Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It should have been Maid Marian and her Merry Men in the 22nd Century.

You dropped the ball YouTube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Robin Hood as a character seems pretty tapped out; it doesn't matter what they tinker with, everyone just immediately responds with 'uh huh, sure, so it's Robin Hood then' with no real enthusiasm.

e: In fact if you took any reference to Robin Hood out of this series then I'd immediately be more interested. It's character fatigue.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 7, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Robin Hood as a character seems pretty tapped out; it doesn't matter what they tinker with, everyone just immediately responds with 'uh huh, sure, so it's Robin Hood then' with no real enthusiasm.

Well it seems like all the recent adaptations have sucked, so the well's not tapped at all for an actually good Robin Hood series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With most wacky adaptations into different genres and time periods, you're better off just having it be a spiritual adaptation instead of directly keeping all the names. It seems kinda dumb for the wealthy in-world to name their dome after the place where the wealthy got stolen from.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou can be a retelling of the Odyssey and West-Side Story can be Romeo and Juliet without having to clumsily put the original names everywhere. Also gives you the freedom to break out of the mold of the original story if you want.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So a new show made by Frederator just recently got its first half of its first season on Amazon Prime: Costume Quest (based off of the game with the same name). While I wouldn't say it's amazing, it's pretty charming with some interesting hooks (definitely has a kiddy feel though)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Milo Murphy's Law is coming back on the air with new eps, but looking at Wiki, it seems that all of those eps got premiered out of the country early. This is usually a bad sign.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IttvJRFgFJo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Milo Murphy's Law is coming back on the air with new eps, but looking at Wiki, it seems that all of those eps got premiered out of the country early. This is usually a bad sign.

I remember talking to someone with inside knowledge last year who said the production was kinda a shitshow, so this isn't that surprising.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I remember talking to someone with inside knowledge last year who said the production was kinda a shitshow, so this isn't that surprising.

Did they give any indication what the issue was?

It's mostly the same crew as Phineas and Ferb, right? It's surprising to me that they'd have production issues with such a veteran crew.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pakled posted:

Did they give any indication what the issue was?

It's mostly the same crew as Phineas and Ferb, right? It's surprising to me that they'd have production issues with such a veteran crew.

For context, the person I was talking to had just moved from MML to a different show, and IIRC (And I'm probably not, this was a brief conversation a while back during an entirely unrelated event), from their perspective the showrunners didn't really have a solid vision for the show, and that was causing a bunch of issues. "Shitshow" is probably putting it strongly (And definitely isn't the term they used), but the impression I got was that there were definitely numerous production problems rooted at the top that made the show they moved to a breath of fresh air by comparison.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
one thing I know about Milo Murphy's production is that it was a script driven show, in contrast to Phineas and Ferb being board driven. Not sure if that's relevant at all or anything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

With most wacky adaptations into different genres and time periods, you're better off just having it be a spiritual adaptation instead of directly keeping all the names. It seems kinda dumb for the wealthy in-world to name their dome after the place where the wealthy got stolen from.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou can be a retelling of the Odyssey and West-Side Story can be Romeo and Juliet without having to clumsily put the original names everywhere. Also gives you the freedom to break out of the mold of the original story if you want.

Thing is, that would imply that they trust the old story beats and material to stand up on their own, not trying to stamp a well-known brand onto whatever they happen to come up with.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So according to Disney's PR website, Amphibia is currently planned to premier Summer 2019. Matt Braly also posted some concept art on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1102690341302370304

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of it!

Also, according to the same website, The Owl House has slipped to early 2020.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Amphibia

The Owl House

Is it better for these shows + Infinity Train to premiere at the same time, or more spaced out? They're gonna get compared to each other for sure.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So according to Disney's PR website, Amphibia is currently planned to premier Summer 2019. Matt Braly also posted some concept art on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1102690341302370304

I'm excited. I have been excited for this one for a but now, since the SDCC video showing the theme song.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Whiz Palace posted:

Is it better for these shows + Infinity Train to premiere at the same time, or more spaced out? They're gonna get compared to each other for sure.

That's just seasonal timing. Summer is the premier time for kids shows to maximize ratings.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

That's just seasonal timing. Summer is the premier time for kids shows to maximize ratings.

If I were to guess, they may also be angling to time it alongside a mid-season finale for Star vs. The Forces of Evil (Which just came back from hiatus if you haven't been following the thread) or Ducktales—give kids a new show to watch right after the one they were just watching goes on hiatus.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So a new show made by Frederator just recently got its first half of its first season on Amazon Prime: Costume Quest (based off of the game with the same name). While I wouldn't say it's amazing, it's pretty charming with some interesting hooks (definitely has a kiddy feel though)

Thanks for this, I never check Prime Video because the UI is so loving godawful and I've got a kid with the flu, so anything new and tolerable is a godsend. You're pretty spot-on with the description. I was hoping it'd fit in more with Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors or Gravity Falls, but it is a lot more kiddy and the jokes are a little more forced. Charming enough to definitely give it a watch, it's only ~2 hours total.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Caught a show on Universal Kids that was delightful called Junk Drawer Magical Adventures and what made it click with me is that it had magic tricks but then showed how the trick could be done and then had the other protagonist who hadn't done the trick, try it out. This was squeezed into the plot of one of the kids being selected to go to possibly go to London to learn more magic all while being plagued by a cow-man magical rival. Do anyone have any favorite live action kid shows?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I don't hate Big City Greens overall but they do this thing in every God damned episode where a character will stop and give a long painful monologue explaining in detail the lesson they just learned and I hate it. I loving hate it so much. It's basically the character development equivalent of world-building using only "As you and I both know... " dialogue.

Stop it BCG no one talks like that! If you want to show us that Cricket learned not to stick forks in the electric socket just have a scene at the end where he picks up a fork and doesn't jam it in the electric socket. It's not that hard!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHZ-wraiAQ

HOW

I think this is like the third studio to animate this show.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

HOW

Hell.

Well, at least this got me to check out the Johnny Test wikipedia page, and that's a good read I think

Wikipedia posted:

The remainder of the first and second seasons were produced in-house by Warner Bros. Animation and Coliseum Entertainment, but since this show was a utilized U.S./Canada co-production, some of the animation production service work was outsourced to Canadian animation studios Studio B Productions and Top Draw Animation, and as well as South Korean animation production company Digital eMation, which also provided the original main title animation opening, storyboarding of some of the episodes was done by Atomic Cartoons.

Nearly much of the original writers, storyboarders, and art crew of the series' first production season was recycled of mostly and notably that of familiar Cartoon Network Studios and Nickelodeon Animation Studio alumni, as well as some from WB Animation, Walt Disney Television Animation and DIC Entertainment, and even the comic book industry, including Chris Savino, Marc Perry, Paul Stec, Matt Danner, Joe Horne, Mike Kazaleh, Brian Larsen, Jun Falkenstein, Scott Shaw!, Nora Johnson, Milton Knight, Ray Leong,[12] Chris Battle, Casey Mitchum,[13] Pat Ventura, John Derevlany, J.C. Cheng, Aliki Theofilopoulos, George Cox III, Frederick J. Gardner III, Allan Penny, Justin Schultz, Christopher D. Lozinski, Dane Taylor and Rita Cooper.[14] The original version of the show's theme song and all of its underscores were both written, composed and conducted by Kevin Manthei, with creator Scott Fellows having written and provided the lyrics to the theme song.[15] Voice recording was provided by Voicebox Productions, Inc., with voice direction by Terry Klassen.

The merger of UPN and The WB into The CW Television Network had resulted in many budget cuts for the show, leading to the show being put on hiatus. Cookie Jar Entertainment, another Canada-based entertainment company, decided to take control of the series' production.[16] Due to this change, the writers, storyboarders, and art crew who worked on the first season were let go, resulting in an entirely new crew managing the show. In addition, the budget of the show dropped dramatically, leading seasons two and three of the show being animated in Adobe Flash by Collideascope Digital Productions.[17] The show's opening theme was later changed for the second season, later for the third season[18] and once again for the entire latter remainder of the series, with the opening being made of recycled episode footage. On March 1, 2008, the episode pair, "Johnny X: A New Beginning" and "Johnny X: The Final Ending", aired. It was originally intended as the series finale; however, James Arnold Taylor had stated that it was renewed for a fourth season.[19]

The fourth season was animated at Atomic Cartoons with animation assistance from Seventoon Inc. and Philippine Animators Group Inc., which are both located in the Philippines. It finally premiered in high-definition on Teletoon on September 10, 2009,[20] and on Cartoon Network in the U.S. on November 9, 2009.[19] Later, on August 24, 2010, it was announced that Johnny Test was renewed for a fifth season. Like the fourth season before it, it would be a full set of 26 episodes with a 27th episode added to the end; the renewal brought the series total to 92 episodes. The fifth season premiered on Cartoon Network in America on June 13, 2011, along with a new theme sequence with the same song used from seasons 2–4. Starting with the fifth season, Trevor Devall would become the new voice of Dukey, due to Louis Chirillo leaving the series. Similarly, Ashleigh Ball retired as the voice of Mary, Sissy and Missy at the end of the 4th season, due to her work on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic; as a result, she was replaced by Brittney Wilson, Mary's original voice.

On March 12, 2012, it was announced that the show was renewed for a sixth season.[21] Like the fourth and fifth season before it, it would again be a full set of 26 episodes; the renewal brought the series total to 117 episodes.[22] Ashleigh Ball also returned for the roles in this season. The sixth season premiered on Cartoon Network in America on April 23, 2013. With this season, the show reached its 100th episode (and 200th segment), making it one of Teletoon's longest-running original series (Total Drama has produced 118 episodes and two specials, while Totally Spies! was co-produced between Seasons 3-5 seasons).

So this new season marks the Fourth company to be making Johnny Test.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 16, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Do any kids actually like Johnny Test? I feel like not enough time has passed to be cashing in on the nostalgia.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Waffleman_ posted:

HOW

Johnny Test is the tiger-force at the center of all things. When you cry out in your dreams it's Johnny you see.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
First the Total Drama series and now Johnny Test? Talk about living in a hellworld.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
First the return of Total Drama and now Johnny Test? I think Canada is officially declaring war on us.

e; f,b

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's gotta be some executive's baby. I remember at the time it felt like some kind of crude attempt at trying to make something the kids were into, with only a vague idea of what slang and fads were at the time, and now it's been years. It was barely current when it was new, it's gotta be super dated now. Nothing timeless about "bling bling boy".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember Supernoobs, the other show the creator did?

That's right, you don't.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Johnny Test started airing when I was in high school

There are kids that were born after Johnny Test premiered that are now the age I was when it started airing

And it’s never been good at all

At least other long running properties like TMNT or Transformers have some serviceable qualities behind them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Johnny Test is basically really cheap to make, iirc. But definitely some producer's pet. And I'm pretty sure it used to be CN's go-to schedule filler before they started showing Teen Titans Go reruns in literally 90% of their slots.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo somebody gave Jackie Chan second cartoon!

And it's loving awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qICg1L1k_q4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSYwyw3mVY

Like, seriously. Is this a project made to launder drug money or something? I'm watching an episode on Amazon right now and I can only describe the what I'm seeing as discount Beyblade crossed with discount Garzey's Wing but somehow uglier and more poorly voice acted than that combination would suggest. It's kind of amazing actually.

Waffleman_ posted:

HOW

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sockser posted:

And it’s never been good at all

hey now, season 1 was halfway decent (especially visually)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Johnny Test is basically really cheap to make, iirc. But definitely some producer's pet. And I'm pretty sure it used to be CN's go-to schedule filler before they started showing Teen Titans Go reruns in literally 90% of their slots.

This is all happening because some Steven Universe fan wished that Cartoon Network would stop filling the schedule with TTG while holding a cursed monkey's paw.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

readingatwork posted:

Holy poo poo somebody gave Jackie Chan second cartoon!

And it's loving awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSYwyw3mVY

The interspersing of cartoon and real life Jackie Chan makes the cartoon look so drat shoddy. I am really shocked that it was made in 2018 if the youtube title is anything to go by.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
According to that 4 minute trailer it was made in 2009

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

Do any kids actually like Johnny Test? I feel like not enough time has passed to be cashing in on the nostalgia.

I got the impression that CN (and other channels that aired it) liked it more than anyone who watched it because it was so cheep to make that the could have literally no one watching it and the channel would pull a profit from ads and such.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

*the sound of Whips cracking grows closer*

Oh gods.

Hes returned

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

HOW

I don't know why, but the video just reminds of the Duke Nukem Trilogy Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

According to that 4 minute trailer it was made in 2009

Yeah, I think it was made for a Chinese audience in 2009 and then dubbed and released on Amazon last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
for a second I thought that was some remake/reboot of Jackie Chan Adventures but its not.

e: for skimming the wikipedia page for JCA

introduces Drago, Shendu's son from the future who seeks to fulfill his father's goals by bringing forth the Age of Dragons, as well as Strikemaster Ice and his two cronies DJ Fist and MC Cobra.

dats some good shark jumping.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 16, 2019