Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean like, how many gross spitting slugs do I gotta snipe off a wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If they ever remaster the game I hope they take the liberty of removing those things in the boat section.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Were the slugs really that bad? They die in one shot and you can take them all out in advance and that part lasts like 30 minutes. I really didn't mind them. I liked how gross that area was.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It just sorta breaks the pacing. There's a lot of urgency near the end, and there's this level of excitement building as the final stretch of the game opens up. Then you gotta shoot slugs who will otherwise jizz you to death. The slugs weren't hard, just this tedious series of bumps on the road.

Have the devs said anything about the game post release? Like what they plan to do with the DLC or how they felt the game was received? Much like Prey, this game was easily one of the most memorable or me in a really long time, but also like Prey, hardly anyone touched it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

buglord posted:

It just sorta breaks the pacing. There's a lot of urgency near the end, and there's this level of excitement building as the final stretch of the game opens up. Then you gotta shoot slugs who will otherwise jizz you to death. The slugs weren't hard, just this tedious series of bumps on the road.

Yeah this. Also it was EVEN SLOWER because you are in a slow rear end boat that you have to start and stop rowing periodically to shoot from. Like maybe if it was walk a few steps, shoot 5 things, repeat it wouldn’t have been so memorably bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno I dug that area because it felt like a small callback of my favorite part of last light. Which is the part where you are driving the little railcar and there are optional stops all along the way. Not that I think the slugs were the greatest or anything. I think it would have been better with less of them and if they dropped on you instead of having a ranged attack.

Tbh I thought the shrimp's ranged attacks in Volga were way more annoying and lovely.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You could just avoid those fuckers.

Sure, I would have liked more carting but it was like the one stop to get the quad barrel really. Which then there isn’t a use for.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 16, 2019

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is my first metro and I'm a bit lost. Is there anything I should know about lore/gameplay to enjoy the game to its fullest?
Should I explore right away or go through the plot missions first? I have been avoiding killing bandits but since they are literal slavers maybe I should just kill them?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

gmq posted:

This is my first metro and I'm a bit lost. Is there anything I should know about lore/gameplay to enjoy the game to its fullest?
Should I explore right away or go through the plot missions first? I have been avoiding killing bandits but since they are literal slavers maybe I should just kill them?

Random assholes out in the world are always okay to kill. Besides that the game is usually pretty explicit when they mention a group you should try to avoid killing (if you want the good ending). Usually someone saying something to the effect of “Don’t blame these people” or “if you can avoid it...”

As for exploring you will always be able to explore until you start the very last mission in the first two areas. The third area is more of a “open” linear and has a couple points of no return.

Whistle Villain
Jul 31, 2009

gmq posted:

Lorewise? poo poo's hosed but maybe not as hosed as a lot of other post-apocalyptic fiction. Artyom, Anna, and Miller are the only characters to carry over from previous games. They're Spartan Rangers which are basically Moscow's badass brigade that goes around killing mutants and bandits and poo poo to help people. Also Artyom once committed genocide (he didn't realize what he was doing and felt bad about it afterward) but it's not really touched on in this game at all. The first two games were all about the Dark Ones and they have nothing to do with this game.

I recommend exploring as much as possible before you leave a zone. It's not too hard to figure out when you're about to finish an area. You get binoculars early on that let you mark things on your map, which helps.

Gameplaywise? You can swap filters even if the timer hasn't hit zero yet and it won't penalize you. The Karma system is on a per area basis. Depending on how good/bad you are it'll affect the outcome of that zone. If you get a white flash then you did something good. A bad flash is darker and the music cue is more ominous. If you want to play it safe then knock out everyone possible. That said, the game doesn't penalize you for killing mutants, bandits, and other shitheads. I didn't find it difficult to discern between who can/can't be killed but some people did. Don't kill the fish cult people in the first area.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. The tutorial prompts explain things well enough overall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you aren’t going to play the first two games first I’d recommend at least watching a recap on YouTube. It’s all one ongoing story and there’s references in exodus that probably won’t make much sense.

Whistle Villain
Jul 31, 2009
Or just play Redux if you got the time. They're solid games.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I think I'm getting to the end of the second/desert area (assaulting the Baron's rig) but I've still got a bunch of landmarks I've not explored. Is my current mission going to take me to the next area?

Whistle Villain
Jul 31, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

I think I'm getting to the end of the second/desert area (assaulting the Baron's rig) but I've still got a bunch of landmarks I've not explored. Is my current mission going to take me to the next area?

Yes

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Whistle Villain posted:

Or just play Redux if you got the time. They're solid games.

Yeah. I cant recommend the first two games enough. They're immersive in a way that very few games match.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really like that a lot of the explorable areas have some kind of mini set-piece with them. Just attacked a raider outpost in the Caspian and ended up in a sniper battle with Anna yelling advice over the radio.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

She actually killed the guy for me, it was the second time I’d done that setpiece. The first time she didn’t and bugged out. I’m not sure what the difference is?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maybe she did kill him, I was shooting with a scoped Kalash which is a bit unstable to use over that distance, so I assumed I shot him with a stray headshot or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You talking about the guy in the tower that gives you the sniper scope after you kill him?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw re: the scoped Kalash, the description says variable zoom, can you actually toggle the zoom on the scope?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I think you click the right stick? I'm sort of hazy on that, but it's whatever you use to zoom the binoculars.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maybe she did kill him, I was shooting with a scoped Kalash which is a bit unstable to use over that distance, so I assumed I shot him with a stray headshot or something.

The first time she definitely didn’t manage to kill him and had some dialogue saying she was bailing. I wound up going up the stairs and he has some specific “uh oh” dialogue that you get when you’re a ways up.

Second time she definitely said something like “got you bastard” and I cautiously went up the steps but dude was dead.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I assume I can give the guitar to Stephan after I’ve done the passenger cart mission, right?

Also, I killed all the bandits around that tower where the guitar was. Bandits are fair game, I hope...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yes and yes

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Farrier Theaks posted:

Yeah. I cant recommend the first two games enough. They're immersive in a way that very few games match.

They really are drat good. In the first game to get the good ending just spend some time listening to randos talk. Also dont kill the sick and feel free to save people getting executed by Nazis. Can’t remember id the Redux has the same hitbox but i killed so many Nazis sneaking up and stabbing them with the throwing knife. There is a sweet spot between the helmet and collar, back of the neck that was perfect one stab kill. So much fun

Finished the game with the good ending. My only complaints are the last bear boss in Taiga which was not fun and hardly getting to use the rail gun. I’m hoping DLC lets me bring it again. MVPs are the double barrelled ashshot, long barrelled revolver and the bloody Tihar. I neglected that gun in every other game but in this one it was a beast. Making it one of the few ammo types you can craft in the field really gave me a good reason to give it a chance. Such a good idea. Flaming Tihar shot just murdered daemons. Ashshot was surprisingly efficient. It’s reload was so drat quick that gun never failed me.

Only upgrade that just felt useless to me was the motion tracker. Noisy and just not that useful if you even halfway pay attention.

I want more Metro. GoTY candidate hands down and hoping word of mouth spreads as it’s a crime more people played fallout76 and Anthem. I just hope the dlcs give me one more Stalkeresque open level and more metro levels. I swore I saw Dark Ones a couple of times...

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Finished my play through and got the good ending. Only killed slavers and bandits, total stealth the rest of the game. I somehow missed all the postcards? I guess you need to take them off walls or something? I never noticed.

My thoughts (light spoilers):

The Bulldog with reflex sight and Ashot with double barrel were my favorite combination. All the silencer attachments on non-shotgun weapons make the game super easy if you get caught sneaking.

The game was paced a lot like HL2 in that there was a new idea for an area, all the ideas for that new area are used, and you move on. An example was a room that was built out of wood in a metro tunnel. The wood had been burned so your footing could cause collapsing when enemies attacked. Only used one time and it was fun while it lasted.

I thought the story was entertaining although the dialog is a bit strange. In how it's acted or translated or something, I can't figure out what the problem is.

It's a shame this game didn't a lot of hype on release it's really great and even compliments STALKER and Fallout in many ways.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I hate how the motion capture for the animations make it seem like no one is wearing gear. They move just too effortlessly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Post cards are super hard to see, I think I got like 4.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Post cards are super hard to see, I think I got like 4.

Don’t feel bad. I obsessively take my time and explore every crevice and I got... a little over half of them. Next replay I’ll Nab em. I just found out the named bandit in the Caspian has side quests if you don’t give him two barrels of ashshot so I’ve got a reason to replay. Still wish I could knock out guard dogs. Poor puppers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah for sure--I knew there were postcards in the game. I knew they were hard to see. I took my time and crawled through most areas. And I still only ended up with like 8-10 of them. They're super easy to overlook, particularly since there are a lot of textures and clutter that look kind of like postcards throughout the game, but can't be interacted with.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah for sure--I knew there were postcards in the game. I knew they were hard to see. I took my time and crawled through most areas. And I still only ended up with like 8-10 of them. They're super easy to overlook, particularly since there are a lot of textures and clutter that look kind of like postcards throughout the game, but can't be interacted with.
there are lots of textures and clutter that are postcards or postcard-sized photos and you have to just mouse over every bit of junk to find the real ones :effort:

Von_Doom posted:

Don’t feel bad. I obsessively take my time and explore every crevice and I got... a little over half of them. Next replay I’ll Nab em. I just found out the named bandit in the Caspian has side quests if you don’t give him two barrels of ashshot so I’ve got a reason to replay.
How exactly does it change the ending if you kill Saul? I'm on a replay now, wasting no time knocking slavers out gently, but it sounds like you have to leave Saul alive and take his deal to get the best ending in the region, but it doesn't feel right leaving the ambitious second in command alive if I really want to set the stage for the slave rebellion, especially since he jokes about having caught most of the slaves you released when he makes the offer. Is it just a morality points thing that can maybe be overcome or do you have to leave that fucker alive?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 19, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I believe you need to do all the sidequests which involve freeing slaver-held bases to get the best ending for Capsian

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I think leaving Saul alive can be one part of the puzzle but if you don’t want to you’re fine if you free other slaves/don’t hurt slaves/help Giul.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Is there a reason I would lose mods on my guns? I came back to base to swap a pistol for a kalash and the kalash scope and stock are gone from my list of mods

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Swap for a gun on the ground and forget to take the mods off the gun you put down.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mods are technically items you are carrying around the same as ammo, filters, and health packs so yeah if you just leave them somewhere that would do it.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
well dammit

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Wow I missed the Saul thing completely.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It’s easy to because I think you have to sleep at that one specific spot (as well as letting him live).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Phoenix Point and Outer Worlds fans: dehumanize yourselves and face to Epic

-regrettably, a Metro fan