Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's always more to get out of film.
True, but subjecting something like Citizen Kane (with its rich noir gradations) to an 8k process would be revealing.

I love Spinal Tap, but my memory of it is a lot of washed out scenes with flat lighting. Save for the excellent concert scenes.

Well, ok. I guess the Stonehenge scene in crisp 4K would be amazing.
And the Shaw Bros transfers on Netflix really do change the way the movies look.

I eat my words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's Shaw Bros movies on Netflix???

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Criterion in June

George Stevens' Swing Time (1936)
Bruno Dumont's L'humanité (1999)
Bruno Dumont's La vie de Jésus (1997)
John Cameron Mitchell's Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Sergey Bondarchuk's War and Peace (1966)

Nothing for me this month, but it’s still a good spread

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Liar Lyre posted:

John Cameron Mitchell's Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

:rock: loving A, I've been waiting for a proper release of Hedwig since the original barebones DVD came out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Origami Dali posted:

There's Shaw Bros movies on Netflix???
Duuuuuuude.

36th Chamber of Shaolin, Legendary Weapons of China, Five Venoms, FLYING GUILLOTINE.

Only thing is the shawscope format has some really, really funky lens distortion at the edges. And they were such crisp transfers that the lost the soft Kung Fu look I grew up with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of Shaw Bros., 88 Films has put out a decent number of their films. I picked up Super Inframan the other day and can’t wait to watch it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

So hey, that 2001 Blu Ray that came out last year is the best one to get right?

Yes, though the UHD is only a little more expensive and has a pretty hard board case with a booklet (and it includes Blu-rays for the movie and extras).

Teenage Fansub posted:

Organic grain isn't equivalent to pixels. With a carefully produced 4k release of a rough 50 year old 8mm underground art film, the textural quality could be well worth it.
When we get there, there could be 8k restorations from the dawn of film making. There's always more to get out of film.

There's also a point where there's not really any extra definition.

In general:

2K is sufficient for replicating the look of a 35mm print. Most 2K masters are off 4K scans to allow for cropping and stabilization.
4K is sufficient for replicating the look of a 35mm negative or 70mm print. Most of these are from 6K-8K scans of camera negative. Usually for serious preservation work.

There's barely any work being done with 6K or 8K masters yet. Though, NHK is working on 8Ks for 2001: A Space Odyssey and My Fair Lady, using their respective 4K restorations original source 8K scans. Which is fine, but even 8K is more detailed than even a fresh IMAX print, which is 4K at absolute best.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

By the way, Shout! Factory has a sale on Shout Select titles:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/shout-select-ticket-to-savings-2019

Ended up picking up Matinee, The 'burbs, Murder by Death, and Wild at Heart all for under $20 each. I've wanted to see Matinee for the longest time since I love Joe Dante movies and Wild at Heart will mean I've seen all of David Lynch's films finally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

By the way, Shout! Factory has a sale on Shout Select titles:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/shout-select-ticket-to-savings-2019

Ended up picking up Matinee, The 'burbs, Murder by Death, and Wild at Heart all for under $20 each. I've wanted to see Matinee for the longest time since I love Joe Dante movies and Wild at Heart will mean I've seen all of David Lynch's films finally.

Oh man, if you haven't seen Matinee yet you're in for a treat.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber confirmed they have three more Billy Wilder titles in the works: Five Graves to Cairo (!), A Foreign Affair, and The Front Page.

Five Graves is pretty fun between it being one of Wilder's noirs and it stars Erich von Stroheim in a particularly scenery-chewing role.

CPL593H posted:

Oh man, if you haven't seen Matinee yet you're in for a treat.

Just the trailer looks like a hell of a time - and I can't turn down a movie set in the 50s with John Goodman as a William Castle type.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Matinee is an A+++ good time, particularly the first time you see it, but I can't see Joe Dante's name without screaming about how much Second Civil War towers over everything else he did. It's a profound shame that that movie only exists on an ultra barebones DVD at this point, because it's getting increasingly relevant by the hour.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

Matinee is an A+++ good time, particularly the first time you see it, but I can't see Joe Dante's name without screaming about how much Second Civil War towers over everything else he did. It's a profound shame that that movie only exists on an ultra barebones DVD at this point, because it's getting increasingly relevant by the hour.

I've never even heard of that but I just looked at the plot summary and all I can say is :stare:

I'll probably be getting that barebones DVD.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Speaking of Shaw, are they all pretty good releases or is there a standout?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Second Civil War also used to be up on Amazon Prime if you had a subscription, but it looks like it's off now. You can still rent it there and iTunes though and it is in HD on both. But I do wish somebody would it out on blu-ray, since it deserves a good home video release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched my second UHD - The Dark Crystal. Sony almost always does incredible work with their 4K masters, but they put so much love into this remaster. They didn't touch the grain, didn't try to make optical effects look too clean, or even remove wires. They even kept the original Universal and ITC logos.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oh boy, popped in the blu-ray of Rabbit Proof Fence and was treated to this:

TV is fine, outputs are all seated properly, what the gently caress is this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks like Thanos’s snap affected characters in film!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I, Butthole posted:

Oh boy, popped in the blu-ray of Rabbit Proof Fence and was treated to this:

TV is fine, outputs are all seated properly, what the gently caress is this?

Is dynamic contrast on? If yes, then turn it off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dynamic Contrast can be the one setting that does make things look better. I have it set to Low on my 2015 OLED for HDR content and it definitely improves PQ, but alas is slow to react to some scenes. Newer models do a better job I hear.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

VoodooXT posted:

Is dynamic contrast on? If yes, then turn it off.

Naw, I've turned everything like that off for the TV, checked all the brightness/contrast settings too and all's well. Other discs are fine too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's not dynamic contrast. I don't know what that is. It looks like a bad filter, like the color dropped to 256 while sharpness turned up 300%.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Definitely looks like a glitch or a dying console GPU. Have you tried rebooting everything?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 16, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Dumb question but is the disc new? Or was that your reward for a rewatch.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Did you try turning it off and on again? Sometimes, HDMI handshakes go a little wrong and the colors are off.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blow into the slot while slowly running the tip of your finger over the entrance, and at the same time jiggle the power cable port in the back.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Physical Media thread gettin real physical.

:gizz: :biglips:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Blow into the slot while slowly running the tip of your finger over the entrance, and at the same time jiggle the power cable port in the back.

I'd recommend using one of those air duster things instead.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Turn off game mode

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What’s the best James Bond blu ray collection?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I'm stealing this for a film tech questions thread

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Unmature posted:

What’s the best James Bond blu ray collection?

Which ever one doesn't have anything after Goldfinger.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Which ever one doesn't have anything after Goldfinger.

Bad post

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The back end of the Connery era is pretty dire.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Bond Girl choice in Diamonds Are Forever is so baffling. She looks like the lady from Space Mutiny.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
License to Kill is a good movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is legit good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

License to Kill is a good movie

I really like Timothy Dalton but if we're being honest, a few years ago I watched all of the Connery movies one a night in order and by the time I was done I never wanted to see a James Bond movie again. I've seen bits and pieces of the others over the years and most of the Brosnan movies and I can't say I regret that. Skyfall was pretty okay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Most Bond movies rule.

Get the collection one with all of them. Use A View to A Kill as a coaster.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is legit good

I'm not super into Bond movies, but that one is far and away my favorite out of what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Most Bond movies rule.

Get the collection one with all of them. Use A View to A Kill as a coaster.

Really? Not Die Another Day or the one where Connery goes all landlord from Breakfast at Tiffany's?