Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
And yeah, without the filters (and probably some other minor touch-ups) the games can still look pretty alright at times, so long as you don't look too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'll never apologize for loving that first view as your eyes adjust to daylight, the devastated land rolling away to the distant skeleton of the Washington Monument.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Soma owns and it managed to make me feel like a complete idiot at one point.

At one point you're underwater in a deep deep dark part of the ocean. It's pitch black except for lights that make a safe path for you to traverse. You can't go to far away from the lights because there are creatures swimming around that will kill you.

It's really tense because you can kinda make out stuff swimming jusssstt out of sight the whole time and the lights start getting farther and farther apart from each other so you hear the creatures getting more active as you're sprinting for your life.

At one point you end up in a little cave tunnel which is a nice little breather. I got to the end of the tunnel, looked ahead and saw the next light way off in the distance. "Cool. That's where I need to go." So I start sprinting straight for it and right when I get to it a giant face appears, I actually jump irl and go "WHOA WHAT THE gently caress?!?" and my character dies.

It was a giant goddamn anglerfish and I fell for it's light trap like an idiot gold fish. gently caress you Soma that was a good trick you played me so hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I'll never apologize for loving that first view as your eyes adjust to daylight, the devastated land rolling away to the distant skeleton of the Washington Monument.
Bethesda is really good at these moments but never extends that sense of awe to the rest of the game world.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bethesda is really good at these moments but never extends that sense of awe to the rest of the game world.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim made up for it with just throwing in a LOT of those moments.

Maybe the meta-commentary with Fallout 3 was to make everything look like diarrhea to reflect....something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
shoot the cyberdemon until it dies

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be fair new vegas has an ugly rear end orange filter. Both games look better if you get mods that remove the filter.

I gladly take the ugly Fallout filters on low-res graphics over the piss-golden filter applied to massive 4K graphics like in the recent Deus Ex games.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
It's been a long time since I played Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation (the GBA game). But I sometimes listen to the soundtrack, and something occurred to me. There may be some spoilers below.

The game basically covers the journey of Ryusei Date, his participation in the SRX team, and the political shenanigans of the world, to say it in the broadest of strokes. Though there are two protagonists to choose, and thus two viewpoints on the matter, the story mainly follows the SRX team and the character development that comes from it. For people who are familiar with Super Robot Wars lore, some of the plot twists in it aren't really surprising, but if you don't: Late in the game, one of the characters turns traitor and gets their own theme. This also coincides with the politics being swept away to put the Aerogaters in the forefront of the threats facing the world.

What makes this a PYF, though, is that three of the four battlefield music tracks preceding that event contain a snippet of that new theme tune, effectively foreshadowing what was going to happen. Listen to the first, second, and third.

The fourth doesn't seem to have it, as it tends to be played during climactic boss battles and after the event, but maybe it's there and my ears missed it. :shobon:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kanfy posted:

Right, except nobody can quite recall where it is and the main suggestions thrown around are Chryslus Building and Springvale school which are both just normal doors with Very Hard locks.

I more or less 100%'ed that game a couple of years back and I feel like I would've made note of it if I'd come across it, so either it's somewhere else, it was patched out, or it simply never existed and people started "remembering" it after seeing that image someone made for fun.

You should just be able to use the GECK to find doors that use that model and search for every instance of them.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Double Punctuation posted:

You should just be able to use the GECK to find doors that use that model and search for every instance of them.

Eh, why bother? I accept that this door is probably apocryphal, but it does allude to the sort of gamey mechanics that limit progress regardless of context that Bethesda loves so much. Whenever I encounter locked interior office doors in this game I do inevitability ponder why I can't put any of my explosives to use, which I realize isn't much more than pedantic gotcha criticism. However, for a game supposedly based around the idea of player freedom I do often feel weirdly constrained.

But I guess this isn't the topic for that. I will say that I love finding the silverware that's fallen through the floor grates in the cafeteria of the Enclave base, that was a clever detail.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Riatsala posted:

Eh, why bother? I accept that this door is probably apocryphal, but it does allude to the sort of gamey mechanics that limit progress regardless of context that Bethesda loves so much. Whenever I encounter locked interior office doors in this game I do inevitability ponder why I can't put any of my explosives to use, which I realize isn't much more than pedantic gotcha criticism. However, for a game supposedly based around the idea of player freedom I do often feel weirdly constrained.

But I guess this isn't the topic for that. I will say that I love finding the silverware that's fallen through the floor grates in the cafeteria of the Enclave base, that was a clever detail.

Deus Ex 1 let me blow up tons of doors back in 2000, we should bring that back.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fallout 2 required you to blow through a door to progress through the tutorial dungeon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Riatsala posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling like doors shouldn't be anything more than a slightly higher speedbump compared to stairs. JRPGs, ARPGs, FPSes 3rdPFPSes, it's pretty rare that any game gives you a door that you shouldn't by all rights be able to just bust through or shoot the lock off of.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Don Gato posted:

Deus Ex 1 let me blow up tons of doors back in 2000, we should bring that back.
We should be doing a lot of stuff Deus Ex did

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

FactsAreUseless posted:

We should be doing a lot of stuff Deus Ex did

I'm already half-way to merging myself with an AI that has invaded the entire internet.

Pray for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

I'm already half-way to merging myself with an AI that has invaded the entire internet.

Pray for me.
Just lol if you don't say "I... We... YESSSS" when you orgasm.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Notch is an assbag so it kinda sucks when his game does something nice, but I've been playing a Minecraft clone out of boredeom and I really miss the mechanic where if you chop down a tree, eventually all the leaf blocks wither and vanish that Minecraft has.

Like, I get that the whole drat genre is about being mild-to-significantly :spergin: over stuff, but man, flying chunks of leaves are ugly and I don't think I can get to the level of deciding to cut them down manually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since the buyout Notch makes $0 and has 0 involvement with minecraft. Play knowing he gets nothing from you doing it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
In regards to the Fallout 3 door, there is definitely a door that is locked that you need to pick but is broken like the screenshot. I cannot remember if it is 100 skill (I am fairly sure it is not) but such a door exists. I remember being confused and wishing my character could jump through it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

shoot the cyberdemon until it dies

lol, what game is this?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brother Entropy posted:

lol, what game is this?

AC: Odyssey

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
The best Fallout door:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

plainswalker75 posted:

The best Fallout door:

There's one of these in New Vegas, but it's locked.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't help but think that someone, somewhere has used that door as Exhibit A for why Bethesda are poo poo idiot clown morons who can't design a game properly.

Anyway, something positive(?) that I took away from Watchdogs 2, regardless of its lackluster conclusion, is that somehow instead of the game rapidly aging considering its frequent ripped-from-the-headlnes subject matter instead it keeps getting more and more relevant. Not just everything that's happened with Facebook, full stop, but also poo poo like this: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/not-even-trying-2.html :psyduck:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

John Murdoch posted:

Anyway, something positive(?) that I took away from Watchdogs 2, regardless of its lackluster conclusion, is that somehow instead of the game rapidly aging considering its frequent ripped-from-the-headlnes subject matter instead it keeps getting more and more relevant. Not just everything that's happened with Facebook, full stop, but also poo poo like this: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/not-even-trying-2.html :psyduck:

Pshh this is just an ARG for an upcoming announcement of WD3

nael
Sep 10, 2009

VideoGames posted:

In regards to the Fallout 3 door, there is definitely a door that is locked that you need to pick but is broken like the screenshot. I cannot remember if it is 100 skill (I am fairly sure it is not) but such a door exists. I remember being confused and wishing my character could jump through it.

There's a mod for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A door like that is no different than all those waist high walls protagonists can never get over. "Whoops can't climb this wall gotta loop around through 6 buildings and slaughter a dozens of baddies instead"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Len posted:

A door like that is no different than all those waist high walls protagonists can never get over. "Whoops can't climb this wall gotta loop around through 6 buildings and slaughter a dozens of baddies instead"

That's what I love about battlefield 1 and V, they introduced vaulting over walls that a normal, fit soldier should vault over.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT is way better than you've heard, and I highly recommend at least giving the free Steam version a try if you like basically any Final Fantasy. It's faithful in a bunch of weird and hilarious ways, which I'm a fan of.

My favorite part of that is probably Final Fantasy Tactics' stage, the Orbonne Monastery. They decided to go for source-accuracy with that one... meaning that it is just a square of land with a building on it, floating in a blue void.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nael posted:

There's a mod for it.

I hope the mod does nothing if you have low intelligence.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I hope the mod does nothing if you have low intelligence.

ICE CREAAAAAAAAAM!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Pingiivi posted:

ICE CREAAAAAAAAAM!

If you have low Luck, the door is booby-trapped and kills you if you don’t pick it.

Low luck turns the game into Fallout: Kaizo Edition.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Final Fantasy 12 you can take airships between major cities. You can choose to either just fade to black and arrive instantly, or actually ride the airship. The airship is basically a small cruise ship with bars, shops, rooms, even a viewing deck where you can see the world pass by below. There's no reason for it to exist and there's no reason to ever use it, but I'm so glad it's there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a hunt that requires you to not just instawarp using the airship, I think?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

There is a hunt that requires you to not just instawarp using the airship, I think?
It's possible, but I don't remember it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FactsAreUseless posted:

In Final Fantasy 12 you can take airships between major cities. You can choose to either just fade to black and arrive instantly, or actually ride the airship. The airship is basically a small cruise ship with bars, shops, rooms, even a viewing deck where you can see the world pass by below. There's no reason for it to exist and there's no reason to ever use it, but I'm so glad it's there.
I the Zodiac editions, there is a 1/100 chance for an invisible treasure chest to spawn on the airship deck. This chest has a 20% chance of even containing an item, and if you have a certain accessory equipped, this item has a 5% chance to be the Seitengrad, an invisible bow that is the strongest weapon in the game.

Apart from that hilarity, there's also a sidequest where you have to ride all the possible routes the airships can take and talk with each of the flight attendants there, because there's seven sisters doing the job and they're pestered by seven brothers who want to marry them, and there's a bet that if you can speak to all the sisters, they don't have to marry the brothers, who they hate. If you manage to win the bet for the sisters, they give you some actually kinda nice stuff!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Simply Simon posted:

I the Zodiac editions, there is a 1/100 chance for an invisible treasure chest to spawn on the airship deck. This chest has a 20% chance of even containing an item, and if you have a certain accessory equipped, this item has a 5% chance to be the Seitengrad, an invisible bow that is the strongest weapon in the game.

Apart from that hilarity, there's also a sidequest where you have to ride all the possible routes the airships can take and talk with each of the flight attendants there, because there's seven sisters doing the job and they're pestered by seven brothers who want to marry them, and there's a bet that if you can speak to all the sisters, they don't have to marry the brothers, who they hate. If you manage to win the bet for the sisters, they give you some actually kinda nice stuff!

That sounds insufferable and the devs should be savagely beaten for coming up with something so dumb.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The bow is by far unnecessary and pretty much a joke. Also, yeah, there's a hunt on an airship - where else would you expect to find Doomgaze?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Screaming Idiot posted:

That sounds insufferable and the devs should be savagely beaten for coming up with something so dumb.

I was going to say, did they seriously not learn anything from the complaints about the Zodiac Spear? Which was the infamous obscure superweapon from the original version of the game that could only be obtained if you did not open several specific chests throughout the entire game in a way that was 100% impossible to know without a guide. But it looks like they fixed that and you can acquire the Zodiac Spear by sane means now, and they added two more even more obscenely difficult to acquire (but not permanently missable) superweapons to compensate. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's a debug weapon they threw in to the remake for fun. It is, in fact, the players who are wrong.