Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CeallaSo posted:

As soon as you have the ability to cast Blind. I don't recall whether the boss you fight when you use it has Blind (thus allowing you to Draw-Cast it) but if so, then yeah, the answer is ASAP.

Thanks. I have Blind. I'm assuming that's its weakness?

Cool I will use it after redoing the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

It has two moves and if you cast Blind, the only one of its moves that can hit is Demi, which literally can't kill you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Cool I will use it after redoing the train.

It gives you a GF, theres no reason to wait and that GF gives you encounter none.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

It gives you a GF, theres no reason to wait and that GF gives you encounter none.

Oh so I can do it literally any time? Like literally on the train? LOL

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hell yeah you can smoke that lamp till you get so high the world turns black and you fight the devil.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Relin posted:

i think my fave thing about ff12 is how quickenings do less damage per second than just auto attacking. i tried on several high hp foes

what the gently caress square

EDIT: nevermind i didnt take into account fastforward lol
I only used it for THE WALL since it kept killing me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I been playing through the Final Fantasy games of late, but want to go back to the first two again after not having beat them since the PS1 release. Problem is what the best version to play for these. I am leaning toward PS1 for FF1 since the GBA and on version were too easy. That said I am thinking the PSP version of 2.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
GAH all this chat about FFVIII is making me want to boot it up because I played it straight as a youth and didn't break it over my knee. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Relin posted:

i think my fave thing about ff12 is how quickenings do less damage per second than just auto attacking. i tried on several high hp foes

what the gently caress square

EDIT: nevermind i didnt take into account fastforward lol

I mean the main advantage is that time is frozen and you aren't taking any damage. Also, how many are you chaining up? I remember getting a pretty decent amount of damage out of them once I'd gotten the hang of chaining a shitton.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rirse posted:

I been playing through the Final Fantasy games of late, but want to go back to the first two again after not having beat them since the PS1 release. Problem is what the best version to play for these. I am leaning toward PS1 for FF1 since the GBA and on version were too easy. That said I am thinking the PSP version of 2.

Both those are fine. PS1 is probably the definitive version of FF1 since it’s the original with bug fixes and a new presentation without all the changes that make the GBA version easier.

As for FF2, the newer the version, the less tedious it gets, and the easier it gets to break the game in half. And FF2 is like FF8 in that if you’re playing for the gameplay, the fun is really in breaking things as ridiculously as possible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DeadButDelicious posted:

GAH all this chat about FFVIII is making me want to boot it up because I played it straight as a youth and didn't break it over my knee. :(

i beat ultima weapon without understanding junctioning at all

not entirely sure how i did it but it sucked a lot

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My last play through of FF8

Aw man this music is so good
Aw man Balamb Garden! Yesss
Ok so I can do 9999 now and I haven’t met Rinoa yet
I guess I’ll do encounter none and kill bosses in one hit

What exactly am I playing here

A wonderful thing

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Both those are fine. PS1 is probably the definitive version of FF1 since it’s the original with bug fixes and a new presentation without all the changes that make the GBA version easier.

As for FF2, the newer the version, the less tedious it gets, and the easier it gets to break the game in half. And FF2 is like FF8 in that if you’re playing for the gameplay, the fun is really in breaking things as ridiculously as possible.

Sounds good. I did like FF2J when I played it back in the day. Then again I really love SaGa Frontier and Final Fantasy Legends 2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2 does have a weird appeal to it once you understand the nuances of its mechanics. Beating yourself up for HP is actually a trap, Agility and Evasion are god stats, and you want to have one frontliner and two pure mages starting mid-game. Never wear heavy armor unless your evasion can take the penalty hit. Toad and Osmose are god-tier spells.

Just all that will let you cheese the vast majority of encounters. If the game's pacing and the dungeon design weren't utter garbage it'd actually be close to a good game!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just wish they let you can keep the cool pirate lady.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
basically anyone would've been more interesting than leon, except perhaps josef

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there like a recommended level for trial mode in XII

I've done most of the stuff for the platinum trophy except completing the bestiary and fighting Yiazmat/I've got the tournesol and some other strong gear but I don't wanna get to like trial 90+ and hit a roadblock

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Help Im Alive posted:

I've done most of the stuff for the platinum trophy except completing the bestiary and fighting Yiazmat/I've got the tournesol and some other strong gear but I don't wanna get to like trial 90+ and hit a roadblock

wtf is wrong with your Basch

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Forget that, why is all his party's levels all over the place?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been using Ashe as the leader and was switching the other party members in and out to keep them all evenly leveled but somewhere around 50-55 Penelo/Balthier started getting ahead of Fran/Vaan because magic has been v useful in some of these later dungeons

I like basch but it's one party member too many to manage and I don't really care about the jobs I gave him idk

also i don't like his strange red jacket

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 14, 2019

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Machinist is not great, it's true, but Monk is incredibly good and it's pretty weird to pick Basch out of everyone in this party as the weirdly dressed one

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I always hated Basch's outfit. It looks like he's wearing a potholder and clothes that don't fit him. The clothes he stole off the dead guy in the Barheim Passage when you first got him would've been a big improvement.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I like it cause it really reminds me of the wacky, offbeat costumes you found in Vagrant Story

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

FF2 does have a weird appeal to it once you understand the nuances of its mechanics. Beating yourself up for HP is actually a trap, Agility and Evasion are god stats, and you want to have one frontliner and two pure mages starting mid-game. Never wear heavy armor unless your evasion can take the penalty hit. Toad and Osmose are god-tier spells.

Just all that will let you cheese the vast majority of encounters. If the game's pacing and the dungeon design weren't utter garbage it'd actually be close to a good game!
They changed how heavy equipment worked on the PSP?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Merilan posted:

I like it cause it really reminds me of the wacky, offbeat costumes you found in Vagrant Story

... which is also set in Ivalice!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Help Im Alive posted:

If you can do Yiazmat, you can do Trial Mode. If you can't, you probably can't - floor 81 is a bitch (buy Warp Motes before you go in), floors 95-99 are rough (sure, the HP is scaled down, but it's literally just refights of everything), and even cheesing floor 100 with Zeromus doesn't make it easy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Beat Diablos. Yay. Took forever for Blind to finally hit but it worked eventually.

Time to grind fish cards.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Elephant Ambush posted:

... which is also set in Ivalice!

:yeah:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Btw you can one hit kill the train boss in FFVIII through the use of a common item because basically every single FF game is legally obligated to have a boss you can chump with this trick.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Btw you can one hit kill the train boss in FFVIII through the use of a common item because basically every single FF game is legally obligated to have a boss you can chump with this trick.

What is the item?

And you mean fake mutant president right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

What is the item?

And you mean fake mutant president right?

Yep. I cant believe Im spoilering this phoenix down

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it also works much later in the game on abadon but it has a miss chance because it has at least 10k hp

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Random question, what would you do for FF16?

I'd love something like a travelling caravan done similarly to the RDR2 one mechanically but like travelling a barely inhabited frontier or fallen kingdom.

Also heavy on the fantasy. I loved 15 but really think moogles and nonhumans were painfully missing.

Or a low key modern setting in some rural town that is also heavy on the fantasy (so like Twinpeaks but with moogles and monsters are just kind of a thing).

I want them to learn from the lessons of the past and STOP TRYING TO BE A MOVIE STUDIO.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread. Since this is the catch-all Square thread, the advice for Romancing Saga 2 is to read an online instruction manual if your version didn’t come with one and then to just wing it for the real SaGa experience, right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Beat Diablos. Yay. Took forever for Blind to finally hit but it worked eventually.

Time to grind fish cards.
Grinding out enc-half or enc+none is kind of meh. Just keep going through the game carding what you can to get a better variety of cards and you'll get enc skills naturally when you are tired of combat that you need to do to progress anyway.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Schwartzcough posted:

I always hated Basch's outfit. It looks like he's wearing a potholder and clothes that don't fit him. The clothes he stole off the dead guy in the Barheim Passage when you first got him would've been a big improvement.

For me it's the fact that he's naturally inclined towards heavy armor, but in reality will always be wearing shorts and gladiator sandals. His look just doesn't seem to mesh with his character at all.

I bounced off the initial release of 12 hard a couple of times, but I've been absolutely loving TZA. Nearly to the end of the story now (just finished up at the Great Crystal), and I'm liking it enough that I'll probably continue to do a lot of the Hunts and other side stuff. The job system, and especially the dual-job change for the remaster, is a huge improvement over the original.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

zedprime posted:

Grinding out enc-half or enc+none is kind of meh. Just keep going through the game carding what you can to get a better variety of cards and you'll get enc skills naturally when you are tired of combat that you need to do to progress anyway.

I don't recall there being a convenient, readily-available method to bring enemies to critical HP for carding, other than blowing several Demi spells every fight. Getting in normal random encounters and trying to card everything sounds really frustrating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Scan is readily available to draw and cast and your own damage is usually reliable. When it isn't, who cares, you aren't playing a perfect no experience game so if you get some experience with the AP so what.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fight every random encounter so you get to hear VIII's battle theme as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't recall there being a convenient, readily-available method to bring enemies to critical HP for carding, other than blowing several Demi spells every fight. Getting in normal random encounters and trying to card everything sounds really frustrating.

Quistis has Micro Missiles as part of her Blue Magic, which is Better Demi. It reduces enemy HP by 1/2, 3/4, 7/8ths or 15/16ths depending on her Crisis Level.