Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

My favorite Price anecdote is that he was the guest of honor at the grand opening of my local mall in 1971

Schaumburg knows what's up.

And yeah, Dr. Phibes is awesome because Price gives an iconic performance without ever speaking on-camera. The bottom half of his face is completely off the table but he still kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Basebf555 posted:

Watched Dolls for the first time since finally seeing a few Puppetmaster films this past year, and yea I definitely have to agree that Dolls is better than any of them. Not that I'm the most unbiased person around when it comes to Gordon, but the level of craft in all aspects really elevates it above anything Full Moon has done.

Dolls is also a pretty reliable crowd-pleaser, especially if part of your crowd is hesitant to watch horror. I do a birthday movie night most years, and that's probably the one that got the best overall reaction. It wanders back and forth between feeling like a weird dream and an even weirder nightmare, and the pace is solid enough to keep that atmosphere going.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Re: Vincent Price chat, I saw The Raven for the first time on the big screen last night. Dunno what to say other than what a wacky movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Re: Vincent Price chat, I saw The Raven for the first time on the big screen last night. Dunno what to say other than what a wacky movie.

You 100% have to go with it because there's no way to guess what you might expect from a film adaptation of The Raven.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You 100% have to go with it because there's no way to guess what you might expect from a film adaptation of The Raven.

The guy who introduced it mentioned that a lot of the Price and Lorre scenes were improvised which makes total sense since those scenes feel like an elaborate "yes, and" routine. There's even a bit where they just have Peter Lorre try on a bunch of silly hats.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The guy who introduced it mentioned that a lot of the Price and Lorre scenes were improvised which makes total sense since those scenes feel like an elaborate "yes, and" routine. There's even a bit where they just have Peter Lorre try on a bunch of silly hats.

It proves hats for mages are almost always awful looking.

The mage fight has always been my favorite. It shaped my idea of what a fight between two casters would be, and pretty much had me let down when I tabletopped D&D.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

The mage fight has always been my favorite. It shaped my idea of what a fight between two casters would be, and pretty much had me let down when I tabletopped D&D.

The costumes are absolutely one of the funniest parts of the movie

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

you have to realize that D&D is a really really overgrown wargame where the wizards use the rules for tanks and the fighters are just squads of infantry. and everyone's defenses are actually naval armor setups.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

you have to realize that D&D is a really really overgrown wargame where the wizards use the rules for tanks and the fighters are just squads of infantry. and everyone's defenses are actually naval armor setups.

I know that now, but the younger me who snapped up the redbox basic edition, it was a let down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Oh, Arivia already covered the naval combat part, which is hilarious. Although I thought wizards were artillery, rather than tanks. Hence their fragility and the huge emphasis on the danger of friendly fire wrt their signature attacks (prior to later editions, anyways.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, Arivia already covered the naval combat part, which is hilarious. Although I thought wizards were artillery, rather than tanks. Hence their fragility and the huge emphasis on the danger of friendly fire wrt their signature attacks (prior to later editions, anyways.)

Oh right artillery, you’re right. Took a little bit to tease the different influences apart in my mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The magical duel in The Raven is probably only topped by the wine tasting in Tales of Terror.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The magical duel in The Raven is probably only topped by the wine tasting in Tales of Terror.

You just solved a huge mystery for me...I saw the wine tasting scene when I was young and have been trying to remember what movie its from FOREVER but all I had to go on was "old movie where people drink wine" and now you've solved the mystery because the scene I was thinking of was from ToT!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

You just solved a huge mystery for me...I saw the wine tasting scene when I was young and have been trying to remember what movie its from FOREVER but all I had to go on was "old movie where people drink wine" and now you've solved the mystery because the scene I was thinking of was from ToT!

You should have simply watched every movie until you discovered what movie this scene was in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You should have simply watched every movie until you discovered what movie this scene was in.

Never underestimate the amount of pooled knowledge in this thread. Someone could definitely come in here and be like "hey there was a movie with a wine tasting but I can't remember what it was called..." and within 30 minutes that collage image of all the Price faces would be posted.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Never underestimate the amount of pooled knowledge in this thread. Someone could definitely come in here and be like "hey there was a movie with a wine tasting but I can't remember what it was called..." and within 30 minutes that collage image of all the Price faces would be posted.

You just gotta feed your punchcard into the Hollisbot, and no matter how obscure the film it will return a result.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i remember a while ago i found this gif and for DAYS nobody in the discord could find where its from and we posted it itt and some guy found it and it was from like an obscure German short film that if you googled you'd barely even find evidence existed. That was p impressive

Anyone remember that? It was like witches eating a baby in a barn or something like that

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

i remember a while ago i found this gif and for DAYS nobody in the discord could find where its from and we posted it itt and some guy found it and it was from like an obscure German short film that if you googled you'd barely even find evidence existed. That was p impressive

Anyone remember that? It was like witches eating a baby in a barn or something like that

Yeah it’s why I ended up watching Witchery (which was not it). There is a scene with witches eating a baby in it though, it’s just not nearly as impressive looking as what you posted.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Please stop watching my grandma's home movies. Those are private.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

drat, now I want to see that gif.

Longest it ever took me for a gif to be identified started back when I worked for AOL something like 11 years ago. I'd just met the other serious horror fan in the call center who was also a supervisor and he pulled me off the phones to try and figure what movie a gif was from. It was a hand on a cutting board getting the fingers sliced off in one smooth motion. I figured it was from the 80s since it didn't have the grainy quality of a 70s film and just didn't have the feel of something 90s or later. It bothered me more than I would've admit that here is a bit from a horror film and I can't identify it? I was actually offended with myself for not knowing what film this was from.

Wasn't until I signed up with Shudder that I finally saw the scene. Naturally now that I need the title, I've brainfarted on it. But it was from the 80s and was about this video rental place run by lunatics who were filming murders and renting them out as movies to other lunatics. It even managed a sequel. Since I've kept in touch with the guy all these years, I emailed him on the spot with the title. We think it's the longest it's taken to identify a movie clip.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Kvlt! posted:

I remember that. It was like the most amazing thing I’ve seen and it really solidified this as the best thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kvlt! posted:

I remember that one. It turned out to be an adaption of The Magic Mountain.

Funnily enough, IIRC the film itself was actually fairly high-profile (and the novel of course a well-regarded classic), it just never ran outside of central Europe, so no one in the Anglosphere ever heard about it.

Edit: Here's the scene in question.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 15, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I already have people on my facebook outraged over this. Me, I'm curious to see it when the time comes.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...V8hRxtcprbWTEjc

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Honestly if you have strong opinions about the loving Banana Splits in TYOOL 2019 you should probably just pack it up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

Honestly if you have strong opinions about the loving Banana Splits in TYOOL 2019 you should probably just pack it up.

So far it's been called a sacrilege, part of the trend of things like Riverdale turning Archie and friends cheap and trashy, a few calling it a rip off of 5 Nights at Freddies along with wondering the the guy behind 5 Nights is going to sue, and one insistence that it better be the Sour Grapes gang and the Dillys who are the villains. More than a few are already proclaiming it a failure like every adaptation of shows from the 60s & 70s that weren't properly faithful to the original series.

This just proves nerds don't have a monopoly on whining about media.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

That was indeed my finest hour both in a horror thread and possibly as a human being in general. The gif in question:

NSFW - https:/ /i.imgur.com /SHf2uQH.gifv

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Circling back to the Vincent Price chat, when my dad was a kid, he met Vincent Price one time and I really can’t think of anything else I’m more jealous about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just watched The Void. It didn't really grab me until they go into the subbasement and a monster is just sliding it's head up and down a pipe sticking out of the wall. that was wonderfully gross.

Also is it me or is the ending a homage to The Beyond?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 16, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also is it me or is the ending a homage to The Beyond?

Definitely seemed like it to me, yea.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah that movie is a lot of other horror movies mashed together. But for something made with $180,000 it's fuckin' awesome.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

So far it's been called a sacrilege, part of the trend of things like Riverdale turning Archie and friends cheap and trashy, a few calling it a rip off of 5 Nights at Freddies along with wondering the the guy behind 5 Nights is going to sue, and one insistence that it better be the Sour Grapes gang and the Dillys who are the villains. More than a few are already proclaiming it a failure like every adaptation of shows from the 60s & 70s that weren't properly faithful to the original series.

This just proves nerds don't have a monopoly on whining about media.

What else would you call someone who cares about the banana splits and to what extent something rips off five nights at Freddie’s?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

I already have people on my facebook outraged over this. Me, I'm curious to see it when the time comes.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...V8hRxtcprbWTEjc

This is the coolest poo poo though? And seriously, caring about the Banana Splits looool.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any of you motherfuckers have experience with running haunted houses?

I might get a chance to design and operate one next Halloween season and am looking for any tips and tricks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah that movie is a lot of other horror movies mashed together. But for something made with $180,000 it's fuckin' awesome.

The Void was made on $180K? Holy poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was stunned, you can sorta of see it in the performances and stuff but like, drat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They managed to make it look like it cost at least 2 million for less than quarter of a million which is a triumph in itself.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The Void is very pretty. I just wish it was an overall better movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah it was not even from a horror movie.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Fart City posted:

The Void is very pretty. I just wish it was an overall better movie.

Echoing this sentiment. It was great to look at, but definitely felt style over substance for me. I think if the characters had been a bit more fleshed out it would have made a big difference, but as it stood I didn’t know enough about any of them to particularly care what happened to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doctor Faustine posted:

Echoing this sentiment. It was great to look at, but definitely felt style over substance for me. I think if the characters had been a bit more fleshed out it would have made a big difference, but as it stood I didn’t know enough about any of them to particularly care what happened to them.

I was the opposite, I like how fast things go to poo poo in it a lot and how it still managed to have a few unexpected turns in the process but doing that. It worked really well for me but a lot of that is because the style was extremely effective to me and like, I will forgive a LOT in a movie if the style works for me. But The Void is already in the pretty good area in general so I love it. And I will say, the editing is REALLY good for a very low budget flick, the way it goes from dreamy to poo poo hitting the fan and back so smoothly.