Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I see you like to play....(survival) horror games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Someone on the Dolphin forums made some amazing looking AI upscaled artwork for RE2 and RE3:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-resident-evil-2-resident-evil-3-hd-ui-and-upscaled-textures
(download links at bottom of first post)

Obviously this only works on the Gamecube version played through Dolphin. You need to extract the zip files to My Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\ and also go to Graphics Settings > Advanced and tick both 'Load Custom Textures' and 'Prefetch Custom Textures'. (actually don't enable prefetching if you have 16gb RAM or less as Dolphin will crash :v:)

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 16, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Oh wow, that looks like something straight from REmake 1.

I would pay money for REmaster 3

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone else think that Capcom is loving up by not giving us the old-school games on PC? Honestly, just dump RE1-3 and CV:X into a bundle so we can still enjoy them. Then give us all variations in between.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Does anyone else think that Capcom is loving up by not giving us the old-school games on PC? Honestly, just dump RE1-3 and CV:X into a bundle so we can still enjoy them. Then give us all variations in between.

I'm a little surprised by this too, I want to say in like......2004? The PC ports of 1-3 got re-released but that was the last of them.

But god drat this RE2 remake? This is solid as hell like just remake all of them in that engine, Dino Crisis too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wouldn't mind a REmake REmake with the gameplay of REmake2, it's just so drat good.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Convex posted:

Someone on the Dolphin forums made some amazing looking AI upscaled artwork for RE2 and RE3:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-resident-evil-2-resident-evil-3-hd-ui-and-upscaled-textures
(download links at bottom of first post)

Oh wow, that Sakura reference was in RE3, before the RE2 remake. That's dedication to easter egging. I never did pay too much attention to the stores when I was playing RE3 back in the day, but this is always great to see.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Does anyone have actual gameplay footage of this? I'd love to see it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blight Runner posted:

Oh wow, that Sakura reference was in RE3, before the RE2 remake. That's dedication to easter egging. I never did pay too much attention to the stores when I was playing RE3 back in the day, but this is always great to see.

I'm wondering if you could have even read it in the original game with the lovely resolution.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I should add, currently versions of Dolphin removed the audio hack that made the music play properly, so if you want to try this out you can either use the latest 5.0 stable release or PM me and I can email you a custom version from the last few months with the hack reinstated

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WaltherFeng posted:

Yay, finished Leon A at 1:54. Now I have all the infinite weapons excluding the knife.

Hoping to unlock an infinite ammo gun soon because I just want to waste everything I see. Quick question: is that possible? To eliminate every enemy? Because that's my dream run no matter how long it takes.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Did anyone ever like QTEs? I can only remember people hating them, but despite this, they were a staple of AAA games for like 15 years.

Beaten. I'm an :corsair: and for maybe about 6 months QTE's were the poo poo in an old arcade game called Dragon's Lair but the short is answer is "no" and QTE's have always sucked. The fact that they work them into modern games during cut scenes when I go take a piss, grab a beer or do a bong hit only makes them worse.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wouldn't mind a REmake REmake with the gameplay of REmake2, it's just so drat good.

Definitely this. Remake all the games with the old tank controls.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 16, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Hoping to unlock an infinite ammo gun soon because I just want to waste everything I see. Quick question: is that possible? To eliminate every enemy? Because that's my dream run no matter how long it takes.

Perfectly possible. You don't even need the infinite weapons, just play on Assisted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Given the era they may have the same source control problem Konami did.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

for 1-3 sure, but CV was ported to the PS3 for example, it shouldnt be too hard to put that on Steam.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Do the PS3 or 360 versions of CV have physical copies?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Discendo Vox posted:

Like, they lost all of the stuff to recompile the code and give us native ports? If that's the case I'd just take purpose build emulators and ROM dumps. Nintendo does it, but apparently Capcom sucks at these things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Perfectly possible. You don't even need the infinite weapons, just play on Assisted.

Huh...I'll take your word for it. Thanks.

I think you're underestimating how bad I suck at this game though. Maybe if I step up my knife game.

I ran out of bullets on my first run before I even made it to the main hall so I'm having a hard time imaging it but I think I'm gonna try it though and not worry about time. Is there an achievement or anything for killing everything that moves?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Do the PS3 or 360 versions of CV have physical copies?

Only the Asia release of CV + RE4, but I don't think it has English text so might be a struggle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Like, they lost all of the stuff to recompile the code and give us native ports? If that's the case I'd just take purpose build emulators and ROM dumps. Nintendo does it, but apparently Capcom sucks at these things.

As in they don't even have the code or raw assets. This (plus a complete garbagefire midlevel exec who got fired) was apparently why the Silent Hill HD remakes were such a failure. Grate Debate did a video on it.

iirc one of the things that set Nintendo apart (of many) was that they had relatively good source control at times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh...I'll take your word for it. Thanks.

I think you're underestimating how bad I suck at this game though. Maybe if I step up my knife game.

I ran out of bullets on my first run before I even made it to the main hall so I'm having a hard time imaging it but I think I'm gonna try it though and not worry about time. Is there an achievement or anything for killing everything that moves?

Enemies get knocked down really quickly on Assisted and gunpowder of all combinations gives you a lot more ammo than on Standard. B runs are a still a bit different because of the different handgun/ammo but still pretty easy. If you slice every zombie as you knock them down like you’re playing RE4 you’re going to have ammo for days. The only place you might not be able to kill everything in is Ada’s section.

No achievement for killing everything though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Discendo Vox posted:

As in they don't even have the code or raw assets. This (plus a complete garbagefire midlevel exec who got fired) was apparently why the Silent Hill HD remakes were such a failure. Grate Debate did a video on it.

iirc one of the things that set Nintendo apart (of many) was that they had relatively good source control at times.

Well the funny thing about the Nintendo stuff is they pulled their SMB ROM from a website because it has a header in the file from an emulator dump or something. lol

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well the funny thing about the Nintendo stuff is they pulled their SMB ROM from a website because it has a header in the file from an emulator dump or something. lol

Not necessarily! Some people did some digging and it looks like Nintendo themselves hired one of the guys who developed the iNES emulator to help do that in an official capacity, so it makes perfect sense that Nintendo’s VC solution would have a lot of similarities with that amateur emulator.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

honestly, I still absolutely can't get over how good this game is and how it's everything I wanted in a RE2 remake and more

how the gently caress did this happen

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Convex posted:

Only the Asia release of CV + RE4, but I don't think it has English text so might be a struggle.

drat. Guess I'll stick with my DC copy until it hits Steam or something

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good soup! posted:

honestly, I still absolutely can't get over how good this game is and how it's everything I wanted in a RE2 remake and more

Same boat here.

It's the first game I've bought on launch day in probably 5 years (or whenever the last Arkham Batman game came out) and the only one I find myself playing when I have time to play games at all. Damned thing is like digital crack. Looking forward to my "kill everything" run no matter how long it takes me because gently caress these monsters. I want revenge.

Then bring on RE8.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I still want a Siren remake in this engine. I think it would be perfect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Discendo Vox posted:

I think in RE3's case at least they probably still have them because the PC version was IIRC based on the Dreamcast port like the Gamecube one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I feel that once a game series passes the 20 year mark that publishers get a pass went it comes to not making them available on current platforms.

I mean it's nice if they do, but I don't hold it against them.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Good soup! posted:

I never speedrun, or go for time attacks or anything like that. Yet here I am, going for that S+ Hardcore. I even literally just died in the middle of an attempt for the STUPIDEST reason (did the clock tower puzzle, made it past Mr. X and into the main lobby before realizing that I FORGOT TO PICK UP THE DAMNED PART, and then got chomped trying to make my way back), and yet as soon as I'm done with this post, I'm going right back in again. What a game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this is just my totally made up conjecture but i think the reason people who don't normally speed run (and i am one of those people) are enjoying it in RE2 remake because of a few simple things. or at least, this is why its more palatable to me. basically speed running this game doesn't really break the narrative flow of the game at all, a LOT of speed runs skip sections of the story or sequence break or whatever but other than the stair glitch speed running this is not far off just from taking a totally optimal route. and then the other thing is that two hours for a speed run is a pretty reasonable time investment into the game, and you don't have to practice this over and over and over in order to perfectly hit whatever to sequence break or glitch something. even if your speed run fucks up it's not much longer to finish as a regular game and it's useful practice for doing it again.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

this is just my totally made up conjecture but i think the reason people who don't normally speed run (and i am one of those people) are enjoying it in RE2 remake because of a few simple things. or at least, this is why its more palatable to me. basically speed running this game doesn't really break the narrative flow of the game at all, a LOT of speed runs skip sections of the story or sequence break or whatever but other than the stair glitch speed running this is not far off just from taking a totally optimal route. and then the other thing is that two hours for a speed run is a pretty reasonable time investment into the game, and you don't have to practice this over and over and over in order to perfectly hit whatever to sequence break or glitch something. even if your speed run fucks up it's not much longer to finish as a regular game and it's useful practice for doing it again.

Speaking as a person who never speedruns until this game, yeah.

I like limited saves which increases the tension and you actually get graded and rewarded for your efforts.

Its like playing an entirely different game because inventory and resource management are very important without constantly returning to item box. (Planning to do no item box run because its fun)

Compared to other classic REs, the combat is infinitely more interesting and how you deal with enemies in speed runs is a big part of the strategy

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I feel like speed running might ruin the game for me. Like, what’s the point of playing it ‘normally’ again, ya know?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

killing some mother fuckin zombies

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sponges posted:

I feel like speed running might ruin the game for me. Like, what’s the point of playing it ‘normally’ again, ya know?

Other than loving around, the "speed run" is the natural end point of a game like this. Be tighter in dodging, more accurate with shots, know where you need to go and how best to get there. That's a consequence of playing the same game again and again. There is no randomizer [Yet], so it's always the same things in the same places. So getting better natural reduces time spent to beat the game. That's a speed run in everything but intent, the score just formalizes it. You need to beat x amount of time [Possibly without a certain number of saves] to get this score.

And if you are loving around [I have a knife that never breaks, how far can I get JUST using that] you don't care about time so it doesn't come up. You'll go at your own pace making your own fun.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Andrigaar posted:

I have never liked QTEs and was about to uninstall and shelve Lords of Shadow 2 before I saw you could disable them in the options menu. Hell, I think "ki pulsing" in Nioh is obnoxious.

Didn't realize it was accessibility reasons. I just don't like them.

I hate QTEs but actually enjoyed the Ki Pulsing mechanic. You rarely have to engage with it if you don't want to, but if you do want to, it increases the skill ceiling a bit by asking you to keep track of the timing of your stamina bar during the action. I thought it was a fun take on the standard Dark Souls stamina bar. Since it's timing based and takes place during regular gameplay, I wouldn't lump it in with QTEs any more than I would parrying or other timing-based actions.

The Question IRL posted:

I was a big fan of games where the fight scenes are "press the buttons that show up on screen" ala a QTE. So the Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit/TellTale series of games, but only if they used it to make the fights something ludicrously over the top that couldn't be done in a regular control scheme.

I'd rather just have an over-the-top cutscene. The "interactivity" of a QTE is so asinine it isn't worth including. Plus, using them in key moments rather than testing the player on the skills that you should have been teaching them over the course of the game seems really lazy.

s.i.r.e. posted:

This was widely reported for a while, but it's almost definitely false. You can find the details online, if you're curious. The short answer is that the header information contains very basic information that tells emulators how to work, and the person who developed the emulator (and likely dumped the roms for nintendo) was one of the people who developed the header format for PC emulators to use. He would have almost definitely used the same format when developing for Nintendo.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 17, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

For what it's worth, you don't necessarily need the source code to do a solid remake. I know this gets cited as one of the reasons why the Silent Hill 2 HD release was so bad, but that had more to do with the development studio being bad the hardware being ill-suited to the task. Rather than using incomplete / old versions of source code, they should have just used the actual retail games.

Bluepoint Games is the best in the business at re-make / re-masters, and they don't use games' source code. They decompile the retail releases of games and rebuild them with the information they gather from there. They did the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, the PS3 Shadow of the Colossus / ICO HD release, the PS4 Shadow of the Colossus remake, the Uncharted Collection on PS4 and the God of War HD collection for PS3. It's possible to do really good work without using source code.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 17, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just let Bluepoint remake everrrthing. SOTC is a good example, its literally the same game, just prettier with entirely new assets.

Not everything necessarily has to be on the same scale as RE2make.

Still waiting for MGS3remake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Just let Bluepoint remake everrrthing. SOTC is a good example, its literally the same game, just prettier with entirely new assets.

I did not care for the new lighting effects and while I can say the graphics are "prettier" I prefer how the PS2 game looks hands down.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

il serpente cosmico posted:

Plus, using them in key moments rather than testing the player on the skills that you should have been teaching them over the course of the game seems really lazy.
This is why the RE2 remake is great, featuring seamless procedurally generated dynamic QTEs that tests precisely the skills the player picks up playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Barudak posted:

I did not care for the new lighting effects and while I can say the graphics are "prettier" I prefer how the PS2 game looks hands down.

I prefer the PS4 version, but I do think the PS2 original looked incredible for a PS2 game. Going back to it, the main problems are the low resolution and terrible frame rate. The PS2 version generally runs between 15 and 20 FPS during Colossus fights, which feels terrible and only looks OK because of the heavy motion blur of the original title. Being able to go back to it at 60FPS / 1080p was a real treat for me, particularly because Bluepoint did their best to stay true to the original's art.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is why the RE2 remake is great, featuring seamless procedurally generated dynamic QTEs that tests precisely the skills the player picks up playing the game.

I really like being able to choose on the fly if you want to burn a sub-weapon to avoid taking health and put yourself in a better escape position, or keeping the sub weapon and eating the damage. The different effects and consequences that each sub weapon has adds even more depth.

RE2R is good.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 17, 2019