Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You should be perfectly fine but it's also kind of antithetical to the Gen 5 idea of using the new guys instead of the guys you already used.

Well not entirely since you had access to most of the older monsters through the Dream World. There's a trade off though as their stats were more "balanced" while evolving earlier, having hidden abilities and having better movepools to work with.

You could get a Nidoking and Nidoqueen before the third gym and it would be a potential game breaker.

Of course this isn't helpful now that the Dream World is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

give us Gorochu you cowards

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Raichu suffers from an extreme case character assassination from the anime. Made him look like such a jerk every kid on the playground suddenly became a rabid anti-evolution zealot. All this talk about "But he doesn't learn quick attack!" as if that one move was some instant win button. The early anime in general has this weird anti-evolution thing going on that seems like someone on staff had a personal vendetta. And it's so weird because in the actual games evolving is like the whole point.

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure there are more than 1200 species of fish.

While Fish-type would make just as much sense as the Rock/Ground split and there are certainly a lot of them. The worst is monkeys. I hate monkeys. And there are always several new monkeys every gen. They must take up half the national Pokedex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was an anime episode with a nice Raichu though, the one with the Pokemon actors on the riverboat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Raichu is a good, chubby boy. Electric is my favorite element, so I was excited to get a Pikachu, and then after evolving him, I knew I had my favorite Pokémon. Bulbasaur was my first starter, but thunderbolt blasting, mega kicking Raichu was my star player.

And I’ve mentioned before that Alolan Raichu reminds me of that Peychic/Electric starter deck from the core set of the TCG, so he’s cool with me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Alolan Raichu is a good boy and we can now forget about regular Raichu existing.

All the recent Gen V talk made me want to replay White, so I just started doing that. Man! It feels good! Battles are fast, the story's introduced super quick and neatly, a rival fought me at the end of a route without healing me first, the music when you're at red is nice, the whole monkey thing is a nicer, organic way to tell you to git gud at type match ups and reward you for exploring, and I'm just having a good time with the early game so far.

Really makes me miss the auto-run from HGSS, tho.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I like regular Raichu's curly wire ears and little cord tail. Alolachu is also cute, they are both beautiful babies and I cherish them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I wish Alolan Raichu had longer arms. Its weird short stumps just look bad.

Otherwise its good as hell

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zore posted:

I wish Alolan Raichu had longer arms. Its weird short stumps just look bad.

Otherwise its good as hell

You gotta give something up to become a Biotic God.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

kanto raichu supremacy

:same:

Alolan Raichu would have my approval if it were Electric/Fairy like its rounded-everything design suggests but nope they went and typed it wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SuperKlaus posted:

:same:

Alolan Raichu would have my approval if it were Electric/Fairy like its rounded-everything design suggests but nope they went and typed it wrong.

Ahh yes the classic pure fairy type electrode.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There are too many good Pokemon in USUM! (And in general, really.) I'm only on Route 2 and I've had to make so many hard decisions about who to swap out.
I need Cutiefly on my team and I don't know who to replace.
:negative:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just rotate them around, that's what the Exp. Share is there for.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Trying to catch Beldum loving blows.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Solumin posted:

There are too many good Pokemon in USUM! (And in general, really.) I'm only on Route 2 and I've had to make so many hard decisions about who to swap out.
I need Cutiefly on my team and I don't know who to replace.
:negative:

In contrast, I just started a playthrough of Heart Gold (fuckin why. I've got enough poo poo to do.) and the early game choices are so dire, especially since I only want to use Gen 2 mons. So far I've got my starter and Sentret, and I guess I could add Unown if I fuckin wanted.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Diet Poison posted:

In contrast, I just started a playthrough of Heart Gold (fuckin why. I've got enough poo poo to do.) and the early game choices are so dire, especially since I only want to use Gen 2 mons. So far I've got my starter and Sentret, and I guess I could add Unown if I fuckin wanted.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my gen 2 only hg team was heracross, espeon, murkrow from pokewalker, dunsparce, feraligator, elekid

chef kiss of a team

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Funnily enough, I just caught Dunsparce in UM.

Current team is Litten, Pichu, Pikipek, Rattata-A, Grimer-A and now Ekans. Trying to use 'mons I've never used before!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thanks for the reminder that 99% of the illustrations for the Pokemon tcg are utter trash.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tthat's why i post the 1%

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bongo Bill posted:

give us Gorochu you cowards

this is just a Pikachu with an eyepatch and a knife

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ahh yes the classic pure fairy type electrode.

Yeah and Koffing's a rock so being rocky isn't a typical design element of Rock-types. Come on, look at Alolan Raichu's big eyes, round swirly ears, and stubby arms and honestly tell me it doesn't look more kin to Wigglytuff and Sylveon than Psychics.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Raichu suffers from an extreme case character assassination from the anime. Made him look like such a jerk every kid on the playground suddenly became a rabid anti-evolution zealot. All this talk about "But he doesn't learn quick attack!" as if that one move was some instant win button. The early anime in general has this weird anti-evolution thing going on that seems like someone on staff had a personal vendetta. And it's so weird because in the actual games evolving is like the whole point.

While Fish-type would make just as much sense as the Rock/Ground split and there are certainly a lot of them. The worst is monkeys. I hate monkeys. And there are always several new monkeys every gen. They must take up half the national Pokedex.

I forget the details but supposedly the lead writer of the first anime season was basically constantly trying to go shift the series into his own thing with contradictory messages to the games and what not.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

I forget the details but supposedly the lead writer of the first anime season was basically constantly trying to go shift the series into his own thing with contradictory messages to the games and what not.

Really? Well jeez, that explains a lot. Do you have a link to that information? It sounds interesting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah and Koffing's a rock so being rocky isn't a typical design element of Rock-types. Come on, look at Alolan Raichu's big eyes, round swirly ears, and stubby arms and honestly tell me it doesn't look more kin to Wigglytuff and Sylveon than Psychics.

Nah your weird TYPE ASTHETIC ESSENTIA is dumb and your own personal demons.

Rounded body parts with stubby arms are like...a lot of pokmeon, regardless of type. Hell it's got as much in common with normal types as it does fairy.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Ayyyy! :hfive:

How ya doin' fellow lux ball shiny Aegislash breeder? What nature ya go with?

I actually don't remember, but I know it was an atypical set with Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, Sacred Sword, and Shadow Sneak. No King's Shield to boot!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Really? Well jeez, that explains a lot. Do you have a link to that information? It sounds interesting.

Primary sources all seem to be in Japanese so no idea on the veracity but looking up Takeshi Shudo results in a lot of people talking about his plans for the anime that the producers stopped including

- Pokemon training being a no money/no respect career for all but the very best
- gym leaders having to resign after three losses
- Ash's dad being a deadbeat who never gave up Pokemon training despite sucking at it and basically being a hobo now.
- an anti battling Pokemon revolution... lead by Pikachu

And obviously the producers stopped all that and he left somewhat acrimoniously after the first season when it became clear he wasn't gonna be allowed to do that nonsense.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The third pokemon movie was supposed to be about people discovering actual dinosaur bones and the like, and learning that pokemon were descended from actual animals

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

This one would make sense, honestly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hopefully they revisit some of these ideas in detective pikatwo

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

The third pokemon movie was supposed to be about people discovering actual dinosaur bones and the like, and learning that pokemon were descended from actual animals

Are there details on this? That's wild.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

A Sometimes Food posted:

so, esports

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

A Sometimes Food posted:

And obviously the producers stopped all that and he left somewhat acrimoniously after the first season when it became clear he wasn't gonna be allowed to do that nonsense.

He also left due to failing health as well. The fact that he had a young daughter at the time was the reason for the third movie's plot being about a small girl missing her father and whatnot.

Yeah, it's funny how fans want a "darker and edgier" anime but Shudo's original ideas are pretty dark in themselves, but not in the way people wanted.

Oh and apparently you were also considered an adult at the age of 10 in Shudo's original draft, which includes all the trappings of being one (paying taxes, being tried as an adult and jailed if you commit a crime, age of consent etc). Also the main workforce is full of women because so many men would prefer to go on Pokémon journeys instead of getting actual jobs, which explains the existence of Nurse Joys and Officer Jennies.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 16, 2019

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
There's actually someone who's translated some of the light novels he wrote here.

The light novels come off as him putting out the first drafts they wouldn't let him make into episodes. The events around Pewter City are completely different. Brock's dad doesn't come back. Instead, Ash meets this incredibly old man who is a complete failure of a trainer. All he ever does is go from Pokemon Center to Pokemon Center nagging the Nurse Joys into passing him a medical exam so he can challenge gyms again. After Ash tells him how his mom and grandmother owned an inn in Pallet Town, the old man guesses Ash is his grandson because apparently he passed through and had a one night stand with Ash's grandma decades ago, so he gives Ash a Thunderstone. Pikachu decides it doesn't want to evolve way before meeting Lt. Surge.

After that, it all happens the same way, except at the end Brock's brother takes over because Ash is Brock's third loss, then we go through a whole routine where every increasingly younger sibling declares they'll take over the gym after the last sibling loses the gym, all the way down to a three-year old girl who, since she doesn't have any younger siblings, declares she'll marry a strong trainer if she loses. :stare:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

alpha_destroy posted:

Trying to catch Beldum loving blows.

If this is about Sun/Moon, it’s even worse in D/P/Pt. Swarm only in an area with a sandstorm.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Game Freak's reluctance to re-balance the catch rates on certain things is an under-appreciated bit of what the gently caress.

Beldum was clearly never meant to actually be caught in the wild.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mierenneuker posted:

If this is about Sun/Moon, it’s even worse in D/P/Pt. Swarm only in an area with a sandstorm.

in usum they're just on mt hokulani and the only danger is that they like to use recoil moves

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Golden Gael posted:

I actually don't remember, but I know it was an atypical set with Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, Sacred Sword, and Shadow Sneak. No King's Shield to boot!

You absolute madman. I love it.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Primary sources all seem to be in Japanese so no idea on the veracity but looking up Takeshi Shudo results in a lot of people talking about his plans for the anime that the producers stopped including

- gym leaders having to resign after three losses
- Ash's dad being a deadbeat who never gave up Pokemon training despite sucking at it and basically being a hobo now.
- an anti battling Pokemon revolution... lead by Pikachu

Zuzie posted:

He also left due to failing health as well. The fact that he had a young daughter at the time was the reason for the third movie's plot being about a small girl missing her father and whatnot.

Yeah, it's funny how fans want a "darker and edgier" anime but Shudo's original ideas are pretty dark in themselves, but not in the way people wanted.

Oh and apparently you were also considered an adult at the age of 10 in Shudo's original draft, which includes all the trappings of being one (paying taxes, being tried as an adult and jailed if you commit a crime, age of consent etc). Also the main workforce is full of women because so many men would prefer to go on Pokémon journeys instead of getting actual jobs, which explains the existence of Nurse Joys and Officer Jennies.

Pardon my french but this man sounds a tad batshit. I mean...I don't know how to phrase this but all his ideas seem a wee bit loving horrible. Most especially you're considered an adult by age 10 and that also counts as the age of consent. What the ever living poo poo. WHY WAS THAT SPECIFIED????? :stonklol:
And combining that with Brock's youngest sister's quote makes it a thousand times worse :gonk:

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was that the same guy who called the rotating girls in Ash's group "eye-candy"?