Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The preview for Sonnie's Edge really grabbed me -- I liked the aesthetic, the music -- but the writing is so loving bad I tapped out without even finishing the whole 17-minute episode. Just atrocious.

I hadn't realized at first it was an anthology series, but if that's what they lead with I don't think I'm interested.

Yeah the writing in that one was real bad. Honestly they are all wildly varying in quality, but Three Robots and Suits (I've switched my order of preference on rewatch) are the stand-outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

I heard it described elsewhere as a movie that tries to ride the line between reinforcing the "badass" nature of toxic masculinity to appeal to shithead viewers and condemning their worldview. Any merit to that?

I've seen this come up in a couple reviews and it's not wrong. But there is a complication. The condemnation of toxic masculinity in Triple Frontier is entirely right wing: being a shithead leads to breaking the law for personal gain, forfeiting your ability to be a good husband and father, putting your brothers-in-arms' lives in danger, losing your honor as a warrior, and so on. There is little-to-no focus on ruined lives and irreparable harm done to innocent people, real consequences for people other than the toxic men themselves (and their close associates). There's an interesting parallel between this movie and 13 Hours, which criticizes American foreign policy from the right using a similar focus on the experience of soldiers fighting a bad war, instead of a good one.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 16, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone (or a couple of people) mind posting a list of original programming for Hulu and Prime shows & movies that are objectively good or have been discussed so much they are relevant (even if the consensus is polarizing)?

I need to update the OP lists.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Would anyone (or a couple of people) mind posting a list of original programming for Hulu and Prime shows & movies that are objectively good or have been discussed so much they are relevant (even if the consensus is polarizing)?

Off the top of my head:

Hulu:
Handmaid's Tale
Runaways
Pen15
Shrill

Amazon Prime:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Bosch
Patriot
Homecoming
Transparent
Goliath
The Tick
Forever

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

triple frontier is actually quite good. it is strangely a mix of predator, the grey and sicario. the pace is slow and the tension really works.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Franchescanado posted:

Prime Original movies:
The Big Sick
Manchester By The Sea
Paterson
The Handmaiden
Neon Demon

Cold War is also coming to Prime soon. I still haven't seen The Salesman. They could be eliminated from the list, but I think they're worth a try. Neon Demon and The Handmaiden probably generated the most discussion out of all of those movies in the last thread, but I think that they are all legitimately great in their own ways. Paterson is probably my favorite, just because Jim Jarmusch.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 16, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Off the top of my head:

Hulu:
Handmaid's Tale
Runaways
Pen15
Shrill

Amazon Prime:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Bosch
Patriot
Homecoming
Transparent
Goliath
The Tick
Forever

Runaways is garbage

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Off the top of my head:

Amazon Prime:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Bosch
Patriot
Homecoming
Transparent
Goliath
The Tick
Forever

Comrade Detective is absent from this list.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Looks like Netflix has most, if not all, of the pre-Craig 007 movies up again. I watched Diamonds Are Forever last night. It’s not very good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Piell posted:

Runaways is garbage

I didn't care for the first season at all, and I'm skipping the second. I only included it because it's a Marvel show, so I figured some people would be interested regardless.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Comrade Detective is absent from this list.

Didn't even think of it. My wife thought the concept sounded too silly to bother with, and I haven't found the time to try it on my own.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PATRIOT

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Netflix

Glow
Black mirror
Russian Doll
Master of None
Love
Narcos

Netflix movies

Buster Scruggs
Roma
Wheelman
The ritual
Triple frontier
Velvet buzz saw

Obviously there’s way too much to name but that’s what immediately stands out to me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hulu:
Foreverman
Castle Rock
Difficult People
11.22.63 (I think?)
Fyre Fraud (as a companion to Netflix's Fyre doc)

Amazon:
The Lost City of Z
Fleabag

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 16, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
We only saw the first couple of episodes of Castle Rock. I liked it but forgot about it until now... how does it hold up over its run?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

pahuyuth posted:

We only saw the first couple of episodes of Castle Rock. I liked it but forgot about it until now... how does it hold up over its run?

I thought it got better and was overall good but kinda botches the ending, just like a Steven King book. I know we'll watch the 2nd season, and remember largely enjoying the 1st season in spite of some kinda eh reveals.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'll give it a shot when we're done watching S2 of the Stephen King Mr Mercedes series. Really digging it and I'm happy it will get a 3rd season. Brendan loving Gleeson is so drat good in everything.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
fuckin hell.. Felgueiras' English accent on the maddie Netflix doc is embarrassing

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Netflix: Arq hasn’t been mentioned. Groundhog Day but the guy gets kidnapped in a home invasion. Cool movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MST3K is too innocent and pure to not be on that list. It's from minnesota for crisstsake!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I remember watching Wheelman and I remember liking Wheelman but I honestly can't remember a single thing that happened in that movie.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
hulu:

Futureman

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Netflix has a lot of decent to good animated stuff too. Bojack, F is for Family, The Dragon Prince, Big Mouth, and Disenchantment are all worth a watch in my opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about Castlevania and Voltron too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, Free Solo is fantastic.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

precision posted:

Man, Free Solo is fantastic.

It really is, I had sweaty palms for most of the climbing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Didn't even think of it. My wife thought the concept sounded too silly to bother with, and I haven't found the time to try it on my own.
Comrade Detective is fantastic, totally worth carving out some time for it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Comrade Detective would've been a lot better if they actually stuck to the concept of a Romanian cop show made in the 1980's. Gotta go full Darkplace, if not why even bother.

Honest Thief posted:

fuckin hell.. Felgueiras' English accent on the maddie Netflix doc is embarrassing

I was going to check that poo poo thinking it was going to be some film, but it says Season 1 and it's 8 episodes. All 1 hour long, that's just insane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Comrade Detective and Patriot are easily the two best streaming shows like, ever

Mrs. Maisel season 1 too

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Electronico6 posted:

Comrade Detective would've been a lot better if they actually stuck to the concept of a Romanian cop show made in the 1980's. Gotta go full Darkplace, if not why even bother.

I was going to check that poo poo thinking it was going to be some film, but it says Season 1 and it's 8 episodes. All 1 hour long, that's just insane.

It's surprisingly better than I thought it contextualizes lot of what was going on in Portugal at the time. But it could honestly have been done in a 1hr and a half

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I need more Love, Death & Robots right the gently caress now. Cancel all other Netflix shows and turn the entire service into this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m having mixed feelings on Love Death and Robits.Some of it’s decent. Animatrix is still my gold standard for sci fi animated compilations and this hasn’t gotten anywhere close to that quality yet. The swears and edge feel desperate, like they’re not confident enough in the stories.

Zima Blue reminded me a lot of World Record, both Robert Valley and Takeshi Koike are on the same wavelength. But the direction in the former is just not quite good enough to have as much impact.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tin Star season 2 is horrendous. The first season was somewhat believable, but it was pretty much apocalyptic for the town and the family both. But at the start of the second season, after they all survive making their way down the mountain, poo poo gets ludicrous. Tim Roth is a free man despite kneecapping his deputy on main st in the middle of the day. His wife burned their house down but it's only mentioned in passing, it's not like it was even investigated for the obvious arson. Roth commits crimes roughly as often as Paul Manafort, steals police cars, assaults people and generally causes mayhem and it's just tolerated. Roth kneecaps his deputy again, in the other kneecap, and the other deputy never even loving mentions it when she sees him later. The amonites were really boring and the whole western ending was inexplicable; the justification for the showdown was they'd rather get their town obliterated than call the cops for help because it would mean the preacher would go to jail? Utter bullshit. There was very little tension built regarding the cartel because Roth and his wife, instead of taking them seriously as a foe, kept panicking about a character that won't even show up until next season. All the b plots get completely dropped for whole episodes at a time. Nobody in the show has consistent motivations, they all change on a whim to suit the plot's convolutions. The native tribes are hardly mentioned apart from one segment highlighting how skeezy and corrupt the law is on the reserve. The oil company isn't even mentioned outside of the first episode. There's so much more wrong with the series, I can't even remember it all. Utterly disappointing garbage throughout.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pahuyuth posted:

I'll give it a shot when we're done watching S2 of the Stephen King Mr Mercedes series. Really digging it and I'm happy it will get a 3rd season. Brendan loving Gleeson is so drat good in everything.

Where can I watch this?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Free Solo is great.

Triple Frontier is just stupid, what a way to misuse a great cast.

Edit: After Life is also very good.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 17, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Free Solo is great.

Triple Frontier is just stupid, what a way to misuse a great cast.

Edit: After Life is also very good.

lol what? Pascal and Isaac are great but the rest...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

beanieson posted:

lol what? Pascal and Isaac are great but the rest...

Well how many times do you see them together in a movie?

I like Affleck too........

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A couple of Hulu comedies I enjoyed: Deadbeat and Quick Draw.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Triple Frontier was pretty good. I liked that movie didn't spend too long pretending that they were the good guys just because they were robbing a drug lord, I love a good heist movie with a bunch of scumbags. It didn't blow my mind, but I still really enjoyed it, which seems to be where a lot of the Netflix films fall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Triple Frontier was pretty good. I liked that movie didn't spend too long pretending that they were the good guys just because they were robbing a drug lord, I love a good heist movie with a bunch of scumbags. It didn't blow my mind, but I still really enjoyed it, which seems to be where a lot of the Netflix films fall.

Yeah. Totally agreed.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Where can I watch this?

I'm not finding it on any of the big streaming services now, but it's an Audience network production so if you have that channel maybe you can catch it there. Otherwise, :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The preview for Sonnie's Edge really grabbed me -- I liked the aesthetic, the music -- but the writing is so loving bad I tapped out without even finishing the whole 17-minute episode. Just atrocious.

I hadn't realized at first it was an anthology series, but if that's what they lead with I don't think I'm interested.

Pretty much. I've watched 3 episodes so far (which to be fair is really early). Two of the three tried WAY too hard to be "mature", it felt like they were made by a fourteen year old trying to be edgy. Ironically the other one (Three Robots) was far better as it relied on mostly tongue and cheap humor which its MA rating more or less coming solely from occasional strong language.