Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

That campaign game I assume has you play as a specific commander which is not how paradox games work. They are doing to completely different things. It mechanically would make no sense

An event pops up when Japan takes Nanking, is it really so hard to mention that civilians were killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait til you find out the game's take on stalin's purges

don't even get me started

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait til you find out the game's take on stalin's purges

Im interested

edit: disclaimer: I never played any HoI games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Paradox games tend to whitewash a lot of stuff, mainly because pointing out doesnt really add anything. Do you need holocaust references? Do you want the ability to firebomb civilians?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im interested

edit: disclaimer: I never played any HoI games

the full and total purges were the only thing keeping the USSR from falling into a civil war in hoi4. the game punishes you for not going full stalin

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Now I’m imagining everytime you declare war a little pop up comes up that says but did you know war is bad? Before it goes through

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Paradox games tend to whitewash a lot of stuff, mainly because pointing out doesnt really add anything. Do you need holocaust references? Do you want the ability to firebomb civilians?

Nice strawman, how about just acknowledging that "Hey, this happened and it was a big deal." Think of it as an opportunity to educate.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Now I’m imagining everytime you declare war a little pop up comes up that says but did you know war is bad? Before it goes through

If the game goes out of it's way to let you know that Japan took Nanking, it can include a couple lines of text about what happened, thats all.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the full and total purges were the only thing keeping the USSR from falling into a civil war in hoi4. the game punishes you for not going full stalin

Also isn't it the only way of getting the last research slot? Who knew that sending scientists to do manual labor in Siberia (if not outright shooting them) was a key to productive research!

When they redesign it, IMHO it should be a more extreme version of that partier-king national idea in Romania. Just have Stalin randomly screw the country over. Start with an almost-researched Deep Battle tree and have it revert to 1-tech in Mass Assault. Have division randomly lose XP until they are all green, etc.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah, thats bad

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah, is just really weird that a game that lets you play as nazi Germany in WW 2 ignores all the absurdly evil stuff they did in this war

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 15, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CharlestheHammer posted:

DC Barbarossa spends quite a bit of time and energy pointing out atrocities, trying to get you to be complicit or at least look the other way then hangs you for war crimes at the end of the game. They also have little blurbs on most of the generals highlighting who stood up for what was right and who rolled over.

Unrelated it's the best Eastern Front game I've ever played.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Nice strawman, how about just acknowledging that "Hey, this happened and it was a big deal." Think of it as an opportunity to educate.

Not really a straw man that is what the argument is, plus then you get into the situation where people accuse you of being for whatever thing you don’t end up putting in there. So you have a situation where you have to put in every atrocity or you are supporting it or some nonsense like that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Also isn't it the only way of getting the last research slot? Who knew that sending scientists to do manual labor in Siberia (if not outright shooting them) was a key to productive research!

When they redesign it, IMHO it should be a more extreme version of that partier-king national idea in Romania. Just have Stalin randomly screw the country over. Start with an almost-researched Deep Battle tree and have it revert to 1-tech in Mass Assault. Have division randomly lose XP until they are all green, etc.

no you can still get the research slot if you're willing to accept the civil war

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also the entire foreign policy focus tree for the soviets is loving useless beyond belief

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I don't know if this is still the case but the only real choice in the minor focus tree is going fascist because it got you free manpower, which many minors completely lack, while going communist for you a tiny pittance of political power.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, is just really weird that a game that lets you play as nazi Germany in WW 2 ignores all the absurdly evil stuff they did in this war
I guess even if they included it with suitable commentary, some people would really enjoy it anyway and now they can't, maybe that was their logic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eimi posted:

I don't know if this is still the case but the only real choice in the minor focus tree is going fascist because it got you free manpower, which many minors completely lack, while going communist for you a tiny pittance of political power.

still the case

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also the entire foreign policy focus tree for the soviets is loving useless beyond belief

Hey the prereq that gives some infrastructure's ok! But yeah gently caress that middle tree entirely.

How much of the purge tree is bypassed by just doing the civil war? And do you get to pick between Trotsky and Stalin when it fires?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really a straw man that is what the argument is, plus then you get into the situation where people accuse you of being for whatever thing you don’t end up putting in there. So you have a situation where you have to put in every atrocity or you are supporting it or some nonsense like that

I can't believe paradox is endorsing Japanese war crimes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

I'd only heard it from EU4 people and thought using kebab for Turkey and Turks was your standard uncreative food based semi-racism ("frogs", "krauts", etc) but apparently its origin is a lot weirder:

So, it's originally irony poking fun at Serbian nationalists, sort of. Because it's 4chan people of course decided to also use "remove kebab" in the double-ironical sense of praising the Bosnian genocide, which is what the asswipe in Christchurch was doing.

yeah it's really a shame that "remove kebab" is the part of that thing which caught on because i have to admit i was always honestly interested in hearing about tupac's life in serbia

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

I guess even if they included it with suitable commentary, some people would really enjoy it anyway and now they can't, maybe that was their logic.

Well, until the most recent DLC, the game implied that the American government arranged for Pearl Harbor to happen to in order to get the US population behind the war. To Paradox's credit, that is no longer in the game, but it was in for at least 3 years.

Jackie D posted:

They put the SS in the game and made a whole bespoke recruitment system that is unique for the SS, but they can't add a single line of text to the event already in the game that pops up when a warcrime totally happened.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 15, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

chairface posted:

Hey the prereq that gives some infrastructure's ok! But yeah gently caress that middle tree entirely.

How much of the purge tree is bypassed by just doing the civil war? And do you get to pick between Trotsky and Stalin when it fires?

depends on how you trigger the civil war. if you want trotsky you don't touch the purge focus and wait for him to launch the war then you can play as him versus i think vlassov's fascist state. you can also pick the purge focus, not do all 4 purge events and then vlassov just leads a random rear end civil war against you following the establishment of the 4th international.

if you go with trotsky you get to skip the 210 day purge focus for trotsky's 70 day permanent revolution before finishing out the purge tree.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jackie D posted:

Hell you can build Atomic bombs and use them without much in the way of consequence but no one says that is supporting US war crimes

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

depends on how you trigger the civil war. if you want trotsky you don't touch the purge focus and wait for him to launch the war then you can play as him versus i think vlassov's fascist state. you can also pick the purge focus, not do all 4 purge events and then vlassov just leads a random rear end civil war against you following the establishment of the 4th international.

if you go with trotsky you get to skip the 210 day purge focus for trotsky's 70 day permanent revolution before finishing out the purge tree.

Now that you mention it, it's kinda extra messed up. No purge= Trotsky civil war(Meh, he's better than Stalin), half-assed purge = gently caress you here's your punishment, kill everyone and their dog = good job comrade

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell you can build Atomic bombs and use them without much in the way of consequence but no one says that is supporting US war crimes

a-bombs are pretty useless in hoi4 outside of triggering the japanese surrender without invading the home islands

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a-bombs are pretty useless in hoi4 outside of triggering the japanese surrender without invading the home islands

Which itself is an ahistorical statement

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tac nukes are great for breaking static battle lines (which is absolutely :psyduck: historically)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh wait i forgot the first nuke tech also gives you a 2% research speed bonus so theres that at least

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In previous Hoi games, you could research nuclear technology and only build reactors for energy. They had both peaceful and lethal uses.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is the OP still around? This is the current CK2 thread now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dramicus posted:

In previous Hoi games, you could research nuclear technology and only build reactors for energy. They had both peaceful and lethal uses.

Could you do the (historically nonsensical) German dream and start building nuclear U-boats?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Could you do the (historically nonsensical) German dream and start building nuclear U-boats?

I think they had nuclear-powered ships in the cold-war expansion of hoi2.

Edit: Yes, they had nuclear submarines, battleships and carriers. In Hoi2: Doomsday

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 15, 2019

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m a moron and I don’t think that video games can teach people how to behave in real life.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
However. If I see a dude in a nazi fur suit in Berlin at PDXCon, I might lose my poo poo. The nazi furries gotta go paradox.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah dealing with the real Nazis is a much more useful thing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

lum shows up every so often but it's probably easier to report your own post or email a mod

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Jesus christ of course goons take to the front lines on the most important front of the culture war: gaming.

Yes, I would love it if I got spammed with events scolding me while I try to manage a battle line

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Average Bear posted:

Jesus christ of course goons take to the front lines on the most important front of the culture war: gaming.

Yes, I would love it if I got spammed with events scolding me while I try to manage a battle line

The game already spams you with events, they could just be more detailed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Average Bear posted:

there is no way it could be more annoying than hoi2's battle reports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What was it, then? Because it sure looked like one to those of us that watched the stream, and when one of the presenters pointed it out, the guy with the not-hitler mustache said that he felt like it would be thematic. Just to be clear, I am not trying to be a dick here - I want to believe you and I am genuinely curious.

It was a very unfortunate combination of overhead lighting and a lightish brown hair color leading to the only parts of the mustache visible on stream being the part in the shadow of the nose. It was intended as a sort of British upper-class gentleman officer kind of deal. For the sake of my own sanity I would assume that we would have had someone from PR bodily tackle him on stream if the other 5 people involved in the decision making process would for some reason have been okay with having someone try and represent HoI with a literal Hitler-stache.