Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tunicate posted:

It isn't outsiders per se. Outside her cave, mom is one of those vegans who is a huge rear end in a top hat about it

Mom is not a vegan rear end in a top hat, she accepted our decision to eat meat and didn't fuss over it. :colbert:

Everything we've seen from the tribe so far, from the Matriarch to the kids, says that they don't like us because our Mom isn't of the Silver Bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Matriarch didn't actually seem to object to that, and even said she approved of the marriage though. She's probably the reason we passed the initiation or whatever, instead of being deemed totally worthless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A confluence of events has conspired to keep me unusually busy this week and I will likely not be able to update before the weekend even though I really, really wish I could update sooner. Wanted to give ya'll a heads up.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LLSix posted:

A confluence of events has conspired to keep me unusually busy this week and I will likely not be able to update before the weekend even though I really, really wish I could update sooner. Wanted to give ya'll a heads up.

:wave: Thanks for dropping in and letting us know, do take care of yourself!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CourValant posted:

Everything we've seen from the tribe so far, from the Matriarch to the kids, says that they don't like us because our Mom isn't of the Silver Bear.

We are going to leave these losers in the dust though. I mean, what kind of protagonist would we be if we cultivated only one element?
The question is whether we leave willingly to seek our destiny, or flee because rear end in a top hat beeriders set the valley on fire.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ritznit posted:

D - Absolutely. We have to improve our punch. Though lets maybe not punch stuff our parents might not want us to punch, like their stuff.

3) Start punching random things?
D. Yes

You make your way back to the main cave, which is where everyone meditates while the sun rises. Papa, tired from a long night guarding the cave mouth you live in, always led you back home immediately after meditating so this is your first time down here during the day. You are astonished by how many people are down here. Adults stride steadily across the open area while teenagers rush around, weaving between the adults. One of the adults stops Bato and Chuno as they carry the sleeping Decavo. You walk close enough to listen as they explain an elder put their friend to sleep. The adult frowns at the boys and sends them on their way, not offering any help. The boys head down one of the many tunnels leading out and down from the main cave.

Two of the rushing teenagers bump into each other. Shouting quickly escalates into punching. The rest of the people pay no attention other then to curve around the fight.

You decide to explore a little and walk around the outer edge of the cave. There are lots of tunnels leading away from the main cave. Only three of the tunnels lead up, which is a good thing because you still can't count higher than the fingers on one hand. All the rest of the tunnels slopes downwards, there are lots of them; but not many lots you think. You already know one of the tunnels leading up goes to your home, where do the other caves go? Drawn by the sound of people shouting you follow one of the tunnels leading up to a series of interconnected caves.

You are overwhelmed by what you see. Members of the Silver Bear tribe of every age and cultivation level are exercising here. So are their spirit companions.

You recognize a few of the exercises from your lessons with Papa, but there are many more you haven't seen before. Some tribe members are exercising together. One of the caves has a sandy floor, and two pairs of tribe members and their spirit companions are fighting. Several other tribe members are standing around watching them and cheering. Nobody around the edge is doing anything to stop the fight here either. Captivated, you watch until one of the fighters pounds his fist into the sand three times and the woman holding him down helps him back to his feet, and they shake hands. Another pair of fighters moves onto the sands, shakes hands, and start attacking each other.

Wandering over to the next cave with wide open eyes and your head on a swivel you see a girl punching a big bag hanging from the ceiling. It's shaped kind of like a tree trunk but must be softer because you see her knuckles sinking into it. You watch open mouthed until she's done, and then you walk up and try to repeat her motions. It's tougher than it looks! The bag is made from animal skin, not wood but it's not soft at all. Your punches don't sink your knuckles into it at all! Instead, your knuckles hurt. You glare at the bag while sucking on your hurt knuckles than try punching it again. Nope. Still not working. You hear someone clapping behind you and turn to look at them. Look at their knees actually. You look up. And up. And up. She's so tall you think she must be almost as big as Papa. Her hair is the same flat black color as Papa's too. She crouches down, but still towers over you. "You must be Pūmiè, Guarnicio's girl. You've got his spirit all right; even though he clearly hasn't made time to teach you. Would you like to learn how to punch properly?" You agree enthusiastically. "Well, get your father's permission, and I'll teach you. I haven't seen him down here in years, I bet he doesn't know you're here does he?" You shake your head no. "It's your first day with the elder's right? He's probably worried about you. Run along home now. When you get home, you can tell him Mina offered to teach you how to fight. I appreciate him guarding that cave mouth all these years. Least popular guard job that used to be."

I ended up taking a sick day. Bad for me, but good news for the thread. I'm going to break up the update into a few small pieces that I can get done in between needing to lay down again.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 14, 2019

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Woo, we are named Pūmiè!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
What does Wotjeo think of all the stuff we've seen today?

E: And in particular, what does Wotjeo think of our name?

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 14, 2019

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LLSix posted:

Least popular guard job that used to be."

Hey, I see what you did there.

Not going to tell us about this though, huh?

Also, feel better soon! :wave:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What does Wotjeo think of all the stuff we've seen today?

E: And in particular, what does Wotjeo think of our name?

Wotjeo thinks you are the best. You are the cutest, smartest, kindest person and his favorite sister. He thinks he is so lucky to share his soul with you. You have the best name.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What happens if you eat someone's bonded animal? Do you drain their madra? What happens if you eat your own?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

2) Share your dream with Mama & Papa?
A. Yes

Papa and Mama are both there when you get back. Mama was sitting on Papa's lap but leaps up when you arrive. "How was your first day of lessons with the Elder, my little growllita?" You have so much to tell them about! You want to tell them about the fights you saw and the exercise cave and Mina and the elder. The words get all tangled up until Papa scoops you up and crushes you against his ridiculously muscled chest in a bear hug. "Settle down, Pūmiè. Your old papa can't understand you when you try to tell him a dozen stories at once." You try to pick just one thing to talk about and somehow what spills out is your dream about the flying fires burning down the forest.

Mama looks worried: "Is that a real dream?" Papa shakes his head no and wraps one arm around her. He hugs you both. "No need to worry, love. Even the Elder's dreams are unreliable or else they wouldn't need me to stand guard here. Pūmiè is a strong girl, but she's much too young to have started Dreaming. Wotjeo still has soft fur. It'll be many years yet until he's built up enough madra to Dream. As for you, little girl." He tosses you in the air, one-handed and you squeal in delight. "That sounds like it was a scary dream, but don't be afraid. Your trial to join the tribe is over. You won't have to stick your hand in the fire ever again. Your papa and mama will be around to help protect you for many years yet. I'm proud of you trying to punch the fire though. Silver Bears should be tough and aggressive, just the way you are. Run along with Mama now, Papa's been up too long today. I need my sleep. You can tell me about the rest of your day tonight."

That night you tell him about the exercise cave and meeting Mina while he's holding you upside down by your ankles and you do situps. "Mina?" He lets go of one of your ankles to rub his chin in thought and you scream as that side of your body drops towards the floor. "Oops! He grabs hold of your ankle again and holds you back up. Sorry Pūmiè. I guess your Papa is a little absentminded today. Didn't get much sleep last night. I lost count, you'll have to start over. You were saying about Mina?" You grumble about having to do extra hanging situps but tell him about how you met Mina again. "That's my girl. She's a good person to know. Not as strong as me, but not bad. I'll wait for you in the meditation cave and we'll go see her after your lesson with Elder Minaro. She's probably asleep now. Papa yawns as he lowers you down so you can move to the next exercise.

You continue exercising and cycling madra from Wotjeo through your body until it's time to meditate with the rest of the tribe. Papa hugs you goodbye and hands you a breakfast bag with two pomegranates and a handful of hard-shelled nuts. You look back as you head towards your lesson and see him walking back to your home for a short nap while you take your lesson. In the same spot as yesterday, you see Bato, Decavo, and Chuno again. At least Felero isn't with them this time. Bato blocks your way: "Where do you think you're going Butterfly? You made me look stupid yesterday." He pushes you. "Nobody make me look stupid and gets away with it." Chuno chimes in: "Yeah, we beat up lots of people who make us look stupid!" Bato grimaces: "Shut up Chuno, I'm handling this." He turns back to you. "Give us your breakfast and your shoes to make up for yesterday or we'll pound your face in." Your shoes are brand new and made of very soft fox fur. They're the nicest pair of shoes you've ever had and Papa warned you not to lose them because he won't be able to get such nice fur again for several years likely.

You look around the cave tunnel and consider your options. There's a tripod with some burning rocks providing light beside you. You feel a little braver after Papa's talk about being safe from fire and think you might be able to tip it over onto the boys. You also remember how to get to Mina from here. Maybe she would help if you can run that far, but you're pretty slow. Wotjeo is faster than you still. The pomegranates and the nuts are both pretty hard. They'd probably hurt if you threw them.

1) How do you handle this?
A. Same as yesterday. Insult him and hurry past.
B. Insult him and then punch him while he's distracted then see what happens next.
C. Insult him and then all-out attack while he's distracted.
D. Give them your breakfast bag and the soft fur shoes Papa made you
E. Push Bato back and wait to see what happens next.
F. Punch Bato and wait to see what happens next.
G. You have no fighting training but you want to all out attack
H. You have no fighting training but you want to focus on crippling Bato even if the others join in
I. Challenge Bato to a one-on-one fight even though he looks bigger and stronger
J. Challenge Bato to a two-on-two fight with your spirit companions fighting too even though he looks bigger and stronger and his spirit companion looks bigger and stronger than Wotjeo.
K. Run to Mina
L. Drop your breakfast bag and run to Mina
M. Run away.
N. Start crying. Loudly.
O. Tip the burning rocks in the tripod onto Bato
P. Tip the burning rocks in the tripod over and try to get all three boys
Q. Try to back up a few steps then throw your breakfast at Bato
R. Pretend to agree then throw your breakfast
S. Pretend to agree then all-out attack
write in

super sweet best pal posted:

What happens if you eat someone's bonded animal? Do you drain their madra?
Papa shouts angrily at you: "That's horrifying! Don't even think it! We're not cannibals!"

super sweet best pal posted:

What happens if you eat your own?
Papa doesn't answer beyond growling. He just bends you over his knee and spanks you so hard you can't sit down for most of a moon.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A "If you beat up people who make you look stupid, why haven't you beaten yourselves up?"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
S This is just going to keep happening.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
B We need our punching practice :getin:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Write-in: Tip the burning rocks over and run to Mina. These boys won't stop until we're able to stop them. We need to fast-track our training so we can do that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

B If we're going to punch stuff might as well start with Bato.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
J with a caveat - challenge him to an ultra formal honor duel... In two months. We need time to train or he'll just kick our rear end even with a surprise attack. But if we have a duel coming then honor demands he doesn't hassle us until the proper time. Our bear brother should fight with us since he keeps calling us a Butterfly and that's a graver insult to him than it is to us.

I call this "plan Karate Kid"

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Mr. Prokosch posted:

J with a caveat - challenge him to an ultra formal honor duel... In two months. We need time to train or he'll just kick our rear end even with a surprise attack. But if we have a duel coming then honor demands he doesn't hassle us until the proper time. Our bear brother should fight with us since he keeps calling us a Butterfly and that's a graver insult to him than it is to us.

I call this "plan Karate Kid"

I agree with J, but disagree on asking to wait for 2 months, on the basis that we’re 3 years old and don’t know what a duel is, or a month for that matter.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
I've had it with these boys.

Vote: S. Pretend to agree then all-out attack, except we're swinging our bag of pomegranates and the nuts like a sock full of doorknobs.

"Okay Bato, you win, you want my breakfast, come get it."

Since the tribe only respects strength and fighting, we're putting this Bully down. Then we declare ourselves the new leader of his little band of misfits.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

CourValant posted:

Vote: S. Pretend to agree then all-out attack, except we're swinging our bag of pomegranates and the nuts like a sock full of doorknobs.

Since the tribe only respects strength and fighting, we're putting this Bully down. Then we declare ourselves the new leader of his little band of misfits.

This

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

CourValant posted:

+1

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CourValant posted:

Hell yeah, +1

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

CourValant posted:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

CourValant posted:

Always up for some low-stakes goodfites. If we can be clever about it, even better.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CourValant posted:

Oh yes. S it is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SerSpook posted:

A "If you beat up people who make you look stupid, why haven't you beaten yourselves up?"

This, but then punch him while he's still trying to process.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
S
With improvised breakfast weapon please

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

You size up the three bullies again. Bato is significantly larger than all of you, large enough that he could easily be mistaken for someone a year older. His spirit companion is equally massive. Decavo, to his right and slightly behind, is only a little bigger than you, but his spirit companion is significantly bigger than Wotjeo. Between them in size and to Bato's left is Chuno. Chuno's spirit companion is about the same size as Decavo's. Add it all up, and you are out-massed about 4:1 and Wotjeo is out-massed at least 5:1. Only briefly do you consider your options before making your decision. Fighting is obviously hopeless.

"Okay Bato, you win."

You hold your breakfast bag out.

Bato looks surprised then his face lights up with the pure joy of the young. He reaches for it, and you add: "You want my breakfast, come get it!"

He freezes mid-reach as you swing the heavy bag back and Wotjeo roars.

You swing the bag forward, and it slams into Bato's stunned face.

You swing again. This time there's a wet thunk as you whip it against his head.

Each pomegranate is the size of an adult's fist. More than twice the size of your toddler's fists and you swung it with all the strength a year of nightly exercise has granted you.

Bato collapses bonelessly.

Wotjeo attacked at the same time you did, but at barely half the size of Bato's spirit companion, he isn't doing nearly as well. He rushed forward and literally bounced off the bigger bear cub despite having completely surprised it. He scrambled back up quickly before the shock of your initial attack wore off and lashed out with his front paw, but his young claws aren't long or sharp enough to cut through the other's thick fur and is doing little damage.

You wind up to help Wotjeo but are tackled by a screaming, red-haired blur. Untrained in fighting, you awkwardly swing your breakfast bag at Decavo, but he's got his arms wrapped around your chest with his head tucked in tight, and the only thing you can hit is his legs. Which just seems to make him angrier. You get in one decent hit with your off hand before Chuno joins in.

After that, it's all over but the screaming. Of which there's a lot. Neither boy is old enough to have any self-control. It doesn't even occur to them to hold back to avoid crippling a fellow tribe member. They hit you as hard as they can. Their untutored strikes pound into you relentlessly. You can hear and feel Wotjeo getting the poo poo beaten out of him too. They don't know enough to hit you in places where it would hurt but not knock you unconscious, so mercifully, you pass out quickly and miss the worst of it.

You wake up some time later. You hurt all over and can feel ugly bruises forming all over your face. You drag yourself over to Wotjeo. The only good news is that the boy's spirit companion's claws are almost as undeveloped as Wotjeo's and there are only a handful of superficial scratches in addition to the beating you took. Wotjeo whined at the pain as you checked him for serious injuries but licks your face affectionately afterward. "At least you got Bato, sister. Sorry I didn't do as well. I'll have to train harder."

You look around. There's no sign of the other boys, and you don't know how long you've been unconscious. You spot your breakfast bag and snagging one of the leather drawstrings you drag it to you and open it. One of the pomegranates has been cracked open, and several of the nuts are smashed, but your breakfast is otherwise intact.

You don't think Wotjeo is seriously injured but he might have internal injuries, or you might have missed something. This is only your second fight, and you have no medical training. For that matter, you might have internal injuries. You're not sure you can even stand. Just thinking about how much it'd hurt to try makes you groan.

1) What next?
A. Cry (you may combine this with other options)
B. Promise yourself revenge on Bato (you may combine this with other options)
C. Promise yourself revenge on Decavo (you may combine this with other options)
D. Promise yourself revenge on Chuno (you may combine this with other options)
E. Wait here for some to rescue you.
F. Shout for help.
G. Crawl to your lessons.
H. Try to stand and carry Wotjeo to your lessons.
I. Try to stand and urge Wotjeo to walk with you to your lessons with you.
J. Crawl to find someone to tend to Wotjeo and your injuries.
K. Try to stand and carry Wotjeo to find someone to tend to Wotjeo and your injuries.
L. Crawl home.
M. Try to stand and carry Wotjeo to your lessons home.
N. Try to stand and urge Wotjeo to walk with you to home
write in.

Vote selected:

CourValant posted

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 18, 2019

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Looks like they didn't take our shoes, so I'll count this as a win if we don't die here.

But that's a concern now. We need to find medical help, and that's more important than a day's lessons. Don't overexert. J. And A, let's be real here.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

JT Jag posted:

Looks like they didn't take our shoes, so I'll count this as a win if we don't die here.

But that's a concern now. We need to find medical help, and that's more important than a day's lessons. Don't overexert. J. And A, let's be real here.

These.

Tempted to pick B/C/D but probably a terrible idea.

They think they won; this is going to keep happening unless something drastic happens.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ACDJ, try to make it to Mina.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

G

Internal injuries? Never heard of 'em.
The teacher doesn't seem like they'll be understanding if we skip class.
Plus I'd like to see the looks on their faces when we walk in.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

B,C,D,H - we are a child, we hate and love with unrestrained passion. We will get payback, and we will NOT let these kids be better than us. Lessons for now, prove how much better we are later.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Go to class.

For the record, they wanted to steal our poo poo, and they didn't get it. We won that fight.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
ABCDI I didn't hear no bell.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

Go to class.

For the record, they wanted to steal our poo poo, and they didn't get it. We won that fight.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

BCDG

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Bato just got his, the cronies still haven't. Bear-bro probably shouldn't be straining himself, and we don't want to be accused of using the fight as an excuse to ditch class, so we kill two birds with one stone.

ACDH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

A. Cry (you may combine this with other options)
B. Promise yourself revenge on Bato (you may combine this with other options)
C. Promise yourself revenge on Decavo (you may combine this with other options)
D. Promise yourself revenge on Chuno (you may combine this with other options)
M. Try to stand and carry Wotjeo to your lessons.
O: write in.

When we get to class and everyone looks at us, we declare, "I am Pūmiè, daughter of Guarnicio and Rica, proud Silver Bear and Crystal Butterfly both. Fight me fairly, or not at all; I am here to learn, to grow strong, and I will not be kept back by bullies."

Tunicate posted:

Heck yeah; we kept both our breakfast and our shoes. These eff'ing Silver Bears, its prison rules down in these caves.