Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like "let's talk about implementing Tetris" might be interesting and informative to discuss, but actually coding/whiteboarding it? With any amount of language accuracy? :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like "let's talk about implementing Tetris" might be interesting and informative to discuss, but actually coding/whiteboarding it? With any amount of language accuracy? :barf:

It was a simplified version, I didn't have to do any graphics and didn't have to conform to the rules 100% for example I make all pieces just rotate around their top left bounding box corner.

Kinda tempted to code it up now, I've been meaning to do a project with webass'd rust as the backend and js as the frontend and this is a good candidate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HoboMan posted:

this is the hardest decision ive had to make. i got an offer at a well established consulting place and a startup with 3 years runway.

the startup pays over 20% more and is a lot nicer commute but they are a startup and all work on macs and there is rumor of groovy lurking somewhere in thier code base (which they thankfully acknowledged as a mistake they are correcting).

the established place has real nice people that i feel really bad turning down and has job security and acutal training time and programs set aside for bettering myself, but im pretty sure most of my work will be taking 10 year old mountains of enterprise code debt and making them halfway usable. also the aforementioned less pay

if you would prefer the established place, why don't you just tell them that?

"I like this opportunity more, but i've been offered 20% more by someone else"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The weird thing about that particular whiteboard problem is that Tetris pieces do not, strictly speaking, rotate. There isn't a physics engine at work here. If you spin a piece around its midpoint then you're liable to end up with a misalignment. The rotations are individually hard-coded.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doom Mathematic posted:

The weird thing about that particular whiteboard problem is that Tetris pieces do not, strictly speaking, rotate. There isn't a physics engine at work here. If you spin a piece around its midpoint then you're liable to end up with a misalignment. The rotations are individually hard-coded.

this is probably one of the first things they expect you to figure out

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Is it weird if I thought a lot of these softball whiteboard questions would have stumped me but I could've hashed out a workable Tetris approximation

probably not in compilable code tho that part is dumb af

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Doom Mathematic posted:

I thought about this too after I responded to the post, but mainly as a way to get around tricky rotation math: "Lets just say each piece has a maximum of 4 orientations (some just have 2 or 1) and we'll hard code what that looks like in a 2D array"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ADINSX posted:

I thought about this too after I responded to the post, but mainly as a way to get around tricky rotation math: "Lets just say each piece has a maximum of 4 orientations (some just have 2 or 1) and we'll hard code what that looks like in a 2D array"

That is exactly what my solution was, no floats involved at all.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 14, 2019

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

gonadic io posted:

That is exactly what my solution was, no floats involved at all.

That's what I would've done, and done like a polling of the piece against a game board state

Maybe that's the idiot solution for children?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

HoboMan posted:

this is the hardest decision ive had to make. i got an offer at a well established consulting place and a startup with 3 years runway.

the startup pays over 20% more and is a lot nicer commute but they are a startup and all work on macs and there is rumor of groovy lurking somewhere in thier code base (which they thankfully acknowledged as a mistake they are correcting).

the established place has real nice people that i feel really bad turning down and has job security and acutal training time and programs set aside for bettering myself, but im pretty sure most of my work will be taking 10 year old mountains of enterprise code debt and making them halfway usable. also the aforementioned less pay

doesnt seem like a very hard decision

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wheres that matrix of situations to keep in mind for behavioral interview questions/answers it was something like "subordinate, peer, supervisor" on one axis and like the different situations on the other axis it was posted itt

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
yeah, you will still learn things at a startup so take the job with more money and a better commute, and find a new one in 3 years if you have to

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

meatpotato posted:

think of questions you'll be asked and come up with answers in advance

in fact, just use this table straight out of cracking the coding interview and fill in the boxes

oh there it is

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think my call went ok or the interviewer was nice enough to make me feel like it went ok.

either way i need to get more applications out because i only have this and one other prospect and both are waiting on feedback from them so if things don't progress i'm boned

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I spoke to a third party recruiter about a place, she submitted me, and I got rejected. then I discovered a prior inmessage from one of their internal recruiters so I got in touch with him on my own and I expect an offer next week. I didn’t volunteer this to the third-party recruiter because why would I.

but apparently she’s still connected to my application via greenhouse, because I got a confused email from her. I explained the situation so that she wouldn’t think I intentionally burned her, and now she’s somehow cced on all the emails they send me. the loving hustle there, goddamn

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

I spoke to a third party recruiter about a place, she submitted me, and I got rejected. then I discovered a prior inmessage from one of their internal recruiters so I got in touch with him on my own and I expect an offer next week. I didn’t volunteer this to the third-party recruiter because why would I.

but apparently she’s still connected to my application via greenhouse, because I got a confused email from her. I explained the situation so that she wouldn’t think I intentionally burned her, and now she’s somehow cced on all the emails they send me. the loving hustle there, goddamn

thats actually a pretty big legal issue between the recruiting company and the company that is hiring you. to the recruiting firm it appears that either the company told you to bypass the recruiter and apply directly to defraud the recruiter of their commission OR the company is not properly vetting recruits from the recruiter. either is probably causing headaches for the company's lawyers and HR management

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 14, 2019

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

good. there's no excuse for companies' recruiting orgs being as lovely as they are

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hobbesmaster posted:

thats actually a pretty big legal issue between the recruiting company and the company that is hiring you. to the recruiting firm it appears that either the company told you to bypass the recruiter and apply directly to defraud the recruiter of their commission OR the company is not properly vetting recruits from the recruiter. either is probably causing headaches for the company's lawyers and HR management

oh. lol. i’d originally asked the internal recruiter wtf happened and he said “i’m not really sure but your resume was probably rejected by one of my colleagues because it’s got too much academia on it but i don’t really care about that so let’s move forward.” i don’t care either way because i assume they’re not gonna like take her commission out of my offer or anything. on the one hand i’m happy to see them burned by falling for anti-academic bias but on the other hand she didn’t do the one thing that she was theoretically there for in the first place: getting me over stupid round zero hurdles. i guess i gotta respect pulling down a cool five figures for doing literally zero work.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

raminasi posted:

your resume was probably rejected by one of my colleagues because it’s got too much academia on it

lmao gently caress these people

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lmao gently caress these people

it really makes me hope that this guy is shining by pulling in all sorts of dope research programmers his colleagues are rejecting. i have no idea what internal recruiters’ incentives are set up like.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I know people who reject PhDs just because they're PhDs. I don't blame them sometimes. Some of the absolute worst engineers I've ever known have been PhD alumni from prestigious universities.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I know people who reject PhDs just because they're PhDs. I don't blame them sometimes. Some of the absolute worst engineers I've ever known have been PhD alumni from prestigious universities.

at my current job that i am desperate to escape, PhDs are the most common source of junior devs

they do not enjoy it, and neither do i

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

qhat posted:

I'd never outright reject a PhD, but I definitely put a lot more emphasis on "do you know how to write shippable maintainable code?" than I would for someone w 10 years experience working in industry.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh I'm not saying that you should reject someone just because they are a PhD, that's ludicrous. Just that I can see where people come from when they are hesitant to hiring people for strictly engineering positions who are mostly only distinguished in academia. New PhDs from what I've seen are basically exactly the same as new grads in terms of engineering ability, except the ones I've worked with have had an even worse case of dunning-kruger. I once had one throw his "senior algorithm scientist" title in my face when we were trying to get his absolutely terrible programming under control, and eventually he got moved into a management position in another team just to get him the gently caress away from the actual productive part of the business.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
oh yeah sorry - wasn't implying you were in the PHDS BAD camp.

I've hired a handful of PhDs over the years and while they have a proclivity to write Long As gently caress emails/documents, they were good people and productive members of whatever team

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

phds are cool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

phds are cool

nice phud

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Like Elmer?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m assuming the consulting will involve travel? you should almost always be getting a premium if your job involves a lot of travel so this makes taking the startup job a no-brainer to me

Yeah in general consulting should pay more and startups less so this is weird to me. Mind you I've worked for two consulting companies and hated them both, but that could just be me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Yeah in general consulting should pay more and startups less so this is weird to me. Mind you I've worked for two consulting companies and hated them both, but that could just be me.

Location matters like 3x more

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
has anyone heard anything about working for / the interview process for monzo in london?

i also have no idea how much money to ask for. i feel like i'm overpaid for a dev in the uk just 2 years out of uni, currently 70k at a small company in london. not sure whether to ask for like 80k or what to say if they ask what my expectations are. i honestly have no idea what most london devs are paid.

I also don't know what to say if they ask why i'm leaving my current proto-startup job after like 5 months.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

70k is very above average for a newish dev in London, most don't earn over 45-50k. You should always ask for more (like more than 15%) though, unless there are other reasons you would want to join that company, like better culture, more interesting, less dickheads, etc. Don't feel you absolutely need to double down on salary for comp either, there are other ways of getting a better deal through benefits, stock, vacation, etc.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 16, 2019

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
hm. yeah that was my impression. before the current thing I was a contractor at 450 gbp / day so my exceptions are all out of whack. I'm a bit scared because I want to work full time for a big boy company but that will almost certainly require me to do some sort of coding interview question in front of real people. i guess what i mean is that i assume the people interviewing me will see through my limited experience and laugh at my demands for like 80k with 2 years of experience.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

As for why you are leaving, you can make up literally anything as long as it doesn't come across desperate or cynical. I just say I have no issues with my current company, but that I've casually had my eye on the market for other potential opportunities and would definitely consider one if the position seemed interesting and the price was right.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

70k is very above average for a newish dev in London, most don't earn over 45-50k. You should always ask for more (like more than 15%) though, unless there are other reasons you would want to join that company, like better culture, more interesting, less dickheads, etc. Don't feel you absolutely need to double down on salary for comp either, there are other ways of getting a better deal through benefits, stock, vacation, etc.

what sort of life does 45-50k buy in london? i'm imagining some sort of dickensian experience

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

what sort of life does 45-50k buy in london? i'm imagining some sort of dickensian experience

A bad one. I was renting a room for £700/month in a shared house and that was considered on the cheap end of the spectrum.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

hm. yeah that was my impression. before the current thing I was a contractor at 450 gbp / day so my exceptions are all out of whack. I'm a bit scared because I want to work full time for a big boy company but that will almost certainly require me to do some sort of coding interview question in front of real people. i guess what i mean is that i assume the people interviewing me will see through my limited experience and laugh at my demands for like 80k with 2 years of experience.

Actually, it is you turning them down with your salary request. Think about why you are anxious about screwing things up at negotiation, how much do you really want to work for this company to the point where you are worried they won't pay you anywhere near your current comp? If it was me and my current gig was okay, I'd be the one laughing in their faces.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

qhat posted:

A bad one. I was renting a room for £700/month in a shared house and that was considered on the cheap end of the spectrum.

yeah, i pay £960 a month for a room in a shared house. i get my own bathroom and a little balcony though which is nice. i would not live here for less than 50k. I don't mind the city itself as much as i thought i would but yeah the rent is gross

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's okay to take a salary cut if you really want this role and you think the price is fair, but think extremely carefully about why you're doing that before you do it, and most of all do not let it prevent you from negotiating a strong package for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You want to see how much these finance companies are making off the backs of underpaid engineers in London, it'll make you sick. Be aggressive when negotiating with these fuckheads, they absolutely know they can afford you.