cyborg katana that comes out of nowhere. I'm not even mad. This is incredible.

- Just in case you don't dislike Ruruka enough, here's her being secretly evil and working on some new organization. For what purpose? We don't know. That would require the writer having an idea about her motivations when it's pretty clear this is a hatesink character at this point.

- Juzo Boys.jpg! I'm going to post (a slightly edited to be more PC version of) that copypasta once we reach the end.

- Koichi is pretty great in this episode. I wish he'd been in an earlier Danganronpa game that was in less of a hurry to kill off the newer members of the cast.

- When Ruruka catches Kyoko in her trap, she makes this face. Because her only character trait is :moreevil:, you see.

- RIP Two-Face.

- So Ruruka has brainwashing candy! Remember how she's always trying to feed Sonosuke candy? That has some pretty unsettling implications, huh?! I don't believe the intended result was for us to believe that he has been brainwashed by her candy this whole time, but considering that he has no identity separate from Ruruka, it's hard to believe otherwise. Also :moreevil:.

- I believe I mentioned the first line of the Juzo copypasta was "Is there anyone who can even REMOTELY control our boy Juzo?". This episode dared to answer that question.

- A bit of characterization not mentioned her: Juzo is actually sad to hear that Seiko died, the first death in this game that he's actually reacted to. (Unless he reacted to Chisa and I can't remember?) This ties back to my previously mentioned problem of "Seiko is too good and Ruruka is too evil" in the dichotomy of their relationship.

- Kyoko's absurdly thorough investigation of corpses became a meme after this episode, as you might imagine.

- Yep, it's a cliffhanger.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I assumed Kyosuke took the katana off Sonosuke's corpse.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, I just remembered something regarding Kyosuke apparently pulling a katana straight from his rear end:

TheMcD posted:

Next, we see Sonozuke in a room, searching for something.

Turns out that it seems there were two weapons hidden in that room, a blade and a gun. Sonozuke wonders if he should throw away his pride as a blacksmith, then picks up the gun.

This is where Kyosuke got that sword from. Sonozuke originally found those two weapons in the secret passage room and took the gun. If we're looking at this chronologically, Kyosuke must've grabbed this sword at some point during Future Side 6, since that's where he shoved his old sword into Chisa's corpse, and that's when Kyoko and the gang entered that room, never leaving it until Kyosuke revealed his shiny new sword. However, that doesn't really make sense, since Sonozuke and Ruruka were in that room before that - we never saw Sonozuke again after him finding the secret entrance in Future Side 5, and Ruruka was in that room when we next see her in Future Side 6 alongside Sonozuke's corpse. So when did he get that sword?

...you know, I said earlier that you shouldn't try to chronologically sort the individual events in this because that way lies madness. I just broke my own rule, and I regret it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

:stare: Searching underwears for scraps of paper is one thing, but tasting the saliva of a corpse is a whole different ballpark.

Koichi: Ace Attorney

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You'd think they'd have an Ultimate Attorney in one of these games (unless the 3rd game has one), but I guess they didn't want to cause even more comparisons between this series and Ace Attorney.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

What would the Ultimate Attorney even do? Defend the one that seems most likely to be the killer? Seems like a surefire strategy to get yourself killed at some point.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

TheMcD posted:

What would the Ultimate Attorney even do? Defend the one that seems most likely to be the killer? Seems like a surefire strategy to get yourself killed at some point.

He knows who is innocent by looking at them, and is very good at law.

Also, a surefire strategy to get yourself killed, mind you.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

have the ultimate prosecutor be there, and have said prosecutor always make very convincing cases for someone who didn't do it

it's a satire of the japanese legal system, you see

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

What would the Ultimate Attorney even do?

Be the victim of the first case. Because irony.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Look at our boy Juzo go, so determined to follow Kyosuke that he cannot he controlled by something simple like sweets. Can anyone hope to stop this hero of the people from completing his duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Be the victim of the first case. Because irony.

Be the killer of the first case. Take up the defense of the first-accused, and deliberately do badly at it.