Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

I've started doing this in every game. +10% science is good stuff.

Especially now that you probably have almost all of your researchers on 1–3 planets. And it's decent exp for when you run out of space to survey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

I don’t know that I’ve ever used the button. If you right click the planet with the science ship selected it should putter over there, enter orbit and start helping. Never been an issue with that for me.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, i'll check it again thanks folks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Twlight posted:

I'm in a late game and I have a question about science ships. In previous versions I would pare down to a single science ship ( This is after the galaxy has been mapped out ) then park it wherever I was getting the most science output. I've attempted this in my current game ( 2.2.6, galiv AI mod, gulili's planet modifiers ) and i'll click the "assist research" button but the ships don't seem to do anything. Do i need to enter orbit first? I'm missing something obvious I'm just not sure what.
Without screenshots or anything its hard to say, especially when you have mods, but if you have a scientist in the science ship, if you right click on the planet you want them to assist on research, then select the Assist Research Option, the science ship should move to the planet and start assisting.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Staltran posted:

And it's decent exp for when you run out of space to survey.

I like to keep at least 2 scientists doing Assist once surveying is done, simply so I have a replacement for my primary researchers in case they die. Or in case I trigger the Horizon Signal. Or in case I need a different specialty than the ones I have.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ConfusedUs posted:

I like to keep at least 2 scientists doing Assist once surveying is done, simply so I have a replacement for my primary researchers in case they die. Or in case I trigger the Horizon Signal. Or in case I need a different specialty than the ones I have.
All of these things are great, especially now that there is no cap on leaders but they have upkeep instead. As long as you are makin' the money you might as well do it.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Doesn't every planet produce some science? With the aforementioned changes to leaders, why not have a science ship over every planet? Is there a point that it's not worth it?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Leaders cost maintenance (and science ships too, though only 1 energy/month I think). And if a planet has no researchers/culture workers I don't see how it would produce science unless there's a dimensional portal. Personally I'm not a huge fan of culture workers and don't have a lot of them, and often have most of them concentrated in ecumenopoleis later. But even if you build the autochton line everywhere it won't give you much science, and likely isn't worth getting another scientist for if there aren't any labs on the planet. (You might still want the scientist for their specialty, of course).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Loel posted:

Unrelated how do I kill AI

My fleet is about 600 of these

And various other vassal/integrated xeno ships.

You need shields - they're all about anti-armor and penetration weapons, so arguably if you're refitting to fight specifically against them you'd want no armor in your slots but shields and crystal hull boosters. I'd probably also go auto cannon instead of rail gun for the +hull of auto cannon.

I'd also advise having battleships. Just corvettes is gonna be rough imo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Splicer posted:

I was looking for an old post and I found someone talking about a mod which started you with destroyers rather than corvettes. So you could research bigger or smaller. I thought that was a neat idea.

Yeah that was my mod. I haven't updated it in a while though. It played really well, especially with the change to make destroyers the best at disengaging.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

Leaders cost maintenance (and science ships too, though only 1 energy/month I think). And if a planet has no researchers/culture workers I don't see how it would produce science unless there's a dimensional portal. Personally I'm not a huge fan of culture workers and don't have a lot of them, and often have most of them concentrated in ecumenopoleis later. But even if you build the autochton line everywhere it won't give you much science, and likely isn't worth getting another scientist for if there aren't any labs on the planet. (You might still want the scientist for their specialty, of course).
Yeah culture workers are weird. They'd be better if there were more green techs or less green space research. As it is all they do is make it more obvious how crazy low engineering tech is.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Starting with destroyers and specializing smaller sounds like a good idea. Give Corvettes a small buff to their cost or effectiveness to make them a more viable development path while we're at it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Assist research provides almost no XP anymore though. We’re talking like 5xp a month.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Demiurge4 posted:

Assist research provides almost no XP anymore though. We’re talking like 5xp a month.

Actually you're talking 3 per month. However, you need to realize that leading research is only 3.5 per month (these have been the same since 2.2, but maybe longer?). This means that it isn't faster to run assist research and swap guys around and poo poo. Instead, as long as you stagger your researcher ages a bit you should have a replacement of decent level ready to go when needed.

Splicer posted:

Yeah culture workers are weird. They'd be better if there were more green techs or less green space research. As it is all they do is make it more obvious how crazy low engineering tech is.

I think the problem is that outside of a couple early green techs, you have just a swathe of techs that feel like they're best used for redrawing your card set while you dig for a specific tech later on. A lot of them aren't bad, but compared to nearly any yellow tech and like half the blue techs they're not impactful.

Most green space research comes from anomalies, which I think I'm ok with. Civics (or poo poo, green techs) that granted some amount of blue/yellow tech to certain jobs would be interesting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm at war with someone who's colonizing a planet. It's their last planet, yet I can't invade it and orbital bombardment does nothing.

What the gently caress?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Demiurge4 posted:

I forgot they nerfed that. Still more than zero though, and you can run out of stuff to survey pretty early if your neighbours don't like you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm at war with someone who's colonizing a planet. It's their last planet, yet I can't invade it and orbital bombardment does nothing.

What the gently caress?

Let the colonising complete, then invade?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bloodly posted:

Let the colonising complete, then invade?

Looks like I broke their economy and every month it takes one more month to advance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Demiurge4 posted:

It's 3xp, I think. Just a bit less than leading research.

That's why it's important to get your backup scientists assisting research early, so they're up to level 3-4 when your level 5 guys die. Minimal transition time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

Most green space research comes from anomalies, which I think I'm ok with. Civics (or poo poo, green techs) that granted some amount of blue/yellow tech to certain jobs would be interesting.
Someone was suggesting (or there was a mod) that added some sort of engineering job to certain buildings. I think the 1 of those jobs for Ministry of Production or whatever it is and maybe the 1 for the improved Energy/Mining/Food buildings and 2 for the advanced? Something definitely needs to be done.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like I broke their economy and every month it takes one more month to advance.

Send them a bunch of energy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you playing on some old version?

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Economy#Shortages

None of those should be preventing the colony from growing, and colonies don't cost upkeep or anything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What the gently caress?

Bombarding should roll back the process, but it does so slooooowly. Back in 2.2.4 I had an AI (a megacorp, not a purifier or anything) bombard one of my in progress planets forever and it eventually reverted back to a virgin planet, but I think it took two years.

Does it make progress if you stop your fleet from bombarding?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My first 2.2.6 game and all 3 of my neighbours are criminal syndicates. Out of 15 empires spawned, 3 are criminals. Not a single normal corporation. Time to build some enforcers and get on war footing...

I wish we had some sliders on galaxy creation for ethos/empire type weights and maybe even just straight up toggles for criminal empires because gently caress are they a pain to have around on a map.

But so often I wish I could start a game where organic life is the oddity and most empires are machines, or there's way more hives, or way more generally nasty and aggressive societies like xenophobic militarists.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah that was my mod. I haven't updated it in a while though. It played really well, especially with the change to make destroyers the best at disengaging.

wiegieman posted:

Starting with destroyers and specializing smaller sounds like a good idea. Give Corvettes a small buff to their cost or effectiveness to make them a more viable development path while we're at it.
If you started with destroyers then corvettes wouldn't need to be all rounders anymore, so you could ditch PD and missiles on corvettes while buffing their raw damage and restoring their escape chance. So if you go small you'd have corvettes as your raw damage output with destroyers as your source of PD and missiles. If you go big you have cruisers and battleships as raw damage output and destroyers as your defence line.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

My first 2.2.6 game and all 3 of my neighbours are criminal syndicates. Out of 15 empires spawned, 3 are criminals. Not a single normal corporation. Time to build some enforcers and get on war footing...

I wish we had some sliders on galaxy creation for ethos/empire type weights and maybe even just straight up toggles for criminal empires because gently caress are they a pain to have around on a map.

But so often I wish I could start a game where organic life is the oddity and most empires are machines, or there's way more hives, or way more generally nasty and aggressive societies like xenophobic militarists.

Just make deals with crime lords, you don't get negative events and you get bonus stability. If you're really worried about crime and you're not married to an ascension path, go psychic for the crazy crime reduction.

It takes some work, but for the 2nd option you can whip up a pile of custom races that fit that profile and set them to force spawn. Having some better interface for weights would be a ton less hassle though. Also agree that I'd like to see better spreads of ethos types, because while it might just be remembrance bias having like 80% of your empire be 1 of 2 types of space rear end in a top hat can get tiring.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have a question that is too stupid for the wiki to explain. What do you do as a corporation? There's an expansion penalty, and I see mentions of things like "subsidiaries" and "branch offices", but how do you make one of those? I got a trade agreement with another nation, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything unusual. :saddowns:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZypherIM posted:

Just make deals with crime lords, you don't get negative events and you get bonus stability. If you're really worried about crime and you're not married to an ascension path, go psychic for the crazy crime reduction.

It takes some work, but for the 2nd option you can whip up a pile of custom races that fit that profile and set them to force spawn. Having some better interface for weights would be a ton less hassle though. Also agree that I'd like to see better spreads of ethos types, because while it might just be remembrance bias having like 80% of your empire be 1 of 2 types of space rear end in a top hat can get tiring.

I always play shared burden and they just seem to be naturally crime free. An upgraded capital's enforces are usually enough to keep even a fully upgraded criminal based at like 20% crime, but to actually kill the base you need an enforcer hall to get that poo poo to 0%. I don't even think 10-30% crime really has any effects on a planet? I just hate the idea that my citizens are being preyed on.

I wish criminal AI's were a bit smarter about their locations. Maybe the shared burden empire that always has 0% crime and shuts down your based as fast as possible every time is a bad investment? Maybe pick someone else to bother?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I know being Spiritualist is technically suboptimal with the current growth meta but I'm loving have planets with 90+ stability and zero crime by virtue of psionics and Psi Corps. My population is 30%-40% slaves and I have had nothing to worry about with them revolting. Its great.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Splicer posted:

If you started with destroyers then corvettes wouldn't need to be all rounders anymore, so you could ditch PD and missiles on corvettes while buffing their raw damage and restoring their escape chance. So if you go small you'd have corvettes as your raw damage output with destroyers as your source of PD and missiles. If you go big you have cruisers and battleships as raw damage output and destroyers as your defence line.

Torpedo Boat is a fantastic archetype for corvettes though. There is no destroyer missile variant, so in my version of this scenario if you want missiles you gotta go either bigger or smaller, but until you do they're exclusively a starbase/outpost/platform weapon. Which cuts down a lot on the early PD, and obviously makes the first apparence of mass missiles more impactful until everyone adjusts to it.

Incidentally, I've found those distinct types of ship all work a lot better with the combat speed scaled down (there's a mod called "Slow Speed Battles") and the combat starting distance multiplier bumped up - those two combined mean long range weapons actually have time to do work, formations have time to separate out into their distinct distances and fast ships actually get a benefit from being fast.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 15, 2019

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So I've been doing some thinking, and it seems like high living standards are kind of a trap. They work by increasing happiness, and by proxy stability, but happiness itself means very little. Like the idea seems to be that in more stratified societies you have to counteract the low happiness of your plebeian classes and keep them in line somehow, but the only consequence to their unhappiness is a bit of crime, which is trivial to keep at 0 and not even particularly bad if you can't. Meanwhile high living standards cost far too much for the increased stability to offset. The only concrete benefit to them that I can see is unemployed pops not dragging down stability, and even then it'd be more productive for them to do almost anything else.

Side note, but it also seems like Egalitarian empires are softlocked out of being trade powers because clerks (the only easily attained job that increases trade power) produce so little that they only really make a profit if they have terrible living standards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Incidentally, I've found those distinct types of ship all work a lot better with the combat speed scaled down (there's a mod called "Slow Speed Battles") and the combat starting distance multiplier bumped up - those two combined mean long range weapons actually have time to do work, formations have time to separate out into their distinct distances and fast ships actually get a benefit from being fast.
How is combat start determined? Is it affected by fleet composition or is it a static distance?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 15, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

How is combat start determined? Is it affected by fleet composition or is it a static distance?

Range of your longest weapon.

E: Or rather, range of the longest weapon in the combat, that determines the range at which fleets lock into combat mode.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 15, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just enjoy the thought of my pops having high happiness. :shobon:

Speaking of ships, I'm using the following in each fleet:
20 corvettes: torpedo, autocannon
5 destroyers: 3 flak, 2 autocannons
5 cruisers: 6 medium plasma
13 battleships: tachyon lance, 3 kinetic artillery, 1 neutron launcher
1 titan: perdition beam, 6 neutron launchers

I assume it's actually terrible but it seems to work at the moment.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Poil posted:

I just enjoy the thought of my pops having high happiness. :shobon:

I do too, Shared Burdens is my favorite civic, and not having to micromanage pops as closely is nice. I just wish I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by not using Stratified Economy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

prefect posted:

I have a question that is too stupid for the wiki to explain. What do you do as a corporation? There's an expansion penalty, and I see mentions of things like "subsidiaries" and "branch offices", but how do you make one of those? I got a trade agreement with another nation, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything unusual. :saddowns:

If you have a trade agreement with another nation (if you're a criminal corporation, you dont need one), you can click on one of their planets. There will ba a new tab, the corporate tab. On that tab, there will be a button that says Open Branch Office. Doing that will give you monthly energy income based on a percentage of that planet's trade value.

Once you've built a branch office, and the population of the planet is high enough, you'll be able to build other buildings on the corporate tab, which will give both you and the planet you're on, bonuses, ranging from straight up food/minerals/energy to new available jobs, to research, to naval capacity or whatever.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Splicer posted:

It's a multiplier to the range of your longest ranged weapon.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Can the game populate the galaxy with multiple copies of Earth if you set a bunch of different versions of humans being allowed to spawn? It'd be cool to run into one of my custom human empires, but not so much if more than one spawns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THE loving MOON posted:

Can the game populate the galaxy with multiple copies of Earth if you set a bunch of different versions of humans being allowed to spawn? It'd be cool to run into one of my custom human empires, but not so much if more than one spawns.

The game should check if your empire is starting on earth and not place any of the other versions pre-warp earth that can spawn. That was a problem when the game shipped but has been fixed for a long time. It also means as someone who always plays humans I've never really gotten to see all the cool earth's that can form.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I do too, Shared Burdens is my favorite civic, and not having to micromanage pops as closely is nice. I just wish I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by not using Stratified Economy.

Shared Burdens is amazing, and I wish it was available to Egalitarian+Democracy and not just Fanatic+Democracy. I want to try it with both a Barbaric Despoilers empire as well as an Inward Perfection, but that's impossible with the current civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Buddy of mine finally dug up his LP of a machine run from last year, its a good read. Would people want to see it here or nah?